PDA

View Full Version : Why is Pete Carroll back in the NFL

jeffwaytowich
07-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Given the debacle that is USC and his history of NFL mediocrity, why is Pete Carroll even back in the NFL?

This guy has to be the most overrated coach in Football today. He played with a stacked deck in USC and still ran a dirty program.

Now I read on PFT today that he's bring his USC tactic to the NFL: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/16/pete-carroll-dances-on-tampering-line-with-albert-haynesworth/

Over under on the length of his tenure in Seattle?

ElShay
07-16-2010, 12:35 PM
He's back because he ran a successful pro team in LA. If the NCAA was actually serious about investigating teams for violations, most of the big programs in the nation would be found guilty. Yes SEC, i'm looking at you.

theshow47
07-16-2010, 12:41 PM
I think debacle is a tad of an overstatement. The NCAA was on a witch hunt for USC reguardless of how you feel about USC you have to know that the NCAA's case is based on loose associations and testimony from a man who claimed to be an agent (PS he never started his sports agency) also he is a convicted felon on drug and money laundering charges.

With that said to call Pete Carroll's initial tenur in the NFL mediocure isnt accurate. I mean the guy was in the playoffs twice and his career record is 1 game over .500. And less we forget Bill Belicheck was fired from the Cleveland Browns after 4 years and one trip to the playoffs. I don't know if his high energy style will work men compared to the way it work for the young men he coached at USC.

Why do you think this man is an overrated football coach? Do you draw that conclusion from the buzz that the Seahawks are generating? I think is properly hyped, a successful college coach coming back to the NFL for a second stint. Its not like people are fawning over this excrement like they are with the genius of Belicheck or Peyton.

ElShay
07-16-2010, 12:48 PM
He's bringing sexy back to coffee town. The Seahawks were terrible last year, he's bringing excitement and hope for the season. I think the Jaguars ownership would have loved if he did the same in Jacksonville. I wonder how Bills or Browns fans would react if he was doing this for their team?

cobber66
07-16-2010, 12:56 PM
I actually think Seattle will be a very good team this year under Carroll, and could even win that division. The roster and staff moves he's made, as well as the schedule, put them in a favorable position going into this year.

williwonte
07-16-2010, 02:04 PM
He will do what he does. He seems to be very implacable in the face of criticism. It should be an interesting year. He is starting with a division that is already in a bad point spread.

jeffwaytowich
07-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Why do you think this man is an overrated football coach? Do you draw that conclusion from the buzz that the Seahawks are generating?

I just see a rash of hyped College coaches fall on their faces, so that means nothing to me. Also, the way he cut bait on USC can't be so easily dismissed. I think it very Saban-ish in terms of being slimey.

What about that spineless press conference he had when Sanchez left USC "too early"?

jeffwaytowich
07-16-2010, 04:52 PM
I think debacle is a tad of an overstatement.

I think it is an apt term. Any time a program has to forfeit a National Championship it qualifies as a debacle in my books.

theshow47
07-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Sorry bro-sef they haven't had to forfeit a title, the AP refuses to remove their title....and well who gives a **** about the BCS

TommyBry
07-16-2010, 09:18 PM
I agree, Carroll is so overrated as a coach. Sucked with the Jets. Took a super bowl pats team and got worse every year. He was a great recruiter at SC (and appearantly a smidge dirty) but not a good game coach. When he has more talent than you he will blow you out. Put him in a close game and he chokes. (think I'm wrong, go watch a tape of the way he butchered the clock in the Texas BCS championship game). The biggest thing he has going for him is that he is such a good guy, everybody (especially the media) love him.

TheLinc
07-16-2010, 10:15 PM
To answer the question of WHY he's back in the NFL: You didn't think he was going to get caught with his finger in the dyke when the world came down on USC, did ya?

Can't really intelligently speculate about duration though, at least a couple seasons. He brings some credibility and attention to a program that's been on the backburner of a crappy division since their 2006 success.

Tinindian
07-16-2010, 10:23 PM
To answer the question of WHY he's back in the NFL: You didn't think he was going to get caught with his finger in the dyke when the world came down on USC, did ya?

This!

Of course he got while the gettin' was good. I never thought too much of him as a pro coach either. We'll see this go around, maybe he learned something he can use at the NFL level. Not sure what that would be, but maybe something.

TheLinc
07-16-2010, 10:36 PM
This!

