PDA

View Full Version : I would see any movie with this actor in it.

brauneyz
05-09-2011, 02:36 PM
OK, boys and girls, let me present today's time-waster ...

List those actors who compel you to see their movies based on their names alone (no synopsis, no commercials, nothing.) I'll start.

Clint Eastwood
John Travolta
Dustin Hoffman
Ray Liotta
Kevin Kline
Jeff Bridges
Meryl Streep

*Note: This is vastly different in my mind than a 'best actor' category. For instance, I do not claim that Travolta is a great actor, only that he consistently turns out great flicks.

**Disclaimer: Yes, Meryl Streep is my 'Chick Lit' contribution. Deal with it! :p

ScottDCP
05-09-2011, 02:53 PM
There are only three who even have the ghost of a chance of qualifying.

Clint Eastwood. True.
Kevin Kline. I wish, but no.
Jeff Bridges. Even more so than Clint.

ScottDCP
05-09-2011, 02:54 PM
(I've seen the worst of Streep - The River Wild, Death Becomes Her, and Mama Mia, and I cannot forgive her for the first two, or for helping ruin the third.)

ScottDCP
05-09-2011, 02:57 PM
I will add, however:

Jean Reno, Oliver Platt, and Nathan Filion (Really.)

There are a few others who get strong consideration, but even Liam Neeson, Emma Thompson, and Zhang Ziyi don't make this list.

packa7x
05-09-2011, 03:06 PM
None. I barely know any actors or actresses. It would help persuade me if someone attractive is in it, but I'm much more about the story than anything. I'm strange with movies and I don't enjoy them unless I feel they are truly something special. I'd like to think that it's because I have an elaborate mind for movies and that I see right through the BS, but the more realistic explanation is that I'm just an idiot and don't know what I'm talking about with movies.

GoBigOrGoHome
05-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Johnny Depp

Trumpetbdw
05-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Clint Howard

GoBigOrGoHome
05-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Denzel Washington
Russell Crowe
Hillary Swank
Dwayne Johnson (picks his roles well - and my boy likes him;))
Kurt Russell (again)
Penelope Cruz (I'm as red blooded as any guy - PC tears the cover off the hot-meter)

GoBigOrGoHome
05-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Clint Howard

That ain't right.

KabaModernFan
05-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Jack Nicholson
Samuel L. Jackson
Ricky Gervais

GoBigOrGoHome
05-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Susan Sarandon

Polishguy00
05-09-2011, 04:37 PM
-Sean Connery
-Chuck Sheen (I mean how can you not go back and watch "Men at Work" at this point and laugh 15% more). Plus, "Major League" might be the best baseball movie ever.
-California's former governor. The one who was in "Predator."
-Anything with terrible actors so I can add things to the Unintentionally Funny Scenes List.
-Scarlett Johansson -Using GoBig's PC rule, though this may have to change to another actress/model since she is ruining the image I have her with this Sean Penn nonsense.

I'll think of more later, or maybe not. That really might be it for "have to see."

ScottDCP
05-09-2011, 04:44 PM
-Scarlett Johansson -Using GoBig's PC rule, though this may have to change to another actress/model since she is ruining the image I have her with this Sean Penn nonsense.

There is a school of thought, more populated than not, that says this is another step in an un-named actress's effort to become taken more seriously as an actress (seriously - somthiing to the effect that the professional respect and recognition will spill over onto her. Sad, since she still gets her pick of roles within and without her age range and just needs to pick better and more fortuitously in order to get over that particular hump - or wear a prosthetic face a la Theron, Kidman, and any other shockingly pretty actress who has succeeded in being taken seriously the last ten to fifteen years.) Penn marks the fourth Oscar-ish guy in the un-named actress's personal history. Misguided to be sure, but hey, there's a reason therapists in LA and NYC make more than they would elsewhere.

GoBigOrGoHome
05-09-2011, 05:06 PM
How did we get to post #12 in this thread without mentioning Sean Connery?

brauneyz
05-09-2011, 05:53 PM
-Sean Connery
-Chuck Sheen (I mean how can you not go back and watch "Men at Work" at this point and laugh 15% more). Plus, "Major League" might be the best baseball movie ever.

Not true. That distinction belongs to Bull Durham, which allows me to toss in the forgotten Tim Robbins.

