PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin gets extension

FessJL0861
07-13-2010, 04:01 PM
I just found this:

ESPN.com news services

Mike Tomlin erased any doubts he could follow in the footsteps of Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher when he led the Steelers to a Super Bowl victory in his second year. Now, Pittsburgh has reportedly rewarded the coach with a three-year contract extension, despite missing the playoffs in 2009.

The Steelers have agreed to a three-year extension with Tomlin, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported Tuesday. The newspaper reported that financial terms were not known.

The Post-Gazette reported that Steelers president Art Rooney, who negotiated Tomlin's extension, is on vacation and could not be reached for comment.

Tomlin's current contract, which averaged $2.5 million annually, had one season and an option year remaining.

In 2009, the Steelers finished 9-7, losing five in a row and missing the playoffs a season after winning the Super Bowl -- the first champion to miss out on the following postseason since the Steelers themselves in 2006.

The Steelers have had just three coaches in the last 41 years: Noll (23 seasons and four Super Bowl victories), Cowher (15 seasons and one Super Bowl win) and Tomlin (three and one).

The 38-year-old Tomlin has a 31-17 record in three seasons as the Steelers' coach.

I think it is a well deserved extension, and I really think that the Rooney's are at the top of NFL ownership.

Wordsworth
07-13-2010, 05:43 PM
There's already a topic in the Steelers section http://footballproslive.com/showthread.php/384-Tomlin-to-get-three-year-extension

DannyMilk
07-14-2010, 04:29 AM
He deserves it, and he will be there for the next decade barring anything shocking...I agree, I like the way Pit handles things...also do really like the way my Bears do things too...very classy, and if it's not classy, you can follow Cedric and Tank to Cincy...

IndyColtsFan
07-15-2010, 03:47 AM
Well deserved- already won one Super Bowl and I'm sure they will be back competing for another one in the near future- just not this year IMO

Chompurself
07-21-2010, 03:41 AM
Yea you gotta admire the Steelers organization. They understand the importance of stability and loyalty. There is a reason for all the success in this teams history and its because of the class and loyalty from the top all the way to the bottom. Good Pittsburgh, you know how to find a coach and how to keep em

Dave Lapham
07-21-2010, 11:26 AM
I agree about admiring how the Steelers run their organization. Continuity and consistency are two huge keys to the success of the Steelers. It is amazing the run head coaches have had. 23 years for Noll, 15 for Cowher, and I think Tomlin will be there a long time. Assistant coaches and players love him. His approach, demeaner, people skills are all top shelf. He can teach the game and motivate people to play it.

Kosar19
07-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Why does it have to be the team I hate the most that is the best run NFL organization? WHY??? I do respect the way trhat franchize handles things. They actually at least gave thought to if they should keep Roethlisberger around after what happened. Not many teams would have even considered it. I think that means a lot.