PDA

View Full Version : Albert and Ocho, my take

Amy
07-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Wow, what a day! We got better, and the Jets lose Brad Smith to the Bills. Let me give my take on both deals.

Haynesworth. When I first saw this, I was stunned. Shocked. I thought BB had lost it.

But, over the day I've analyzed. And it's *all* upside.

First, we paid a 5 in 2013. Not next year, the year after. Second, he signed a new 2 year deal, worth a total of 12 point something million with *zero*!!!! guaranteed. In other words, there is no risk. If he's Redskins Albert, he's gone for peanuts. I'd trade a 5 for a player of his caliber every day.

But Amy, you say, he tanked on the 3-4 in DC. You play a 3-4. Well, yes. (Really, we play both, but 3-4 is the base). But, let's look at DC. First, he was brought in to play the end in DC in the 4-3. When Shanny came in, Shanny changed to a 3-4 and wanted Albert to play nose. Albert didn't like that, and it's not what he signed up for. So, he took a 'tude. Not professional, I agree. But, what did Shanny do? He made it worse. If you ask me, Shanny is the worst coach to win a Super Bowl. He comes across as a total *expletive deleted* :) (Fill in your word of choice!!)

But, in Foxboro Wilfork is the nose. And the best in the league. Which means Albert is at the end. What does he do there? Pass Rush. What did we lack last year? Pass Rush.

So - if it goes bad, we're out a 5th. In 2013. Not even next year. If it goes well, it *could* be a Super Bowl. Given that risk #1 (Dillion) was a SB championsip and risk #2 (Moss) would have beem 19-0 if Samuel catches perfection, I think it's very very very very very very worth the chance.

Now for Ocho.

Before I start, I'd rather have Moss. Not cause I don't like Ocho, I adore Chad, but because I think Randy offers more. I'd rather have T.O or Plex. Because, again, I think they are better.

That said. Wow! Just wow! 2 late round picks - one this year, one next for Ochocinco?? Now, Chad's not a #1, that's given, but in Foxboro, he doesn't need to be. We have Welker, and Branch, and Aaron, and Gronk. And the younglings at wideout. And Crumpler. And Danny and the Lawfirm in the backfield. Ocho doesn't have to carry the load.

And Ocho is just cool. I *like* Chad as a person. I think he's funny, and enjoyable to listen to. Sure, he's a prima donna, but what the heck is wrong with an entertainer entertaining. If Ocho helps us get another ring, I'd be happy for him.

So, as a Pats fan, I think we've had a good day.

hassan812
07-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Agree w/ everything you said except that you'd rather have Moss. I think Rand proved his worthor lack there of last year and I don't think anybody would be shocked if he doesn't even find a team this year. Anyways, go Pats!

Amy
07-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Agree w/ everything you said except that you'd rather have Moss. I think Rand proved his worthor lack there of last year and I don't think anybody would be shocked if he doesn't even find a team this year. Anyways, go Pats!

Last year was partly on BB and Mr. Kraft. Just like with Mankins. Both guys wanted new deals. Both guys deserved them. And the team likely realizes that by how fast they gave Logan love after the lockout. I love having Ocho, I think he's great. But, put Randy on the outside and the other teams best CB has to be there. And, often, a safety over the top. Ocho doesn't bring that. At least as far as I can see. If he ends up doing that, that makes today even greater.

Andy Freeland
07-28-2011, 08:22 PM
Chad and Albert are lavish gift bags at the Oscars, something for nothing to the already rich. I have no idea how Belichick keeps doing that.

ReaderM
07-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Chad and Albert are lavish gift bags at the Oscars, something for nothing to the already rich. I have no idea how Belichick keeps doing that.

By being the Don and telling everyone to Kiss his Rings that's how.Bill sometimes gets props for things he really shouldn't in many aspects but there isn't a better trader out there in the NFL.

iwatt
07-29-2011, 10:19 AM
By being the Don and telling everyone to Kiss his Rings that's how.Bill sometimes gets props for things he really shouldn't in many aspects but there isn't a better trader out there in the NFL.

The horse head in Dan Snyder's apartment was a little over the top though

Ripperlicious
07-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Let's all just wait for the season to play out before we start annointing the Hoodie once again. Remember, you guys haven't won a playoff game in ages. Don't you guys always complain how the media gives the Yankees the World Series trophy in the offseason? Well, you gotta go through Green Bay to get the Lombardi Trophy.

markpmac
07-29-2011, 12:40 PM
While true that nobody wins championships in the preseason, nobody is "anointing the Hoodie" over these deals. Simply stated, they are no risk / high reward deals with no downside - especially with Haynesworth. From what I understand, none of his $ this year is guaranteed. If he's a problem, they cut him. End of story. I don't see Ocho having the same potential for trouble as AH. He's got too much respect for Belichick. That's no secret.

