PDA

View Full Version : 18 game schedule and increased amount of injuries?

OverTheTop
07-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Dr. P,

While the NFL is proposing a possible 18 game regular season schedule in the future, I ask myself... " How much physical punishment can the human body take?" I know these guys are some of the best athletes in the world and most of them take great care of their bodies year round, but could you share your perspective on how much of an increased damage toll will be taken on these bodies with two more games?

If I was a player I would not want to play the additional two games, even if it meant being paid more, especially if I'm a veteran with a lot of wear and tear already accumulated. In conclusion, do you think 18 games is too much or will it be something that the pro's can adapt to??

Dr Stephen Pomeranz
08-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Ott
The injuries in the NFL and their frequency, despite better equipment, are a major determinant of a teams success.
Many injuries are cumulative , in other words, they affect the quality of a mans life until he dies.

As a fan, I would love to see an 18 game schedule but, as a physician, the intensity of play is much higher than in preseason and will inevitably result in more injuries, more severe injuries and more chronic problems later in life

All the best
Dr Pomeranz

BuckeyeRidley
08-10-2010, 11:19 PM
Ott
The injuries in the NFL and their frequency, despite better equipment, are a major determinant of a teams success.
Many injuries are cumulative , in other words, they affect the quality of a mans life until he dies.

As a fan, I would love to see an 18 game schedule but, as a physician, the intensity of play is much higher than in preseason and will inevitably result in more injuries, more severe injuries and more chronic problems later in life

All the best
Dr Pomeranz

Love your professionalism Doc. What can a player do to better prepare for an 18 game regular season schedule? Hyperbaric Chamber like T.O.? Work-out in various sports like Dhani Jones on The Travel Channel? I'd think players & coaches would need to be more sensitive to their body.