Polishguy00
05-09-2011, 05:58 PM
There is a school of thought, more populated than not, that says this is another step in an un-named actress's effort to become taken more seriously as an actress (seriously - somthiing to the effect that the professional respect and recognition will spill over onto her. Sad, since she still gets her pick of roles within and without her age range and just needs to pick better and more fortuitously in order to get over that particular hump - or wear a prosthetic face a la Theron, Kidman, and any other shockingly pretty actress who has succeeded in being taken seriously the last ten to fifteen years.) Penn marks the fourth Oscar-ish guy in the un-named actress's personal history. Misguided to be sure, but hey, there's a reason therapists in LA and NYC make more than they would elsewhere.

I have heard this, too, and, no sir, I don't like it. Even if true. If you see her, tell her that I will always make her feel better about herself.

GoBigOrGoHome
05-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Not true. That distinction belongs to Bull Durham, which allows me to toss in the forgotten Tim Robbins.

I believe in the Church of Baseball. I've tried all the major religions, and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms, and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I heard that, I gave Jesus a chance. But it just didn't work out between us. The Lord laid too much guilt on me. I prefer metaphysics to theology. You see, there's no guilt in baseball, and it's never boring... which makes it like sex. There's never been a ballplayer slept with me who didn't have the best year of his career. Making love is like hitting a baseball: you just gotta relax and concentrate. Besides, I'd never sleep with a player hitting under .250... not unless he had a lot of RBIs and was a great glove man up the middle. You see, there's a certain amount of life wisdom I give these boys. I can expand their minds. Sometimes when I've got a ballplayer alone, I'll just read Emily Dickinson or Walt Whitman to him, and the guys are so sweet, they always stay and listen. 'Course, a guy'll listen to anything if he thinks it's foreplay. I make them feel confident, and they make me feel safe, and pretty. 'Course, what I give them lasts a lifetime; what they give me lasts 142 games. Sometimes it seems like a bad trade. But bad trades are part of baseball - now who can forget Frank Robinson for Milt Pappas, for God's sake? It's a long season and you gotta trust. I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.

Oh my sweet Annie...;)

Polishguy00
05-09-2011, 06:42 PM
I mean, yeah sure, "Bull Durham" is a fantastic movie, but Annie was a baseball groupie. I don't buy the one guy per year thing at all. Hell, I played the equivalent of JV college and all many of us had to say in the bar was that we played baseball. All I am saying is that I would have stayed away if I was 'Ol Crash in that one. She was more beat up than the first kid to ever wear a pocket protector. How that kid ever convinced a single other kid to do it is beyond me.

darvon
05-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Patrick Warburton

darvon
05-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Amy Adams. Not because she is the hottest actress around, but she always seems to have a compelling part in a good if not great movie.

ScottDCP
05-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Patrick Warburton

Just wait for Sophomore.

SpartaChris
05-10-2011, 12:11 AM
Robert Deniro
Al Pacino
Bruce Willis
Samuel L. Jackson
Ryan Reynolds. Dude brings Van Wilder to every character he plays and it kills me.

msclemons
05-10-2011, 02:14 AM
Sean Connery
Clint Eastwood
Tom Hanks
John Cleese because of this (http://www.bearinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=482278).
Cameron Diaz
Sarah Jessica Parker

Ok, I'm lying on that last one.

mkocs6
05-10-2011, 03:24 AM
I will vote for Daniel Day-Lewis. He makes it easy enough to do this by only making a picture once every five years or so.

Pruitt
05-10-2011, 10:42 AM
I will vote for Daniel Day-Lewis. He makes it easy enough to do this by only making a picture once every five years or so.

I was trying to come up with an actor who I'd watch regardless of the film he or she was in, an I drew blanks. I've seen the serious actors that I like - DeNiro being foremost among them - pad out their bank accounts by appearing in a string of crappy films. Not blaming them, but just saying there's no reason to suffer through a "Fokkers" movie because "Midnight Run" was so awesome. Jeff Bridges is similarly great, but he's also in a lot of crap.

I'm such a negative person, that my list of actors that I'll avoid at all costs is a long one. Although the guy who used to lead the pack - Tom Cruise - was in both "Tropic Thunder" and "Valkyre", so he's off the list which is now proudly led by Kate Hudson (yes, I am married).

