PDA

View Full Version : Who is the most annoying guy/gal on ESPN?

GoBigOrGoHome
07-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Skip Bayless gets my vote (even over Berman). Stephen A. Smith held the title while was there. Have at it.

mjchefer
07-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Let me give you my top ten.
1. Skip Bayless
2. Skip Bayless
3. Skip Bayless
4. Skip Bayless
5. Skip Bayless
6. Skip Bayless
7. Skip Bayless
8. Skip Bayless
9. Skip Bayless
10.Skip Bayless

MattBer2c
07-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Guy: Skip Bayless.
Gal: Jemele Hill. She makes it painfully obvious that only Jim Rome can pull those monologues off.

GoBigOrGoHome
07-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Nice! Jay Mariotti, Woody Paige, Dan LeBatard and Mike Lupica round out my top 5.

GoBigOrGoHome
07-22-2010, 03:58 PM
None of the gals really get under my skin. Scratch that - Pam Ward. When she calls a football game it's excruciating.

mjchefer
07-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Nice! Jay Mariotti, Woody Paige, Dan LeBatard and Mike Lupica round out my top 5.

I second your top five.

GoBigOrGoHome
07-22-2010, 04:05 PM
This goes without saying: Matt Bleeping Millen is the most annoying person on TV. I can't believe I left him off my original list.

MattBer2c
07-22-2010, 04:13 PM
I like ATH. Mariotti drives me crazy though.

Colts01
07-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Bayless/stu scott...and need more simmons...

GoBigOrGoHome
07-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Simmons is perfect in podcast land. He needs to do them more often. He has been on PTI a couple times and is just way to chatty for TV, IMO. He'd be great on the radio.

PrestigeWorldwide
07-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Really not a single vote for Chris Berman? That is shocking. If Joe Morgan did more than baseball games he'd win hands down, but since Berman does everything and quite poorly and annoyingly it has to be him. He brings absolutely nothing to the table but has a giant ego and just awful one liners and nicknames that were funny for five seconds 25 years ago. At least Skip Bayless is trying to get people to hate him, Berman is trying to be endearing and likable but is just cheesy and lame.

adamdon3
07-22-2010, 07:18 PM
1. Bayless
2. Pam Ward
3. Cowherd
4. Linda Cohn (from my wife although she is #1 all-time on my wife's list)
5. Jim Rome

giantsfan97
07-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Bayless/Rome/Berman/Paige

Wordsworth
07-22-2010, 08:47 PM
I often feel a little bad for Tom Jackson because they always stick him in as Robin to Berman's Batman, and he gets to spend 70% of the show holding a smile and nodding along while Berman "rumbles, tumbles, bumbles, stumbles" through the highlights with the same old phrases and routines. He has to listen to more Berman than anyone else in the world. That sucks for Tom.

cooke48
07-22-2010, 08:47 PM
It's Cowherd hands down. He is so full of himself and constantly contradicts himself. Mr. "I've lived everywhere" is so lame.

FessJL0861
07-22-2010, 09:04 PM
I often feel a little bad for Tom Jackson because they always stick him in as Robin to Berman's Batman, and he gets to spend 70% of the show holding a smile and nodding along while Berman "rumbles, tumbles, bumbles, stumbles" through the highlights with the same old phrases and routines. He has to listen to more Berman than anyone else in the world. That sucks for Tom.

Totally. That feeling of sorrow is because the guy genuinely has some good insight. He doesn't come off schticky and knows his football. He is underrated.

Tinindian
07-22-2010, 09:07 PM
I don't know why, I can't come up with a rational reason, but I still really like Berman. I guess it's because I really liked him in the early 80's when ESPN was new.

MattBer2c
07-22-2010, 09:19 PM
I don't know why, I can't come up with a rational reason, but I still really like Berman. I guess it's because I really liked him in the early 80's when ESPN was new.
I like him too. Me and my friends always joke about his fastest 3 minutes. But it seems pretty common for people to get bothered by him.

FessJL0861
07-22-2010, 09:25 PM
I think it was this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TLG_LtWhj4

that really turned me off on him. We have all had bad days, but wow...

thephaze
07-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Stu Scott and Skip Bayless share the title.

No contest.

cobber66
07-22-2010, 09:44 PM
In addition to a lot of the people already mentioned, how about Chris Broussard? This guy comes on Sportscenter one morning saying he thinks LeBron is going to Chicago, that afternoon says his "gut feeling" is that he's staying in Cleveland, and that night says he's pretty sure he'll end up in Miami!!!!!!!

FessJL0861
07-22-2010, 09:49 PM
In addition to a lot of the people already mentioned, how about Chris Broussard? This guy comes on Sportscenter one morning saying he thinks LeBron is going to Chicago, that afternoon says his "gut feeling" is that he's staying in Cleveland, and that night says he's pretty sure he'll end up in Miami!!!!!!!

