PDA

View Full Version : Last Decade's Most Memorable Moment

DannyMilk
07-17-2010, 04:39 AM
What was the most memorable moment in the NFL. I have a separate thread about your favorite teams' moment, so you can put that in that thread if you'd like, but this is moreso for overall NFL moment. I'm not sure why, but I think mine is from SB XXXVI (Pats-Rams) where Brady won MVP. When I watched that moment, with his hands on his head, hat backwards...that just stuck with me. I've always been a Bears fan, but I became a Pats fan around '96 for some unknown reason. To me though, that moment was about Brady moreso than the Patriots. I loved how genuine the moment was. The disbelief as he looked at his sisters and just shook his head. The guy who was a backup, and kinda thrown in without much confidence behind him, just had become a Super Bowl winner AND MVP, and unknowingly, started a ridiculous run of success for New England. That's why it's my most memorable moment, how about yours?

TheLinc
07-17-2010, 04:47 AM
Has to be the Tyree catch. All the hype leading up to that game and all the history made it absolute pandemonium.

I'd say runner-up goes to the Vick run against Minnesota, for no other reason than to remember how good he was. He's jogging around that field and he's untouchable. Sad to see how far a guy can fall if he sets himself up right.

DannyMilk
07-17-2010, 05:05 AM
Has to be the Tyree catch. All the hype leading up to that game and all the history made it absolute pandemonium.

I'd say runner-up goes to the Vick run against Minnesota, for no other reason than to remember how good he was. He's jogging around that field and he's untouchable. Sad to see how far a guy can fall if he sets himself up right.

I think Tyree is numero dos for me.

If my memory serves me correctly...didn't Vick run into the tunnel ala Bo Jackson?

TheLinc
07-17-2010, 07:02 AM
I think Tyree is numero dos for me.

If my memory serves me correctly...didn't Vick run into the tunnel ala Bo Jackson?

Don't think so, thought I remembered a celebration in the end zone but I could be wrong. Smith eclipsing Payton's record was a nice moment too. Sweetness doesn't get talked about enough.

Kosar19
07-17-2010, 09:15 AM
I think you're spot on about that Brady mmoment. It's funny, I can't stand that guy or the Pats now, but when I was reading your post I was picturing it in my head and remembering how I felt when I saw it and I got chills. I didn't have a rooting interest in that game, but it felt great for Brady.

The first play that popped into my head was the Eagles/Packers Playoff game when the Eagles converted the 4th and Forever (around 25 yards if I remember correctly) and the went on to beat the Pack in OT. I don't know why that sticks with me, but it does.

KabaModernFan
07-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Lots of great moments come to my mind, here are some I would put in if I were making a montage of the decade's best moments

The Tyree Catch (Obviously)
James Harrison's 100 Yard Dash in the Super Bowl (*Lights myself on fire for remembering this*)
Adam Vinatieri's Snow Kick (Against the Raiders in the "Tuck Rule Game")
The aforementioned Michael Vick TD Run (A wave of mutilation upon the Vikings)
Matt Bryant's Field Goal (The winning kick, the day after the death of his son)
4th and 26 (Sorry Packers fans)
T.O. Celebrates on the Star (With the 49ers against the Cowboys)
Brady To Moss (Breaks both single season records for Passing TDs and Receiving TDs)
The entire Falcons vs. Saints Game from 2006 (First game in New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina, reminded to me by another user here)

There's probably plenty of other memorable moments that I'm forgetting, but that's my list of moments I'd have to include.

DannyMilk
07-18-2010, 01:32 AM
good rule on the entire Tuck Rule game...the tuck play would probably be on my reel

msclemons
07-18-2010, 01:55 AM
The first weekend back after 9/11 was pretty intense as I recall.

KabaModernFan
07-18-2010, 02:00 AM

Yeah that's another good one, especially Joe Andruzzi of the Patriots coming out with the flag. You could feel his emotion when he stormed out of the tunnel.

DannyMilk
07-18-2010, 02:01 AM

I disqualify it....bigger than football! Cheater! I agree though, that was pretty awesome with Andruzzi...I also did like that the Pats won it...kinda fitting.

Colts01
07-18-2010, 02:23 AM
Dungy winning the super bowl

Docta
07-18-2010, 03:47 AM
Dungy and the Colts ruining the chances of me having a memorable moment for the Bears last decade.

giantsfan97
07-18-2010, 09:19 AM
This reminds me of another good one, as much as I dislike him now, Brett Favre's performance after his father's death. Highlights of that one still make me a little misty.

InNOutBurgler
07-18-2010, 09:27 AM

Yeah I'd have to go with this...that day changed everything and that first sports weekend was cathartic

SpartaChris
07-18-2010, 02:27 PM
I've always been a Bears fan, but I became a Pats fan around '96 for some unknown reason.

