PDA

View Full Version : Women and the NFL

Colts01
07-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Can you see a time in the near or distant future when a woman becomes head coach of an NFL team?
So far there seem to be only a handful of women with high level NFL jobs which include...

Dawn Apont- Senior VP of Football Operations with the Dolphins

Amy Trask- CEO of the Oakland Raiders

Katie Blackburn-Executive Vice President Bengals

Rita LeBlanc-Excutive vice president Saints.

There have been others as well and while alot in these positions get in the door via family connections (same can be said for alot of men) I wonder if it will ever translate onto the field via coaching jobs? I say if you are qualified why not.
your thoughts forum.......

kotar44
07-21-2010, 07:48 PM
No...no need to go any further

Andy Freeland
07-21-2010, 07:53 PM
I wonder if it will ever translate onto the field via coaching jobs?

It should, not really sure it will. It would have to start in the high schools and colleges, not the front office. Are there any female position coaches in college or high school?

Colts01
07-21-2010, 08:09 PM
It should, not really sure it will. It would have to start in the high schools and colleges, not the front office. Are there any female position coaches in college or high school?

One I know of coaching varsity high school
Natalie Randolph, the new head coach at Washington D.C.'s Calvin Coolidge High.

brauneyz
07-21-2010, 09:36 PM
No...no need to go any further

OK, gotta ask. Why not?

CABengalsfan
07-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Tough to get a HC job if you have never played the sport at any level. Basketball has the best chance for a female coach because women can play that at a very high level compared to other sports. I just think it is hard to understand and earn respect for a sport that you have never competed in. Not saying it can't or won't be done but it isn't going to happen soon. Blame genetics I guess...

Colts01
07-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Tough to get a HC job if you have never played the sport at any level. Basketball has the best chance for a female coach because women can play that at a very high level compared to other sports. I just think it is hard to understand and earn respect for a sport that you have never competed in. Not saying it can't or won't be done but it isn't going to happen soon. Blame genetics I guess...
agree of corse someone would have to work their way up the ranks and agree on the Basketball thing,I think the Likes of Pat Summit can get respect reguardless of gender

ReaderM
07-21-2010, 10:26 PM
While I think there are many opportunites for future women in the front office, I think it will be a long time before we see a female coach. Marcellus Wiley had a really good interview (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dave-hollander/espns-marcellus-wiley-see_b_645859.html) recently on how hard it would be a homosexual male to come out in a locker room. I can only imagine how hard it would be for a female coach to command the respect of room full of grown men in a very testosterone filled atmosphere. Most woman sports are barely gaining recognizability for their accolades with the possible exception of College Women's Basketball and Softball. I mean look how long it took another league, the NBA to integrate a female referee into their fold. NFL has been called an old boys club at times,it took the Rooney Rules just to increase minority hirings within the league. Only way I can currently see a female coach working in the NFL currently is for her to have worked in the college ranks for a few years then having coming into the NFL and proved herself as a coordinator. Not saying there currently is a woman out there who isn't qualified but the current hurdles I think would just be too hard to overcome without a sizable pressure for an outside source.

TheLinc
07-21-2010, 10:36 PM
Never say never, but this one is close. I don't think gender, race or creed is criteria to be considered when talking about how good of a coach one can be, but there are far more outside pressures for females, especially for a sport such as this as has been pointed out. Andy asked the question I came to post, and it seems unlikely that is on the verge of changing either. Until they start filling out lower coaching and coordinator positions, I think the NFL will remain the veritable boys club (aside from the notable exceptions Colts01 astutely pointed out).

mattpett
07-21-2010, 10:39 PM
I don't think that a female will be able to gain the respect of a locker room without ever playing a down in her entire life.

adamdon3
07-21-2010, 10:40 PM
I have seen a woman coach or two at high school conventions. Scary looking ones that probably could have been NFL O-Linemen, I mean O-Linewomen... err whatever. I don't see it ever happening at a D1 program or in the NFL. It is one thing to be an executive and work in the office, a whole nother deal to be on the field and in the locker room.

footballgal
07-21-2010, 10:46 PM
I agree with most of the sentiments here. It's tough (but not impossible) to coach without having played the sport at some level. Beyond that, some men don't deal well with female authority; that's just a fact. And even men who don't have problems with women in general might have problems dealing with a woman in a very male-dominated role in a basically all-male field.

