PDA

View Full Version : To win one big game, who do you want coaching your team?

GoBigOrGoHome
07-24-2010, 01:38 PM
I'll post this as a poll with the maximum field of my top ten. I am sure no one will agree with it, but what hell? Have at it.

My personal choice would be Mike Tomlin. That guy seems to be rock solid and his teams play tough.

Use current head coaches only. I thought I'd get a chance to edit this before the poll went up. "First Pollitis", I guess.

illmatc2
07-24-2010, 01:42 PM
What's your criteria they have to be current coaches?

illmatc2
07-24-2010, 01:44 PM
I may have to go with Sean Payton I know I'd want him calling plays.

ReaderM
07-24-2010, 01:45 PM
What's your criteria they have to be current coaches?

Yea, that a very important thing not stated

GoBigOrGoHome
07-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Otherwise, Bill Walsh wins in a landslide. JK.

DannyMilk
07-24-2010, 01:59 PM
I went with Belichick...I'd go with Payton and Tomlin 2 and 3...I like Payton a lot, and I think he is a maniac when it comes to coaching...first maniac since Cowher in my opinion.

GoBigOrGoHome
07-24-2010, 02:03 PM
I hope the Lions look to the example set by the Steelers and I get to revise this sucker in a few years to include Jim Schwartz.

msclemons
07-24-2010, 02:07 PM
For a gameday coach I'd take Tomlin. For a person to build me a winning team I'd take Sean Payton. Bilicheck has passed his prime IMO while Payton is still on the way up.

illmatc2
07-24-2010, 02:29 PM
I hope the Lions look to the example set by the Steelers and I get to revise this sucker in a few years to include Jim Schwartz.

preach on brother!! I think he is up and coming too.

GoBigOrGoHome
07-24-2010, 02:42 PM
preach on brother!! I think he is up and coming too.

Feel free to drop some Lions knowledge, bro. I can feel the snickers coming through the keyboard every time I post Lions stuff on here. Feeling optimistic about what will probably be a 5-11 season is a little bittersweet, but I'll take it! Cornbread!

"My shovel is sharp..." -- Rod Marinelli

buzmeg
07-24-2010, 05:42 PM
All polls should have an "other category" or a "write in" selection.
That being said, I'll take Vince Lombardi.

Colts01
07-24-2010, 05:51 PM
history-Chuck Noll...cant argue with 4 super bowls
now-Sean Payton

RSConn5
07-24-2010, 05:55 PM
I took Sean Payton because i know he is going to throw the entire playbook at you and make the risky calls that most other coaches would shy away from. The onside kick to start the second half of the super bowl is the only example i need to back up that statement.

And Lions fans keep on feeling optimistic. I think you guys hit it big on Stafford and he should be leading you guys into the playoffs in about 3 years. Can't wait to see what Stafford and Calvin Johnson can do together once Stafford develops and gets a couple of seasons under his belt.

giantsfan97
07-24-2010, 07:14 PM
I voted for Belichik because as a Giants fan I know he can win the big one.

Oh and this is where I start laughing like a school boy

msclemons
07-24-2010, 07:21 PM

Haha - that's cold blooded. I love it.

Tinindian
07-24-2010, 07:30 PM
As much as it pains me, You have to go with the guy who has the hardware. Belichick.

Ack, pfttt,bleh. (Me gagging)

StarvinMarvin
07-24-2010, 09:53 PM
To GBOGH: I don't think the Lions are much more than a year away from respectability. They got rid of Matt Millan.. Marinelli is at least an ok coach.. they got rid of Matt Millan... had a couple of decent drafts... and oh yeah!!... got rid of Matt Millan :p

As for the poll.. I voted for Peyton. He's king of the hill and the front office in NoLa seem to do alright keeping the core group together and filling in well. While ya can't deny Belichick's accomplishments, The team grew old of late and the front office seems to want to upset core players consistantly (i.e. Brady, Tom as a current example)

hassan812
07-24-2010, 10:19 PM

I'm pretty sure he has qon "the big one" more than any coach coaching today....I'd take that guy anyday

Turk Schonert
07-24-2010, 10:40 PM
I'm pretty sure he has qon "the big one" more than any coach coaching today....I'd take that guy anyday

I know Belichick will be the flavor of the day and I agree that he is an outstanding game day coach. I'm going to mention a coach who
hasn't won a Super Bowl yet, but think he is an excellent game day coach. That would be Jeff Fisher.

StarvinMarvin
07-24-2010, 10:58 PM
I know Belichick will be the flavor of the day and I agree that he is an outstanding game day coach. I'm going to mention a coach who
hasn't won a Super Bowl yet, but think he is an excellent game day coach. That would be Jeff Fisher.

That's kinda why I qualified my vote by mentioning the front offices. Coaches can only do so much with the players they have on hand. But Turk, you'd prolly be able to answer this one for us. Can a great game day coach make chicken salad out of (insert appropriate phrase here) on a given Sunday?

Tinindian
07-24-2010, 11:26 PM
I think Jeff Fisher is a heck of a coach. He has done fanatastic work in TN. The Titans (ie, 2 fingered Bud) would be wise to not get impatient with him and go in a different direction.

GoBigOrGoHome
07-25-2010, 12:13 AM

Fisher was my #2 choice. He reminds me of my high school coach.

If I ever post another poll, I'll spend more time laying out the parameters. This list was in no particular order. Just a quick 'eyeball test' straight from the hip. Live & learn.

TheLinc
07-25-2010, 12:20 AM
Belichick easily, since he's shown he can win with a variety of weapons and schemes. Doesn't rely on any one strategy too heavily, and he's likely already taped the other teams playbook.

I don't know how well Payton can coach without a high paced offense like he currently has. I'd like to see him harness some of Philly's talents, but not before Hoodie.

DannyMilk
07-25-2010, 12:20 AM

hate hate hate hate hate

MattBer2c
07-25-2010, 01:24 AM
With my team? Sean Payton. Any other circumstance, I'd probably choose Belichick. But very it's close if it's just one game.

Colts01
07-25-2010, 01:48 PM
that onside call certianly raised Payton way up there no doubt