PDA

View Full Version : Stanford Quarterbacks

AZCardsFan
07-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Turk,

You were at Stanford during a pretty distinguished run of QBs and you even had John Elway as a back up (I'm imagining that there are few people who get to say this). In recent years, Stanford has produced a bit of NFL QB talent, albeit without as high of a success rate. Assuming that you are still paying attention to Cardinal Football now that Staford has had a resurgence, how good do you think Andrew Luck can be? In college or the NFL?

As a Stanford Alum and season ticket holder, I wish he would play one more season under the radar so that we can have him through 2011...but that's becoming wishful thinking.

Turk Schonert
07-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Good to hear from a fellow alum. First, I've got to say what a terrific job Jim Harbaugh has done in resurrecting Stanford football from the dead. I don't get very many opportunities to see Stanford games on TV living on the east coast. But what I have seen is a talented QB that will continue to grow and get better under Harbaugh's tutelage. Luck has size (6'4 234) and athleticism. He completed only 56.3% of his passes last year and he needs to improve on that. Last year he had a tremendous running game to take the pressure off of him. This season he will be the guy, how he responds to that pressure will surely show how talented he is and what type of leader he is. I think Andrew can become one of the top QB's in college football, its right there in front of him. It's still too early to make the call as far as the NFL is concerned, but he is on the right path. Having missed the Sun Bowl game due to an injury ought to make him hungry to get to a bowl this season, a Pac 10 title and a major bowl would be nice !!
Go Cardinal !

AZCardsFan
07-15-2010, 07:37 PM
A Pac 10 title and a major bowl would be nice !!
Go Cardinal !

Man would it ever!? It's there for the taking. And for those who don't know- it's Cardinal. Singular, like the color - not the bird (sorry - personal pet peeve)

PumpknOne
07-23-2010, 11:07 PM
If the subject is Stanford QBs, as a Bills fan, I must ask you this. Is Trent Edwards a NFL starting QB?

msclemons
07-23-2010, 11:42 PM
As a Cal fan I have to mention that everyone in this thread is evil. That being said, Luck looks like he has the "IT" factor for a QB. If he can improve his accuracy a bit he'll be stellar this year.

I'll be rooting for him to do well as long as he doesn't do quite as well as Cal :)

Turk Schonert
07-24-2010, 01:01 PM
If the subject is Stanford QBs, as a Bills fan, I must ask you this. Is Trent Edwards a NFL starting QB?

Good question ? It's a funny business isn't it. Remember the first half of '08 when everyone was saying Trent Edwards was going to be a star and they were all clamoring for interviews ? He was playing aggressively, making throws, winning games and he and I were on the same page.

Trent still has that guy in him but he needs to find him fast. An injustice was done to Trent last year. He had too many people in his ear telling him different things while having to run a completely stagnant offense. That's extremely difficult on a young QB. This year should be better. Chan Gailey runs the offense and calls plays, so he'll have one voice in his ear. I believe Trent can be a starter in this league, but only if he finds the Trent Edwards that played in the first half of '08.

Turk Schonert
07-24-2010, 01:06 PM
As a Cal fan I have to mention that everyone in this thread is evil. That being said, Luck looks like he has the "IT" factor for a QB. If he can improve his accuracy a bit he'll be stellar this year.

I'll be rooting for him to do well as long as he doesn't do quite as well as Cal :)

We even welcome Cal alum and fans to this site, isn't America great ?
You will always have the "PLAY" over us. Elway still has nightmares over that one !
Go Cardinal !!