2008:: 8 wins; 1-1 in playoffs
2009: 13 wins; 0-1 in playoffs

Marty's

2002:: 8 wins; missed playoffs
2003:: 4 wins; missed playoffs
2004: 12 wins; 0-1 in playoffs
2005:: 9 wins; missed playoffs
2006: 14 wins; 0-1 in playoffs

As much as I cringed when the Chargers hired Norv Turner, I have grown to appreciate what he has done in San Diego. He brought us playoff wins which Marty did not do and he has managed to make the playoffs each season with the team. I'm still not sure Norv is the coach who can bring a Super Bowl to San Diego, and I may be in the minority, but I think he's done a pretty good job taking over a talented team and keeping them on the right track. What do you guys think?

Andy Freeland
07-18-2010, 10:53 PM
I know some Chargers' fans aren't thrilled with Turner, but 32-16 in the regular season, 3-3 in the playoffs and they want to fire the guy for not winning the Super Bowl in 3 years? I don't get it.

BuckeyeRidley
07-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks ResDawg!! (Spelled Dawg on purpose!)

I appreciate the breakdown because that is a very valid point; Turner has been an enemy for his lack of wins & I was too one of those who was not a fan of his. I respect Norv but thought that he was not the guy who could bring home the Super Bacon like Marty could have. But Norv did bring in more playoff wins including against the Colts!!

Norv is like Wade Philips where he doesn't impress people with the records or history in the playoffs but this time around have done things that their storied predecessors didn't---Win in the playoffs! Marty didn't get to or win in the playoffs but Norv did for SD. Parcells didn't win or make the playoffs in Big D but Wade did last year!

bluestree
07-19-2010, 12:10 AM
Norv just seems a little too easy going, like Wade, to bring home the Lombardi. Adjusting his record for the weak division, I'm not that impressed. Maybe if he gets some very vocal veteran leadership from somewhere, like a Ray Lewis type of guy, that would maybe give them that intangible they lack. (Toughness? Mental toughness?) I don't get that feeling from Rivers and certainly not from Merriman. Who's the leader of their defense? that's whose got to fill the void.

DannyMilk
07-19-2010, 01:13 AM
Nobody's ever questioned the Xs and Os...just seems like he underachieves, even with that record. I think if we brought the Charger Offense here to Chicago, and brought Norm along and Rivera back, it would be a tough team to beat! haha

sabre
07-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Norv just seems a little too easy going, like Wade, to bring home the Lombardi. Adjusting his record for the weak division, I'm not that impressed. Maybe if he gets some very vocal veteran leadership from somewhere, like a Ray Lewis type of guy, that would maybe give them that intangible they lack. (Toughness? Mental toughness?) I don't get that feeling from Rivers and certainly not from Merriman. Who's the leader of their defense? that's whose got to fill the void.

This is probably the most uninformed assessment. How do you adjust one coach's record and not the other? This is a head to head comparison and you have to look at the playoff wins. Also factor that they play a 1st place schedule nearly every year and that should balance the weak division portion. You dont get the feeling Rivers has mental toughness? That sounds like you either dont watch them or just dont like him. Did you see the Giant game last year? Int in the last minutes of the game in his own end only to come back with the game winning drive to finish it.

sabre
07-19-2010, 09:35 AM
I know some Chargers' fans aren't thrilled with Turner, but 32-16 in the regular season, 3-3 in the playoffs and they want to fire the guy for not winning the Super Bowl in 3 years? I don't get it.

I think most of the noise from fans was what appeared to be a total lack of discipline and focus against the Jets. Everything seemed to be coming together last year and to see them fall so flat was painful.

Resdog154
07-19-2010, 10:01 AM
The lack of a run game killed them more than anything else against the Jets. The fact is that 2 rushing first downs is never going to win a playoff game. I will blame Norv for continuing to give the ball to LDT, but I'm not sure what his options were. Rivers had his second most throwing attempts all season which shouldn't have been necessary in a tight game. You can't throw on every play, but it was obvious they couldn't move the ball on the ground. Of course if Keading manages to convert on 30 and 36 yard field goals, the game may have had a different complexion.

sabre
07-19-2010, 10:11 AM
The lack of a run game killed them more than anything else against the Jets. The fact is that 2 rushing first downs is never going to win a playoff game. I will blame Norv for continuing to give the ball to LDT, but I'm not sure what his options were. Rivers had his second most throwing attempts all season which shouldn't have been necessary in a tight game. You can't throw on every play, but it was obvious they couldn't move the ball on the ground. Of course if Keading manages to convert on 30 and 36 yard field goals, the game may have had a different complexion.
And wasnt that painful? His miss in OT against the Jets his rookie year hurt but was somewhat forgivable being a rookie. Now he is the most accurate kicker in the NFl and falls apart at home.

Resdog154
07-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Very painful. Had a chance to redeem himself against the same team and came up short again.

sabre
07-19-2010, 12:16 PM
and again...and again (from 50)...

