PDA

View Full Version : NFL sideline reporters

Colts01
07-23-2010, 12:39 AM
Maybe its just me but Ive never been a big fan of sideline reporters,I get that some of them are very well informed and all but Ive never really thought its added anything to a broadcast.I even cringe when right at halftime they go to the sideline reporter who asks the coach in the lead,"what do you have to do to keep it up"?...or to the coach that is losing"what do you have to do to turn it around"? I guess its good that these folks are working their way up the broadcast ladder etc.But My question to the forum is
Do sideline reporters actually add anything to the broadcast?

msclemons
07-23-2010, 12:42 AM
I'm not a fan of the sideline reporters either. I just don't think that during a game players and coaches are going to give insightful comments to reporters. They're too focused on the game.

However, watching a drunk Joe Namath hit on that sideline reporter almost made up for 20 years of inane sideline comments.

Colts01
07-23-2010, 12:44 AM
However, watching a drunk Joe Namath hit on that sideline reporter almost made up for 20 years of inane sideline comments.

my very thoughts! It reached a level on the unintentional comedy scale that has yet to be surpassed on NFL broadcasts

Resdog154
07-23-2010, 12:50 AM
watching a drunk Joe Namath hit on that sideline reporter almost made up for 20 years of inane sideline comments.

First thing I thought of when I saw the topic of the post. It is honestly the only memory I have from sideline reporting. NFL broadcasting at its best is one play by play announcer and one color commentator - everything else is fluff.

bluestree
07-23-2010, 12:50 AM
Two words for you clowns....Bonnie Bernstein.........I rest my case. I once heard her say "coach, what do you have to do to keep it up" and I made a little Garrison Hearst on myself.

GoBigOrGoHome
07-23-2010, 12:56 AM
The only sideline reporter I ever found insightful was Lynn Swann. Bonnie Bernstein & Erin Andrews make for some nice eye-candy during a game. Tony Siragusa was funny the first couple years, but that got stale real quick.

KabaModernFan
07-23-2010, 12:59 AM

This. It has to be the most uncomfortable moment of Suzy Kolber's entire career, which of course made it absolutely hilarious to everyone watching. Including myself.

bluestree
07-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Couple of times on Monday night I could have swore Swannee tipped a few.

GoBigOrGoHome
07-23-2010, 01:11 AM
He's sort of dumbed it down in the past few years. He was great back in the 90s doing college and pro ball.

DannyMilk
07-23-2010, 01:52 AM
2 things...one, I think it's good if you have Siragusa, and the game is excruciating to watch, ya know? It makes it a little better.

And the halftime 38 second "interviews" with players and coaches heading into the locker room NEEDS to stop. We know the answers, we don't need it...only way I'd like it is if someone went up to, say, Rex Ryan after the 2nd quarter, and the Jets were down 31-3, and the sideline reporter just said, "You know you guys are pretty much done, yes?" and Rex just punched him...that would work.

Polishguy00
07-23-2010, 06:59 AM
No sideline reporter is necessary except for one reason. Injury reports. That's it. Even change the name of the person to Injury Update Dude or Dudette. The terrible questions that provide nothing at all annoy me to no end. Yeah, running off the field, the coach is gonna tell the lady in the expensive outfit holding a mic about the adjustment he just saw that he going to talk about in the locker room for two minutes before coming back onto the field.

stranman
07-23-2010, 07:34 AM
Sideline reporters detract from the game. Especially those min-interviews at the end or beginning of the half.

Pruitt
07-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Sideline reporters serve no purpose whatsoever.

Andy Freeland
07-23-2010, 11:10 AM
And the halftime 38 second "interviews" with players and coaches heading into the locker room NEEDS to stop.

"Coach, you're down 73-0 and you're starting quarterback just had his left leg amputated, what are you going to do differently in the 2nd half?"

brauneyz
07-23-2010, 11:14 AM
"Coach, you're down 73-0 and you're starting quarterback just had his left leg amputated, what are you going to do differently in the 2nd half?"

Same pat answer they always give. Stop the run and control turnovers.

KevinG
07-23-2010, 11:25 AM
I just googled Namath's sideline interview, too funny :)

DannyMilk
07-23-2010, 11:36 AM

"Left leg or not, we just need to play better." Always the answer, no matter what sport, here in Chicago. Halftime interview or postgame interview, we just always have to play better haha.

Andy Freeland
07-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Am I the only one that thinks of the great 'let's work on your interviews' scene from Bull Durham every time I hear coach speak?