However, Daniel Day Lewis is almost always a sign that the film is quality. If you haven't seen "There Will Be Blood", go and rent it. It is absolutely phenomenal.

Pruitt
05-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Patrick Warburton

Long live "The Tick"!

brauneyz
05-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Kudos to those that came up with Daniel Day-Lewis. Dude keeps such a low profile I momentarily overlooked him.

I put Tom Cruise on the vastly over-rated list too. The only flick I liked (admittedly I stopped watching years ago) was Born on 4th of July..

DeNiro & Pacino, once great, have been mailing it in for years.

Another guy who has more hits than misses is Robin Williams, especially in his dramatic roles.

GoBigOrGoHome
05-10-2011, 12:20 PM
Morgan Freeman

Ripperlicious
05-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Christian Bale. Most of his movies kick butt (aside from Terminator Salavation which I don't blame him for, just a poor script to start with). His role of Dickie in The Fighter was just phenomenal.

packa7x
05-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Jack Nicholson
Samuel L. Jackson
Ricky Gervais

You'd even see the new Star Wars trilogy because of SLJ? God how horribly miscasted he was. We need a wise, calm person to play Mace Windu. HOW ABOUT SAMUEL L JACKSON!? THE GUY WHO HAS MADE A LIVING OFF OF BEING LITERALLY INSANE IN MOST OF HIS MOVIES.

Polishguy00
05-10-2011, 05:16 PM
You'd even see the new Star Wars trilogy because of SLJ? God how horribly miscasted he was. We need a wise, calm person to play Mace Windu. HOW ABOUT SAMUEL L JACKSON!? THE GUY WHO HAS MADE A LIVING OFF OF BEING LITERALLY INSANE IN MOST OF HIS MOVIES.

Everyone knows that "Snakes On a Plane" got Sam Jackson that role. Lucas is a huge fan of that movie. SamJax is awesome because he reminds you of things like "Soul Glo" and "Hey, remember when Arsenio Hall was cool?" and he also reminds you of "Royale with Cheese."

KabaModernFan
05-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Everyone knows that "Snakes On a Plane" got Sam Jackson that role. Lucas is a huge fan of that movie. SamJax is awesome because he reminds you of things like "Soul Glo" and "Hey, remember when Arsenio Hall was cool?" and he also reminds you of "Royale with Cheese."

And Ezekiel 25:17.

Andy Freeland
05-10-2011, 05:22 PM

I'm pretty sure all the Star Wars movies were before Snakes on a Plane.

Raven
05-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Johnny Depp
Tom Hanks
Jack Nicholson
Clint Eastwood
Denzel Washington

Polishguy00
05-10-2011, 06:18 PM
I'm pretty sure all the Star Wars movies were before Snakes on a Plane.

Your use of facts is completely overrated. George Lucas has the ability to go back in time. He does it mostly to see Carrie Fisher in the gold bikini again and not the current version of Carrie Fisher.

EDIT: I mean, how else can you explain that he thought the use of the same 1977 cheese would work in 1999? And JarJar Binks? Obviously created by a guy who did too many schrooms. Ruined a nice little trilogy he did with that time machine.

Andy Freeland
05-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Your use of facts is completely overrated. George Lucas has the ability to go back in time. He does it mostly to see Carrie Fisher in the gold bikini again and not the current version of Carrie Fisher.

EDIT: I mean, how else can you explain that he thought the use of the same 1977 cheese would work in 1999? And JarJar Binks? Obviously created by a guy who did too many schrooms. Ruined a nice little trilogy he did with that time machine.

Obviously I wasn't thinking. I offer the most humble of apologies.

packa7x
05-10-2011, 06:30 PM
for anyone who hated the Star Wars prequels, watch this. It's a must. The guy does it for all 3 films. All at least like an hour long. It's gold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

packa7x
05-10-2011, 06:35 PM

Jar Jar Binks would have been the thing that ruined Star Wars: The Phantom Menace had it not been for the fact that there was a child as one of the man characters. Who saves the day by getting into a military jet (which conveniently has a child's size helmet and goggles). It's a cheap gimmick to sell toys.

ReaderM
05-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Christian Bale. Most of his movies kick butt (aside from Terminator Salavation which I don't blame him for, just a poor script to start with). His role of Dickie in The Fighter was just phenomenal.

