PDA

View Full Version : Defensive game changers

Dave Lapham
07-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Ed Reed is projected to miss the first 6 weeks of the season on the PUP list recovering from hip surgery. He and Troy Polamalu are safeties I have admired for many years watching them compete in the AFCNorth. The Steelers secondary was much more vulnerable last year with TP missing so many games. The Steelers blew 6 fourth quarter leads last season. How big a factor was no TP in those losses? HUGE!!! Reed and Polamalu are my game changers at the safety position. The both cause QBs to hesitate, plant the element of uncertainty in their heads. Disrupted timing=turnovers. Jared Allen makes you account for him every snap at DE. Kevin Williams is the best interior pass rusher in the game. DeMarcus Ware is a force at OLB with his abilities to come off the edge. He is able to put his hand on the ground or collapse the pocket out of a 2 point stance. I saw Darrelle Revis dominate Chad Ochocinco 2 weeks in a row to conclude last season. A true beast, manchild. Who are your game changers at every level of the defense...DL, LB, DB?

kotar44
07-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Hard to argue with that list, with Revis maybe being the most impressive. How about Wilfork in N.E. and Willis in S.F.?

Andy Freeland
07-21-2010, 09:24 PM
There isn't a scarier player with the ball in his hands than Ed Reed (now that Devin Hester has become human). I'll throw in Mathis/Freeney, masters of the sack fumble.

Colts01
07-21-2010, 09:30 PM
There isn't a scarier player with the ball in his hands than Ed Reed (now that Devin Hester has become human). I'll throw in Mathis/Freeney, masters of the sack fumble.

agree agree agree,but Reed can also be his own worst enemy with his aggressive play,see Ravens/Colts playoff game last year

Tinindian
07-21-2010, 09:31 PM
I love to watch Polamalu play! I'll watch Steelers games just to watch him. He was a huge loss to the Steelers last year. The defense just wasn't the same without him.

I agree Andy, Ed Reed knows how to run with a football.

jmohr107
07-21-2010, 10:12 PM
I think the impact that Charles Woodson made on defense last year was very impressive, especially considering the fact that he plays corner most of the time and he isn't playing centerfield on every snap.

His versatility and ability to line up at different positions and do different things in Dom Capers' scheme was the reason he won Defensive Player of the Year. Its not just his ability to shut down receivers that makes him so good but he can also rush off the edge, force fumbles and even cover tight ends one-on- one.

Andy Freeland
07-21-2010, 10:50 PM
I think the impact that Charles Woodson made on defense last year was very impressive, especially considering the fact that he plays corner most of the time and he isn't playing centerfield on every snap.

2 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, 9 INTs with 3 returned for TDs (5 INT TDs the last 2 years), all while playing in a new scheme. Hard to argue against Charles Woodson.

TheLinc
07-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Ryans and Cushing in Houston both love to hit people, though for the latter I think we know why a bit better now. I loved Sheldon Brown on our corner, he'll greatly help out Cleveland in their secondary to compliment Haden and other additions. Also, not enough can be said about Byrd in Buffalo - anytime I watched games at a sports bar, I'd turn to a different TV to see other match-ups and I swear each time I saw a Bills game he was making another pick. Kid is a stud.

Ware was already mentioned, but I still have nightmares about him running around Peters and crushing McNabb in consecutive weeks. He's a machine. Willis in SF as well, I believe he was in the top 5 in tacklers last season - perfect type of player for Singletary. I'm hoping Bradley will return to fighting form and be able to contribute immediately for Philly as well.

Rookies, I'll be watching Nate Allen and Brandon Graham with great interest, obviously, but also expecting some nice productivity from Berry in KC and McClain in Oakland. Would have loved to have landed either of them.

Dave Lapham
07-22-2010, 12:48 AM
Charles Woodson got Carson Palmer twice in a game I covered in Green Bay last year. He took one back for a pick 6 and returned the other one inside the 10 yard line for an offensive short field score. Had a great season...big play after big play. Byrd, Willis, and Cushing are young game changers with bright futures. How big of a factor will Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy be at DT? They certainly dominated the line of scrimmage in Big 12 games I saw. May be a couple of future game changers.