I think it could happen someday, and it wouldn't just have to be the right woman in the right situation; it would have to be a series of women in ever-improving situations. There can't be a successful female NFL coach before there's a successful female college coach; there can't be a successful head coach until there's a successful coordinator, and so on down the line. It could happen, but it would be a long, long time from now.

msclemons
07-21-2010, 10:49 PM
The hardest thing for a woman to overcome as an NFL coach would be the young men in uniform. I was a young man once and I can speak from experience. When a twenty-something male interacts with a female there is only one thing on his mind. And no, it is not "watch the safety's drop depth on a slant route".

ReaderM
07-21-2010, 10:52 PM
I don't think that a female will be able to gain the respect of a locker room without ever playing a down in her entire life.

Which kinda expounds on my point of female sports gaining recognition and how hard it is. There is a definitely a social stigma that women are not supposed supposed to play the rough and tumble sports like Football, rugby or wrestling and are instead to be driven to more finesse sports. I've meet and played with some women rugby players and you probably wouldn't be surprised at how many guys they say are intimated/turned off by them for doing such a thing ( and no it's not an attractiveness factor because honestly most of them weren't even what you would would call Butch). I guess it along the same lines as the factor/stigma that a lot of female sports fans complain about how put off a some men are when they showcases a deep fan base knowledge to rival or surpass their own

msclemons
07-21-2010, 10:53 PM
I think it could happen someday, and it wouldn't just have to be the right woman in the right situation; it would have to be a series of women in ever-improving situations. There can't be a successful female NFL coach before there's a successful female college coach; there can't be a successful head coach until there's a successful coordinator, and so on down the line. It could happen, but it would be a long, long time from now.

This is an EXCELLENT summation. Very similar to the route African American coaches had to take. I now feel bad that I posted shallow, tongue-in-cheek humor directly after this post.

footballgal
07-21-2010, 10:56 PM
This is an EXCELLENT summation. Very similar to the route African American coaches had to take. I now feel bad that I posted shallow, tongue-in-cheek humor directly after this post.

Oh, don't feel bad; I was about to reply to yours saying that, let's be honest, female football coaches will be unlikely to look like Goldie Hawn in Wildcats.

BelizeanBoss
11-10-2012, 09:31 PM
I think that it would definitely be possible for a woman to become an NFL coach seeing as how I want to be the first. It has nothing to do with gender and more to do with how you carry yourself and how serious you are about the sport it self. I am the manager for my high school football team, ( which won state last year and is well on its way this year) which means I know how it feels to win and I know how it feels to lose. I know that weird feeling that you get in your stomach as you walk onto the field before game and the anxiety when you are winning by one point with 2 minutes left and the other team has the ball. I have played football for my middle school and only stopped in high school when I realized that no matter how great I played, I would never really be able to go far. So I decided that if I cant play, I will help someone else be better at playing. Football is an amazing sport and I think that I would be a great football coach/physical therapist. I have indeed gained the respect from the players the key is to treat them as brothers and not just boys. I love them to death and would give anything to see them achieve greatness. I am 16 years old, and I know what I want to be for the rest of my life; The first female headcoach in the NFL.

vancemeek
11-10-2012, 10:47 PM
Welcome aboard. Great post.

mikesteelnation1
11-11-2012, 02:11 AM
Welcome aboard. Great post.

Agreed on both points vance!! And even better she's a steelers fan! :D

Welcome belizean. Check out the steelers team page for some in depth black and gold talk!

vancemeek
11-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Well that Steelers part is debatable (wink wink) but hopefully she returns.

Amy
11-11-2012, 12:42 PM
I think it's more than possible that it will happen at some point. There's no reason it won't. Coaching is about strategy and teaching. and we can do that as well as guys can. It won't happen soon, I don't think, but to say never is short sighted. I wouldn't want to be a coach, myself, but only because I'd rather be Director of Officiating, or Commissioner.

BelizeanBoss
11-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Thank you for the support guys. Its still Steelers nation though! :)

wxwax
11-11-2012, 01:41 PM
A number of head football coaches in college never played past high school. (It's unclear if they played in high school.)

I was thinking of Mike Leach. His Wiki page lists others.

Leach is atypical among NCAA Division I head football coaches in that he did not play football at the college level. He was one of only seven such coaches, with Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech, David Cutcliffe at Duke, George O'Leary at UCF, Bobby Hauck at UNLV, Charlie Weis at Kansas, and Chip Kelly at Oregon.