Probably because they played the Packers in the Super Bowl that year?

SpartaChris
07-18-2010, 02:39 PM
Favres game after the death of his father. The guy was possessed.

Another one was when Koi Detmer was playing with the Eagles and the Eagles were playing the Packers. Koi throws a TD pass and then mockingly points at Favre. The very next drive, Favre throws a TD pass, points at Koi and then at his crotch, telling him to "suck it." Not the classiest moment, but a memorable one.

The week coming back from 9/11 was quite memorable. Most notable for me was the half time show with U2, and the banners scrolling the names of all the victims. I still get a little weepy thinking about it, and the tragedy our nation faced that day.

I could keep going, but those are a couple folks haven't mentioned yet.

DannyMilk
07-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Probably because they played the Packers in the Super Bowl that year?

haha no actually...well, in a roundabout way kind of. Maybe it was 97 or 98 because I had a computer Madden demo, and it was the Packers vs the Pats the year after obviously...and of course I didn't play as the Packers haha...so maybe that is how it started that's funny...I have a terrible memory, and now that you mention it that kinda jarred it a little.

Bengals1181
07-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Tyree catch

ncoolong
07-19-2010, 01:33 PM
Lots of great moments come to my mind, here are some I would put in if I were making a montage of the decade's best moments

The Tyree Catch (Obviously)
James Harrison's 100 Yard Dash in the Super Bowl (*Lights myself on fire for remembering this*)
Adam Vinatieri's Snow Kick (Against the Raiders in the "Tuck Rule Game")
The aforementioned Michael Vick TD Run (A wave of mutilation upon the Vikings)
T.O. Celebrates on the Star (With the 49ers against the Cowboys)
Brady To Moss (Breaks both single season records for Passing TDs and Receiving TDs)
The entire Falcons vs. Saints Game from 2006 (First game in New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina, reminded to me by another user here)

There's probably plenty of other memorable moments that I'm forgetting, but that's my list of moments I'd have to include.

GREAT list...sadly I forgot about Matt Stover's kick, definitely a tear-jerker.

sabre
07-19-2010, 01:37 PM
LaDanian's 2006 season.

GBPKS
07-19-2010, 01:50 PM
It definitely has to be the Tyree catch. An ultimate "what just happened" moment in sports...

GoBigOrGoHome
07-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Brady after that first Super Bowl. As a Michigan fan, I thought about all the griping & moaning we all did about how Drew Henson should have been given the keys to the car and, retrospectively, how much class Brady showed that year.

Tinindian
07-19-2010, 02:07 PM
I gotta go with the flow on this Tyree's catch. Heck the whole play, Manning looked like Houdini during that one.

MattBer2c
07-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Definitely Roethlisberger to Holmes to take win the game in SB 43. Amazing.

Plus, there was this:
http://i44.tinypic.com/30xitxe.gif

hassan812
07-19-2010, 03:56 PM
I'd have to go w/ the drive by Brady and the Pats in SB XXXVI. Yes, it is a homer pick but that was truly the beginning of something great. Most people thought they should play it safe, but Belichick and company had the balls to go for the win and of course it paid off. The New England area was dying for another championship and the Pats delivered it when everyone counted them out. Little did we know, that drive was the beginning of something truly special.

giantsfan97
07-19-2010, 04:38 PM
LaDanian's 2006 season.

That's quite the long moment!

OverTheTop
07-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Definitely Roethlisberger to Holmes to take win the game in SB 43. Amazing.

Perfect throw, perfect catch, perfect situation, perfect ending.

OverTheTop
07-19-2010, 04:44 PM
If this thread was titled funniest moment, for me it would have to be Bud Adams enjoying himself by giving the middle finger to Bills fans. It wasn't classy at all and the guy got fined 250k, but seeing an elderly big shot in a suit at a ball game giving friendly gestures to random people just cracks me up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTxHuUGG_2c

Chilly
07-19-2010, 05:12 PM
My Top 10 [coming from a Pats fan]

1. Tony Dungy/Lovie Smith Super Bowl--Not just because it was two black coaches in the Super Bowl, but because both represented their profession with ultimate class. As a Pats fan, I will forever despise Manning and the Colts. But Tony Dungy remains the pinnacle of what a coach can be for his players, a la John Wooden. Seeing him win was undoubtedly a sweet moment.

2. Final Three Minutes-Cards/Steelers Super Bowl--First the amazing comeback via Fitzgerald, and then the Rapist-to-Druggee game winner that Goodell will never look back on as fondly as we did when it happened. Also the James Harrison return in this game, which was incredible. Great Super Bowl.

3. Tuck Rule Game--Though at the moment I didn't know what it meant, it turns out that it was a pivotal point in the decade's greatest dynasty. Also in this playoff run: the Bledsoe reappearance-Patriots introduced as a team before Super Bowl-Brady postgame face. Special place in my heart, obviously.

