PDA

View Full Version : TO to the Bengals?

Andy Freeland
07-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Rumors are all over PFT that TO is signing with the Bengals, though they're also reporting that both sides are denying those reports. TMZ has reported that he is definitely signing with the Bengals, and if TMZ is reporting it, it probably isn't true. A quick look at the Bengals already crowded WR position if they add Owens:

In: Antonio Bryant, Jordan Shipley, Chad Ochocinco, Owens
Fighting for a spot: Andre Caldwell, Quan Cosby, Matt Jones, Dezmon Briscoe
Out: Maurice Purify, Freddie Brown, Jerome Simpson

With 3 players that aren't an option on special teams (Bryant, Ochocinco, Owens), the final 2 spots have to go to special teams players. My money is on Caldwell and Cosby with Briscoe headed for the practice squad unless he's good enough in the pre-season that they think they'll lose him.

Bengals1181
07-24-2010, 10:44 AM
I just can't see a TO signing unless someone is hurt bad.

Here's my six:

Locks: Chad, Bryant, Shipley, Caldwell

Fighting for the last two: Matt Jones, Cosby, Briscoe, and Simpson.

I think Briscoe will be one of the last two. Too much potential, youth, and contract length. Cosby will get the other if he wins the punt return job. If not, he may be in trouble. Jones and Simpson will have to light up camp to win one of the spots. Jones has the most (immediate) potential of the four by far.

My guesses:

Briscoe
Cosby

I'd like to say Simpson will be #6, but Cosby is just too big of a special team ace.

walzav31
07-24-2010, 10:52 AM
If Carson wants it. I say do it. To me it's showing that they really want to go for it this year. Keep Briscoe and T.O. Why not a big time incentive deal? The defense will be top 10, the running game is top 10, and with T.O. and Chad that passing game will be top 10. Do it!

Pattrick
07-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Carson is lobbying for him to join the Bengals. From everything I've read, this thing sounds like a done deal.

Fayld
07-24-2010, 11:11 AM
personally, i think TO still has a ton to offer a team that cab make a run and could use a wr. the bengals fit this in spite of the bryant signing. bryant has shown flashes of greatness, but never on TOs level of consistency or general skill. let's also not downplay the fact that bryant has never been a bastion of health. TO might not be a legit number one, but he can dominate a number two corner all day long. going to the bengals would be a steal for the bengals this season.

GoBigOrGoHome
07-24-2010, 11:13 AM
The Bungles need some speed to stretch the field and give Ochocinco and Bryant room to work the middle. Adding T.O. gives them one more possession receiver with a 'me-first' attitude. How much of that do you really need on your team? It just doesn't make sense to me. But, this is the Bengals we're talking about. Sorry guys, but living down here in SW OH has taught me to look at your team the same way I look at mine...

Bengals1181
07-24-2010, 11:23 AM
The Bungles need some speed to stretch the field and give Ochocinco and Bryant room to work the middle. Adding T.O. gives them one more possession receiver with a 'me-first' attitude. How much of that do you really need on your team? It just doesn't make sense to me. But, this is the Bengals we're talking about. Sorry guys, but living down here in SW OH has taught me to look at your team the same way I look at mine...

lol did I really just see a Lions fan mocking ANY team?

You're head seems to be stuck in the 90's. The Bengals have never finished worse than 7-9 with Carson under center.

ncoolong
07-24-2010, 11:30 AM
The Bengals have never finished worse than 7-9 with Carson under center.

They should put that in Cincinnati's season ticket marketing campaign.

walzav31
07-24-2010, 11:36 AM

Hey. Shouldn't you be keeping an eye on Ben? You know he can't be left alone for 10 minutes without getting into trouble.

Bengals1181

I hear the stealers front office is going on a truth kick and next year's tickets are going to have a big steroid syringe on them to honor the teams of the 70's.

walzav31

The 0-16 season has made you legally incapable to comment on another team.

walzav31
07-24-2010, 11:38 AM
T.O. gave Buffalo no trouble last year, and Carson would be the best QB he ever worked with. This will be a great fit for a Super Bowl run.

Bengals1181
07-24-2010, 11:40 AM
I don't necessarily want him, but I think TO knows that at this point in his career that if he wants a ring he needs to shut his mouth and play team ball.

GoBigOrGoHome
07-24-2010, 11:48 AM
I listen to Bengals fans call in to Mark Schlemmer's show on 980 WONE in Dayton. They talk about the Bengals the same way fans talked about the Lions when we were an occasional playoff team (yes, in the 90s). They despise the team's owner. They are impossibly tough on their coach. And they make excuses upon excuses for their favorite players.

The tone of the conversation is so reminiscent that I get a little creeped out.

It's like a 'Names changed to protect the innocent' disclaimer at the end of a movie titled "Wm. Clay Ford, Sr., Wayne Fontes & The Lions".

Bengals1181
07-24-2010, 11:58 AM
I listen to Bengals fans call in to Mark Schlemmer's show on 980 WONE in Dayton. They talk about the Bengals the same way fans talked about the Lions when we were an occasional playoff team (yes, in the 90s). They despise the team's owner. They are impossibly tough on their coach. And they make excuses upon excuses for their favorite players.

The tone of the conversation is so reminiscent that I get a little creeped out.

It's like a 'Names changed to protect the innocent' disclaimer at the end of a movie titled "Wm. Clay Ford, Sr., Wayne Fontes & The Lions".

I live in Dayton too. Tip one, don't listen to Mark Schlemmer. Absolutely awful show. He basically rips on anything not UD or Wright State.

GoBigOrGoHome
07-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Who else is there? Seriously. Is there an ESPN Radio affiliate in the area?

Bengals1181
07-24-2010, 12:03 PM
Who else is there? Seriously. Is there an ESPN Radio affiliate in the area?

Well dayton radio isn't that good. Mark Neal on 1410 ESPN is ok, but is rocks for brains. Typically I try to beam in 1530 in Cincinnati in the afternoon. Not super sports talk, but well above anything Dayton has to offer. 700 WLW is another Cincy station you'll get in Dayton too, but much of their stuff is political until about 5pm.

GoBigOrGoHome
07-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Thanks. I find the Cincy station when I get down that way. But I live 15 minutes north of I-70 & can't get any of them up here. Don't know what it is with 1410, but neither of our vehicles can pull in that signal up here, either. I only listen to the radio in the car. If I am near the PC, I stream one of my hometown stations.

Andy Freeland
07-24-2010, 12:20 PM
I live in Dayton too. Tip one, don't listen to Mark Schlemmer. Absolutely awful show. He basically rips on anything not UD or Wright State.

To be fair, when you're so close to a sports powerhouse like the Wright State Raiders everything else pales in comparison.

Bengals1181
07-24-2010, 12:57 PM
haha I used to work at Wright State. There's been some good teams lately, but I don't know about powerhouses. ;)

Basically he just rips on all pro sports (and the buckeyes too).

GoBigOrGoHome
07-24-2010, 01:01 PM
He does know his baseball. Not that I care about the friggin' Reds or the Dragons, Flyers, Raiders or the BillyJoeBob High Bootlickers baseball teams. But, the man does know his baseball.

Colts01
07-24-2010, 06:14 PM
I hear the stealers front office is going on a truth kick and next year's tickets are going to have a big steroid syringe on them to honor the teams of the 70's.

oouuuccchhhhhh shots fired~