I don't think a person's sex affects their ability to lead people. Women lead men in man walks of life, including the armed forces. And I don't think a lack of playing time will be an issue. If it hasn't for the above-named coaches, why would it be for a woman?

The obstacles: prejudice, and the existence of women who have both the motivation and the talent to be good coaches. The former will take a long time to overcome. The latter is in the hands for the gods.

wxwax
11-11-2012, 01:45 PM
What drew me to this thread is something I read about Sean Payton. The reason he wants Mickey Loomis tied to his contract is reportedly because he wants a layer between himself and Rita LeBlanc. I've read that she's a terror, an unpleasant and capricious person. No idea if that's true. But it's interesting that Payton reportedly wants a clear separation between himself and her.

LongSufferingBucsFan
11-11-2012, 08:40 PM
I guess you guys have never heard of the Independent Women's Football League?

IWFL Mission: "To create and promote a full tackle women's football league focused on creating a positive, safe and fun environment for the women who play football and a fun experience for the families coming out to watch them. The IWFL is a Women's Tackle Football league allowing all women the opportunity to play tackle football. The IWFL also allows women and men alike the opportunity to coach, manage and even own a sports team in order to further this opportunity for women athletes."

BelizeanBoss, I admire your moxy! Dream big and believe in yourself. Women have made great strides in the football arena as far as reporting, but there are still many doors to be opened. Never give up. I am rooting for you!

wxwax
11-11-2012, 10:12 PM
You're right, LongSuffering, never heard of them. I wish them well. I get very sad when I think about the Lingerie Football League. I think people imagine that it's staffed by hot models in underwear.

But it's not. The players are college athletes and this degrading league is one of the few ways that athletic women can make money with their physical skills. They play hard and they obviously love sport. Unfortunately, this sexist marketing is the only way they can generate an audience.

I love watching high level women's soccer and golf. But the majority of men think it's inferior to the male product and therefore not worth their time. That's a hard prejudice to overcome.

cml
11-11-2012, 11:16 PM
I love watching high level women's soccer and golf. But the majority of men think it's inferior to the male product and therefore not worth their time. That's a hard prejudice to overcome.

Tangential here, but I think women's soccer is better to watch than men's most of the time - a lot less flopping, generally.

In terms of a woman coaching, it's either going to be a process as mentioned before, or one particularly forward-thinking owner. Another big problem the first female coach will face is that there will be an overwhelming amount of pressure on her to succeed - not only for her own sake, but for the sake of future women as well (since it's likely that if she did not have success, it would be quite a while before another woman got hired, I think).

mikesteelnation1
11-12-2012, 03:16 AM
I don't think weather someone played or not is an issue in this matter, however, the issue will be is can a supreme alpha male acquiese to a woman.. I'd venture to say no, and quite vehemently.

Women in charge in a male dominated setting don't do well. That's fact. I've been an upper level manager for a male dominated company for a very long time. Female managers fail at nearly a 98% clip in that setting. Most can't separate emotion from content, and make the staff deaf to anything they say.

I always give the job to the best person for it, but the facts are sometimes tough to swallow. In my career, there has only been a small handful of women who managed mostly male staffs to a level above their male counterparts. This is with unskilled labor. Factor in the skilled labor, and the uber alpha males that make up most of ncaa and NFL football, and its very, very, very highly unlikely we ever see ANY coach at ANY capacity that's female in the ncaa at the bcs level or the NFL.

It will take a quite special football mind to change that axiom... One who's schemes are transcendent.

It might happen eventually, but not anytime soon.

packa7x
11-12-2012, 09:42 AM
You're right, LongSuffering, never heard of them. I wish them well. I get very sad when I think about the Lingerie Football League. I think people imagine that it's staffed by hot models in underwear.

But it's not. The players are college athletes and this degrading league is one of the few ways that athletic women can make money with their physical skills. They play hard and they obviously love sport. Unfortunately, this sexist marketing is the only way they can generate an audience.

I know a girl who plays in the LFL. She doesn't feel degraded by playing. I'm sure that most don't.

ElGuapo
11-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Interesting topic. I'm with Wxwax and a few others. This has absolutely nothing to do with gender or whether you played ball. A good coach is a good coach and a good leader is a good leader. Mash those two together in any gender and people will follow. People had these same arguments about whether you could put African American players in football. Vince Lombardi tossed aside the naysayers and coached players that had heart.