Oh, man I forgot about him. I think they put him back on the practice squad when Lebortion signed. If Nostradamus had a brother, it would most definitely not be that guy.

Docta
07-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Stuart Scott
Jemele Hill
Rick Reilly

TheLinc
07-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Since they canned Sean Salisbury, it's Stu Scott followed closely by Jemele Hill, Mike Lupica, and Mariotti.

Apparently it's fun to hate Bayless, which I don't get. The guy sticks to his guns and he's right more often than not from when I've watched him. And that's the funny thing - he is literally on ESPN for maybe 20 minutes of screen time a day on 1st and 10. Finding him is actually a chore, so how can everyone find him such a repulsive figure?

Masochism is in.

Colts01
07-22-2010, 10:20 PM
I think it was this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TLG_LtWhj4

that really turned me off on him. We have all had bad days, but wow...

Just sayin

FessJL0861
07-22-2010, 10:30 PM
Just sayin

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/djerc7/fred_flintstone22222.jpg

That is a very spot on, yet disturbing image.

Resdog154
07-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Stuart Scott could go off the air and certainly wouldn't be missed by me.

Colts01
07-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Stu just seems to want to be hip "Tooooo" much

Resdog154
07-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Stu just seems to want to be hip "Tooooo" much

That and the fact that I can't remember a time I ever thought he made a good point or observation. Even his article in the MAG is boring.

adamdon3
07-23-2010, 12:14 AM
I forgot about Jemele Hill. She was a sportswriter in the Orlando newspaper before she was at ESPN. She wrote garbage for the paper for a long time. I remember when she started at ESPN a buddy and I were like "really?? that is the best they could do?"

BuckeyeRidley
07-23-2010, 12:35 AM
WHOA Colts!! I didn't know Chris Berman had a day like that!

I think ESPN has their unique way of Broadcasting & I do like Chris Berman. I've always thought that ESPN was the Fox News of Sports. They have their way of doing things & it happens to be that they have the TV game in their favor.

Everybody's Different!

FessJL0861
07-23-2010, 12:41 AM
WHOA Colts!! I didn't know Chris Berman had a day like that!!

That was the moment I quit liking Berman. I didnt think i could find it, but it needed to be dug up again.

Tinindian
07-23-2010, 12:56 AM
That was the moment I quit liking Berman. I didnt think i could find it, but it needed to be dug up again.

There are a few of them out there with Berman going nuts like that. Lost a lot of repect for that guy after those.

IndyColtsFan
07-23-2010, 04:10 AM
Stu Scott and Jim Rome- Cowherd also gets on my nerves occasionally but I still watch SN due to the fact that I love me some Michelle Beadle

Polishguy00
07-23-2010, 08:10 AM
It is hard to say for me. Some of these annoying people have to play a role in the organization and for many it took 20 years to get to ESPN, so it is hard to really rip on a lot of people. I don't like STEPHEN A SMITH because I found out he does talk that way all the time. Try De-Caf, will ya? Side note: How crazy is it that we have to give him the credit for the LeBron story. Never thought I would say that, but it proves the point.

Skip Bayless, let me say that I hope he is playing a character like a radio show sidekick or something. I don't get to see him much anymore, thank goodness, but I heard enough to question his intellect. I loved Berman since I was a kid, but now he can ride off into the sunset, he actually sounds tired and sick of his own gimmick. He can sit politely with his stake in ESPN and his Godfather status and be happy now.

The rumor stuff I read is that Mike Lupica, although a good writer, runs The Sports Reporters with an iron fist. A silly iron fist. So, again, he is a professional, but I cannot understand his handling (rumored) of the Jason Whitlock situation.

Other than that, it is hard to truly get critical. All of these people are professionals and many of the new ones we see now did not just go to Syracuse and learn broadcasting. They are Ivy League Alums. The guys around 15-20 years in the building, you will find plenty of Marylands (still not a bad school) and such, but the talent they tend to bring in house are crazy smart. The other roles are filled by experienced radio and TV guys and former athletes.

stranman
07-23-2010, 08:36 AM
I've stopped watching ESPN because there are so many annoying people on the air.

Pruitt
07-23-2010, 09:27 AM
In Canada, we are spared a lot of the ESPN programming. However, what I've seen of Skip Bayliss makes me think that he is some kind of parody. There's no way anyone can enjoy that guy.

But the worst - and I only know him from when I'd listen to his show on radio - is Colin Cowherd. We all know guys like him - charmless know-it-alls who like to talk a little louder than the next guy just to make sure his point gets across.

And everytime I see Jay Mariotti, I feel like sending Ozzie Guillen a fan letter.

Chompurself
07-25-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm gonna have to go with Skip Bayless, I dont think he has a real opinion on anything he just likes to argue angainst what anyone else says....

buzmeg
07-25-2010, 11:51 AM
Hands down #1 annoying person on all of sports talk is Stephen A. Smith.
ESPN person is Stuart Scott.

