PDA

View Full Version : Re-visit to 18 game season-New Article

Polishguy00
07-14-2010, 07:40 AM
I am against the 18 game season, but I have to admit that if the scenarios posed in this article are really possible, I certainly can be sold.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/john_lopez/07/13/schedule/index.html?eref=sihp

I still have to really think about it and there are still the same problems with injuries, but as many have have said, when ideas like this come up, they tend to eventually happen. This is a way I could be sold.

Resdog154
07-14-2010, 05:04 PM
I'm not a big fan of 18 game schedule either, but if it would get a labor deal done than so be it.
I do disagree with the linked article's position on eliminating all pre-season games. I believe they do have merit in helping coaches evaluate and fine-tuning before the "real" games begin.
2 pre-season games should fill this role nicely. My biggest problem with pre-season is the full price of game tickets and mandatory purchase with ticket packages.
I've never been convinced that 2 extra games would cause massive amounts of inuries. 12 teams play extra games each season and don't seem to be that much worse for the wear.

Colts01
07-14-2010, 05:21 PM
I would have to think that they would expand the game day roster to keep starters off of special teams etc,and the resting the players issue at the end of the year would become even more a big deal

OverTheTop
07-14-2010, 06:48 PM
I would have to think that they would expand the game day roster to keep starters off of special teams etc,and the resting the players issue at the end of the year would become even more a big deal

I agree Colts, an expanded gameday roster would definitely be important for making it work.

Polishguy00
07-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Good points, an expanded roster is essential to success.

williwonte
07-14-2010, 07:51 PM
I think this is the wrong way to go. You know they will expand the season and the roster. Players will end up smaller paychecks and the owners will get the money they want.

Denver
01-24-2011, 09:07 PM
I like the idea of the 18 game season. I think it would be great for all the fans. If it were to happen you would have to adjust the salary cap. This would make sure the players get paid more for playing more. The only down side I can think of is if the players bodies can take that much hitting.

darvon
01-24-2011, 09:15 PM
The 18 Game season will cause thousands of deaths. And I can prove it. Just think of the scheduling of adding 2 more games and 1 more bye. That means that the NFC and AFC Championship games will be on Valentines Weekend, with Valentine falling on a Sunday in 2015.

Blood will flow in the streets like salsa....

GoBigOrGoHome
01-24-2011, 09:25 PM
The 18 Game season will cause thousands of deaths. And I can prove it. Just think of the scheduling of adding 2 more games and 1 more bye. That means that the NFC and AFC Championship games will be on Valentines Weekend, with Valentine falling on a Sunday in 2015.

Blood will flow in the streets like salsa....

Dude, come back to Earth. Seriously.