PDA

View Full Version : What type of 4-3 defense was Jim Johnson's Eagles defenses?

ebfz58
04-27-2011, 02:17 AM
Hi Turk,

What type of 4-3 defense was Jim Johnson's Eagles defenses? Was it a 1-gap, 2-gap, or a combo of both?

I've also heard his defense was the 4-3 equivalent of LeBeau's zone blitz defense. Is that true?

I heard he used strictly personnel groupings that featured 4 down linemen only. Is that true?

Any input from Eagles fans, or the pros is welcome.

Thanks,
ebfz58
:)

jwill5587
04-27-2011, 06:15 AM
Good post. I'd like to know more about this myself. Steve Spagnoulo used the same scheme in NY. I'd also like Turk or someone to breakdown Spags' defensive strategy in Super Bowl 42. I still can't believe the Giants won that game.

ebfz58
04-27-2011, 03:26 PM
Good post. I'd like to know more about this myself. Steve Spagnoulo used the same scheme in NY. I'd also like Turk or someone to breakdown Spags' defensive strategy in Super Bowl 42. I still can't believe the Giants won that game.

Thanks jwill5587.

ebfz58
04-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Do you have any input on this one for me Turk?

Turk Schonert
04-27-2011, 09:49 PM
Went against Jimmy Johnson's defense a few times. I don't recall if they used 1 and 2 gap schemes, but I do know that like LeBeau, he used a lot of line movement. Jimmy ran many of the blitz schemes that LeBeau runs, but he also had some pressures that were unique and had to be accounted for. A couple of blitzes that he had that other teams didn't run very much were 1) Double Corner blitz 2) Mike, Sam, Strong Safety blitz. His defenses put a lot of pressure on opposing teams protections.

ebfz58
04-28-2011, 01:02 AM
Went against Jimmy Johnson's defense a few times. I don't recall if they used 1 and 2 gap schemes, but I do know that like LeBeau, he used a lot of line movement. Jimmy ran many of the blitz schemes that LeBeau runs, but he also had some pressures that were unique and had to be accounted for. A couple of blitzes that he had that other teams didn't run very much were 1) Double Corner blitz 2) Mike, Sam, Strong Safety blitz. His defenses put a lot of pressure on opposing teams protections.

Thank you very much.