Bale is definatly on my list..he is one of the most verstile actors in Hollywood right now, can literally play any role. Take a look at his IMDB profile (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000288/) for the last 10 years, just good film after good film

Also Brad Pitt cause he is one of the actors who can not only kill in a big budget flick but also the smaller niche films.Incredible resume and diversity and also because Fight Club*& 12 Monkeys are two of my favorite films

* I will debate for hours on how there is not a grand total of 5 movies more manly then Fight Club that have come out in the last half century if ever

SpartaChris
05-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Oh yeah, about Bale.. Guy is awesome. American Psycho is an all time favorite and his work as Batman is probably the best yet.

brauneyz
05-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Fight Club rocked, but I'm not sold on Pitt on name value alone.

GoBigOrGoHome
05-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Edward Norton

Pruitt
05-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Another guy who has more hits than misses is Robin Williams, especially in his dramatic roles.

This is the guy that tops my "turn the channel, NOW!" list. "The World According to Garp" was great, but that was well over 20 years ago. I wouldn't watch this guy install a free 52" tv in my basement, let alone chew the scenery in some bogus movie.

Oh God, don't get me started....

brauneyz
05-11-2011, 01:36 PM
This is the guy that tops my "turn the channel, NOW!" list. "The World According to Garp" was great, but that was well over 20 years ago. I wouldn't watch this guy install a free 52" tv in my basement, let alone chew the scenery in some bogus movie.

Oh God, don't get me started....

Excellent! I love controversy. :)

Did you not like Dead Poet's Society? And The Fisher King combined Williams and Jeff Bridges. Most awesome.

Pruitt
05-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Excellent! I love controversy. :)

Did you not like Dead Poet's Society? And The Fisher King combined Williams and Jeff Bridges. Most awesome.

The Fisher King was way too overblown for me - and partially wrecked by Robin Williams. You know, he was good in "Good Will Hunting", although that film's reliance on the F-Word to signal sincerity grew very tired.

Pruitt
05-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Fight Club rocked, but I'm not sold on Pitt on name value alone.

Not a big Brad Pitt fan - but man, was he great in "Inglorious Basterds".

Andy Freeland
05-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Am I the only one that thought Brad Pitt played the same character in Fight Club and 12 Monkeys? Two great movies, by the way. Which reminds me, It's about time to watch Fight Club again.

GoBigOrGoHome
05-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Am I the only one that thought Brad Pitt played the same character in Fight Club and 12 Monkeys? Two great movies, by the way. Which reminds me, It's about time to watch Fight Club again.

Funny. I always thought the same thing.

And never talk about Fight Club.

Andy Freeland
05-11-2011, 10:32 PM
And never talk about Fight Club.

It's not like there's a rule, or two.

kotar44
05-11-2011, 10:43 PM
First off, there really is not a good answer to the question, as every actor/actress puts out lemons during their career. That is really besides the point, though, as I can't get beyond the statement that John Travolta puts out good movies. A career spanning, what, 30+ years has accounted for less than 5 good movies, and that might be a stretch. Pure insanity...

Pruitt
05-12-2011, 10:30 AM
First off, there really is not a good answer to the question, as every actor/actress puts out lemons during their career. That is really besides the point, though, as I can't get beyond the statement that John Travolta puts out good movies. A career spanning, what, 30+ years has accounted for less than 5 good movies, and that might be a stretch. Pure insanity...

I listen to a funny podcast called "How Did The Get Made" where a bunch of comedians rip apart horrible movies. Travolta was in two of the first four - "Battlefield Earth" and "Old Dogs".

brauneyz
05-12-2011, 11:21 AM
OK, I get it. Travolta's not a fave. But I could seriously watch Pulp Fiction or Wild Hogs every day of the week.

General's Daughter, Broken Arrow and his dance movies are keepers too, so there. :p

Polishguy00
05-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Travolta is very hit and miss. I love Pump Fiction for many reasons and I love Broken Arrow just because it is so bad and over the top.

Military Guy: "No, no. Let's just send this live nuke on a training mission without a support team in case something goes wrong. I mean, we're the military, what could possibly go wrong?" Funny as hell.

That plot is right along the lines in Austin Powers making fun of James Bond flicks: "What? I'm going to leave him in there with one inept guard and assume everything went to plan. What!?"

Pruitt
05-12-2011, 11:19 PM
I forgot about "Broken Arrow" - insane.