Colts01
07-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Hands down #1 annoying person on all of sports talk is Stephen A. Smith.
ESPN person is Stuart Scott.

Whats funny is he toned it down when on Espn,his radio show is twice as annoying,although he did call the Lebron thing way before anyone else

walzav31
07-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Wow. This has made me realize how crappy ESPN is, but I give it to Stuart Scott. His street references sound ridiculous. I can't stand him. Bayless, and Berman suck too.

BayouBoys
07-26-2010, 03:03 AM
I like ATH. Mariotti drives me crazy though.

Well that's normal, I hear players want to punch him in the face. Skip Bayless' job is to be the bad guy...seems like it's working. I hate him! haha. Did anyone say Matt Millen? Look I understand the guy has rings but seriously, he obviously can play. He obviously can't work a team. Get him outta here.

BayouBoys
07-26-2010, 03:08 AM
oh and that video does not really make me lose any respect. He actually apologized and never yelled at anyone. He was just annoyed at the situation. This happens alot...like...ALOT on tv. You just don't get to see it.

SpartaChris
07-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Is there an option to select everyone except Adam Schefter and Erin Andrews? Adam because he's a badass, and Erin because she's hot. Otherwise the whole network needs to go.

FessJL0861
07-26-2010, 07:48 PM
oh and that video does not really make me lose any respect. He actually apologized and never yelled at anyone. He was just annoyed at the situation. This happens alot...like...ALOT on tv. You just don't get to see it.

I guess I assume it was a mixed company meltdown. I can meltdown like that in front of a bunch of men contractors, but I hesitate to go that far on mixed company. I know, I know when you assume you make an .... out of you and me...

GoBigOrGoHome
07-25-2011, 12:23 PM
This is an old thread. But we have a lot of new people posting here.

Who ya got, newbies?

Skip Bayless is still the champ for me.

bluestree
07-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Hannah Storm. I hate her wardrobe.

GoBigOrGoHome
07-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Hannah Storm. I hate her wardrobe.

Bluestree is Tony Kornheiser? Hmmmm...

brauneyz
07-25-2011, 02:18 PM

Beat me to it with the Kornholio reference. Nice resurrection of an old thread.

bluestree
07-25-2011, 02:24 PM

I used to be a crusading newspaper publisher fighting for truth and justice by day, and fighting crime at night. Then the internet killed the newspaper business and with the economy and all I took the Kornheiser gig.

ReaderM
07-25-2011, 03:14 PM
Bayless First, Cowherd 2nd..Stewart Scott 3rd..Jemele Hill is by far the most annoying girl though i think Pam Ward should be arrested for crimes against sports broadcasting...Seriously,there are tons of good women broadcasters out there...she is not one of them

wxwax
07-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Skip Bayless gets my vote (even over Berman). Stephen A. Smith held the title while was there. Have at it.

Every single talking head on the chatter shows. They're awful.

On live games, it depends upon the sport.

Chris Fowler is great on college football but hard to take on tennis. He's overbearing in the tennis booth. Bad chemistry with the sport.

Mike Tirico is outstanding at college football. He's the depths of awfulness in golf because he won't shut the **** up. Yammer, yammer, yammer with arcane stats. I don't need to hear that the guy missed a similar 2-foot put eight years ago at Firestone. Shut up. It's golf.

Craig James. Enough said? Fire the creep. Instead, he's now working two games a week.

Matt Millen. ESPN is giving us a double dose every week of this guy, too. What did we do to deserve it?

I use my mute button a lot. It'll probably wear out before the year is over.

wxwax
07-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Wow, how did I forget Berman? Right up there at the top.

DaBearsFan
07-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Though many of the people that have been previously mentioned are there for very good reasons, let me add another only briefly mentioned.

Craig James is a clown and a bad college football analyst, and that was before all this Texas Tech stuff came down. He seems especially petty and full of himself. I've lost a lot of respect for him over the last few months, which was hard since I didn't have much respect for him in the first place.

Trumpetbdw
07-25-2011, 05:38 PM
So Kornheiser gets referenced, but no one has officially laid claim to him for this title? PTI was a genius show, but I haven't watched it in years thanks to that joke.

I'm not about the ESPN hate that so many seem to take on, but Kornheiser, Rick Reilly, Stephen A. Smith (who's officially back in a more regional capacity), and Bayless are at the top of my list. Jay Crawford irritates me as well anytime I accidentally turn on Cold Pizza, or whatever that show's now called. And Pam Ward is clearly out of her league. They have some excellent female analysts that help out with hoops, and a few good play by play as well, but how she essentially has become their highest profile female play by play person is beyond me.

I actually have an easier time finding people I like on the network. Ravich, Fowler, Musberger (still), Herbie, Wilbon, Dan Shulman, Sean McDonough, the underrated Brian Kenny/Jay Harris team, Van Gundy, Hershiser, the improved Monday Night team, etc. ESPN may overhype, but top to bottom, I still think they end up with the best quality of talent.

