PDA

View Full Version : ESPN 30 for 30

Pruitt
07-23-2010, 09:22 AM
I've seen a number of these, and they range from the great to the unwatchable.

Last night, I watched "The Two Escobars" about the rise of Colombian soccer in the 80's and 90's. Even if you don't like soccer, I recommend this film. The story it tells is unbelievable and it is told unbelievably well.

After watching the film, I felt like dropping to my knees and thanking God that I live in Canada.

adamdon3
07-23-2010, 10:39 AM
I have that one on my Tivo. My favorite was the one on the "U" but I'm very biased.

Kosar19
07-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Funny, I was just going to say "U" was nearly unwatchable. My favorite has been the "June 17, 1994". Overall, th eseries has been very good.

Resdog154
07-23-2010, 11:49 AM
When I first heard of the project, I was a bit leary as to the quality of these programs.
I have to give ESPN a lot of credit for investing the money by bringing in top notch directors and the time by not just rushing everything and rolling them out 30 weeks in a row.
The Two Escobars was unbelievable; Miller Time was a lot of fun; I really liked the USFL documentary - I had forgotten how much talent was in that league before it folded.

hassan812
07-23-2010, 12:32 PM
The 30 for 30 series is one of the best things espn has done in a while. My favorites were the Two Escobars and the Allen Iverson one. Also, cant wait for the one about the 2004 Red Sox one. Of all the ones I've seen, none have been bad.

qzx00
07-23-2010, 12:35 PM
The 30 for 30 series is one of the best things espn has done in a while. My favorites were the Two Escobars and the Allen Iverson one. Also, cant wait for the one about the 2004 Red Sox one. Of all the ones I've seen, none have been bad.

I agree - I have seen almost all and while some have been better than others, not a single one was bad in my opinion. The Two Escobars and June 17, 1994 were my favorites - I also enjoyed the Reggie Miller vs Knicks was good too.

GoBigOrGoHome
07-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Run Ricky, Run was good as well.

OverTheTop
07-23-2010, 02:34 PM
My favorite so far was "The U". The part when Highsmith, Jamaal Brown and the others called the hotel that Bozworth and his Oklahoma teammates were staying at to give them a special wakeup call at 5am on gameday made me laugh for awhile. Lots of stories like that sort of took the bad boy image of the team during the 80's to being an image of humor and fun. Some of the TD and big play celebrations also created pretty good laughs and entertainment. No mistake about it though, some of those teams were definitely badder than a motorcycle gang as Dan LeBetard, the Miami Herald journalist, put it during the show.

KabaModernFan
07-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Well I love Bill Simmons so I'm required to love 30 for 30 by relation, but I would've loved the series anyway. My favorites have been "The U", "No Crossover", "June 17, 1994", and "Without Bias" (my personal favorite), but I've enjoyed every one of them so far. The only one I haven't seen is the one about the birth of fantasy baseball, but only because I can't stand baseball and think we should somehow trade it to Canada for ice hockey. I don't think that's possible though, so I'm content with pretending it doesn't exist. *Whistles like someone who isn't crazy*

adamdon3
07-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Can't we just rub a lamp and ask the genie to make baseball disappear?

Pattrick
07-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Funny, I was just going to say "U" was nearly unwatchable.

Completely agree

Pattrick
07-23-2010, 07:23 PM
Can't we just rub a lamp and ask the genie to make baseball disappear?

Not a fan of MLB, huh? There are actually some really great story lines in baseball this year. Baseball is nowhere near as entertaining as Football, not even in the same universe but still, you should give it a chance.

Colts01
07-23-2010, 07:23 PM
still liked the usfl one best,but the Hank Gathers one was well made as well

Pattrick
07-23-2010, 07:25 PM
I've seen a number of these, and they range from the great to the unwatchable.

Last night, I watched "The Two Escobars" about the rise of Colombian soccer in the 80's and 90's. Even if you don't like soccer, I recommend this film. The story it tells is unbelievable and it is told unbelievably well.

After watching the film, I felt like dropping to my knees and thanking God that I live in Canada.

There was a thread where a bunch of us already talked about the 30 for 30 films. It wasn't bad, maybe someone can link it to this one to add to the conversation?

Colts01
07-23-2010, 07:37 PM
yup here ya go
http://footballproslive.com/showthread.php/359-The-USFL

Docta
07-23-2010, 09:41 PM
I've only watched "Without Bias." I might take some time to watch some of the others though.

msclemons
07-23-2010, 10:58 PM
Not a fan of MLB, huh? There are actually some really great story lines in baseball this year. Baseball is nowhere near as entertaining as Football, not even in the same universe but still, you should give it a chance.

I agree. Individual baseball games can be a bit boring, but the story of the season is usually really interesting.

Docta
07-23-2010, 11:13 PM
It really isn't that boring. You just have to be patient with some players, and maybe even play some fantasy baseball. And would you rather see a walk-off homer, or a game-winning 2 yard TD?

I'm saying all that as a Cubs fan. :cringes:

Pattrick
07-24-2010, 01:16 AM
It really isn't that boring. You just have to be patient with some players, and maybe even play some fantasy baseball. And would you rather see a walk-off homer, or a game-winning 2 yard TD?

