PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Announcers?

IndyColtsFan
07-14-2010, 01:55 AM
Who are your favorite announcers? Beside Cris and Al who else do you enjoy listening too? Anyone listen to their team's announcers while watching the game on tv?

GoBigOrGoHome
07-14-2010, 02:01 AM
Growing up in Detroit and listening to Ernie Harwell call Tigers games has made me a pretty tough grader when it comes to announcers. i have to stay in school here -- Keith Jackson.

TheLinc
07-14-2010, 02:03 AM
Announcers - god bless them - should be like officials. Noticed, appreciated, but not a spectacle.

DannyMilk
07-14-2010, 02:39 AM
Listen to Joniak on the radio here in Chicago...he's a love em/hate em guy, but all my friends love him. I know it sounds dumb, but on Fox I actually don't mind Stockton. I think he's the most listenable guy Fox has, unless I'm leaving people out, which I probably am, but for the most part that's who the Bears get at Noon.

I have Sirius radio, and the only announcers that I actually pay attention or at least that have stuck out are Cowboys (decent), Patriots (like them a lot), Giants (not too big a fan)...and I think the last one was either a team in Florida or Cali...I forget, I wanna say Bucs, Jags, or Chargers...I only listened once, but it really felt like a minor league broadcast. Both men were just bad at there job, and I have no problem when a radio guy is clearly cheering for the home team, but they were acting like they were sitting at home just talking to each other. Again, I wish I could remember which team it was, but I was listening one day and just felt really bad for the city/fans of the team that had to put up with that.

Polishguy00
07-14-2010, 07:08 AM
There are a lot that I don't mind. The one group I rip is Joe Buck and Troy Aikman despite Aikman's good insight and Buck's intelligence.

I always enjoy the man with the same heritage in Ron Jaworski, no matter what he is doing. I do like Cris and Al, and not just because Cris started this site. He really is a good guy on the air. I liked Pat and John before John got tired and old. I mean that, physically, it was clear that the Madden bus was taking a toll on Madden the last few years. He still would bust out one really awesome detailed observance per game in the last year, but it used to happen all the time. I remember a lot of Keith Jackson. I even like a bit of Don Criqui (sp?) every now and then. I liked the NFL crew that I remember as a kid between 1988-1994.

Kosar19
07-14-2010, 09:26 AM
The guys that I like are all radio guys, and they're all local. We've got Tom Hamilton caling baseball and Joe Tait calling basketball and I haven't fount anyone to top them yet. Jim Donovan calls browns games, and he's OK, but the best I've heard are the guys who call Bengals games. I don't know their names, but I'm always both entertained and informed. When the Browns play the Bengals, I try and listen to the Cincy broadcast I them that much.

Cris Collinsworth
07-14-2010, 10:33 AM
There is a difference for local broadcasters, they can cheer for your team. The thing that always makes me laugh is that everybody thinks we are cheering AGAINST their team. I have done games where people swear that I have cheered against BOTH teams depending on their rooting interest. The most asked question I get is, "why do you hate the _______? Just fill in the blank with the team that fan cheers for. I used to fight it, now I just say "I don't know, I just hate them." The looks I get are priceless. THEN, I explain why they are wrong. Football is emotional for everybody, that is what makes it so much fun. Usually, I end up having a good laugh with the fans, but not always.

nickgage
07-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Having grown up in Texas and listening to the Cowboys Radio Network, my favorite announcer is Brad Sham. Brad has been calling Cowboys games for 30 years and has gone through several color guys. I think my favorite color guy that Brad has been with is Dale Hansen, but his current color guy, Babe Laufenberg, is a close second.

I recently subscribed to Sirius, so I am looking forward to listening to some of the other announcers out there.

Kosar19
07-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Chris,
I really think that's what may seperate the national broadcasters from each other. It seems that some are so concerned with being non-partial that they sound bland. I'm sure it's a fine line to walk, but that's what makes the good ones good.

Polishguy00
07-14-2010, 12:34 PM
I think if both groups of fans hate you at the end of a broadcast, it seems like it means you did a pretty good job.

Cris Collinsworth
07-14-2010, 12:43 PM
One of my favorites was Harry Carey with the Cubs. He suffered with the fans through the broadcast, and if it didn't work out he just had another beer. It was like a fan had taken over the booth and locked the door. He cracked me up without trying to. But, he was enthusiastic every single day, and that is the key. If you don't love it, it just won't work.

Cris Collinsworth
07-14-2010, 12:49 PM
You are talking about Brad Johansen and my man Dave Lapham who is a contributor on FPL. They are very good because they know what they are talking about. The only guys that I don't like are the announcers who don't do their homework. I don't let style get in the way if I think a guy has done the work. I may agree or disagree, but don't make it up. Tell me something I don't know. Show me an angle I didn't see. Tell me about a guy I haven't met. There is time for all of it if you have done the work.

Pruitt
07-14-2010, 01:52 PM
I always liked Dick Enberg. Never gets too carried away, but you can sense his excitement when things get dramatic.

Kosar19
07-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Keith Jackson with college footballmay have been the best, I really enjoyed when he called a game.