Ripperlicious
05-13-2011, 12:24 PM
for anyone who hated the Star Wars prequels, watch this. It's a must. The guy does it for all 3 films. All at least like an hour long. It's gold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

Dude, this guy has a sick sense of humor, but that wit applied to dissecting The Phantom Menace is pure comedic genius. George Lucas did ruin the franchise. It's too bad. I'm hoping someone comes along and remakes the 3 new Star Wars films like Christopher Nolan remade the Batman series.

wxwax
05-14-2011, 05:02 AM
None.

And I'm a huge fan of movies.

No single actor can make a bad film palatable. Closest I could come would be Matt Damon and Natalie Portman, but I've skipped recent work by both of them.

So, none.

Now, ask me about directors. :)

brauneyz
05-14-2011, 11:09 AM
None.

And I'm a huge fan of movies.

No single actor can make a bad film palatable. Closest I could come would be Matt Damon and Natalie Portman, but I've skipped recent work by both of them.

wax, now you're getting to what I really was asking. Of course, otherwise good actors can land in a stinker and I wouldn't sit thru a bad one if I already suspected it, but the question is on name value alone, w/o any prior knowledge of the actual film.

So, did you suspect that Damon & Portman recently appeared in a bad one, or is something else going on? Doesn't sound like you're giving up on movies. And I couldn't discriminate between directors. Wouldn't recognize one if I felt over him/her. :p

Trumpetbdw
05-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Following Anchorman, Will Ferrell has earned that I will give all of his movies a chance. Most fail, but there are always mindlessly funny moments in all of them, so I haven't jumped ship completely as of yet.

Pruitt
05-15-2011, 10:43 AM
Following Anchorman, Will Ferrell has earned that I will give all of his movies a chance. Most fail, but there are always mindlessly funny moments in all of them, so I haven't jumped ship completely as of yet.

I felt that way until about 2/3rds of the way through "Semi-Pro". Watching that movie was like being stuck in an elevator with a drunk guy who's convinced that he's hilarious. It was grim, and has kept me away from his more recent movies.

But dang! "Talladega Nights" was hilarious.

SpartaChris
05-15-2011, 10:50 AM
I felt that way until about 2/3rds of the way through "Semi-Pro". Watching that movie was like being stuck in an elevator with a drunk guy who's convinced that he's hilarious. It was grim, and has kept me away from his more recent movies.

But dang! "Talladega Nights" was hilarious.

I just saw "The Other Guys" last night. Mostly it drug on and on, but had some hysterically funny moments.

GoBigOrGoHome
05-15-2011, 11:03 AM
I just saw "The Other Guys" last night. Mostly it drug on and on, but had some hysterically funny moments.

I can only take Will Ferrell in small doses like his bit parts in 'Wedding Crashers' and 'Starsky & Hutch'. His feature length films have been atrocious since 'Anchorman'.

KabaModernFan
05-15-2011, 11:15 AM
I can only take Will Ferrell in small doses like his bit parts in 'Wedding Crashers' and 'Starsky & Hutch'. His feature length films have been atrocious since 'Anchorman'.

I agree with this. The only Will Ferrell movies I've enjoyed have been Old School and Anchorman. Which is strange because I do enjoy him more in old SNL stuff, but I can't stand to watch his movies.

Andy Freeland
05-15-2011, 11:55 AM
Will Ferrell is at the very top of my 'change the channel now' list. I've never seen him do anything that I find even slightly funny. I can't stand that forum of awkward, funny because it isn't funny humor.

ScottDCP
05-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Will Ferrell is at the very top of my 'change the channel now' list. I've never seen him do anything that I find even slightly funny. I can't stand that forum of awkward, funny because it isn't funny humor.

What he said.

darvon
05-15-2011, 01:04 PM
I want to like his movies, but ultimately it is a rare one that I do anymore. He has become Chevy Chase.

wxwax
05-16-2011, 05:17 PM
So, did you suspect that Damon & Portman recently appeared in a bad one, or is something else going on?

Yeah, I suspected their new movies wouldn't be all that good. I'm careful about committing two hours and $10. I'll wait for the $1 Red Box rental or TV if I have my doubts.