Would a female HC face problem players? Absolutely. Would some guys have trouble with her authority? Absolutely. They will get shipped off to another team and players with the right attitude and skills will be left. It's no different than a player that doesn't like Tom Coughlin's or Bill Belichik's style. Those guys get shipped away in favor of a player that will get on board with the team concept.

BTW - We also left the most powerful female in all of the NFL off of the list - Virginia McCaskey

wxwax
11-12-2012, 07:17 PM
I know a girl who plays in the LFL. She doesn't feel degraded by playing. I'm sure that most don't.

She likes a uni that has her butt hanging out? She likes team tryouts where they have to bring a model-type photo? I'm finding that hard to believe. Lingerie is starting a team here and the info for candidates was a bit embarrassing. I understand it, it's a crowded sports marketplace. I just hate it.

wxwax
11-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Interesting topic. I'm with Wxwax and a few others. This has absolutely nothing to do with gender or whether you played ball. A good coach is a good coach and a good leader is a good leader. Mash those two together in any gender and people will follow. People had these same arguments about whether you could put African American players in football. Vince Lombardi tossed aside the naysayers and coached players that had heart.

Would a female HC face problem players? Absolutely. Would some guys have trouble with her authority? Absolutely. They will get shipped off to another team and players with the right attitude and skills will be left. It's no different than a player that doesn't like Tom Coughlin's or Bill Belichik's style. Those guys get shipped away in favor of a player that will get on board with the team concept.

BTW - We also left the most powerful female in all of the NFL off of the list - Virginia McCaskey

Good post. Good analogy wrt to the malcontents.

packa7x
11-12-2012, 09:19 PM
She likes a uni that has her butt hanging out? She likes team tryouts where they have to bring a model-type photo? I'm finding that hard to believe. Lingerie is starting a team here and the info for candidates was a bit embarrassing. I understand it, it's a crowded sports marketplace. I just hate it.

Wax, this girl is proud of both her body and her athletic talent. She's also a cheerleader (did it for 4 years at RU) and is involved with cheerleading and played other sports in HS. You seem like a pretty diverse and understanding guy, surely your years living in other places taught you that some people are different?

ElGuapo
11-13-2012, 12:30 PM
If I were a woman who wanted to play football and the Lingerie football league was the only viable outlet, I'd do it. There are men and women who have suffered through a lot more than wearing a skimpy outfit in order to further their rights. Admittedly I've only seen a few minutes of the lingerie games here and there, but I saw some hard-nosed football. Sure there are 14 boys and 40 year old men who watch with a pair of binoculars, but some people truly enjoy seeing good play.

packa7x
11-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Yeah, she's as happy as can be doing it and many girls I know are very jealous of her. She doesn't mind the skimpy outfits and stuff because it shows off the hard work she's put in.

Rich Gapinski
11-13-2012, 02:18 PM
This was a blog post that started as a joke but got more reasonable that I did in October of 2010:

Because I never miss a chance to promote myself:

Long Awaited Review of Lingerie Football League

THE TEAMS If you want to see the Lingerie Football League, you can see it in the following ten cities: Tampa (Breeze), Philly (Passion), Miami (Caliente), Orlando (Fantasy), Baltimore (Charm), Chicago (Bliss), San Diego (Seduction), LA (Temptation), Dallas (Desire) and Seattle (Mist).

THE GAME It's 7 on 7 football. 50 yard field. I watched two games and am not sure if there is actually a kick besides each one to open the halves. This was never explained and it is not even explained well on the website. 1 (2yd) or 2 pt (5yd) option after a touchdown. There must be two passes attempted every four downs (This seems to be a rule change in between each of the games I DVR'd). 18 minutes running clock halves. I guess this is because very new league with women has to begin in halves (see NBA, W) before going to quarters or something. Why? I have no idea.

HOW TO SEE IT On MTV2 on Friday Nights.

THE SCHEDULE Now, I learned about the schedule after I watched the games and went to the website. This made some of the commentating very funny after the fact. Each team only plays a 4 game season. The top two in each division face in a League Championship and then a Lingerie Bowl.

LET'S GET HORNY GUY STUFF OUT OF THE WAY
Thought #1: This is going to be really hot. Reality: Yeah, it still is. I mean, it's women tight bikini-type things playing football. Yeah, but it is not as hot as the horny guy thought is. They wear shoulder pads that are somehow tied into the "tops" they wear or something. They also wear hockey helmets, pads, eye black. They also wear garters like they were wrist bands or something.