TheLinc
07-22-2010, 01:09 AM
I was awestruck watching Suh in that Texas game - truly a man amongst boys (or as much of a boy as a 350lb O-Lineman can be). Admittedly I didn't get to see much of McCoy during the season except during OU's game against the Canes where I made it a point to pay attention to him, but I don't remember anything remarkable.

Still, both had extremely productive careers in one of the preeminent conferences and went #2 and #3 overall. There's no reason to think they won't be the effective defensive anchors of two rebuilding teams for years to come. They've got their work cut out for them in those conferences in particular, and I'm looking forward to see how they respond.

DannyMilk
07-22-2010, 01:18 AM
Saw the headline and the first name that came to mind was Polamalu haha...gotta respect the guy, although if he were on the Packers he'd just be another bully with flowing hair!

Polishguy00
07-22-2010, 08:14 AM
These play-making safeties seem to be the way to go. I think Adrian Wilson can be thrown in there. He does it all as well.

Andy Freeland
07-22-2010, 10:40 AM
I was awestruck watching Suh in that Texas game.

That was as good a game as any player had in college football last year. He was absolutely dominating.

ElShay
07-23-2010, 06:27 AM
DL: Haloti Ngata (clogs up the middle and IS the ravens run defense) and Jared Allen
LB: Patrick Willis and DeMarcus Ware(Pre injury Merriman was pretty awesome too ... sigh) are monsters.
DB: Darelle Revis and Troy Polamalu. The jets and steelers defenses are no where near as good without them.

ncoolong
07-23-2010, 07:35 AM
I saw LaMarr Woodley and Clay Matthews do things last year that makes me think they will replace Demarcus Ware and James Harrison as the elite OLBs (3-4 based at least) in the game. I didn't see much of Brian Orakpo, but he's gotta be up there as well, based on his stats.

When Shaun Rogers wants to play, he's basically unblockable. Wilfork and Ngata put in more effort (and are more versatile), but when Rogers doesn't want to be blocked, he won't be. Jared Allen drew more attention per snap than any other lineman, it seemed to me. Still pulled out, what, 14 sacks?

Lost in all the hype that is Darrelle Revis is Nnamdi Asomugha. Yes, the league did have a complete shut-down corner before Revis.

I dogged Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie quite a bit after Super Bowl XLIII (when Holmes torched him several times), but he rebounded and had an excellent season.

Pruitt
07-23-2010, 09:39 AM
I was awestruck watching Suh in that Texas game.

Can't wait to see this kid play.

My game changers are Polamalu, Patrick Willis and Jared Allen.

My all time favorite game changer on defense was the great Bruce Smith. The guy could do it all. And like many outstanding players, he made everyone around him seem that much better.

GBPKS
07-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Ed Reed is projected to miss the first 6 weeks of the season on the PUP list recovering from hip surgery. He and Troy Polamalu are safeties I have admired for many years watching them compete in the AFCNorth. The Steelers secondary was much more vulnerable last year with TP missing so many games. The Steelers blew 6 fourth quarter leads last season. How big a factor was no TP in those losses? HUGE!!! Reed and Polamalu are my game changers at the safety position. The both cause QBs to hesitate, plant the element of uncertainty in their heads. Disrupted timing=turnovers. Jared Allen makes you account for him every snap at DE. Kevin Williams is the best interior pass rusher in the game. DeMarcus Ware is a force at OLB with his abilities to come off the edge. He is able to put his hand on the ground or collapse the pocket out of a 2 point stance. I saw Darrelle Revis dominate Chad Ochocinco 2 weeks in a row to conclude last season. A true beast, manchild. Who are your game changers at every level of the defense...DL, LB, DB?

You left out the 2009 Defensive player of the Year Charles Woodson. Woodson is arguably the most versatile cornerback in the NFL right now - blitzing, playing the run, coverage - he is the whole package, while Darrelle Revis and Nnamdi Asomugha are more elite cover guys.

