PDA

View Full Version : Best OL in the NFL?

Dave Lapham
07-25-2010, 11:32 AM
As a former NFL OL I have my thoughts on who has the best group up front in the league. I would like to read your thoughts on which team has the best OL in each division and who is the best in the league and why. You guys know the game and I would be interested in your take about who excels in the trenches.

Bengals1181
07-25-2010, 11:55 AM
before dumping Faneca I would have said the Jets. Probably the Saints.

Colts01
07-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Dave will know alot more then most of us I suspect since he played the position and knows who and how each play is won or lost but my take is I really like the Falcons O-line this year,no real stars but they seem awful solid.That said have to say Saints/Ravens as well.For run blocking Id think Miami is right up there as well

WashProWilly
07-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Titans, Colts, Jets, Vikings all have very good offensive lines. Its hard to say who's the absolute best though, even with stats at hand like sacks allowed, etc.

StarvinMarvin
07-25-2010, 01:22 PM
I would like to read your thoughts on which team has the best OL in each division and who is the best in the league and why.

I'll give it a shot sir...

AFC

East – New York Jets

North – Baltimore Ravens

South – Tennessee Titans

West – Denver Broncos

NFC

East – Dallas Cowboys

North – Minnesota Vikings

South – New Orleans Saints

West - Arizona Cardinals

NFL

New Orleans Saints or Tennessee Titans

SO ok. I copped out at the end but I couldn't make a logical choice between the two. But if pressed I'd go with NoLa by a nose. I see their pass blocking as a bit better.

msclemons
07-25-2010, 02:08 PM
If I go by the in-depth stats at Football Outsiders I'd have to say the Saints have the best OL. They were top 10 in pass protection and run blocking last year, they get Jammal back from injury and added Charlie Brown to the mix. Not to mention the billion dollar guard Jahri Evans.

But if I go by my gut feeling from watching games I'd say the Ravens. Last year when I watched games The Ravens and Jets O-Lines just seemed to maul opponents. It looked like men blocking boys at times. I'd rank the Ravens and Jets even if Faneca had stayed but my gut (fortified by BEER) says Ravens.

One O-Line that could surprise is the Browns. Now, before you laugh me off the site, you have to consider how much the incredibly poor QB and RB performances hurt the lines' stats. They've got a legitimate All-Pro LT, an up an comer at Center and some solid depth. If they get any help from the skill players they could be a top 10 OL.

Bengals1181
07-25-2010, 02:18 PM
If I go by the in-depth stats at Football Outsiders I'd have to say the Saints have the best OL. They were top 10 in pass protection and run blocking last year, they get Jammal back from injury and added Charlie Brown to the mix. Not to mention the billion dollar guard Jahri Evans.

But if I go by my gut feeling from watching games I'd say the Ravens. Last year when I watched games The Ravens and Jets O-Lines just seemed to maul opponents. It looked like men blocking boys at times. I'd rank the Ravens and Jets even if Faneca had stayed but my gut (fortified by BEER) says Ravens.

One O-Line that could surprise is the Browns. Now, before you laugh me off the site, you have to consider how much the incredibly poor QB and RB performances hurt the lines' stats. They've got a legitimate All-Pro LT, an up an comer at Center and some solid depth. If they get any help from the skill players they could be a top 10 OL.

you have to keep in mind that the Jets, Ravens, and even Bengals used a lot of 6 man fronts last season.

MattBer2c
07-25-2010, 02:22 PM
They actually traded Jammal Brown to the Redskins, so hopefully the line can stay healthy!

msclemons
07-25-2010, 03:11 PM
They actually traded Jammal Brown to the Redskins, so hopefully the line can stay healthy!

Doh! How did I miss that? And you quoted so I can't ninja edit and pretend like I'm smart.

Andy Freeland
07-25-2010, 03:23 PM
3 of the better lines from last year have issues at LT: Cowboys (Doug Free/Alex Barron), Saints (Jermon Bushrod replaces Jamall Brown), Broncos (Ryan Clady injury). Jets were probably the best line last year but might start a rookie LG.

I'll say Ravens, Panthers, Titans

Chompurself
07-26-2010, 04:12 AM
I wanna say the Colts but maybe Peyton just makes them look good too

BayouBoys
07-26-2010, 04:31 AM
3 of the better lines from last year have issues at LT: Cowboys (Doug Free/Alex Barron), Saints (Jermon Bushrod replaces Jamall Brown), Broncos (Ryan Clady injury). Jets were probably the best line last year but might start a rookie LG.

I'll say Ravens, Panthers, Titans

Bushrod won't be a problem considering Brown didn't play at all! Brown only started once...and that was during the pre-season. The guy can be great though and I hope he helps the 'skins out (thats my 2nd team behind my saints!)