I find laughing at it sometimes makes it easier to deal with. :)

Wordsworth
07-19-2010, 07:19 PM

I agree wholeheartedly, Andy. I don't understand certain teams' entitlement issues. Marty Schottenheimer, maligned as he may be for his lack of playoff success, is the third winningest coach all time. The Chargers threw him out after he went 14-2. 14-2! Same with the Eagles thinking McNabb sucks after years of exciting games and solid playoff runs. The leash for success has grown so short over the years that I don't think some guys get a fair shake.

Colts01
07-19-2010, 07:26 PM
I think he has the same perception probem as say a wade phillips.Also Remember Dungy was fired by tampa because he was "stuck" in payoffs and not super-bowls

Chompurself
07-20-2010, 05:16 AM
I too have a critic of Norv Turner, I've always thought he was more of a O coordinator maybe I'm wrong if you look at these most Charger teams they have done it all bcus of the passing game, no running game and questionable defense, really what can you expect these Charger teams have looked alot better on paper than they really were but let' let off Norv a lil bit until the put a team on the field that can play some D

ElShay
07-20-2010, 06:28 AM
In spite of the premature playoff exits, I believe that Norv has helped the Chargers maintain their contender status. The Chargers have been amazing on offense since he took over. Norv has also been a large part of PR's development into one of the top QBs in the league. The team doesn't seem to lose close games in which they have the possession of the ball towards the end of the game. The only drop off since Norv has been head coach has been on defense (the run game has suffered due to injuries and declining production from the once phenomenal LdT).

People argue that with all the talent on the Chargers roster they should be perennial contenders, and I have to agree with this point. The Chargers are very talented and sometimes seem to lose their heads in pressure situations. Is it the job of the coach to take control of those moments and rein in the players or is this the job of the veteran leadership on the team? Norv sometimes reminds me of Coach Kline from 'the Waterboy' in his demeanor. He is a brilliant Xs and Os guy, but lacks that stereotypical Coach's Fire that we see from most coaches on Sundays. I think that with with some good health, Norv is a good enough coach that can lead the Chargers to win the Superbowl.

rpaustex
08-04-2010, 08:31 PM
I was physically ill when he missed those this time. Unbelievable, major choke from the most accurate kicker in the league. I wont trust him in the playoffs anymore. Let's hope SD has a running game and defense this year so we wont have to depend on him.

Resdog154
08-05-2010, 11:41 AM
I was physically ill when he missed those this time. Unbelievable, major choke from the most accurate kicker in the league. I wont trust him in the playoffs anymore. Let's hope SD has a running game and defense this year so we wont have to depend on him.

I was sitting in the rainy wet stadium Keading's rookie season when he missed the OT field goal. A couple seasons passed and I regained the confidence only to get gut punched again. Not sure if I'll ever have faith in Keading again. The Chargers will need touchdowns not field goal attempts!

Pruitt
08-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Keading makes those playoff kicks, we aren't having this discussion.

It really is amazing how much impact a missed kick can have. (Bills fan here - believe me, I know).

What amazes me is that they brought him back to the Chargers this year. Doesn't he hold some kind of record for consecutive playoff games with a miss?

There's loyalty, then there's stupidity.

Pattrick
08-05-2010, 02:33 PM
I loved Marty... He doesn't get enough respect. He knew how to build a team, maybe not win in the playoffs but thats not his fault, you know? I really hope to see him on the sidelines again but he probably never will be.

GoBigOrGoHome
08-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Watching from afar, Norv Turner just does not appear to be confident in his own abilities as a head coach and I think that lack of the 'it' factor hurts that team. They play in a division that frequently, in recent years, has served up at least four scrimmages a season. Each one of those games against the Chiefs & Raiders is as close to an extra bye week as an NFL team can get.

They get into the playoffs and meet some stiff competition and fold up like cheap tent. That is on the coach.

But, be careful what you wish for, Chargers fans. Running out a winning coach, no, TWO winning coaches might lead to some really bad karma.

sabre
08-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Watching from afar, Norv Turner just does not appear to be confident in his own abilities as a head coach and I think that lack of the 'it' factor hurts that team. They play in a division that frequently, in recent years, has served up at least four scrimmages a season. Each one of those games against the Chiefs & Raiders is as close to an extra bye week as an NFL team can get.

They get into the playoffs and meet some stiff competition and fold up like cheap tent. That is on the coach.

But, be careful what you wish for, Chargers fans. Running out a winning coach, no, TWO winning coaches might lead to some really bad karma.

You really are watching from afar. Your analysis seems to go only as far as last season. Norv got them to the AFC championship game in New England after winning 2 games. Only to lose to an undefeated team. They didnt have LT and had to settle for FG's which cost them. They also limped in at 8-8 and beat the favored Colts (again) only to lose on the road in Pitt. Last year was an aboration for a Norv led team in the playoffs. Watch the game again and see how they moved the ball at will on the Jets only to have Nate miss FG's which hurt the confidence of the team and really boosted the Jets.