Of course he got while the gettin' was good. I never thought too much of him as a pro coach either. We'll see this go around, maybe he learned something he can use at the NFL level. Not sure what that would be, but maybe something.

I mean, he wrote the book on how to win forever, so he's got that going for him. Which is nice.

Tinindian
07-16-2010, 11:07 PM
I mean, he wrote the book on how to win forever, so he's got that going for him. Which is nice.

Points for paraphrasing Caddyshack!

Pruitt
07-16-2010, 11:54 PM
He's bringing sexy back to coffee town. The Seahawks were terrible last year, he's bringing excitement and hope for the season. I think the Jaguars ownership would have loved if he did the same in Jacksonville. I wonder how Bills or Browns fans would react if he was doing this for their team?

I'd prefer to see an 8"x10" picture of Tom Landry on the Browns or Bills sideline as opposed to what we have now.

Still, I think Carroll's a sleazeball and an opportunist. Which of course does not mean he's a bad coach.

BayouBoys
07-17-2010, 04:46 AM
I'd prefer to see an 8"x10" picture of Tom Landry on the Browns or Bills sideline as opposed to what we have now.

Still, I think Carroll's a sleazeball and an opportunist. Which of course does not mean he's a bad coach.

Exaaaactly. He'll be fine if they win games. But who is fine when you lose? haha.

TheLinc
07-17-2010, 08:23 AM

At this point in sports history, it's a prerequisite :P

"...and I led the school to a historic streak of wins and national title runs, in turn leading to epic amounts of draft picks and recruitment for the program."
"Mmmmhmmm."
"The NCAA just put my program on parole and took away scholarships for the improprieties I indulged in and endorsed to get those wins and the recruits that led to it."
"HIRED!"

....but enough about Coach Calipari....

DannyMilk
07-17-2010, 10:39 AM
loved seeing Calipari at the NBA draft...he just screams "arrest me! arrest me!"

kotar44
07-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Odd to see the hostility here, unless you were a fan of another Pac-10 school during his reign at USC. We know he can recruit like a mofo, and like someone else said he essentially ran a pro team at USC (you all know they don't go to classes there, right?), but with the hammer coming down he had to leave, so why not give the bigs another shot? As for the Hawks, notoriety ain't a bad thing, and it's worth the gamble to see if he can pull a Belichek and become god-like in his second go round

Resdog154
07-17-2010, 10:56 AM
For the Seahawks to move from the Holmgren regime (a proven NFL winner) to a popular but not necessarily talented college coach is going to be a huge step backward for the franchise. I expect Cleveland to fare better than Seattle in the years to come.

KabaModernFan
07-17-2010, 11:38 PM
The move makes 100% sense for Carroll, nearly no sense for the Seahawks. Nobody can fault Carroll for getting the hell away from USC before everything came crumbling down, but the Seahawks never should've offered him a job in the first place. Yes, he seems like a very friendly and very personable guy that your fanbase can get behind...but he can't coach an NFL team. We all watched him take that Patriots Super Bowl team and promptly run them into the ground. The Seattle fans won't stand by him for very long if he doesn't produce wins. God bless those Seattle fans too, they deserve a winner maybe more than anyone else.

Tinindian
07-18-2010, 12:33 AM
Odd to see the hostility here, unless you were a fan of another Pac-10 school during his reign at USC.

I don't think anyone is being particularly hostile. We've just seen this show twice before and it wasn't very good either time. I am not sure it's worth watching a 3rd time.

InNOutBurgler
07-18-2010, 07:17 AM
He's back because he ran a successful pro team in LA. If the NCAA was actually serious about investigating teams for violations, most of the big programs in the nation would be found guilty. Yes SEC, i'm looking at you.

Maybe most but not all...and if they are dirty they aren't dumb enough to get caught. It's hard to have a clean, successful program athletically AND academically (Yes USC I know you're looking at us!)

Love-Joe Paterno

Chompurself
07-18-2010, 07:17 AM
Because he knew that the NCAA sanctions were coming this season and saw his opportunity to escape. If you believe otherwise then you are mistaking my friend. Pete Carroll has had opportunities at other NFL vacancies in the past few seasons....Seattle is definitely not the sexiest of them but the timing was definitely right this time.....Way to stay outta dodge Pete and throw all those 19-21 year old recruits under the bus.

InNOutBurgler
07-18-2010, 07:20 AM
As a Dolphins fan, I enjoyed Pete's NFL run with the Pats. Good Job SC by the way of hiring such a squeaky clean guy to replace him