I'm not often wrong when it comes figuring out if a film will appeal to my personal tastes. But the majority of new movies are bad, so it's not like I'm a genius. The good movies are rare and to be treasured.

wxwax
05-16-2011, 05:19 PM

He's now made two good movies that are not comedies. Stranger Than Fiction is just a great, thought-provoking movie. And the newly-released Everything Must Go is a slight but also good film.

wxwax
05-16-2011, 05:57 PM
If you guys wants funny, check out the faux celebrity interviews Zach Galifianakis does on the website Funny or Die. The series is called Between Two Ferns, (http://www.funnyordie.com/between_two_ferns) because that's all the set consists of -- 2 ferns.

The celebrities are real.Some of the "interviews" are only sort-of funny. Some are crack-a-rib hilarious, if you like slightly surreal satire. Steve Carell (http://FunnyOrDie.com/m/45y1).

brauneyz
06-12-2011, 06:06 PM
I will add, however:

Jean Reno, Oliver Platt, and Nathan Filion (Really.)

There are a few others who get strong consideration, but even Liam Neeson, Emma Thompson, and Zhang Ziyi don't make this list.

Just watched The Other Man (2008) with Neeson, Laura Linney and Antonio Banderas. Wacky, good but not great. Kind of Unfaithful meets Sixth Sense. Anyone who's seen it care to discuss it? Lots of folks confused by it, or maybe it's just me. :)

packa7x
06-17-2011, 10:49 PM

Ever since anchorman I've hated this guy. I met a cute girl at school and struck up a convo only to find out her favorite movie is "Step Brothers" and she watches it at least once a week. I don't care how cute a girl is, my threshold for Ferrell is about 30-45 seconds a year. It's like that cute girl who talks about her cats...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaGa3kjRS7o

Go to 4:00 (though the whole thing is great if you want to check it out)

GoBigOrGoHome
06-17-2011, 10:59 PM
I'm watching "Marathon Man". I have one question.

Is it safe?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG5Qk-jB0D4

brauneyz
06-17-2011, 11:20 PM
I'm watching "Marathon Man". I have one question.

Is it safe?

I have that recorded to watch again (it's been forever since the first time). I cannot tell you the horrors I experience going to the dentist. It's in my head, dammit!

Sadly, I'll probably have time to watch all these recorded flicks again this summer/fall if there is no football. :(

packa7x
06-17-2011, 11:33 PM
I have that recorded to watch again (it's been forever since the first time). I cannot tell you the horrors I experience going to the dentist. It's in my head, dammit!

Sadly, I'll probably have time to watch all these recorded flicks again this summer/fall if there is no football. :(

Cheer up, Brauneyz! There will be football! :D

packa7x
06-17-2011, 11:34 PM
I went on a Mel Gibson jag. Tuesday I saw Braveheart and Wednesday The Patriot...the guy is damn good.

SpartaChris
06-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Ever since anchorman I've hated this guy. I met a cute girl at school and struck up a convo only to find out her favorite movie is "Step Brothers" and she watches it at least once a week. I don't care how cute a girl is, my threshold for Ferrell is about 30-45 seconds a year. It's like that cute girl who talks about her cats...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaGa3kjRS7o

Go to 4:00 (though the whole thing is great if you want to check it out)

First, I enjoyed Step Brothers. Not enough to watch it every week, but enough to truly appreciate the greatness that is the Catalina Wine Mixer.

Second, that friggin flip chart presentation is absolutely hilarious.

packa7x
06-18-2011, 04:46 PM
First, I enjoyed Step Brothers. Not enough to watch it every week, but enough to truly appreciate the greatness that is the Catalina Wine Mixer.

Second, that friggin flip chart presentation is absolutely hilarious.

Haha I think I just got tired of EVERYBODY quoting awful Will Ferrell quotes so it kills ALL movies.

But yeah, that guys comedy routine is insanely funny. He had a TV show on comedy central for a while...he always has a ton of drawings and things like that I love it.

Patrick Sullivan
02-16-2014, 09:37 PM
Kevin Hart

darvon
02-16-2014, 11:15 PM
Tina Fey

darvon
02-16-2014, 11:17 PM

I'm telling Lorne...I'm telling Lorne...

wxwax
02-17-2014, 01:30 AM
Jennifer Lawrence. She can do comedy, drama and whatever's in between.

SpartaChris
02-17-2014, 01:35 AM
Christian Bale. LOVE "American Psycho," and thought he was amazing in "The Fighter." Also played the best Batman to date. He's definitely on the upper echelon of talent, in my eyes.