Lifelong Yankees fan here... sorry about your Cubs season. I was really excited when rumors came up about Lou Pinella coaching the Yankees a few years ago. I was pretty bummed when he signed on to coach the Cubs. I really thought he had what it took to turn around that franchise and take them deep into the playoffs. I was wrong, along with A LOT of analysts. But I'm really sorry for the way the Cubs season has gone. The fans deserve a lot more than that. Cubs fans are some of the best in sports.

msclemons
07-24-2010, 01:16 AM
I strongly considered joining some fantasy baseball leagues this year to see if that would heighten my interest in MLB. However, I still haven't forgiven baseball for the 1994 strike so I support the MLB as little as possible.

Yes, I know it's petty but I am what I am. /popeye

Docta
07-24-2010, 04:02 AM
Lifelong Yankees fan here... sorry about your Cubs season. I was really excited when rumors came up about Lou Pinella coaching the Yankees a few years ago. I was pretty bummed when he signed on to coach the Cubs. I really thought he had what it took to turn around that franchise and take them deep into the playoffs. I was wrong, along with A LOT of analysts. But I'm really sorry for the way the Cubs season has gone. The fans deserve a lot more than that. Cubs fans are some of the best in sports.
Since he's announced his retirement, the team has been on a run. It's the best they've played all year, but the Reds and Cards are still on top, and I don't see them going on a slump anytime soon. But of course, there's always next year. :) :(

Pattrick
07-24-2010, 09:05 AM
I strongly considered joining some fantasy baseball leagues this year to see if that would heighten my interest in MLB. However, I still haven't forgiven baseball for the 1994 strike so I support the MLB as little as possible.

I joined a fantasy baseball league. For a month. It was too time consuming for me and my brother in-law is a dick.

Tinindian
07-24-2010, 10:24 AM

Not Petty at all. I was a bigger baseball fan than football fan till then and I was always a huge football fan. I have probably watched less than 5 games since that strike. It proved to me that that pile of excrement known as the MLBPA cared less about the game and more for their own greed. At that time the players were making an average of a million per year and it wasn't enough. Football players were far under that number at the time and there is considerably more long term physical risk in football.

Baseball is dead to me and will remain so.

adamdon3
07-24-2010, 12:22 PM

I'd rather watch a 2 yard loss than a walk off homer. Because if I see the walk-off homer I probably watched 3.5 hours of baseball to get there. My biggest gripes with baseball are: the season is too long and the games are too long. I used to like baseball, I used to like fantasy baseball, but the more I got into the football the more I hated baseball.

DannyMilk
07-24-2010, 03:02 PM
Was the Gretzky one the first one? Cuz that seemed like it was 4 years ago. And thanks for finally mentioning the Gathers one Colts01...good WGN made for TV movie back in the day on it as well

Colts01
07-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Was the Gretzky one the first one? Cuz that seemed like it was 4 years ago. And thanks for finally mentioning the Gathers one Colts01...good WGN made for TV movie back in the day on it as well

has anyone made a good film about Harry Carey yet,seems like it could be an interesting Bio pic

DM138385
07-24-2010, 08:15 PM
Run Ricky, Run was good as well.

Yea that one was good, Ricky has had one of the better "comebacks" in the NFL .

TheLinc
07-25-2010, 12:38 AM
"The U". They could've stopped after that ;)

DannyMilk
07-25-2010, 01:30 AM
has anyone made a good film about Harry Carey yet,seems like it could be an interesting Bio pic

I am unsure...I've seen a couple docs on Caray, but other than that not sure. I'd love to see a made for TV movie on Spike or TBS starring Jim Belushi as Caray, not because it would be good, but because he is so bad at acting, and trying to be funny, it may portray Harry's life more aptly and accurately than Harry himself lived it.

thephaze
07-25-2010, 06:18 PM
I have liked all of the 30-30s.

Some are 'must see' and others are good to watch if you're bored, but all are really well done.

The top 5 on my list every sports fan should sit down and watch.

I rank em:
Winning Time (Reggie Miller)
Without Bias
The U
2 Escobars
Straight outta LA
June 17th, 1994
Run Ricky Run
No Cross-Over (Allen Iverson)
Kings Ransom
Small Potatoes (USFL)
Guru of Go
Muhammad and Larry
Jimmy the Greek
Silly Little Game

THoughts?

DannyMilk
07-26-2010, 01:40 AM
I have liked all of the 30-30s.

Some are 'must see' and others are good to watch if you're bored, but all are really well done.

The top 5 on my list every sports fan should sit down and watch.

I rank em:
Winning Time (Reggie Miller)
Without Bias
The U
2 Escobars
Straight outta LA
June 17th, 1994
Run Ricky Run
No Cross-Over (Allen Iverson)
Kings Ransom
Small Potatoes (USFL)
Guru of Go
Muhammad and Larry
Jimmy the Greek
Silly Little Game

THoughts?