Pruitt
07-25-2011, 05:45 PM
As a Canadian, I get a lot of ESPN, but seem to be spared constant appearances in my life by some of the guys mentioned above.

I've said it before, and I enjoy saying it again, if the choice was free beers with Colin Cowherd or three hours looking at houses with an aggressive real estate agent...

I'd take the beers with Cowherd. However, that is probably the only situation whereby I'd willingly listen to him.

As a boxing fan, I really like ESPN's Friday Night Fights. Most of the time, the fights are pretty lousy, but Joe Tessatore and Teddy Atlas are great at what they do.

darvon
07-25-2011, 05:45 PM
I like LeBetard. He goes contrarian and supports it.

I don't see Skip much.

I actually like everyone. I guess I am just easy.

Pruitt
07-25-2011, 05:48 PM
I like LeBetard. He goes contrarian and supports it.

I should have mentioned LeBatard (by the way - "LeBatard" means "The Bastard in French). He is pretty much the only guy who will stake out a position that seems crazy and arbitrarily contrarian (thesaurus fail) who will then back it up with either facts or well-reasoned opinion.

darvon
07-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Except Millen, of course.

GoBigOrGoHome
07-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Except Millen, of course.

I was just getting ready to take you task for that glaring omission. :woot:

SpartaChris
07-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Berman, in a landslide. He's a huge reason why I don't watch ESPN NFL programming. He's horrible.

darvon
07-25-2011, 08:47 PM
I just love up all the ESPN talkers. They entertain me with their wit and wisdom. Just ignore all my Sports Media rants.

darvon
07-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Except Millen, of course. Always except Millen.

GoBigOrGoHome
07-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Berman, in a landslide. He's a huge reason why I don't watch ESPN NFL programming. He's horrible.

I gotta say this - it still bums me out that ESPN had to take NFL Primetime off the air on Sunday nights. I ran out of patience for Berman about a decade ago. But that show with just he & Tom Jackson was must see TV for me. I dig SNIF. But I really enjoyed the rapid fire highlight show that was Primetime. DP, Coach Dungy & Rodney Harrison do a phenomenal job. But I wish they would spend a little more time banging through highlights.

darvon
07-25-2011, 09:39 PM
I miss DP and KO.

cml
07-25-2011, 09:59 PM
I think my least favorites at this point would be Stu Scott, Berman, Reilly, Bayless, and Woody Paige - who I'm stunned to not see mentioned yet.

I must admit, I love seeing LeBatard on - I find his takes to be refreshingly unique.

packa7x
07-25-2011, 10:07 PM
I gotta say this - it still bums me out that ESPN had to take NFL Primetime off the air on Sunday nights. I ran out of patience for Berman about a decade ago. But that show with just he & Tom Jackson was must see TV for me. I dig SNIF. But I really enjoyed the rapid fire highlight show that was Primetime. DP, Coach Dungy & Rodney Harrison do a phenomenal job. But I wish they would spend a little more time banging through highlights.

Agree 100%. That show is a huge reason why I got so into football.

Trumpetbdw
07-25-2011, 10:14 PM

Agree

GoBigOrGoHome
07-25-2011, 10:16 PM
*SNIF?* God I'm a tool sometimes. Obviously, I meant FNIA.

GoBigOrGoHome
07-25-2011, 10:24 PM
What the hell ever happened to Craig Kilborn?

packa7x
07-25-2011, 11:24 PM
*SNIF?* God I'm a tool sometimes. Obviously, I meant FNIA.

I'm not a huge fan of FNIA...........of course I can't wait to see our good pal Cris on SNF :D :D <3

Hey guys, why is my nose brown???

GoBigOrGoHome
07-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Hey guys, why is my nose brown???

we'll just go ahead and call that 'The Dirty Packchez'.

packa7x
07-25-2011, 11:27 PM
we'll just go ahead and call that 'The Dirty Packchez'.

Yes. I agree :D

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/aaron-rodgers-mustache.jpg

Polishguy00
07-26-2011, 08:09 AM
What the hell ever happened to Craig Kilborn?

He tried to make The Godfather look like a douche. He has never been heard from again.

wxwax
07-26-2011, 03:18 PM

This is my problem with all the football shows.

There's an hour's worth of football in every game. But all the networks show the same 2-3 highlights from each match. There's hardly any variety. There's rarely an attempt to get a bit deeper. That -- and Berman -- are among the reasons why I gave up watching ESPN's recap show.

Everywhere you turn, it's the same scraps over and over.

wxwax
07-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Woody Paige - who I'm stunned to not see mentioned yet.

Woody Paige has been accused of plagiarism but sails on unperturbed. Their show was on when I was exercising and Paige tried to analyze the World Cup. Every -- and I mean every -- single point he made was wrong. He's an idiot.

But that's what you get when you pay people to sit in front of a camera 5 days a week to spout opinions they've not researched. Those kind of shows are crap and I just can't watch them.