4. Rex Grossman starting at QB in the Super Bowl--Making sure that the banner of absolute mediocrity still waves proudly.

5. Tyree Catch Game--Ugh. He has yet to make another reception since then. Used up a lifetime of karma for that one absurd bailout catch.

6. Saints Super Bowl win--Recent, I know. But have to give some love to Brees & Company.

7. Bill Belichick's inspiring post-game comments--Can't pick just one.

8. Favre's retirement press conferences--and the offseason debacles that continue to follow them.

9. Seahawks/Steelers Super Bowl--A fitting end to the worst NFL season in the decade, both teams trying with all their might to lose the game. One had to win, I guess.

10. Janet Jackson, anyone?

mattpett
07-19-2010, 05:56 PM
The Tyree catch was great in so many ways. Eli had to scramble around the pocket eluding defenders and then Tyree jumps and makes one of the greatest catches I have ever seen. Also the fact that it was an underdog Giants team beating the Pats who were going for the undefeated season made it all the better.

FessJL0861
07-19-2010, 06:18 PM
If this thread was titled funniest moment, for me it would have to be Bud Adams enjoying himself by giving the middle finger to Bills fans. It wasn't classy at all and the guy got fined 250k, but seeing an elderly big shot in a suit at a ball game giving friendly gestures to random people just cracks me up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTxHuUGG_2c

I remember serial watching that clip during that week. Yeah not classy, but if you are a Titans fan, you gotta be happy your owner is alive. Unlike:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_acoq2OMQGNA/SdGEMCijJ2I/AAAAAAAAAD8/OtnSdmICc5Y/s320/Al+Davis+Crypt+Keeper.jpg

Whatever that is, it isn't living.

FessJL0861
07-19-2010, 06:22 PM
Janet Jackson, anyone?[/I]

My instinct says a million times yes, but watching my sports with a 7 second delay (therefore canceling out any remotely funny non-serious blunders) has it's drawbacks.

Bengals1181
07-20-2010, 12:19 PM
My Top 10 [coming from a Pats fan]

5. Tyree Catch Game--Ugh. He has yet to make another reception since then. Used up a lifetime of karma for that one absurd bailout catch.

I think that's what makes it the best. It wasn't Jerry Rice or Marvin Harrison. It was some below average WR who made the play of the game (and in this case decade).

badgers7
07-20-2010, 12:45 PM

Sorry is not enough. I still cringe every time somebody brings it up. I think the fact that the Eagles didn't not win the Super Bowl that year makes this moment slightly less memorable. If I had to pick my most memorable moment, it would have to be the Packers vs. Raiders game the day after Favre's dad passed away. Watching that game was a surreal experience that I don't think can be replicated. It was completely different than watching any big game the Packers have played in.

If I am going to be unbiased about this and look at it in terms of the NFL as a whole, I would have to pick the Tyree catch. I still remember everybody's reaction in the room and it is one of, if not the most, unbelievable plays I can remember if you factor in the timing, the fact that it was a Super Bowl, and just the shear ridiculousness of the play itself.

DM138385
07-20-2010, 09:00 PM
The tuck rule game, it had everything,playoffs, bad weather, controversy, great ending and oh yea it was a FUMBLE !

TheLinc
07-20-2010, 09:30 PM
The tuck rule game, it had everything,playoffs, bad weather, controversy, great ending and oh yea it was a FUMBLE !

I don't know if it was the most memorable moment, but definitely set the tone for the rest of the decade and the quarterback favoritism that became so rampant.

Not sure how memorable it is, but one of my favorite plays of all-time was Moss's lateral after getting wrapped up at the 10-15 yard line when he was with the Vikings. Can't remember the receiver he flipped it too, but such a great play, the kind of thing you grow up thinking about doing at a skill position.

Cris Collinsworth
07-20-2010, 09:40 PM
Tom Brady's final drive against the Rams started a dynasty. If Brady throws a pick and the Rams kick a field goal to win it, how different is the Patriot, Brady, and Belichick image. The momentum had completely swung to the Rams, Brady the youngster was replacing a veteran Drew Bledsoe, it would have been second guessed forever.

Colts01
07-20-2010, 09:57 PM

Raiders have never recovered

TheLinc
07-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Raiders have never recovered

Ehhh they got off the canvas a little woozy before the Buccaneers Spinks'd them. Was bound to happen sooner rather than later, that team was a house of cards.

GiantsFaninToronto
07-21-2010, 12:19 AM
From an Eagles fan! Who knew? ;)

TheLinc
07-21-2010, 12:47 AM
From an Eagles fan! Who knew? ;)

Didn't say I liked it. I had to wipe tears and vomit off my desk after typing that. :cool: