PDA

View Full Version : The Hope-List-Ness

Chilly
07-25-2010, 08:16 AM
Part 1 of my eventual complete and undebatable [kidding] power rankings. The Hopelessness List is comprised of all the teams in the NFL that I feel do not have a realistic chance at making the playoffs. Obviously, strange things can happen in the NFL, where the 1-15 Dolphins found their way to the playoffs the next year after an easy schedule and a Parcells makeover. But for these seven teams, I wouldn't bet on it.

#32- The Buffalo Bills: Playoff reality comes down to two major factors: a team's own ability and that of the teams standing in its way. The Dolphins, Patriots and Jets all have lofty aspirations, and accurately don't see the Bills as much of a threat standing in their way. With a dismal QB situation exacerbated by a bleak offensive line, CJ Spiller and Lee Evans--both viable weapons--will spend most of the time gathering dust in their hilts while the defense tries to keep the games to a respectable score. Jake Locker, anyone?

#31- The St. Louis Rams: Anything should be possible in the NFC West, but for a team led by a rookie QB--and an injury-prone one at that--who isn't surrounded by much other than a relentless running back, you can't expect much from these Rams. While things are looking up--and they certainly are--it is hard to look any other direction from where the Rams have been treading water the past two seasons. Thank God for the Bills, right St. Louis? You don't need Locker, anyways.

#30- The Cleveland Browns: As is the case with the Bills, they are in a loaded division--especially once Big Ben gets back--and are enduring a leadership change in the front office. While Holmgren should bring some order to the chaotic state of Man-Genius's team, the lack of weapons will be too much of a hindrance to overcome. I mean, the answer to their woeful offense was to bring in Jake Delhomme? Did anyone watch the Panthers last year?

#29- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers: If I was a Bucs fan, I would actually feel quite good about the state of my team. Solid young QB, great draft pick in McCoy, and lots of prospering weapons on both sides of the ball. All that being said, they sit in a division behind two powerhouses and another formidable running team, and will have to see progress as earning a few more victories than last season--not nearly enough to earn a playoff berth.

#28- The Detroit Lions: A lot of positive media vibe about this team. A QB-RB-WR trio you can get excited about usually does that. However, they still are the Lions, and a vulnerable defense and shaky O-Line will have everyone reminding themselves of that by Week Four. In yet another loaded division, progress does not walk hand-in-hand with its alliterative partner: the playoffs. Another mediocre year in the Motor City.

#27- The Jacksonville Jaguars: Too low, you say? Certainly not with a Pro Bowl [after several others dropped out] QB and RB leading a team that nearly made the playoffs a year ago. Yet when you look at who they managed to beat last year--a feast of horrific teams--one cannot feel 'good' about this year's chances. When the Texans are looking up, the Titans are resurgent and the Colts and the Colts--the Jags will undoubtedly find themselves--once again--as cellar dwellers. The good news for Del Rio? He won't be maturing in the Jags wine cellar. This will be his last year.

#26 The Kansas City Chiefs: The Cassell project hasn't gone so well, and the Chiefs prognosis for the '10-'11 season is far from optimistic. However, in the AFC West--where mediocre is accepted--they could make some noise where they will play the Broncos and Raiders twice each. That being said, Cassell-to-Bowe just doesn't seem like a playoff combination.

That leaves twenty-five teams with realistic hopes of making the playoffs. In my humblest opinion, of course.

If you are a fan of these seven, however, I send you my sincerest condolences and hope you haven't invested too much in season ticket packages. The draft is only nine months away, right?

Tinindian
07-25-2010, 08:44 AM
Not gonna happen for any of those teams this year.

Of all those teams, I have a strange fascination with the Lions. I like what is happening there these days, but I really wish they had addressed their offensive line more in the offseason.

TheLinc
07-25-2010, 09:05 AM
I picked the Chiefs, predominantly from a divisional standpoint. They have several nice skill players I'm aware of, but I will be the first to admit that I am the least qualified person to speak intelligently about the Kansas City Chiefs, though I did nearly get into a bar fight with Tyler Thigpen (I found out later) during a high school spring break in Myrtle Beach.

The AFC West is, it appears, up for grabs. It's the Chargers to lose but it doesn't look like they're holding onto it very tightly, and Arrowhead is a great place to land a few sucker punches. Who knows? Jamaal Charles is everyones favorite break out running back, and who knows if Bowe will get his affairs in order.

That said, they're still hopeless.

DM138385
07-25-2010, 11:28 AM
I went with the Chiefs, the Chargers window is closing and the Broncos are not to far ahead, think it will come down to how they can do in the division.

Colts01
07-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Division games seem to make all the difference alot of times true

bluestree
07-25-2010, 02:24 PM
I voted for KC, but just because of the division. If the Chargers were to implode, anything could happen. I doubt it, but they wouldn't be the first worst to first team in NFL history.

KabaModernFan
07-25-2010, 03:43 PM
I picked the Jaguars because they seem to have the must upside of anyone on the list. David Garrard has shown he can be a good QB, Jones-Drew is a great runningback, Mike Sims-Walker is a good young receiver, and they have playmakers on defense such as Rashean Mathis, Kirk Morrison, and Aaron Kampman. I think this could be a six or seven win team, and if everyone plays up to their potential they could sneak into that last Wild Card spot. Still a long shot, but I think it's the most possible of any team on this list. Nice list by the way.

ReaderM
07-25-2010, 05:21 PM
This post is so depressing sigh... on to other related notes, I was a fan of the Jaguars making the postseason and was going to retype everything that KabaModernFan said but then I checked the Jaguars scheduled and noticed it was the 5th hardest in the league with them having to travel to the Chargers, Cowboys, and Arrowhead on top of their already deep division schedule. I don't think they have the offenses or defensive powers to survive that. On the other hand the Chiefs have the 23rd hardest schedule and that division if the Chargers don't run away with it early is up for grabs and the Chiefs might have just enough weapons to it.

Chilly
07-25-2010, 08:33 PM
The Chiefs were easily the toughest team to put on this list, because just like the Royals they are an inherently impossible team to root against [unless they are your team's rival, of course]. I mean, who wouldn't love seeing this team screech by the Broncos and Chargers in the final four weeks to make the playoffs with a 9-7 record?

Matt Cassell has to be the biggest question mark on this team. He put up a decent season with an offense around him in New England that had just posted an all-time record season. That is not proof of anything, and why the gamble on him by the Chiefs was a major one [alternatively, had Josh McDaniels gotten ahold of him, I would have liked it much better since he knew more]. Really, there are three ways Cassell's career could be remembered ten years from now:

a. Great story about a college back-up leading a team to an 11-5 record when the superstar QB goes down [which would be a much better story if the Patriots hadn't inexplicably been screwed out of the playoffs because someone in the NFL front office decided that an 8-8 team from a horrific division is much more deserving than an 11-5 team], and that is the end of the story on Matt Cassell. Played for a couple other teams, never really did much.
b. The fluke QB that the Chiefs wasted five years and millions of dollars trying to resurrect your franchise with. When you are in the rebuilding stage with an NFL team, the choice of who your QB is going to be is undoubtedly the most important. You can get away with some veterans that the team doesn't latch onto for awhile, but eventually you have to grab a young QB and say "he's our guy!" The Chiefs grabbed Cassell, and...
c. He helps KC turn it around, they go 9-7, make the playoffs, he is the Comeback Player of the Year and a hot fantasy name going into next season.

a. b. or c.

Take your pick.

[quick comment about the Jags: definitely have the building blocks if they were in a weaker era of the NFL. The AFC is loaded this year, however, and there is no way that 9-7 will do the job for them. The Colts are guaranteed 11-12 wins, so the Jags will have to earn a wild card spot. The Chiefs don't have to win 10-11 games to make the playoffs...the Jags do. That therein lies the difference]

Docta
07-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Picked the Chiefs. I think Chambers will end up getting the #1 spot over Bowe though. Flowers and Hali are underrated, plus, they get Berry into their secondary.

BubbaLove
07-25-2010, 09:48 PM
I voted for KC, but just because of the division. If the Chargers were to implode, anything could happen. I doubt it, but they wouldn't be the first worst to first team in NFL history.

Agreed and for the same reasons. The Rams are in a simular situation, but aren't half as good as KC.

lraybern
07-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Tried of hearing there is always next year! I want it this year ! It could happen:( Angels in the outfield movie) Smiling -Would love it

DannyMilk
07-26-2010, 12:55 AM
I also picked the Kansas City PatriotsChiefs. Best upside, and I guess they have the MOST questionmarks, in my opinion, so that gives them a chance, as well as divisional yes. Good work Chilly, expect a lot of people to call you an idiot, wrong, and dumb, but keep doing your thing!!! It's hard to make lists/rankings...I'm trying my mind at it for the first time one here.

BuckeyeRidley
07-26-2010, 01:25 AM
Thanks Chilly; I went bold & picked the Cleveland Browns!!!

I think the Mangini hot seat year & the end of season surge help to give them a chance to win. I know it sounds, thinks & reads crazy but it could happen.

OH & Don't Forget--LeBron leaving Cleveland I'm sure has been a great motivation for the Browns to be able to draw closer to Browns/Cleveland sports fans!

DannyMilk
07-26-2010, 01:32 AM
Brady Quinn: "I've made my decision....I'm...gosh, this is tough....in the 2010-2011 season, I'm taking my talents to Denver's bench."

msclemons
07-26-2010, 02:17 AM
Brady Quinn: "I've made my decision....I'm...gosh, this is tough....in the 2010-2011 season, I'm taking my talents to Denver's bench."

Beer, meet keyboard.

Pattrick
07-26-2010, 03:25 AM
Wow. I'm glad I'm not the only one who picked the Chiefs. MY heart really wanted to pick the Lions but the more I thought about it, of the teams listed, the Chiefs probably have the "best" shot.

Chompurself
07-26-2010, 04:01 AM
I voted for the Chiefs because they are in division that is rebuilding for the most part, the chargers have a few holes and I still think they win the division but KC is very improved and have one of the best RB tandems in the league now with Jones/Charles

BayouBoys
07-26-2010, 04:02 AM
It's weird. I have no feelings for the chiefs. At all. The only reason I did look at them was when Willie Roaf went there. Simply out of respect I watched him. Other then that, they don't really "scream" at me to watch them. With that being said, they are the only team on that list that could make it. But watch out for the browns with pitt possibly taking another season off? I doubt it. But hey, anything can happen...I mean...the saints won the superbowl!

Polishguy00
07-26-2010, 07:59 AM
Look, I picked the Chiefs, too out of this group but it is still not without a lot of what-ifs. They need to get more out of their high DL picks from LSU. They need to have Charles break out and Bowe make another leap. Cassel has to look like a guy from two years ago and I think he has a chance to with Charlie Weis coaching for him. As much as I do not like the massive Pats love around the NFL, I can't deny that I feel better about them more than anyone else simply due to the decent amount of Pats blood flowing around that locker room, coaching staff and front office.

DannyMilk
07-26-2010, 09:23 AM
I wonder what the over/under is for Thomas Jones @ 700 Yards Rushing this year...should be interesting