GoBigOrGoHome
08-24-2011, 08:40 PM
I miss DP and KO.

I don't miss Keth Olberman one bit. Can't stand that guy.

red13
08-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Has to be Qadry Ismail for me. He doesn't show up much on NFL Live any more, but I used to turn it off if he was on. He's doing Ravens preseason games so I've had to listen to him on the NFLN replays, wow I forgot how really, really bad a broadcaster he is.

buzmeg
08-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Is there an option to select everyone except Adam Schefter and Erin Andrews? Adam because he's a badass, and Erin because she's hot. Otherwise the whole network needs to go.

I agree with you. However, the top two on my list would be Stuart Scott and Tony Kornhole (carried forward from MNF)

ScottDCP
08-24-2011, 09:13 PM
So many options...

Kornholia, S. Scott, S.A. Smith, Keyshawn Johnson, Cris Carter, Chris Berman, onceuponatime Olberman, are Mike & Mike on ESPN radio?, Jim Rome has a show there, Michael Irvin. Pick one. If it isn't Toom Jackson, Ron Jaworski, Mike Tirico, or Merrill Hoge, it's annoying.

Oh wait, just remembered. It's Mike Ditka.

darvon
08-24-2011, 09:46 PM
You guys are sooo haters.

I love them alll.

Colts01
08-24-2011, 10:05 PM
You guys are sooo haters.

I love them alll.

Love Millen's post game on MNF........

darvon
08-24-2011, 10:15 PM
The exception that proves the rule.

ZambianBillsFan
08-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Bayless and Scott. The whole Network is going to the dogs, with invented news stories, always trying to create drama when we just want live games, and legitimate sports updates.

ScottDCP
08-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Bayless...

Isn't that the guy who cooks Mexican food on PBS? I kinda like him.

wxwax
08-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Keeping the hate alive for Craig James.

packa7x
08-27-2011, 11:50 PM
I just plain don't like Suzy Kolber for absolutely no reason.

brauneyz
08-27-2011, 11:56 PM
I just plain don't like Suzy Kolber for absolutely no reason.

So, I guess it's safe to say you don't want to kiss her? :p

packa7x
08-28-2011, 01:57 AM

I never said that. She's a cougar. ;) I just don't want to listen to her prattle on about some lineman she doesn't know.

mikesteelnation1
08-28-2011, 02:47 AM
I never said that. She's a cougar. ;) I just don't want to listen to her prattle on about some lineman she doesn't know.

The most useless position on a broadcast team. Sideline reporter. All I know is omar epps, um I mean mike tomlin, stares at the sideline reporter with the most steely glare while answering the same stupid questions he knows they are going to ask. And I think the entire time he waiting for a double forearm shiver or a body slam assist from Harrison, just so he can get into the locker room ASAP..

mikesteelnation1
08-28-2011, 02:53 AM
I don't watch ESPN since the advent of the nfln. much better content, better analysis, and there's a reason they stole eisen from ESPN. still disappointed schefter sold his soul to the devil. the only thing I watch on ESPN is the Monday night game. thankfully two of my least favorites kornhole and theismann are no longer part of the broadcast. I hate theismann, even more than Joe buck. like a lot more. so peeved nfln hired theismann. but honestly I've got to say if its not cris or gruden calling the game I mute it. god I miss the days if being able to mute it so I could hear myron cope call thegame.

packa7x
08-28-2011, 03:02 AM
I just can't watch NFLN. I'm not sure why. I just feel it's way too cheesy.

Colts01
08-28-2011, 03:47 AM

Note to self-Never get drunk on national tv!

mikesteelnation1
08-28-2011, 04:06 AM
I just can't watch NFLN. I'm not sure why. I just feel it's way too cheesy.

There's a bit of a schtick to it, but that's what I grew up with. Many of the gen y people have lamented hate on Chris berman. For us gen x guys, he was a staple of our childhood and pubescent years. I always liked berman. I would still watch if he had an hour long show. Nfln incorporates a very little bit of that, with lots of back and forth ribbing on each others commentary. I love that!! It's like being back on the field with my teammates. We did the same thing during game tape episodes. I know you posted about your deprived on field football player experience, so it may be tough to envision what I'm saying.

I love that nfln is ok with not always being polished. As hard as eisen and faulk try, they can't atone for the destruction of the English language deion , sapp, and Irving purvey when thy get fired up. My favorite quote all time from any of them was when IKE Taylor destroyed the Miami qb from wvu a couple years ago, pat white. White scrambled, turned the corner and Taylor destroyed him. Clean hit. White was concussed immediately, before he hit the ground. Deion simply said" He sleep!!! Ooooo.. he sleep..." still makes me laugh to this day.

packa7x
08-28-2011, 04:45 AM
Berman is one of the biggest reasons why I became such a big football fan. I remember 2001 getting home on Monday and throwing on NFL Primetime. I would loveeeee his dumb jokes. I'm a sucker for humor like that. I think it's my subconscious telling me to stay away because they use CBS colors. Haha. To me ESPN/FOX come off as a bunch of guys hanging out talking ball. NFLN/CBS is a bunch of guys who sorta know what they're talking about talking ball. I will say, however, Rich Eisen is by far the best guy on any of those channels. The dude is just a great on the air presence. I must also note that this is strictly with the pre game shows. NFLN puts out some truly great programs. I LOVE playbook.