Tinindian
07-26-2010, 06:21 AM
I haven't seen them mentioned yet, but I'm telling you The Dolphins are going to have the best o-line this year. Last year they had injuries to both guards, the center and Carey at RT was banged up all year and they were still #4 rushing league wide. This year they brought in Incognito for one of the guard spots, drafted John Jerry to bring inside and a couple of other guys to battle with them for starting spots and backup spots. If they can get Incognito to keep his cool this will be one heck of an oline.

Dave Lapham
07-26-2010, 06:46 AM
Really good stuff. I agree with almost all of your reasons for picking the groups you picked. Atlanta was an interesting selection. I think they may be a lot like the NY Giants OL before they won their Super Bowl and now a few of them have gotten their just due as Pro Bowlers. Their sum total performance was better than any individual part. That is when you have a solid OL, evryone working together in unison.

Polishguy00
07-26-2010, 08:25 AM
I am putting my dork card on the table. I play Strat-O-Matic football and I have an upcoming draft. The game is statistically accurate, but the specific player ratings can be subjective. They are usually very close. According to the numbers, simply the ranking of each line based on starting players, here are a couple top tens. Obviously, these are based on last year's stats and season, so issues that have arisen since then in New Orleans and Denver are not accounted for.

Pass Blocking
1.Indy
2.New England
3.New Orleans
4.Tennessee
4.Arizona
6.Atlanta
7.Cleveland
7.Houston
9.Jets
9.Cincinnati
9.Tampa Bay

Run Blocking
1. Jets
2. Tennessee
3. Dallas
3. Minnesota
3. Carolina
3. New Orleans
3. Giants
8. Baltimore
9. New England
9. Atlanta

Jets, Atlanta, New Orleans seem like top lines. I would definitely put Denver in the top ten anyway or top five when healthy.

ElShay
07-27-2010, 07:00 AM
The Jets and Titans have really good lines. I think their pass blocking would be rated higher if Sanchez and Vince Young could get rid of the ball faster.

MattBer2c
07-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Bushrod won't be a problem considering Brown didn't play at all! Brown only started once...and that was during the pre-season. The guy can be great though and I hope he helps the 'skins out (thats my 2nd team behind my saints!)
Bushrod got a lot of help though, right? I remember hearing about gameplans to give his side an extra blocker to chip at anyone who gets by. I'd have to watch some games again to really tell. But either way, it worked out pretty well!

GBPKS
07-27-2010, 02:11 PM
What? No votes for Green Bay?

jaGmen
07-27-2010, 09:38 PM
Ravens prolly have the most talent, as far as best unit maybe Indy but we'll have to see how they do with Mudd gone

rxbrown86
07-28-2010, 10:35 PM
I like the Falcons as well. Polishguy00 is right on the money with his assessment. They are the best all around line in the league right now.

souza
07-28-2010, 10:55 PM
jets, saints, titans were the best three last year imo...

BayouBoys
07-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Bushrod got a lot of help though, right? I remember hearing about gameplans to give his side an extra blocker to chip at anyone who gets by. I'd have to watch some games again to really tell. But either way, it worked out pretty well!

Some games they had to because of certain players they were going up against. (examples- peppers, jared allen, etc. aka BEASTS!) That is not uncommon though. Bushrod is only going to get better. Which is scary. Scary good that is. BOO!

FootballFan
07-29-2010, 05:54 PM
As a former NFL OL I have my thoughts on who has the best group up front in the league. I would like to read your thoughts on which team has the best OL in each division and who is the best in the league and why. You guys know the game and I would be interested in your take about who excels in the trenches.

I'd have to go with Indianapolis' OL as the best overall unit, although I think Houston - believe it or not - is going to look pretty darn good this year. With everything Peyton Manning is doing - that unit in Inday has got to be sharp.

For brute strenght, I'd have to go with the Dallas Cowboys over anybody else in the league - even with losing Flozell. Some tough OL's in the NFCE though. Free has been there for a while and should step in nicely. Dallas constantly underachieve's though, and that team just won't commit to running the ball.

Out west - I don't really know in either conference. I look at teams that can move the ball though, and San Diego seems to stand out. The NFCW - Arizona I guess - but that's another division I don't know much about.

There's no doubt about Minnesota in the north, and a good argument for the Bengals and Ravens in the AFC - both teams had lines that can grind out, and Baltimore just seems to be able to pave the road year in and year out up front.

DOwn south? Carolina I think has the best OL. I think that team has needed some offensive skill power for a long time - the line has been fantastic.

FootballFan
07-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Forgot about the AFCE - Miami - no question. That group is nasty.

FootballFan
07-29-2010, 06:03 PM
I think Singletary has got a couple of top draft picks to work with in San Francisco on the OL going into this season - not sure who the vets are and who's coaching - but that might be a dark horse group to watch.

BayouBoys
08-02-2010, 12:43 AM
Carolina does have a BIG line. They love pulling 2 on some nice power runs. Pretty scary. They love doing it to the saints. yuck! haha