PDA

View Full Version : Ambush Journalism?

bluestree
05-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Suzy Kolber is taking some heat for springing an email from his imprisoned father on Mark Ingram at the time he was coping with the emotions of being drafted in the first round. Was this crossing the line. You be the judge;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuZjQkDJfME&feature=player_embedded

brauneyz
05-02-2011, 06:06 PM
OK, can't listen to this 'talkie' right now, but my first response is YES. Mostly I think Kolber does alright, but this seems vultur-ish. :(

Pruitt
05-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Since her usual job is to stand on a sideline and spout inanities, this actually seems like she put some thought into what she was going to do on the day. Although most likely the production staff handed her the e-mail and told her what to do.

And they got what they wanted, some "raw emotion" that appeals to the sort of person who watches "Entertainment Tonight" for the tearful confessions of Lindsay Lohan and the homeless guy with the golden voice.

You know, if a real journalist or a former player brought up Ingram's dad in a sit down interview, than I'd say it was fair and part of the story of who Mark Ingram is. In the context of pulling a surprise on an emotional but exultant young man it is junk and drags a sporting event (for that's what the draft is) to the level of mawkish melodrama.

brauneyz
05-03-2011, 10:44 AM
I read a little background on this and while still confused, it seems like MI Jr. knew Suzy was going to read an email from Dad (perhaps not the exact wording). Still a little contrived, and not something I would have done.

GoBigOrGoHome
05-03-2011, 11:27 AM
This reminds me of why, as big a fan as I am of Olympic sports, I am happy they only come around every four years.

Pruitt
05-04-2011, 10:13 AM
This reminds me of why, as big a fan as I am of Olympic sports, I am happy they only come around every four years.

I think it's an NBC rule that the IOC has put in place that in order to be an Olympic Champion you have to overcome some horrible personal tragedy. That way, they can fill time with heart warming featurettes rather than actual competition.