GoBigOrGoHome
09-07-2011, 02:16 PM
OK. This Trevor Matich guy is a tool. Must uninsightful football analyst on television.

And the NHL should have Barry Melrose bronzed. That guy is the best ambassador that sport will ever have.

packa7x
09-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Never saw this guy (don't watch much ESPN aside from game day) what is he doing poorly?

Curtis
09-07-2011, 03:28 PM
I watch Total Access and a few other shows on NFLN, I generally stay away from ESPN because it is so biased. I will watch NFL countdown if The Tuna is on there though, I like Bill alot. The only guy I really can't stand is Heath Evans on NFLN. He gets all pumped up like he is doing a wrestling promo (I am a retired 18 year vet pro wrestler, Heath would make a pretty good heel), I'm expecting Rich Eisen to hit him with a chair.

Edited to add Gangsta Stuart Scott, that dude is a serious phony.

GoBigOrGoHome
10-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Just flipping through the channels and came across First Take with both Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless on set together. Good googolymoogoly. My head almost exploded. There must be people out there who actually enjoy that crap or it would not be on the air. I am proud to say I am not one of them.

wxwax
10-19-2011, 02:34 PM
I am a retired 18 year vet pro wrestlerNo kidding? That's great.

wxwax
10-19-2011, 02:36 PM
My heart sank this week.

That turd John Gruden signed a 5 year deal with ESPN. The MNF booth seems to be getting weaker and weaker in terms of analysis. Lame yucks.

The gold standard right now is Michaels and Collinsworth on Sunday Night.

Pruitt
10-19-2011, 03:06 PM
My heart sank this week.

That turd John Gruden signed a 5 year deal with ESPN. The MNF booth seems to be getting weaker and weaker in terms of analysis. Lame yucks.

THAT GUY makes my bile rise. While I find Tirico inoffensive, Gruden and "JAWS" are terrible.

Jaworski should listen to the BS Report with Al Michaels. Michaels makes a great point that colour guys should not spend their on air time showing off their knowledge.

packa7x
10-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Eh I like Gruden. He has good enthusiasm. Sure he does have a man crush on everyone, but it's interesting to hear what he has to say at times. I do have to say he and Jaws have too similar of a voice--kinda like Buck and Aikman--that makes them hard to decipher. I think ESPN needs to do a better job of diversifying the voices of their commentators. Tirico does a fine job of e play by play, but either Jaws or Gruden (JAWS!! GET RID OF JAWS!!) need to go and someone else needs to get in there.

wxwax
10-19-2011, 04:05 PM
THAT GUY makes my bile rise. While I find Tirico inoffensive, Gruden and "JAWS" are terrible.

Jaworski should listen to the BS Report with Al Michaels. Michaels makes a great point that colour guys should not spend their on air time showing off their knowledge.

Somewhere along the line Jaws' enthusiasm transformed into a noise machine. I used to like him. Now he spouts Dan Dierdorf-like platitudes, only he does it at top volume. Like so many jocks on TV, the longer he has the job, the more his penetrating insight vanishes, to be replaced by the same old crap everyone else says. I wonder why that happens?

DannyMilk
10-20-2011, 07:03 AM
I think Bayless, while often just purely misguided, plays devils advocate on purpose sometimes...Berman, on the other hand.........

Pruitt
10-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Somewhere along the line Jaws' enthusiasm transformed into a noise machine. I used to like him. Now he spouts Dan Dierdorf-like platitudes, only he does it at top volume. Like so many jocks on TV, the longer he has the job, the more his penetrating insight vanishes, to be replaced by the same old crap everyone else says. I wonder why that happens?

I wonder why ESPN believes they need a 3 man booth? Is it to make MNF seem like more of an "event?" than any other game? Do we really need two analysts to explain to us how Matt Moore sucks?

I think the fact that Gruden - while an annoyance to me - can explain what is going on after each play forces Jaworski to reach deep into his bag of research to throw out his tidbits that sometimes seem to come out of the blue.

packa7x
10-20-2011, 03:23 PM
I wonder why ESPN believes they need a 3 man booth? Is it to make MNF seem like more of an "event?" than any other game? Do we really need two analysts to explain to us how Matt Moore sucks?

I think the fact that Gruden - while an annoyance to me - can explain what is going on after each play forces Jaworski to reach deep into his bag of research to throw out his tidbits that sometimes seem to come out of the blue.

You know, I never even thought about that. That must be what I hate so much about that Broadcast.

wxwax
10-20-2011, 05:07 PM
I wonder why ESPN believes they need a 3 man booth? Is it to make MNF seem like more of an "event?" than any other game?

