PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Jolly Suspended for all of 2010

cobber66
07-16-2010, 09:12 PM
So Roger Gooddell has cracked the whip again, this time on Packers DT Johnny Jolly. He gets suspended for the entire 2010 season and perhaps beyond for possession of codeine (used to make "Purple Drink", the same stuff JaMarcus Russell was caught with). Three questions for everyone on this board:

1) (Packer fans especially) How does this affect Green Bay's prospects on defense for the upcoming season? It does appear they knew a suspension would be a possibility.

2) What do you think of the length of the suspension? Too much, or deserved?

3) What does this do for what slim hope Jamarcus Russell had of getting an NFL job?

imiweli
07-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Not too worried about the Packers defense, as long as B.J. Raji steps up

Suspension was worthy I think, facing 20 years in prison 1 year off should be the last thing on his mind

No team will ever sign Russell, he should go to UFL to develop

Polishguy00
07-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Pack defense will be fine (I hate admitting this). The suspension is congruent with the seriousness of the charges. Russell is a future UFL QB.

KevinG
07-16-2010, 10:36 PM
So Roger Gooddell has cracked the whip again, this time on Packers DT Johnny Jolly. He gets suspended for the entire 2010 season and perhaps beyond for possession of codeine (used to make "Purple Drink", the same stuff JaMarcus Russell was caught with). Three questions for everyone on this board:

1) (Packer fans especially) How does this affect Green Bay's prospects on defense for the upcoming season? It does appear they knew a suspension would be a possibility.

2) What do you think of the length of the suspension? Too much, or deserved?

3) What does this do for what slim hope Jamarcus Russell had of getting an NFL job?

I follow as much Packers news as I can find and I believe this is no big surprise to them.

1. I think we'll be fine. From what I've read Pickett is moving to end, Raji to the nose, and Jenkins will be the end. We drafted Neal and Wilson this year and have 4 or 5 other DL from last year, one of which is Harrell who was a first round pick but hasn't been healthy in what...3 years?? So anything we get from him will be a bonus.

2. Seems excessive unless there is something that occurred that hasn't been made public. As far as I know he has never been previously suspended for anything so I was expecting 4 games, with more if he gets convicted but the trial doesn't start for another two weeks, July 30th I think.

3. If he had a slim chance before, he's got next to no chance now. Someone will really have to be desperate for a QB to sign him this year.

KevinG
07-16-2010, 10:38 PM
There I go saying 'WE' again when talking about the Pack, but I do think THEY'LL be fine :)

Tinindian
07-16-2010, 11:05 PM
There I go saying 'WE' again when talking about the Pack, but I do think THEY'LL be fine :)

Funny how that happens, right? If you think about it that is probably the most important/valuable thing the NFL has; how much we, as fans, identify with a given team.

FessJL0861
07-16-2010, 11:32 PM
I hope Mike Neal can step up and make magic happen. In the Green Bay team thread we were bouncing this around earlier, and someone brought up a great point that he already played himself out of a starters role. He would have been a key rotation guy, but stuff happens. I wasn't surprised that he got poked for a year, because really with the way Goodell has been doing his thing at the league office, he doesn't surprise me anymore.

Finally, I think this really doesn't affect Jamarcus at all.

SpartaChris
07-18-2010, 12:08 PM
We drafted CJ Wilson and Mike Neal to replace Jolly. Raji will go to nose, Pickett will play opposite Jenkins at end with Neal, Wilson, Giocamini (sp?) and someone else I can't think of at the moment providing DE depth. Pickett can also play nose, should he be needed. All in all I think we were expecting this and planning for it and I don't think it changes much.