DannyMilk
07-23-2010, 11:43 AM
haha never seen it...but since you mentioned it, I will see if it's on soon (getting my new DirecTV installed as we speak!)

Polishguy00
07-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Am I the only one that thinks of the great 'let's work on your interviews' scene from Bull Durham every time I hear coach speak?

This is one of the thoughts I have. The others are represented but the characters you have to use the shift button to see above the numbers on a keyboard. This thing is why it is refreshing to hear honest guys. The only problem is that the over-saturation of EVERYTHING always makes these guys pay for the times they are honest and say something remotely funny or controversial, so they have to go back to the manual of How to Say Words That Never Actually Say Anything Except for the Obvious...written by Tim McCarver....

I could not be a coach. I would hate that inane crap. I would probably go off like Will Ferrell during a Neil Diamond "Storytellers" skit, "Well, Bonnie, I am not going to air our half time adjustments to you, but I do know there was this time that me and Turk did some dynamite pills after a Dead concert at the Forum and I think we hit a kid on his bike. We did not stop the vehicle. I still look at the paper every morning."

tico887
07-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Sounds fairly unanimous here. I'm not a fan of sideline reporters either. Do you think it was one of those sideline interviews that permanently etched that scowl on Bill Belachik's face. All this time I just thought it was the time he spent in Cleveland.

imiweli
07-24-2010, 03:10 AM
Erin Andrews and Alex Flanagan aint bad ;)

DM138385
07-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Yea , I agree with the majority don't think they add much to the broadcast of a game.

Colts01
07-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Sounds fairly unanimous here. I'm not a fan of sideline reporters either. Do you think it was one of those sideline interviews that permanently etched that scowl on Bill Belachik's face. All this time I just thought it was the time he spent in Cleveland.

he is one of the worst interviews ever no doubt,but alot of people say hes really a funny guy,c'mon Bill give us a crumb every now n then!

BayouBoys
07-26-2010, 04:39 AM
he is one of the worst interviews ever no doubt,but alot of people say hes really a funny guy,c'mon Bill give us a crumb every now n then!

He's really funny when it's time to be funny. During game time is generally not the time to be funny. Business time!

I want Charles Barkley to be a side line reporter.

SpartaChris
07-26-2010, 11:13 PM
I just like the eye candy provided by some of the females. Could care less what any of the sideline reporters have to say.

BuckeyeRidley
07-26-2010, 11:21 PM
I'm a Big Fan of sideline reporters & vy to be one!!! Remember when "The Insiders" own Pat O'Brien was one for CBS?

I LOVE that job & respect & look-up to Andrea Kremer, Michele Tafoya & the Lovely & Talented Pam Oliver. Those ladies know what they are doing.

The job is necessary for injury news including what the player is doing to rehab with the trainers (good for fantasy football), In game/voice only sideline analysis during the game (player chemistry & what players say to each other to get clarity or try to correct bad plays) and they do have good interviews with coaches and players which further markets them off the field and helps make the NFL more popular (McNabb/Campbell's Soup era, Peyton for Sony & MasterCard).

OverTheTop
07-27-2010, 12:18 AM
For Msclemons, Colts01, KabaModernFan, and anyone who would like to relive Broadway Joe and Suzy Kolber at their finest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQqIQyT-RuM

Colts01
07-27-2010, 12:21 AM
hahaha,,,I cringe everytime I see Joe get that "shes lookin pretty good" look on his face,but like an epic car crash,I cant look away!

msclemons
07-27-2010, 12:21 AM
For Msclemons, Colts01, KabaModernFan, and anyone who would like to relive Broadway Joe and Suzy Kolber at their finest.

Oh hell yeah. My goodness, he's more drunk than I remembered.

Colts01
07-27-2010, 12:23 AM
Its a good thing he wasnt being interviewed by the "goose"!

msclemons
07-27-2010, 12:30 AM
Its a good thing he wasnt being interviewed by the "goose"!

"Aw Tony, I don't care about the game, I just wanna kiss you!"

BuckeyeRidley
07-14-2011, 11:20 PM
I think Ladies like Andrea Kremer, Michele Tafoya and Suzy Kolber do a Great Job of being informed and asking Good Questions that are not of the norm. They are not "just on the sideline". They add to the game with stories about troubles with making plays, injuries that persisted but how the player overcame and Andrea Kremer did a Good Job of telling the audience the backstory on how Devin Hester planned the record return FG Miss of the Giants' in 2006 on Al Michaels' B-Day. She said the strategy right after it happened.