That's the only reason I can think of. The ghost of Howard Cosell has haunted NFL booths for decades. He was one of a kind, but they still keep trying to replicate him.

It's never, ever worked.

GoBigOrGoHome
05-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Good freaking lord Stephen A. Smith is annoying.

GoBigOrGoHome
05-25-2012, 03:51 PM
SAS was avoidable when they left him on the set of First Take to shout with Bayless. Lately the WWL has been running him out on SportsCenter. I would rather have my ears invaded by army ants than listen to that dude.

Pruitt
05-25-2012, 04:27 PM
I am lucky to live in a country that is largely free of Steven A. Smith.

But Colin Cowherd's radio show is still available as is his daily atrocity "Sportsnation."

True to form, Cowherd is still making things up: http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2012-articles/may/is-colin-cowherd-making-up-his-vegas-overunder-numbers.html

wxwax
06-01-2012, 07:09 PM
SportsNation did a very creative send-off for Michelle Beadle today. Very nice work. I won't spoil it for anyone who wants to catch a rerun later tonight. But they did a good job of mixing nostalgia with humor. Handled with grace.

Cowherd is off the show at the end of the year. The show has a nice format, but I believe a lot of its success rested on Beadle's engaging personality. I wonder if it can survive her departure?

GoPackers34
06-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Colin Cowherd has LeBron's (and the rest of the Heat's players') wang(s) in his throat, so does SAS. I don't think any of the NBA analysts are very smart. I do like Barry Melrose and Hugh Douglas for the NHL and NFL though.
As far women, I can't stand Sara Walsh. She looks so fake on TV. I like Lindsey Czarniak (sp) though. Seems cool.

Curtis
06-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Colin Cowherd has LeBron's (and the rest of the Heat's players') wang(s) in his throat, so does SAS.

HAHA! I almost peed myself due to laughter. ESPN has it's darlings, Lebron, Steelers, Tiger, Tebow, etc. They can kiss all the Heat ass they want, it won't matter on the end, OKC is a better team and will win in 6.

buzmeg
06-12-2012, 08:13 PM
HAHA! I almost peed myself due to laughter. ESPN has it's darlings, Lebron, Steelers, Tiger, Tebow, etc. They can kiss all the Heat ass they want, it won't matter on the end, OKC is a better team and will win in 6.

I would love to see an OKC sweep.

GoBigOrGoHome
06-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Skip Bayless: "The "A" in Stephen A stands for asinine, asi-ten and asi-eleven!"

Now if Fail were like diamonds, old Skip would be "Flawless". But that line made me chuckle.

wxwax
06-12-2012, 09:49 PM
In the gym this evening we had ESPN Sportscenter on one channel and NBC Sportstalk on the other.

ESPN: No Stanley Cup hockey for the first half hour. All NBA Finals.
NBC: No NBA Finals for the first half hour. Stanley Cup, baseball? Sure. Basketball? Nope.

To state the obvious, these aren't sports-news shows. They're promotional vehicles for their respective networks.

wxwax
06-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Whenever I think I've lived a moral life, ESPN assigns Chris Berman to golf and I know that God hates me.

GoBigOrGoHome
06-14-2012, 09:23 PM
^This when Scott Van Pelt was seemingly born to broadcast studio golf shows. He & Andy North are great together. Berman & Mudd? Eh, not so much.

darvon
06-15-2012, 09:40 AM
you people are such haters.

I like cowherd. Occasionally he brings a clear business analysis to things which others seldom do.
I leik Berman. I like SAS. Bayless not so much, but I just steaer clear.
I like Suzy and really liked we she was point guard on NFL Edge.
I really loved when SNF used to have Big Show 2.0 on.
I love the Heat and really am suprised the people villify someone for two Press conferences. I understand that its fun to have teams and players to root against, but the venom and explainations of it are unreal.
Probably the only person I am "rooting against" on ESPN is their #1 legal guy Roger Caussack. For the longest time he was asked legal questions and gave sports fan answers. I am glad when they brought in Lester Munson and now I think Lester is #1 legal guy.

I also have a problem with Linda Cohn, but that's personal between just us two and I don't want to get into it here.

FrzzerBwler
06-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Funny wax, golf is the only time I can stand Berman. Though it is also the only time I listen to him anymore, so maybe that is why.
Whenever I think I've lived a moral life, ESPN assigns Chris Berman to golf and I know that God hates me.

FrzzerBwler
06-15-2012, 10:11 AM
We're all friends darvon. I'm guessing "it's the toes, gotta be the toes, it's the toes, gotta be the toes"
QUOTE=darvon;108850]I also have a problem with Linda Cohn, but that's personal between just us two and I don't want to get into it here.[/QUOTE]

wxwax
06-15-2012, 01:12 PM
Funny wax, golf is the only time I can stand Berman. Though it is also the only time I listen to him anymore, so maybe that is why.

