PDA

View Full Version : Will Cedric get suspended?

walzav31
07-21-2010, 03:15 PM
We'll find out tomorrow. My feeling is that if Marvin thought he was going to be suspended, he wouldn't have commented on it. Hopefully there is no suspension.

KabaModernFan
07-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Probably. If there's one thing Goodell is going to crack down on someone for, it's off-field violence or things that could lead to violence. Benson has a history of legal issues and I would be surprised if Benson doesn't get a suspension of some sort.

Bunghole
07-21-2010, 03:41 PM
The story coming out is that Benson was sucker punched in a bar and fought back. To me that doesn't qualify as an act worthy of suspension. Benson has never actually been convicted of any crime, so a statement like his "history of legal issues" looks a bit misleading in that context.

I vote no suspension, but even if he is, it will be short and the Bengals will unleash Bernard Scott upon the world. Who is that, you say? You'll see!

Bengals1181
07-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Probably. If there's one thing Goodell is going to crack down on someone for, it's off-field violence or things that could lead to violence. Benson has a history of legal issues and I would be surprised if Benson doesn't get a suspension of some sort.

he wasn't ultimately charged in any of those past things. In fact, he was cleared.

All signs in this point to self-defense and considering Vince Young and Braylon Edwards didn't get suspensions for the same charge (yet not self-defense), this is a non-issue.

GiantsFaninToronto
07-21-2010, 05:33 PM
I kinda hope not. I have him in my other fantasy league. LOL

KabaModernFan
07-21-2010, 06:25 PM
he wasn't ultimately charged in any of those past things. In fact, he was cleared.

Yeah? And so was Ben Roethlisberger. What's your point? Benson has been arrested three times now, and Goodell doesn't care whether or not you've been convicted. His only concern is to protect the shield, and that means cracking down on players who do damage to the league's public image.

Dave Lapham
07-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Sounds like he was sucker punched. Toughest thing in the world is to keep your hands at your side and walk away. No question the lesson to be learned here has been told many times....NOTHING GOOD HAPPENS IN BARS AT 2AM. Don't put yourself in a bad situation.

Bunghole
07-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Sounds like he was sucker punched. Toughest thing in the world is to keep your hands at your side and walk away. No question the lesson to be learned here has been told many times....NOTHING GOOD HAPPENS IN BARS AT 2AM. Don't put yourself in a bad situation.

If anything, that's what he'll get suspended for...being out in bars after midnight, after having had other alcohol related issues. I doubt the fight is a blip on the radar. Its going to be a "you're an NFL player and should conduct yourself accordingly by not putting yourself into these types of situations" suspension, if any is forthcoming.

And KabaModernFan, there's hardly a comparison between multiple rape charges and a few alcohol related incidents. Rape is a far more serious allegation than allegedly getting into a bar fight. In fact, if Benson gets anywhere near the level of punishment RapelessBathroomBooger got in terms of games suspended, it will forever cement by belief that Goodell has a bias against Mike Brown and the Bengals.

KabaModernFan
07-21-2010, 07:45 PM
What Dave said is basically what I was trying to say...he just said it a lot more eloquently. And believe me, I'm not trying to compare rape to something like an assault charge. I know how serious it is, I have a friend who was sexually assaulted and it's an experience I would never wish on anyone. I was just saying that Benson has a history of incidents, and he should've known to show better judgment.

Andy Freeland
07-21-2010, 08:31 PM
I would guess he won't be suspended, but it's just a guess. It does sound like he wasn't the instigator, but, like Dave was saying, when a player has a series of incidence where he was in a bad situation, like Cedric has, it's time for him to take a long hard look at the decisions he's making to get himself into those situations.

Bunghole
07-21-2010, 09:10 PM
I would guess he won't be suspended, but it's just a guess. It does sound like he wasn't the instigator, but, like Dave was saying, when a player has a series of incidence where he was in a bad situation, like Cedric has, it's time for him to take a long hard look at the decisions he's making to get himself into those situations.

