PDA

View Full Version : What Rules would You like to Change?

SEABAGS
07-23-2010, 09:45 AM
The penalty for defensive holding is 5yds & automatic 1st down. That chaps my as$ because the situation could be 3rd & 27, & cheap call @ the line of scrimmage absolutely kills the D's momentum.

..And isn't 15 yds enough of penalty for pass interference? Does it really need to be an auto 1st or possibly a 40yd penalty. The league assumes that the receiver will alway make the catch:mad:

KevinG
07-23-2010, 10:13 AM
I don't have a problem with them. Without the automatic first down on defensive holding I think you would have DBs who feel they are going to get beat just grabbing onto receivers. Say it's 3rd and 15 and a WR puts a move on a DB that's going to allow him to slide by and get open for a potential 1st down, so the DB grabs him as he goes by and takes the 5 yard penalty making it 3rd and 10. What DB wouldn't do that if the penalty does not give an automatic first down.

I don't know if the league assumes the receiver will ALWAYS make the catch, but the receiver has the RIGHT TO TRY and make the catch.

SEABAGS
07-23-2010, 10:23 AM
you make excellent points. I guess it's the ticky-tac calls that get my blood boiling.

Yeah, the receiver has the right to make the catch, but to give him 30+ yds of penalty is ridiculous. To me, 15yds is plenty( no matter the distance).

KevinG
07-23-2010, 10:58 AM
you make excellent points. I guess it's the ticky-tac calls that get my blood boiling.

Yeah, the receiver has the right to make the catch, but to give him 30+ yds of penalty is ridiculous. To me, 15yds is plenty( no matter the distance).

I can see your point on this one, and most of the time I think it would be fine. But what if it's late in the 4th quarter and a team is trying to drive for that game winning score. There's only enough time on the clock for a couple more plays. A receiver gets position on the defender 30 yards downfield and is most likely going to make a catch that would put their team in position for the game winning FG, so the DB mauls the guy. Now instead of the team having the ball 30 yards downfield and able to attempt a FG, the team is 15 yards downfield and still out of FG range. A no brainer for the DB to committ that penalty forcing the opponent into a hail mary attempt for the win.

MattBer2c
07-23-2010, 11:23 AM
I like the new overtime rule. I think it's good that it's only in effect for playoffs though.

What rule would I have changed? Hmm, I never like when two penalties "offset", but I guess it can't be helped. I also really like the taunting penalties; it penalizes the guy who starts stuff, rather than the guy who reacts.

Pruitt
07-23-2010, 09:14 PM
I hate defensive holding calls being an automatic first down - mainly because I've seen so many borderline calls that kill a defense.

I would change the rule on missed field goals. Instead of the defense getting the ball on the spot where the kick was made from, I'd institute a rule where the kicker is immediately chased out of the stadium, never to return.

Bengals1181
07-23-2010, 09:27 PM
cut blocks. With all the focus on protecting players, I never understood a rule where you can dive at a players knees.

Bengals lost Antwan Odom to a cut block by Owen Daniels with an ACL injury when he was having a pro bowl season. I don't wish injury on anyone, but karma caught up to Daniels 2 weeks later when he blew out his knee.

Colts01
07-23-2010, 09:33 PM
I hate defensive holding calls being an automatic first down - mainly because I've seen so many borderline calls that kill a defense.

I would change the rule on missed field goals. Instead of the defense getting the ball on the spot where the kick was made from, I'd institute a rule where the kicker is immediately chased out of the stadium, never to return.
this happened to our idiot kicker after the home playoff loss to the steelers

msclemons
07-23-2010, 10:30 PM
Whatever rule it is that gives a 15 yard penalty for breathing near Tom Brady needs to be axed.

As much as I dislike defensive holding and pass interference penalties I think big pass plays would never happen without them. DBs would simply tackle a WR that beat them and take the 15 yards rather than risk a TD.

williwonte
07-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Get the umpire off the field. Put him the booth with the multiple video monitors. Give him a microphone to connect to the ref. He can give immediate info to the ref. He will see the play from multiple camera angles. This will decrease the need for the mini conference on the field between the judges. It will speed up the game and help avoid some of the unfortunate calls made by a judge in a bad position. It would get the umpire out of the West Coast offense that seems to use him as a pick.

It would not replace coaches challenges, but it would make them less common.

Turk Schonert
07-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Whatever rule it is that gives a 15 yard penalty for breathing near Tom Brady needs to be axed.

As much as I dislike defensive holding and pass interference penalties I think big pass plays would never happen without them. DBs would simply tackle a WR that beat them and take the 15 yards rather than risk a TD.

How about a 5 yard 'FLOP' rule penalizing QB's who flop on a hit. We'll call it the Brady rule.