I hear Berman's voice, and I see his swamp butt. I feel soiled.

http://cdn.wl.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/berman_678.jpg

wxwax
06-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Fixed.

{
you people are such haters.

I like cowherd. Occasionally he brings a clear business analysis to things which others seldom do.
I leik Berman. I like SAS. Bayless not so much, but I just steaer clear.
I like Suzy and really liked we she was point guard on NFL Edge.
I really loved when SNF used to have Big Show 2.0 on.
I love the Heat and really am suprised the people villify someone for two Press conferences. I understand that its fun to have teams and players to root against, but the venom and explainations of it are unreal.
Probably the only person I am "rooting against" on ESPN is their #1 legal guy Roger Caussack. For the longest time he was asked legal questions and gave sports fan answers. I am glad when they brought in Lester Munson and now I think Lester is #1 legal guy.

I also have a problem with Linda Cohn, but that's personal between just us two and I don't want to get into it here.}

FrzzerBwler
06-15-2012, 02:08 PM
Guess this means no Depends spots er commercials for Berman
I hear Berman's voice, and I see his swamp butt. I feel soiled

http://cdn.wl.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/berman_678.jpg

Polishguy00
06-15-2012, 02:24 PM
I need to stop checking this thread during lunch.

As a kid, I loved Berman.

As an adult, Berman has gotten old in every way. He comes out every two months and does something kind of big and now just garbles his way through it. I know he used to be better than this, but the present is really erasing the past for me. Berman should play golf in his wet pants and swim in his money. This is Joe Namath on the Rams territory.

wxwax
06-26-2012, 01:20 AM
Congratulations, ESPN.

You finally found a way to make Chris Fowler sound like a decent tennis commentator.

How? You assigned some matches to Mike Tirico.

wxwax
06-26-2012, 01:33 AM
Oh. And this.

Opening week, two Monday Night Football games. Who gets the mic in game 2?

Chris Berman. Swamp Butt. Run for the hills.

wxwax
01-18-2013, 07:17 PM
I'm very much not a fan of Stuart Scott. I change the channel or mute when he's on camera.

But man, I hate to hear this (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20130116/stuart-scott-cancer-espn-anchor.ap/?sct=obnetwork). His cancer has appeared for the third time. Last time he fought it, he looked just awful on air. Gaunt, obviously suffering.

I hope the guy survives again. Good luck, man.

KabaModernFan
01-18-2013, 07:52 PM
Awful news. Thoughts and prayers go out to him, hope he can beat it again.

Curtis
01-18-2013, 10:01 PM
I don't like Stuart's on-screen crap but I definitely hope he gets well.

Patrick Sullivan
11-11-2013, 09:11 PM
So there is always this. The Onion opines on ESPN programming (NSFW)

http://tinyurl.com/m25ujvn (http://www.theonion.com/articles/espn-searching-for-a-few-loudmouthed-****s-for-new,34520/)

Patrick Sullivan
11-11-2013, 09:13 PM
Wait a second.

Did I just hear Keyshwan Johnson sound somewhat intelligent?

Landmark moments are few & far between, people. Enjoy this one.

{}

Patrick Sullivan
11-12-2013, 09:42 AM
So there is always this. The Onion opines on ESPN programming (NSFW)

http://tinyurl.com/m25ujvn (http://www.theonion.com/articles/espn-searching-for-a-few-loudmouthed-****s-for-new,34520/)

URL fixed

wxwax
11-12-2013, 03:19 PM
I don't like Stuart's on-screen crap but I definitely hope he gets well.

Stuart Scott made his return to TV last night, as gaunt as he was the last time he fought his cancer. I'm not a fan of his style, but good golly this man's a fighter. I wish him the very best.

ps Is it just me or did we see more than the normal amount of Veterans Day ceremonies on TV this last week?

Patrick Sullivan
04-19-2015, 01:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0q4oibfs9g

GoBigOrGoHome
04-24-2016, 03:07 PM
Watching The Sports Reporters right now. Mike Lupica looks taller. ESPN must have given him a couple extra phone books to sit on this week.

God, but that man is an asshat.

Rich Gapinski
04-25-2016, 03:17 PM
Watching The Sports Reporters right now. Mike Lupica looks taller. ESPN must have given him a couple extra phone books to sit on this week.

God, but that man is an asshat.

Lupica is the worst kind of bad dude. He has made a decent amount of money writing children's books while being the hatchet man behind the downfall of some careers in the sports world. One of the few remaining Corleones left in the biz.

hobbes27
04-25-2016, 05:25 PM
Lupica is the worst kind of bad dude. He has made a decent amount of money writing children's books while being the hatchet man behind the downfall of some careers in the sports world. One of the few remaining Corleones left in the biz.

He's up there as the most annoying sports guy on tv. He is the stereotypical annoying New Yorker.

Jason_NC
05-26-2016, 01:57 PM
Tie between Berman, Cowherd, and Stephen A Smith.