PDA

View Full Version : Shaq to the NFL

mjchefer
07-16-2010, 05:12 PM
WARNING= THIS POST IS NOT A JOKE!
Ok... so here's the thing. No one wants to take Shaq in the NBA. Shouldn't he try playing in the NFL? I mean, he is a 7'1", 325 pounds... He's still got some agility... Can't he find work as a defensive lineman somewhere? Or even a full back? A really, big and heavy full back? Could this happen? What time could take a gamble on him? At what position? I really think we can tweet Shaq into doing this.

Andy Freeland
07-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Tight end. He would trot 7 yards past the line and the QB would throw it high. How could you possibly stop that?

google hank stram wilt chamberlain. Stram worked out Chamberlain with the Chiefs. They were ready to sign him on the spot to play WR, but he only wanted to play QB.

mjchefer
07-16-2010, 06:12 PM
NO WAY! I just read the article (http://www.sportingnews.com/archives/wilt/article10.html). That's insane. I really hadn't thought of tight end... Wouldnt he get injured real easy... I mean, he would be one huge punching bag! Although, I agree, he would make one mean TE.

Andy Freeland
07-16-2010, 06:33 PM
He would get beat up, but isn't that what he does best? and they couldn't hit him until after he caught it.
For anyone that's seen Princess Bride, think of the scene with Cary Elwes on Andre the Giant's back. Now imagine the same scene with Shaq and Troy Polamalu.
Plus he would never have to attempt another free throw.

Cris Collinsworth
07-16-2010, 06:48 PM
I don't think it would work, but I sure hope I get to call his first game. You only have to get flipped on your head a few times to re-think whether that jump ball play is a good idea when you already have millions in the bank. Suit him up. I would pay to see that pre-season game.

IndyColtsFan
07-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Shaq to the NFL? doubt it- he is too tall- his knees would take such a beating from people taking advantage of the lengtrh of his legs

DannyMilk
07-17-2010, 02:38 AM
yeah his body would break down way too quick...and he didn't want to run the floor with a sport he's memorized and mastered, why with an entirely new sport...they'd need a 90 second play clock

TheLinc
07-17-2010, 02:51 AM
Isn't he 38-ish now? And the same guy who complained that Popovich was sending his hounds intentionally after him on the glass to get him to the line (the now famous Hack-a-Shaq strategy)? And the same guy who can't get up and down the length of a basketball in court in time to even establish an appropriate half-court offense without huffing and sweating the whole time? And the guy who can't share the spotlight with other stars without drawing attention to the fact that he's willing to give up his ego to benefit the team, which in turn draws attention to himself and bolsters his ego? Hasn't had a meaningful game in four years? Work ethic? Learn a new game? A new system? A new role? And isn't he 38-ish now?

BayouBoys
07-17-2010, 05:11 AM
You say imagine Troy on his back....Now imagine Troy slamming into his knee's and it would be Lawrence Taylor hits all over again. Leave his legacy on the basketball court which he dominated for years. My favorite interview from shaq was when he was in high school (I believe)

News reporter: So what is the secret to your teams success, Shaq?
Shaq: There is no secret...It's me!

Perfect.

Kosar19
07-17-2010, 10:37 AM
I think he should be brought into the NFL for interview purposes only. I think he's funny, and that would be entertaining.

Pattrick
07-17-2010, 02:45 PM
I've heard Cris say something about "clowns flipping you on your head" about a million times on Madden, I'm pretty sure Shaq doesn't want that kind of abuse. He's be such a huge target and everyone on the field would be wanting to prove to Shaq that he made a mistake by trying to play football. He's not all that mobile and he's not all that fast.

My guess is that he re-signs with the Heat. He had a decent relationship with Big Z last year and at this point, I think he wants to go out a winner and also wants more rings than Kobe.

Although I don't follow basketball at all. I haven't followed basketball since the early 00's when my Knicks had those epic battles with the Pacers.

Now my Knicks just have epic battles with themselves in the shower rooms.

IndyColtsFan
07-17-2010, 07:41 PM
No I highly doubt he goes back to the Heat, when he left he burnt bridges down with that franchise; he might want to come back but the Heat won't want him

BuckeyeRidley
07-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Good point Dawg! I think that Shaq qould be good playing football. I think he wouldn't play very long because of his age but would be able to have the type of capability to get the job done & make some cool plays.

I think he could get a shot like Brock Lesner, who just won an MMA match, who tried out for the Vikes back over a few years ago. This could be a possibility. Who knows? The NFL is an unconventional league and stranger things have happened like Joe Willie Namath leaving the Jets!!!

KabaModernFan
07-18-2010, 12:31 AM
Shaq would be terrible in the NFL. He's way too out of shape and he'll get injured way too easily. He's having trouble finding a job in the NBA, there's no way he would land on an NFL roster. That being said....I think Shaq and Ochocinco on the same team would be hilarious. And I'm almost positive they would single-handedly shatter the records for "Most Times Fined in a Season".

Colts01
07-18-2010, 12:38 AM
maybe shaq circa 2000....

Tinindian
07-18-2010, 01:25 AM
Yep, 10 years ago Shaq would have made a sick TE. Now he's just too old. He looks old on the court, how do you think he would look on a football field?

msclemons
07-18-2010, 02:30 AM
Don't the Raiders have a recent opening for a big, slow 300 lb QB?

JaShaqus.. make it happen.

Chompurself
07-18-2010, 08:24 AM
Shaq although he is a great athlete his body cant make through a nba game what make you think he can with stand a nfl game in pads with all kinds of falling near his knees all the time. He wouldn't last long at all.

Chompurself
07-18-2010, 08:25 AM
JaShaqus lol I think it could stick!!

Colts01
07-18-2010, 01:50 PM
don't the raiders have a recent opening for a big, slow 300 lb qb?

Jashaqus.. Make it happen.

we have a winner!!!!

DannyMilk
07-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Don't the Raiders have a recent opening for a big, slow 300 lb QB?

JaShaqus.. make it happen.

Well done...as I read that all I heard in my mind was Simmons patented shriek of "Oh NO!"

mjchefer
07-19-2010, 12:08 PM
WOW... hold on people. My initial suggestion is SHAQ at Full Back!!! In that case, conditioning doesnt really come into play... He just sits around until the team needs to gain short yardage... 1-2 yards either for the first down or the Touchdown... I dont see how he wouldnt be effective?!

MattBer2c
07-19-2010, 12:42 PM
I've heard Cris say something about "clowns flipping you on your head" about a million times on Madden, I'm pretty sure Shaq doesn't want that kind of abuse.
Hahaha, I was thinking the same thing: "...one of those clowns flip you upside-down".

As for being a fullback, I don't see it. He's too tall to do that. What kind of leverage can he get? He's lower his shoulders and still be taller the pile. Players would just stand him up and shove him backwards. I can't see how he would even get past the offensive line.