Patrick Sullivan
02-18-2014, 12:39 AM
Christian Bale. LOVE "American Psycho," and thought he was amazing in "The Fighter." Also played the best Batman to date. He's definitely on the upper echelon of talent, in my eyes.

Try the book sometime.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28676.American_Psycho

Bengals1181
02-18-2014, 08:16 AM
I'm very much in the minority here, but I'm a big Ryan Reynolds fan.

ScottDCP
02-18-2014, 10:03 AM
I'm very much in the minority here, but I'm a big Ryan Reynolds fan.

I think you might be one of three men in that particular boat.

Bengals1181
02-18-2014, 10:04 AM
I think you might be one of three men in that particular boat.

who are the other 2? :p

ScottDCP
02-18-2014, 10:31 AM
Ryan Reynolds and his dad.

Bengals1181
02-18-2014, 10:49 AM
lol.

tubbs1518
02-18-2014, 10:55 AM
I like Ryan Reynolds.

mkocs6
02-18-2014, 11:16 AM
Looked through this thread this morning and didn't see any mention of one my personal favorites, Jeremy Irons.

Trumpetbdw
02-18-2014, 12:42 PM
I like Ryan Reynolds.

Looks like you and Bengals finally have your "Breakfast at Tiffany's" moment.

http://youtu.be/1ClCpfeIELw

Patrick Sullivan
02-18-2014, 12:47 PM
Looked through this thread this morning and didn't see any mention of one my personal favorites, Jeremy Irons.

Excellent actor. I have not seen a mention of John Malkovich, either. He was a big deal for awhile and has kind of faded here of late. He has always been a favorite.

mkocs6
02-18-2014, 01:11 PM
Excellent actor. I have not seen a mention of John Malkovich, either. He was a big deal for awhile and has kind of faded here of late. He has always been a favorite.

Irons's voice is just fantastic. His singing voice not as much, but that still didn't prevent him from selling one of the great Disney villain songs of all-time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVAN2o-5pYM

Bengals1181
02-18-2014, 04:09 PM
Will Smith and Matt Damon would be 2 others on my list.

wxwax
02-18-2014, 04:50 PM
If Damon's in a movie I'll give serious consideration to seeing it.

ScottDCP
02-18-2014, 05:25 PM
Adrienne Barbeau.

brauneyz
02-18-2014, 06:07 PM
Thanks for bumping this old thread of mine. Sadly, after reviewing my OP, I cannot add a single new name to the list.

Although, I did just recently catch Hunger Games (way behind the power curve I am!), I did find Jennifer Lawrence kinda compelling. Can't really include her in this thread - just sorta spitballing.

Bengals1181
02-18-2014, 06:15 PM
Thanks for bumping this old thread of mine. Sadly, after reviewing my OP, I cannot add a single new name to the list.

Although, I did just recently catch Hunger Games (way behind the power curve I am!), I did find Jennifer Lawrence kinda compelling. Can't really include her in this thread - just sorta spitballing.

yea this is a tough one. There's plenty of actors and actresses I enjoy, but few I'd watch ANY of their stuff.

Jennifer Lawrence would probably be near the top for actresses for me.

wxwax
02-18-2014, 06:45 PM

Try to catch Winter's Bone, a superb movie. Then see American Hustle. What range. What chops.

Patrick Sullivan
02-18-2014, 08:12 PM
Try to catch Winter's Bone, a superb movie. Then see American Hustle. What range. What chops.

Winter's Bone is one of the best movies I have seen in the last decade or so. Jennifer Lawrence was tremendous.

wxwax
02-19-2014, 01:10 AM
Winter's Bone is one of the best movies I have seen in the last decade or so. Jennifer Lawrence was tremendous.
I'm so glad to hear that. I wasn't sure what to expect and I was blown away.

wxwax
02-19-2014, 10:37 PM

I just watched Hunger Games for the first time, tonight. I can understand why you're meh about Lawrence. Formula movie, mediocre writing, not a lot to work with. Give her a bone with some meat on it and she'll have a good chew. I'm tempted to spend the $4 on Amazon instant video to watch Winter's Bone again.

Patrick Sullivan
01-29-2017, 10:33 AM
This thread has been out here six years and no one has even mentioned Liam Neeson?

Weak sauce, FP (myself included, BTW).