PDA

View Full Version : Addition by subtraction

wxwax
07-28-2011, 11:09 AM
Everyone's excited by free agent signings. It's like Christmas.

But the Washington Redskins have made a huge improvement not by adding, but by subtracting, players.

A possible pair of 6th round picks for McNabb. And a 5th round pick for Haynesworth.

But the biggest return isn't the draft picks. By dumping these two malcontents, the team dynamic has taken a dramatic change. I expect to see a harder-fighting, more unified team. It may be shy of talent in critical areas, but I expect to see a Redskins team that has a singular purpose.

That's something that's been missing for, oh, about a decade or more.

Please lord that the little Danny doesn't get a man-crush on some head-case free agent and wreck everything again.

Andy Freeland
07-28-2011, 11:42 AM
I will be very interested in the cap ramifications of the Haynesworth deal. I was convinced that the Redskins would cut or trade him last year since it was uncapped year and accelerating the huge signing bonus wouldn't hurt them. Their lack of vision may have cost them a fortune in dead money.

wxwax
07-28-2011, 11:57 AM
If you figure it out, let us know. I've always wondered how the Redskins squeezed their big money signings under the cap every year.

Andy Freeland
07-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Here's what I've found so far. I've just culled this from what I've read on the internets and extrapolated, so there's a 97% chance that it's not accurate.

Haynesworth signed a 7-year, $100M deal, but of course that's not real money. He was given a $16M signing bonus in '09 and a $21M bonus last year. But with some slick maneuvering they were able to accelerate all of the $21M into last year (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/albert-haynesworth/albert-haynesworths-21-million-1.html). So I believe they're only on the hook for remainder of the original $16M, an $11.4M cap hit this year ($16M / 7 * 5). Still dead money, but not devastating.

wxwax
07-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks. That's encouraging.

Boy, I sure am curious to see what kind of play they get at QB and offensive line this season.

ReaderM
07-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Didn't the McNabb thing spilit the lock room with the players because they weren't exactly happy with the pulling of him.It will be interesting to see how they respond if Beck or Grossman doesn't live up to the faith the coaches are putting in them. As for Hanesworth, after how divisive he was last year and the players responded to him, that is definitive as you said addiction by subtraction.

darvon
07-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Washington Redskins - They got rid of some of their past screw-ups and didn't add new screw-ups this week, so they are a clear winner.

The bar is low in DC.

wxwax
08-03-2011, 07:12 PM
It's nice to see Peter King not say mean things about the 'Skins this camp.

I am intensely curious about John Beck. In many ways Kyle Shanahan's reputation and future depend on his performance, after the Donovan McNabb fiasco. Daddy won't fire him, of course. But this will affect how the rest of the league (and possibly lil' Danny) view him when jobs open up in the future.

I also like King's observation that Tim Hightower could be a good fit in the Redskins's Denver-style cut-back running offense. Average runners churned out a lot of yards in that offense in Denver. And King says Hightower's style is a good fit.

KabaModernFan
08-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Hightower does fit the bill...he is very average.

wxwax
08-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Nice piece (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-2011-training-camp-roster-lacks-known-names/2011/08/03/gIQApHtIuI_story.html) in the Post about the no-name Redskins. Mike Wise sort of spins it as a negative. But to me, it's a huge positive. Other than MeAngelo Hall, it looks like a bunch of character guys.

They may just win enough games to screw themselves out of Andrew Luck.

wxwax
08-13-2011, 11:02 PM
As Mr. C says, ignore the pres-season.

But holy crap, the Redskins have issues at QB.

Docta
08-13-2011, 11:34 PM
Rex just has to play it safe. He has a good D, and a group of quality running backs. They'll do fine as long as he doesn't turn the ball over too much.

wxwax
08-22-2011, 01:27 AM
Watched the Skins play the Colts.

Beck looked decent.

You ever play golf? Some guys have a nice, rhythmic swing. Other guys do everything really fast. Beck is one of those fast guys. It makes him look nervous and unsettled in the pocket. But he was mostly accurate. Big arm. Not a lot of touch. He looks like an acceptable runner in the bootleg rollouts that Shanahan loves so much.

The coaches did their best to protect him. Not a single throw down the field. Everything short and medium. Lots of bootlegs. Not a single throw into the end zone, not even when they were inside the 20.

So clearly, the coaches don't have complete confidence in Beck.

But he's got to be better than Grossman. I saw too much of Grossman in Chicago. I know what he's about. And just in case I'd forgotten, he reminded me in the 4th quarter. He threw a ball right to a linebacker who was one of 3 people covering a receiver 10 yards downfield. Just an awful throw, typical Grossman inexplicable interception.

Could be a long season. Sure hope Beck can read defenses.

wxwax
08-26-2011, 04:49 PM
It's only preseason. It's only preseason. It's only preseason. It's only preseason. It's only preseason. It's only preseason.It's only preseason. It's only preseason.It's only preseason. It's only preseason.It's only preseason. It's only preseason.It's only preseason. It's only preseason.It's only preseason. It's only preseason.It's only preseason. It's only preseason.It's only preseason. It's only preseason.It's only preseason. It's only preseason.

Beck looked a lot calmer in his second outing. Happy feet were gone and overall demeanor was much more in control. He was reasonably sharp and even had a nice downfield throw. Against the backups in the 3rd Q he drove 97 yards for a TD.

Grossman looked a bit sloppy but had a really nice drive under pressure, completing a series of passes over the middle into coverage. He played well. Problem is, unlike Beck, Grossman is a know quantity. At some point he's going to throw a dreadful pick or three that makes no sense.