Wait, is it my turn on this site to rip SOMEONE ELSE'S LIST!!???!!! WOO HOO haha let's see here...first, I haven't seen all of 2 Escobars, or any of Muhammad and Larry or June 17th, 1994 (which looked good)...I think I agree with the bottom 2..I liked Guru of Go a lot, but I think it did get old, plus I knew the story, and a lot of the reasons I like the 30 for 30 series is because it is enlightening. I thought Kings Ransom was top 3 material. I agree Winning time was the best, I'd rank Straight Outta LA a little lower and the USFL one higher, but not a terrible list at all

BayouBoys
07-26-2010, 06:08 AM
It's all about the U!

Pruitt
07-26-2010, 10:07 PM
"The U" was pretty classic.

I found "June 17th 1994" to be redundant after about 15 minutes and turned it off after 25.

Polishguy00
07-26-2010, 10:34 PM
My favorites are Two Escobars, The U, Small Potatoes, Guru of Go and Without Bias

GoBigOrGoHome
07-26-2010, 10:49 PM
Throw a tip of the cap to ESPN for not engaging in the self-fellation in which they partook when they celebrated their 25th anniversary. That junk was brutal. I had never really taken an hard, objective look at the WWL until the 25th thing. Only then did I realize just how friggin' annoying they had become.

BayouBoys
07-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Throw a tip of the cap to ESPN for not engaging in the self-fellation in which they partook when they celebrated their 25th anniversary. That junk was brutal. I had never really taken an hard, objective look at the WWL until the 25th thing. Only then did I realize just how friggin' annoying they had become.

HA! so true.

GoBigOrGoHome
04-10-2011, 10:10 PM
'The Best That Never Was' documentary on Marcus Dupree is airing right now on ESPN2. If you have not seen it, I recommend it highly.

Pruitt
04-13-2011, 11:19 PM
Just watched "Pony Excess" and was really enjoying it until the last 10 minutes.

Why they felt the need to put a happy ending on the story is beyond me. A real Hollywood ending, full of hope and uplift. Kinda weird after an hour and a half of unbelievable and frequently funny, sleaze and corruption. What a victory in the 2009 Hawaii Bowl had to do with that is beyond me.

KabaModernFan
04-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Totally recommend that everyone go out and buy the box sets to watch all of these. I can't remember watching one that I didn't love. My favorites, in no particular order, were:

King's Ransom
Without Bias
The U
Winning Time
No Crossover
The 16th Man
June 17, 1994
The Two Escobars
Into The Wind
Once Brothers
Press Pause
The Best That Never Was
Pony Excess

Of those, my favorite favorites are probably No Crossover, Best That Never Was, and Winning Time.

GoBigOrGoHome
04-14-2011, 12:02 AM
Run, Ricky Run.

Docta
04-14-2011, 12:53 AM
The Two Escobars was easily my favorite. Just a great movie overall, and probably the best documentary I've ever seen. Still haven't seen Winning Time yet, but I'll be DL'ing it sooner or later.

Anybody know when the Bartman documentary is going to be televised?

KabaModernFan
04-14-2011, 03:47 PM
The Two Escobars was easily my favorite. Just a great movie overall, and probably the best documentary I've ever seen. Still haven't seen Winning Time yet, but I'll be DL'ing it sooner or later.

Anybody know when the Bartman documentary is going to be televised?

I believe the Bartman doc (Catching Hell) is supposed to be out later this year. I want to say sometime in October, but don't quote me on that. I'm also not sure about the other 30 for 30 docs that got replaced in the lineup for some reason - Charismatic and another one whose name I can't remember right now. I do know that Simmons said in a chat that they planned on having 4-5 30 for 30 style docs each year though now since it was such a phenomenal success.

DannyMilk
04-16-2011, 01:38 AM
yeah, I know Simmons said sometime later this year, but definitely before 2012, and they postponed it to do more editing I think.

KabaModernFan
05-07-2011, 09:33 PM
"The Best That Never Was" currently airing on ESPN. Highly recommended if you haven't seen it already.

GoBigOrGoHome
05-07-2011, 09:36 PM
"The Best That Never Was" currently airing on ESPN. Highly recommended if you haven't seen it already.

Best one after The Fab Five.

GoBigOrGoHome
05-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Good god. Marcus DuPree was a freak.

High school senior:

Height: 6'3"
Weight: 235#
Max bench: 400+
100 yard dash: 9.5

Oy.

Pruitt
10-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Watched 9.79* last night - 30 For 30'sdocumentary about the lead up to and the aftermath of the 1988 100 metre race at the Seoul Olympics.

Hard for a Canadian boy to watch, but riveting throughout.

DannyMilk
11-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Benji was phenomenal. Here in Chicago we all already knew, but still it was very well done. Can't believe that piece of scum, rehabilitated or not, is waling free. Devastating.

Trumpetbdw
11-10-2012, 08:04 AM
Evidently the featured 30 for 30 following the Heisman trophy presentation will be "Bo Jackson".

Need I say more?

KabaModernFan
11-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Evidently the featured 30 for 30 following the Heisman trophy presentation will be "Bo Jackson".

Need I say more?

Excitement!