KevinG
07-23-2010, 04:01 PM
You left out the 2009 Defensive player of the Year Charles Woodson. Woodson is arguably the most versatile cornerback in the NFL right now - blitzing, playing the run, coverage - he is the whole package, while Darrelle Revis and Nnamdi Asomugha are more elite cover guys.

I should have known you'd beat me to Woodson, GBPKS :)

When Shaun Rogers wants to play, he's basically unblockable. Wilfork and Ngata put in more effort (and are more versatile), but when Rogers doesn't want to be blocked, he won't be.

It amazes me that players like Rogers would ever WANT to be blocked. Why a player with tremendous talent would ever not use that talent to the best of their ability is beyond me, but it does happen.

GoBigOrGoHome
07-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Charles Woodson got Carson Palmer twice in a game I covered in Green Bay last year. He took one back for a pick 6 and returned the other one inside the 10 yard line for an offensive short field score. Had a great season...big play after big play. Byrd, Willis, and Cushing are young game changers with bright futures. How big of a factor will Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy be at DT? They certainly dominated the line of scrimmage in Big 12 games I saw. May be a couple of future game changers.

We the Lions fans have HUGE hopes for Suh. He is going to be very good, especially with VandenBosch in there with him. Hopefully they can shorten the length of pass plays by the opposition and take some pressure off the secondary.

KevinG
07-23-2010, 04:25 PM
We the Lions fans have HUGE hopes for Suh. He is going to be very good, especially with VandenBosch in there with him. Hopefully they can shorten the length of pass plays by the opposition and take some pressure off the secondary.

I like Suh's chances to become an NFL stud. I like the moves the Lions have made since Millen left town and see them slowly but surely climbing out of the hole he put them in, but I think they're a season away from being able to climb out of the NFC north cellar. I remember the drought years the Packers had following Super Bowl II and Wolfe/Holmgren's arrival in GB, so I have a certain empathy for Lions fans. They deserve a winner again, and so long as they lose to the Packers I'm fine with it :)

Pattrick
07-23-2010, 08:50 PM
I know I'm biased but I don't think Willis in SF gets enough credit and respect for being a HUGE defensive presence. After being drafted he very quickly became a monster on defense.

ReaderM
07-23-2010, 09:26 PM
I know I'm biased but I don't think Willis in SF gets enough credit and respect for being a HUGE defensive presence. After being drafted he very quickly became a monster on defense.

I was just about to type this, honestly I think with all due respect to some other players that Patrick Willis is the best middle linebacker in the league right now. Now I know it hard to compare LB between 3-4 & 4-3 Systems but Willis is one of those no matter the system will find a way to excel. I don't think we can also underestimate the tutelage that Mike Singletary is having on him also.

As for DL.. I think that Dwight Freeney is the preeminent best DE in the league and is just a terror. Everything thing I've read/heard from coaches and players is just how much they have to focus on him solely in their Defensive plans for the week and how he is one of the top 3 guys hardest to game plan against.

As for DB.. I'm going with a pair instead of 1 player in the Cincinnati Bengals CB duo of Johnathan Joseph & Leon Hall. I don't know if there is a pair more underrated in the league. I will freely admit I didn't know about them till recently but going back and looking at their stats and how they played, this is a dominant Duo.. the duel opposite of an Boldin/Fitzgerald combo

iwatt
08-06-2010, 05:19 PM
A little late to the party, but I just ahd to add:

Darren Sharper: might be getting old in the tooth, and is recovering from injuries, but he is a ball hawk of tremendous ability. Not an elite tackler though (SF Willis is the best tackler of the game)

Julius Peppers: Da Bears defense will be back this year, and JP will be one of the key ingredients. Remember last eyars MNF game against the Vikings....I'm sure Favre and Chilly do... ;)

Bunghole
08-06-2010, 05:52 PM
The entire 2010 Bengals defense as a collective unit. Booyah!
:D

imiweli
08-06-2010, 11:24 PM
On the D-Line - Vince Wilfork
LB - Willis and Cushing
DB - Woodson

IndyColtsFan
08-07-2010, 12:30 PM
DB- Ed Reed
LB: Cushing
DL: Freeney and Allen
All Time: Rod Woodson