I think sideline reporters are needed and can give Good Information during garbage time and get player interviews that are helpful to fans who wanna hear straight from them. I prefer sideline reporters like NBC does it compared to CBS' way of no sideline reporters.

Colts01
07-14-2011, 11:27 PM
Good point Buckeye but id much rather have Cris dissect a play or just cut up with Al then to hear a sideline reporter ask a coach,"what do you have to do to play better in the second half etc etc.

BuckeyeRidley
07-14-2011, 11:42 PM
Good point Buckeye but id much rather have Cris dissect a play or just cut up with Al then to hear a sideline reporter ask a coach,"what do you have to do to play better in the second half etc etc.

Sup Colts; Good to see you again Man. Good Point. I think its all in who is the sideline reporter as that makes all the difference. I feel folks like Michele will skip that as folks like Fred Gaudelli and Drew Esocoff will work with them to steer clear of that.

GoBigOrGoHome
07-15-2011, 12:04 AM
Sup Colts; Good to see you again Man. Good Point. I think its all in who is the sideline reporter as that makes all the difference. I feel folks like Michele will skip that as folks like Fred Gaudelli and Drew Esocoff will work with them to steer clear of that.

The only viable use for a sideline reporter is if his/her work can produce off-color comedy gold like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvrRvUYRdD8

BuckeyeRidley
07-15-2011, 12:19 AM
The only viable use for a sideline reporter is if his/her work can produce off-color comedy gold like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvrRvUYRdD8

LOL Glad you're talkin it up GoBig. Those moments are certainly entertaining. Michele Tafoya mushing through the crowd and grabbing the shoulder of Andrew Luck was a Good Moment too. I liked seeing her assertiveness.

ReaderM
07-15-2011, 12:54 AM

Yea, and it's also how the network decides to use them.. as either a piece of eye candy or actually conduit of information. Personally, i'm not a fan of sideline reporters as I feel most of the times they do more to distract from the broadcast. They do have there usefulness in times of detailing injury reports and getting quick reaction after a certain sequence of important actions before or after game but to many times it seems the Networks throw it to them as a mean of trying to get them involve in the broadcast for unimportant stuff as a means to justify their position .

Pruitt
07-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Sadly, sideline reporters have become part of just abut every broadcast. Back in the old days, information was sent up to the booth by either a staff member of the team or an unphotogenic member of the broadcast crew. So instead of seeing and hearing Tony Siragusa or Suzi Kolber say that - for example - Ray Rice has tweaked his knee and may be back for the second half, you'd hear the play by play guy mention it.

As reverting to this style of broadcast would eliminate Tony Siragusa and Suzi Kolber from my Sundays... I'd be all for it.

Dave Lapham
07-15-2011, 09:00 AM
If sideline reporters had better access to the bench area they could pass on some good information from exchanges with players and coaches, but they don't. It can be helpful to get quick info about swirling winds or some kind of impact weather can have from someone on the field. Access to getting accurate injury information quickly can be helpful at times as well. "Goose" can add to the entertainment value with his humor at times, but most of the sideline show is fluff.

FrzzerBwler
07-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Other than train wreck comedy sideline reporters have no purpose or compelling reason to watch.
And the train wrecks are rare and too far inbetween.

Pruitt
07-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Other than train wreck comedy sideline reporters have no purpose or compelling reason to watch.
And the train wrecks are rare and too far inbetween.

Leave Eric Dickerson alone!

packa7x
07-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Gee Suzy, you're so prettttty.

BuckeyeRidley
07-16-2011, 02:05 AM
If sideline reporters had better access to the bench area they could pass on some good information from exchanges with players and coaches, but they don't. It can be helpful to get quick info about swirling winds or some kind of impact weather can have from someone on the field. Access to getting accurate injury information quickly can be helpful at times as well. "Goose" can add to the entertainment value with his humor at times, but most of the sideline show is fluff.

Good Point Dave; However & Politely, I recall that Andrea Kremer has done that. Like the game in OAK when they got nothing going and Lamont Jordan fumbled in the Red Zone. What happened in that Game was Randy Moss took and knee and according to Andrea Kremer "said some unflattering things about his Quarterback" (Andrew Walter at the time). My Kind Point is Depending on the Sideline reporter working the broadcast, we'll get info from the sideline or locker room from halftime.