PDA

View Full Version : Any home video system experts here?

darvon
04-27-2011, 09:08 PM
I need to talk about redesigning my home video system with someone...anyone....Buehler?

Andy Freeland
04-27-2011, 09:23 PM
I am far from an expert, but I do love to tinker and do research. My system is a cross between a home theater and a science project. I'm currently looking into running the entire thing through a mythtv box (sort of a tivo for linux). I also tend to be more of a discount shopper, rarely if ever going for the high end. What is it you're looking to do?

darvon
04-27-2011, 09:59 PM
I also am looking at MythTV, but in the future, possibly WMC/HomeRunPrime/Remote Potatoe. Bt enough names, Since I am a Marketing Guy let me state my requirements.

Cableco is causing me to upgrade my equip. I have decided to redesign. Here is what I have and what I want to do want. Fidelity (HDTV, THX, Blu-ray) isn't a priority for me. Access in any room is. Archiving zillions of shows is. Wireless is.

In Room A:

Internet Router with Wireless
Cable access from Cable Co basic cable (digital)
Big TV DLT : HDMI input

HOMEBASE for Media Center

In Room B
Large TV - Older - S-video/NTSC input
Ethernet connection
No computer/subject to change

Throughout house:
Wireless.

I want the ability to:

Record from cable
Play from recordings
Play from Realtime tuner
Play from dvd

On any wired or wireless Windows Computer in house. Plust the 1 HDMI TV and the 1 NTSC TV.

darvon
04-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Or in prose, I want to take a Basic Digital Cable in and put it to a Tivo-esque device and replay live/tivo/amazonVOD anywhere I have a screen, TV or Computer. I have one real good HDTV, one old non-HDMI HDTV, one old 32" tv and 4 desktop PCs in various rooms and 3 laptops and 1 netbook and 1 ipad. so in all 12 screens. Other than maybe the Ipad, I want to watch Real-time or archived or VOD on any one, and on 3 at once.

It's much more "Networked TV" than Home Theatre. And the channels I tend to watch are a little OTA, but mostly Basic Cable, like Discovery. WOWCable is going digital for Basic in May/June which is giving me fits. I have 2 Tivos now and watch TV only on the 2 tvs downstairs. VOD is anywhere thru Amazon.

bluestree
04-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Holy crap, d von, you've got more screens than Imax. I can't help you at all, but if you can get that working, how about next turning your attention to getting a few more years out to the Hubble?

darvon
04-27-2011, 10:36 PM
One word: Kids.

I bet Cris' house had about 100 screens, until his kids started to move out and strip the house of electronics.

bluestree
04-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Oh yeah, forgot that little rugrats have morphed into digimals.

Andy Freeland
04-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Very interesting puzzle.

My first thought. You can do a mythtv backend in room A and a mythtv front end in room B. Of course this won't get live tv to your windows boxes (mythtv has a windows frontend, but you have to compile it yourself and it's more trouble than it's worth). For that you could add a Hava Vulkano in room A. Then from the PCs and iPad you could watch live TV through Hava and recorded shows (recorded in divx on the mythtv backend) through a samba share or dlna server on mythtv (no samba shares for the ipad, not sure about dlna client). I'm sure I'm leaving something out, it's just a first pass.

With a dual tuner card in the mythtv box and an hdhomerun, you could record 4 shows at once (2 cable, 2 ota).
A little quick math: On a 3tb (~$150) drive, you could record 1000+ hours, ie everything from all 4 major networks, 24 hours a day for more than 10 days (of course no one would do that, but you get the picture).

GoBigOrGoHome
04-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Two words, D:

DirecTV.

Sling Box.

Former WOW! and Comcast customer in the Detroit Area, here. They can both suck it.

Andy Freeland
04-27-2011, 10:51 PM
On second thought, you probably don't need the Hava Vulkano. Just get 2 hd homeruns, 1 for cable, 1 for ota. You can watch live TV on the PCs through those. The Vulkano wouldn't work anyway, it doesn't have a tuner.

bluestree
04-27-2011, 10:56 PM
DTV has been running that room to room commercial for quite a while, Biggie. So it works, huh? We've got their DVR and have had some issues.

GoBigOrGoHome
04-27-2011, 11:00 PM
DTV has been running that room to room commercial for quite a while, Biggie. So it works, huh? We've got their DVR and have had some issues.

You have to pound on their door until they agree to upgrade your box. I can get 100+ hours of HD programming on mine. But it took some serious *****ing and griping to get them to send me a new one. What finally worked was when I told them my box was dead. We tried a reformat, which worked fine. But I lied to them and told them it failed. They sent me their latest & greatest. It works like a charm.

And you only really need the one master box. The rest will fall into line (I have three others). It's all that & a bag of chips.

Andy Freeland
04-27-2011, 11:03 PM
You have to pound on their door until they agree to upgrade your box. I can get 100+ hours of HD programming on mine. But it took some serious *****ing and griping to get them to send me a new one. What finally worked was when I told them my box was dead. We tried a reformat, which worked fine. But I lied to them and told them it failed. They sent me their latest & greatest. It works like a charm.

You obviously have the HR24. I have HR23s, they're garbage.

GoBigOrGoHome
04-27-2011, 11:10 PM
You obviously have the HR24. I have HR23s, they're garbage.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil, man. You have to be a persistent pain in their ass and exercise a little calculated dishonesty. They'll cave just to shut you up.