Except those other instances were a pretty long time ago in terms of the short memory of the NFL, and he was convicted of NONE of them. I believe it was two instances. I'd drink myself silly too if the Bears drafted me as their franchise RB and then allowed the creation of a locker room division against me, and then made me share time with Thomas Jones without telling me that was the plan.

Again...never convicted of a crime. The Bears coaches just didn't know how to handle him.

Bengals1181
07-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Except those other instances were a pretty long time ago in terms of the short memory of the NFL, and he was convicted of NONE of them. I believe it was two instances. I'd drink myself silly too if the Bears drafted me as their franchise RB and then allowed the creation of a locker room division against me, and then made me share time with Thomas Jones without telling me that was the plan.

Again...never convicted of a crime. The Bears coaches just didn't know how to handle him.

also, this latest incident I'm not sure involved alcohol. Certainly wasn't drunk.

Benson's story:

He was at a bar, some girls asked to take their picture with him.

Boyfriend showed up and didn't like it and sucker punched Ced.

Boyfriend got led away, someone else aggressively grabbed Ced from behind and he swung around and punched. Turned out it was the bartender.

Ced's the one who called the cops that night. They took his statement and left.

30 days later the bartender decided to press charges. Benson fully complied and flew down to Austin to get arrested.

The fact that he fully cooperated with the police (and in fact is the one who involved them) should go a long way with Goodell.

Bunghole
07-21-2010, 09:22 PM
also, this latest incident I'm not sure involved alcohol. Certainly wasn't drunk.

Benson's story:

He was at a bar, some girls asked to take their picture with him.

Boyfriend showed up and didn't like it and sucker punched Ced.

Boyfriend got led away, someone else aggressively grabbed Ced from behind and he swung around and punched. Turned out it was the bartender.

Ced's the one who called the cops that night. They took his statement and left.

30 days later the bartender decided to press charges. Benson fully complied and flew down to Austin to get arrested.

The fact that he fully cooperated with the police (and in fact is the one who involved them) should go a long way with Goodell.

One can only hope that Goodell takes all factors into consideration..for the sake of the Patriots and Ravens in the first two weeks...Bernard Scott...

Bengals1181
07-21-2010, 09:40 PM
One can only hope that Goodell takes all factors into consideration..for the sake of the Patriots and Ravens in the first two weeks...Bernard Scott...

lol you can pretty much guarantee it won't be a two game suspension. he'll be lucky to get one.

msclemons
07-21-2010, 09:43 PM
I can't see a suspension in this case. In other suspensions the player involved actively instigated the issues. Cedric did nothing wrong.

TheLinc
07-21-2010, 09:46 PM

Dave, Dave, DAVE. Next time you're in Miami - you and me my friend. Mansion, then Tootsies. I will prove you wrong, sir.

In all seriousness, if Benson is telling the truth then that doesn't merit a suspension. Never ceases to amaze me that, as often as players put themselves into stupid situations, people are just as willing to give them trouble and escalate things. I bartended in college and, I must confess, aggressively grabbing 6', 230-some-lb guys from behind, who I probably figured was a football player since people are snapping photos with him, was something I tended to avoid.

The situation could have been much worse, and I'm just glad there were no firearms involved.

walzav31
07-22-2010, 01:00 PM
When will the news come out?!?!?!!?!?!?!

Pruitt
07-23-2010, 08:43 AM
I think what he did was disgusting and he should be suspended for the ENTIRE SEASON!

Then again, I'm a Browns fan.

Sounds pretty innocuous - no way he'll be suspended for this.

DannyMilk
07-23-2010, 10:06 AM
I hate Benson, but yeah, it's hard to deal with crowds like that. Good thing that HE called the cops. Also, wasn't Vince Young just in a fight at a strip club, and it seemed that Goodell actually DIDN'T have much to say? I feel so old, because I'm happy that Goodell is layin the hammer down on these guys...when I was younger I'd probably be hoping for the players haha