The first team defense was reasonably strong. Rookie #1 Ryan Kerrigan looks like he belongs. They left him out there on every down.

The offensive line is a still the team's biggest weakness, perhaps a bigger question mark than the QB. Using the Denver cut-back style, Hightower looks good and they might be able to rush a little. But pass protection was overwhelmed at times by Baltimore's blitzing. Could be they'll need 2 QB's if they don't improve protection.

Still, an encouraging first ha;f against a tough opponent.

wxwax
08-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Oh, and even Gruden was moved to comment on the new sense of team spirit.

Wordsworth
08-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Tim Hightower can be a contributor but if Skins fans think he will be a feature back and a game changer then they're mistaken. He has ball security issues (10 fumbles the past 2 seasons), lacks power, and is not a great runner between the tackles. There are reasons why he was on a timeshare in Arizona.

wxwax
08-29-2011, 03:57 AM
Fumbling's bad, no question about it. The other two issues aren't such a big deal in a cut-back running game.

wxwax
09-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Word is Rex Grossman gets the start. I'm surprised. he definitely had his moments in the pre-season. But the Redskins will have zero margin for error this season. And the one thing you can guarantee is that Grossman will toss a stupid pick. He has a long track record in the NFL and I don't see that he's changed.

I suspect that whoever starts the first game at QB may not be the same guy who's playing at the end of the season.

wxwax
09-13-2011, 12:37 PM
“The one thing that’s been nice is this environment, this coaching staff, the players — I mean, it’s the best I’ve ever seen in my career,” Chris Cooley said (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/london-fletcher-on-redskins-its-really-a-team-now/2011/09/12/gIQAJp2LNK_story.html). “It reminds me almost of like a high school locker room — guys are playing for each other.

“And I haven’t seen that since high school. To see a bunch of guys excited to be around each other every day that play for each other.”

Andy Freeland
09-13-2011, 01:46 PM
I said it before, this is a weak year for the NFC East. Giants are beat up and not great if healthy. Cowboys played well this week, but have major issues at DB and OL. Eagles look to run away with it, but I still think there's a good chance they'll crash and burn at some point, especially if Vick gets banged up and starts throwing the ball to the other team. I'm not saying the Redskins will win the division, I would be really shocked if they did, but they should be competitive and 2nd place isn't out of the question.

wxwax
09-14-2011, 02:54 PM
I tend to agree, Andy. The Cowboys may be decent. Philly has big issues in the OL. Vick will surely be injured.

For me, this is about the Redskins more than it is the opposition. It's just nice to finally have an actual team on the field, not a bunch of over-paid drama queens. It's clear the 'Skins will lose their share. The o-line is a problem and the QB is going to cough it up. But the defense is stout and as long as the offense doesn't fall apart, it should keep them in games.

For the first time in a long time, I actually like the players and am enjoying cheering for them. What a pleasant change.

wxwax
10-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Pinch me.

First place in the NFC East after 4 games. Tie me to a pig and roll me in the mud. Cut my legs off and call me shorty.

Blimey.

wxwax
10-11-2011, 09:46 PM
I can think of about 25 teams I'd rather see next weekend instead of the Eagles. They're a talented and desperate team. It's going to be a ferocious game.

msclemons
10-11-2011, 09:56 PM
I can think of about 25 teams I'd rather see next weekend instead of the Eagles. They're a talented and desperate team. It's going to be a ferocious game.

Whichever RB that fantasy killing bastard Shanahan decides to start will feast on the Eagles' soft, soft belly. Orakpo and Kerrigan will harrass Vick. The biggest concern is the Skins corners vs. Jackson and Maclin. Those little guys are fast and can turn a game around in one play.

If the Redskins play keep away with the run game and prevent the big plays they'll be fine.

GoBigOrGoHome
10-11-2011, 09:58 PM
And Andy Reid is often lauded for his record coming off bye weeks. But the Shanarat is not too shabby (10-5, I think) coming out of an off week.

wxwax
10-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Kerrigan is turning out to be a fantastic player. Great draft pick.

Andy Freeland
10-12-2011, 12:37 AM
Kerrigan is turning out to be a fantastic player. Great draft pick.

Kerrigan was among my least favorite players in this draft. I thought he played too small. Example #93,472 of why I'm not an NFL scout.

wxwax
10-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Subtraction by subtraction.

Left guard out for the season. Left tackle (and #1 pick) out for an extended period.

And now Tim Hightower lost for the season.

This was a team operating on defensive talent and togetherness. It's not a deep team, especially on offense, and in particular on the o-line. There could be some long Sundays ahead for Redskins fans.

wxwax
10-26-2011, 01:00 AM
More subtraction by subtraction.

Chris Cooley out for the year. Santana Moss for 7 weeks or so.

I see a lot of struggles ahead.

Pruitt
10-26-2011, 09:48 AM
Yikes. Looks like the redskins have surpassed the Giants as the most banged up team in the division.

On a positive note, Cooley, Moss and Hightower now have more time to enjoy Toronto's strip joints - reputed to be the best in North America.

wxwax
12-07-2011, 04:57 PM
As the thread starting post indicates, I had had high hopes that the Redskins had finally developed some character and a team ethic.

High indeed.

Two key players are suspended for doping. Recreational drugs, apparently. Tight end Fred Davis, having a career year. And 1st round pick Trent Williams. Both were caught in the off-season and were too stupid and too selfish to change their ways.

So much for character. So much for team ethic. The days of the unity and professionalism of Joe Gibbs' first term seem very, very far away.