Thought #2: There might be accidental nudity. Reality: None. Nada. Somehow the uniforms themselves never move at all. Ever. I wonder if there was actual tests done to prevent this. I think there was.

Thought #3: I mean, it still will be like watching 14 Playboy spreads running around on a field, right? Reality: Maybe I need to go to a game, but even in HD at home, it is not like that at all. Seeing a rug burn on a good-looking woman after a tackle is not that hot. The sweat does not help much, either.

IN GAME ACTION
Most of the plays look like real plays we see in regular football. I did see an end around, a sweep, a counter, a reverse sweep, a real screen, a delay, a draw, an option, a QB sneak and even a FB dive. There are not a lot of passes that go 10 yards. One girl on Philly can actually throw, though. She can't throw further than me, but I had a arm, but she could definitely toss one past a couple friends of mine could throw. I did see a 35 yard spiral. There are some good hits by some of the women. 3 or 4 per game.

THE COMMENTARY
This is by the far the best part of the action on television. The commentators on MTV2 go out of their way to embarrass themselves with their words and I could not be happier. Certain players are showcased during the games to try and promote them. A player from Philly was called a cross between "Chris Johnson and Andre Johnson." They talk of the players being free agents and rookies and veterans and stars and as top players at their positions. A group of d-linewomen are described as bookends (5' 7", 132 and 5' 10", 160) for Philly. The commentators mention the Power Rankings (which do exist on the LFL website) and talk about there "not being enough tape" on certain players. Players are described as All-Fantasy QBs, WRs, or RBs.

There definitely was some mistakes in the presentation. They sell the point that the LFL is the only game where the fans don't leave when it is 30-0 at half (It was 33-0 during Philly game) way too hard. A couple times, they say "there you see the numbers" and there is no graphic. There was an expected number of veiled sexual references. There is some audio of "trash talk," which is normally just a girl screaming in a way-too-manly way.

THE FANS
It took 7 minutes for there to be a shot of drunk guys in the stands at the Philly game. The Seattle game seemed to actually be sold out and the crowd was loud. There even was a staged false start by Chicago to promote this fact and make the crowd sound like they were the Seahawks crowd. There was a shot of a Japanese businessman that could have led to many obvious jokes; I am glad the commentators let it go. There was a shot of female fans in Seattle wearing the uniforms without the pads. There should have been more shots of them. Guys now have a new idea for anniversary gifts.

THE DECISION
It's not bad. The website is not done cheap. There is enough fun and humor that proves that the league is not actually taken as seriously as the commentators make it sound on MTV2. One good instance is talk about the line for a league game at the Las Vegas Wynn. Maybe Buzmeg can make a stop and let me know if there are actually lines for these games. The actual lack of horny guy stuff is disappointing. Tickets cost about as much as an Arena League game, except it has hot women. I guess that is what this whole thing comes down to: Would I rather go to an AFL game or a LFL game? Heck, I'd try a LFL game. The research was well worth it the Chris/Andre Johnson comment was the only thing I heard.

ElGuapo
11-13-2012, 05:22 PM
I'm not surprised that the league tries to ham it up and sell the sex appeal, although that's probably no indication about how seriously the players take it.

All of this folds back into the supposition that women can play in the game and could also be coaches.

For some reason, I just remembered that Nick Mangold's (Jets center) sister was a pretty good football player but they wouldn't let her play college. I read an article around the Olympics that she had therefore switched to powerlifting. No doubt that as more girls become athletes that more will venture into traditionally male-dominated sports like football. It's all just a matter of time.

packa7x
11-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Nick Mangold's sister is one of the more disgusting looking life forms I've ever seen...

