PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Katrina

DannyMilk
07-22-2010, 02:06 AM
So does the NFL care anymore? Does anyone care anymore. I think it's sad how America works. And listen, I am the typical American with the typical American attitude..."well, what am I supposed to do? It didn't affect ME, so whatever." I just wonder how Saints fans, namely, feel down there, and how much the SB win helped.

IndyColtsFan
07-22-2010, 02:14 AM
not sure what is being asked here -- IMO the Super Bowl was a huge lift to the city and allowed for a great time of partying and celebration

DannyMilk
07-22-2010, 02:17 AM
Just basically asking how Saints fans feel. I know sometimes, people feel abandoned, ya know? Like, yeah, we'll help you for a couple months, but then we will leave and forget. Just wondering if the Saints and/or the NFL are still involved in rebuilding and stuff, or how Saints fans feel about that situation.

IndyColtsFan
07-22-2010, 02:23 AM
ok well I do not have information on this so I will let someone else with better knowledge answer

DannyMilk
07-22-2010, 02:30 AM
haha I have NO knowledge, just curious I suppose.

msclemons
07-22-2010, 02:51 AM
That's actually a great question. I have no idea how New Orleans is doing lately - I assume they're rebuilding well but I don't know.

You're right - once a topic falls off of page 1 news it gets forgotten quickly.

Polishguy00
07-22-2010, 08:36 AM
The "Real World" is back there, so things must be great. I'm kidding.

I am absolutely sure that many are still suffering. The flight of people to leave the city pretty much makes it impossible to recover quickly in terms of a local economy. Without a local economy to support what happened, it still will be years, if ever, that the city gets to the way it was.

I am guessing on only economic concepts here, I am sure people from the area can fill us in better than that.

buzmeg
07-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Watch the HBO show Treme. You'll get great insight on what when on soon after the Katrina tragedy.

MattBer2c
07-22-2010, 12:16 PM
New Orleans is doing very well in my opinion(though we still have a way to go). Things have definitely changed, like some families and businesses have had to relocate. Downtown and Uptown New Orleans look like they always have, streets filled with people and bars open until the sun comes up. The places that are still hurt are just outside the city: 9th Ward, St. Bernard Parish, New Orleans East, and parts of Lakeview.

The Saints have been great. Brees has a foundation to help local schools, Fujita worked with Children's hospital, Bush has a football camp down here, and one day instead of practice Payton took the team to build a family's destroyed home. I personally remember when the Winn Dixie(local grocery store) had its grand opening, Deuce McAllister was there to sign autographs. It was the strangest thing, but they were there for us, you know?

The Super Bowl was incredibly uplifting! Everyone was able to party, and much of the city had been restored by then. I'll never forget that day or the parade, haha.

***I always gotta mention Mississippi when Katrina gets brought up. My friend is from Biloxi, and his house literally got flattened to just a slab of concrete. He's doing fine now, but sometimes people forget the victims over there.

Tinindian
07-22-2010, 01:19 PM
New Orleans is doing very well in my opinion(though we still have a way to go). Things have definitely changed, like some families and businesses have had to relocate. Downtown and Uptown New Orleans look like they always have, streets filled with people and bars open until the sun comes up. The places that are still hurt are just outside the city: 9th Ward, St. Bernard Parish, New Orleans East, and parts of Lakeview.

The Saints have been great. Brees has a foundation to help local schools, Fujita worked with Children's hospital, Bush has a football camp down here, and one day instead of practice Payton took the team to build a family's destroyed home. I personally remember when the Winn Dixie(local grocery store) had its grand opening, Deuce McAllister was there to sign autographs. It was the strangest thing, but they were there for us, you know?

The Super Bowl was incredibly uplifting! Everyone was able to party, and much of the city had been restored by then. I'll never forget that day or the parade, haha.

***I always gotta mention Mississippi when Katrina gets brought up. My friend is from Biloxi, and his house literally got flattened to just a slab of concrete. He's doing fine now, but sometimes people forget the victims over there.

Good to hear some confirmation on that. I had heard that things were going pretty good there but there is still much to be done. You're right, when it comes to Katrina Mississippi seems to get forgotten. Are things improving there as well aside from your friend. For those who haven't been through Hurricanes, the Northeast side of the storm is typically the worst part of the storm. You usually get the heaviest rain there and in addition to the high sustained winds you also get tornadoes popping up as well. Thats the part of Katrina that Mississippi got.

DannyMilk
07-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I know the "little" guys that aren't named New Orleans get forgotten. I met Chris Duhon the day after it all happened, he's from Slidell, LA I think, but he was on ESPN 1000 and he was visibly upset...I mean, polite, nice, but you could tell he was hurtin...We had him on to promote his charity at the time, which already was trying to help the area out.