PDA

View Full Version : Da Bears

BMW
07-21-2010, 11:55 AM
The Bears were this years Washington Redskins. The Bears did it more so because they didn't have any draft picks, but they went out and spent a lot of money in the free agent market. Bringing in Peppers was the big deal of free agency. My question is do you think there years top free agent will pay off? As a Lions fan I would hope not. I, also, don't like Martz teamed up with Cutler in the windy city; I just don't see it working out. What do you think?

Pruitt
07-21-2010, 01:55 PM
I find Martz to be perhaps the most overrated coach in recent NFL history. This is a guy who didn't use Faulk properly in a Super Bowl, and has had little or no effect at any of his subsequent stops.

However, the key in Chicago would appear to be Urlacher. If he and Peppers are on the field at the same time, then things will improve in Chicago.

But god help the Bears if they need to sit on a lead in the 4th quarter. With Martz and Cutler doing their thing, there could be trouble. Still, this could be a playoff team (especially if Favre doesn't come back).

Polishguy00
07-21-2010, 02:27 PM
The off-season was smoke and mirrors by a group trying to save their rears. While I must give an "A" for effort, the actual results on the field will remain questionable until they actually happen. The front seven may be great, but the personnel behind may not be able to cover how Lovie wants them and may have to come up with.....more ideas in pass coverage (Gasp!). The offensive line will have the same personnel as the final five games, but hopefully all guys will at least be playing in their natural positions. Happy the Bears did stuff? Yes. Think they have enough at receiver? Yes, if they develop. Did they address big needs? Eh, not really. Kind of like trading up from a Mercury Mountaineer to a Caddy Escalade. They are both SUVs and one is nicer, but if it breaks down, the Caddy is a more expensive burden and both will get you to where you are going and are quite roomy.

jmohr107
07-21-2010, 03:10 PM
I don't think that what the Bears did this off-season was enough to propel them over the Packers and Vikings, so in that regard I don't think it will pay off. But at the same time I do not think the signings were necessarily bad.

However, I don't think there is any doubt that the Bears are a better team than they were last year. Say what you want about whether they over-paid for Julius Peppers, but Peppers can be one of the most dominant Defensive Ends in the league when healthy and provides a major upgrade to that defensive line.

I really like Chester Taylor, and I think he can be productive playing in Martz's system. The Bears put all of their eggs in the Matt Forte basket last year, and although Forte is a soild back, he can't carry the load by himself. Brandon Manumaleuna is one of the better blocking tight ends in the league so that signing was not that bad.

Obviously, the Bears' success will hinge on Cutler. He needs those one of those four talented young receivers to step up and and become the go-to guy on the outside. We will also get to see how that O-Line holds up with Chris Williams at Left Tackle for the whole season. He should hold up better than Orlando Pace did during the first part of last season.

I think the Bears should be around 8-8 again this year.

MattBer2c
07-21-2010, 03:40 PM
If Urlacher is healthy enough to play well and if Cutler plays closer to the expectations, then they could threaten for the division. I don't think they'll win it, but they might still be 'in the hunt' around week 14 or so.

DaBearsFan
07-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Well, I admit that I'm both biased and drinking the Chicago Bears Kool-Aid, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

Mike Martz may be overrated but I feel like his system is a system that fits with the personnel the Bears have. A QB that can throw a good long ball and is willing to gamble a little bit. A number of young receivers with speed. A RB that can catch and run the ball (A Poor Man's Marshall Faulk). I'm hopeful.

Also, the defense has been a mess ever since Babich took over, but our D-line was good last year and Marinelli was in charge of that. I'm hopeful that the defense takes a step up just by getting a new voice controlling the whole team. Besides, I'd argue that when the Bears made the Super Bowl a few years ago, the front 7 was a bigger part of that then the secondary. I trust that with Peppers and a healthy Urlacher, this will be back to what it was.

BMW
07-21-2010, 04:30 PM
I forgot about Urlacher being out all of last year. With him back it changes the whole defense and since the injury came to his wrist that shouldn't slow him down this year. Well for me at least, I hope the Lions come out on top in week 1

AZCardsFan
07-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Urlacher is so much more to the Bears than their best player. He is their on-field coordinator. His return should not be undervalued in this discussion. (I will hold out my opinion on Peppers until the season starts and we see how he plays when he's not in a contract year.) As for their offense. It seems to me that they have made enough improvements to get their running game back on track. The running game was so unproductive last year that it was easy for defenses to stop their limited passing attack. Shoring up both of those areas, even if just a little, will make them a better football team. Unfortunately, they still play in the same division as two NFC super bowl contenders. I'm not saying that they are going to make the playoffs, but its a long season, and Im not ready to count them out just yet.

gatlin4331
07-21-2010, 05:31 PM
I really think Peppers is going to demand a lot of attention from the blocking lines. This should elevated the play of that line and also allow Urlacher to do some real damage against the run they should really improve and will probibly be in the top ten against the run. This exstra push and physicality up front should allow the secondary to play more agressive and get some more turnovers in that area. As far as Martz is concerned I think he will be able to maximize the play of Cutler and that running game and get Forte back in his rookie form which was as impressive a performance as I have ever seen. Martz has a knack for improving efficiency and cutting out plays that loose yards. Look for knox to elevate his play this year and the Bears to be in the hunt for a Wildcard spot.

Colts01
07-21-2010, 05:35 PM
I really Believe its a question of health for chicago,I think they have the talent to make the playoffs but health will be a major factor for them

DannyMilk
07-22-2010, 01:28 AM
Even if we have 4 wins, we still think we're in the hunt. We are idiots that love Da Bears

If Urlacher is healthy enough to play well and if Cutler plays closer to the expectations, then they could threaten for the division. I don't think they'll win it, but they might still be 'in the hunt' around week 14 or so.

As for Urlacher, I think the earliest we realize his career is ending, the sooner we will move on. This year, I plan on appreciating him while I watch moreso than years past. We take our LBs for granted here, as we did with Briggs for quite a while. I hope Brian gets to go out on his own terms. He deserves that.

Polishguy00
07-22-2010, 08:16 AM
I just want Urlacher to stay healthy for a good 12 to 13 games this year so I can remember him fondly. I still will, but I want one last pick or something. It does not seem it will be long for him. I hope not, but we will see.