ElGuapo
11-14-2012, 09:04 AM
....and that's one of the obstacles women have to face while breaking into football. Looks seem to matter to some people. Jack Lambert was one of the more disgusting looking life forms but was still allowed to play the game. He did it quite well for the Steel Curtain

packa7x
11-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Disagree here Guapo. I wouldn't mind an ugly woman, it's just the size of Holley Mangold. Her weight is a real issue. If you look at most NFL players including offensive linemen, they're trim for being 300 pounds. They're rare human beings. Guys with enough meat to be able to move and hold their ground. You have to be an extremely talented player to make it to the NFL with any kind of serious weight problem. Here's a story about a guy who played football at my HS. He was 517 pounds and dominant as all hell, but he didn't even try to make it to college because he was a blob.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/t/story?id=100234&page=1

Andy Freeland
11-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Disagree here Guapo. I wouldn't mind an ugly woman, it's just the size of Holley Mangold. Her weight is a real issue. If you look at most NFL players including offensive linemen, they're trim for being 300 pounds. They're rare human beings. Guys with enough meat to be able to move and hold their ground. You have to be an extremely talented player to make it to the NFL with any kind of serious weight problem. Here's a story about a guy who played football at my HS. He was 517 pounds and dominant as all hell, but he didn't even try to make it to college because he was a blob.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/t/story?id=100234&page=1

http://www.footballhappenings.com/Images00/FatKid_sm.jpg

That guy has a very difficult life ahead of him.

Curtis
11-14-2012, 09:52 AM
She isn't going to win a beauty pageant, but I think what she does as a lifter is impressive.

packa7x
11-14-2012, 11:24 AM
http://www.footballhappenings.com/Images00/FatKid_sm.jpg

That guy has a very difficult life ahead of him.

From what I hear, he's cut a lot of weight. He's still obese, but it's managed well. Great guy, nice as can be. I remember day 1 of varsity practice going through the pile of jerseys to find your number of choice and seeing a jersey about 3 times as big as the others and being horrified.

packa7x
11-14-2012, 11:25 AM
She isn't going to win a beauty pageant, but I think what she does as a lifter is impressive.

Absolutely. She kicks ass in that aspect.

wxwax
01-11-2013, 07:22 PM

I am delighted to read that the Lingerie league is ditching their moniker (http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pattisonave/Lingerie-Football-League-ditching-lingerie-and-not-in-the-fun-way.html) and dumping the underwear-like costumes.

They're going to give the women proper uniforms and market themselves as an athletic league, not a Hooters league. Not a moment too soon, says I. Let these women have some dignity.

KabaModernFan
01-11-2013, 07:27 PM
I am delighted to read that the Lingerie league is ditching their moniker (http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pattisonave/Lingerie-Football-League-ditching-lingerie-and-not-in-the-fun-way.html) and dumping the underwear-like costumes.

They're going to give the women proper uniforms and market themselves as an athletic league, not a Hooters league. Not a moment too soon, says I. Let these women have some dignity.

And no paychecks. As unfortunate as it is, I find it hard to believe that this move won't be the death of the league.

vancemeek
01-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Yep. Can't imagine they'll find sudden success. Half (that's being kind) of the people watching were only doing so to see hotnwomen in lingerie playing football.

wxwax
01-11-2013, 08:27 PM
And no paychecks. As unfortunate as it is, I find it hard to believe that this move won't be the death of the league.

Well, they get money, but not salaries. From what I can see, they pay them as independent contractors. I've seen a figure of $40,000 pa posted but I have no idea if that's accurate.

The league had MTV2 as a TV partner for the last two seasons. I can't tell if they have a deal for their next season, which was moved to an April start.

Sad (or good?) to say, the new uniforms won't mimic lingerie, but otherwise apparently they won't be much different in appearance. Skimpy and tight.

"Instead, performance apparel will be worn although the look is still very much the same."

Mostly, this moves them away from marketing their product as an ogle-fest for wankers. I hope it works for them. If they're making drastic changes because the league is struggling, then the lingerie angle wasn't working anyway, so no harm done by switching.

Professional women's sports have a hard time pretty much everywhere on this planet of ours. I watch some golf and quite a bit of tennis. Soccer is now moving into its third incarnation in the US. I guess the basic problem is that the audience for sports is more male than female, and guys tend not to respect women athletes, since they're slower, smaller and weaker than their male counterparts.

All I can say for myself is that the Olympic semifinal between USA and Canada women was my sports highlight of the year and it was one of the most thrilling sports events I've ever watched.

packa7x
01-12-2013, 07:31 AM
History has shown people won't buy a legitimate female football league. It's been tried. I applaud the move to try to make the league legitimate, but I don't think it will last very long. Most people watched it because of the lingerie not because it was quality football. Most people have an NFL and a college team they already follow.

Pruitt
01-12-2013, 07:48 AM
No point mincing words - nobody wants to watch a women's football league.

packa7x
01-12-2013, 08:08 AM
No point mincing words - nobody wants to watch a women's football league.

Well put.