Andy Freeland
07-29-2011, 01:58 PM
Let's all just wait for the season to play out before we start annointing the Hoodie once again. Remember, you guys haven't won a playoff game in ages. Don't you guys always complain how the media gives the Yankees the World Series trophy in the offseason? Well, you gotta go through Green Bay to get the Lombardi Trophy.

There's one big difference, the yankees, as we all know, are evil.

While true that nobody wins championships in the preseason, nobody is "anointing the Hoodie" over these deals. Simply stated, they are no risk / high reward deals with no downside - especially with Haynesworth. From what I understand, none of his $ this year is guaranteed. If he's a problem, they cut him. End of story. I don't see Ocho having the same potential for trouble as AH. He's got too much respect for Belichick. That's no secret.

Welcome to FP.

I don't think anyone is doing any annointing here. We're evaluating off-season moves, it's all we have right now. Tough to argue with what the Pats have done so far. As markpmac says, they've gotten talented players that have issues, but they've gotten them for almost nothing and have little or no financial risk. If the talent outweighs the issues then they stay, if not they go.

iwatt
07-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Yup, the Pats overachieved last year with a young defense. The overachieving came behind one of the most impressive streaks without throwing a pick we've seen in a long time. Mistake free football can compensate for lack of talent on the other side of the ball. Of course, it is difficult to expect another run of 9-1 TD/INT ratio, but I really like the Haynesworth deal. If anybody can get Fat Albert to work hard in games, it's the same guy who got LT to work hard in games.

darvon
07-29-2011, 05:30 PM

And your point is???

http://rumorsandrants.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/bill-belichick.jpg

iwatt
07-29-2011, 05:33 PM
I like this one

http://cache.blippitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Return-of-the-Jet-I.jpg

Ripperlicious
07-29-2011, 05:59 PM

Welcome to FP.

I don't think anyone is doing any annointing here. We're evaluating off-season moves, it's all we have right now. Tough to argue with what the Pats have done so far. As markpmac says, they've gotten talented players that have issues, but they've gotten them for almost nothing and have little or no financial risk. If the talent outweighs the issues then they stay, if not they go.

I know Andy. I've been glued to the TV for NFL news lately and it's wearing on me how the Patriots have already "won" the off-season, according to ESPN and other outlets. As a non-fan of the Patriots, I just like to get my digs in when I can.

darvon
07-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Philly did well.

Houston is interesting.

Lions need a little more...

Seattle looks like problems.

SF, maybe next year.

Andy Freeland
07-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Philly did well.

Houston is interesting.

Lions need a little more...

Seattle looks like problems.

SF, maybe next year.

The Seahawks gave $8M to Alan Branch and his 3 career starts. They're spending money like a drunken Hilton.

brauneyz
07-29-2011, 06:33 PM
I know Andy. I've been glued to the TV for NFL news lately and it's wearing on me how the Patriots have already "won" the off-season, according to ESPN and other outlets. As a non-fan of the Patriots, I just like to get my digs in when I can.

And believe me, we recognize it each and every time. :p

Bengals1181
07-29-2011, 06:40 PM

The Bengals, and Bengals fans, are just happy to be rid of Chad. The Bengals were going to cut him anyway, so what they got was probably fine by them.

Amy
07-29-2011, 08:00 PM
The Bengals, and Bengals fans, are just happy to be rid of Chad. The Bengals were going to cut him anyway, so what they got was probably fine by them.

Yes. This hits the nail perfectly. The deal here was good for both teams. Bengals got some value for Chad, and they did need to move him.

wxwax
07-31-2011, 04:00 AM
Not seen a lot of chatter hear about Haynesworth being held out of practice. Regardless of the reason (and it's not contractual) he's already become a distraction.

Amy
07-31-2011, 09:55 PM
Not seen a lot of chatter hear about Haynesworth being held out of practice. Regardless of the reason (and it's not contractual) he's already become a distraction.

He was held out of one practice. That's not a distraction. He practiced today.

wxwax
08-10-2011, 12:10 AM
He was held out of one practice. That's not a distraction. He practiced today.

He didn't practice today. He didn't practice yesterday. He didn't practice the day before that. He didn't practice the day before that, either.

4 days in a row, reportedly. Belichick's keeping it low key. But obviously Haynesworth is too fat to practice.

They still have a month to get this toad into shape. My question is, when does he become not worth the effort?

Pruitt
08-10-2011, 11:43 AM
The Patriots have invested very little in haynesworth. As long as he's making strides, they'll bring him along. But if he pulls anything like he did in Washington, he'll be a Raider before the next sundown.

wxwax
08-10-2011, 11:01 PM
5 in a row for Fat Albert.

Do you sense that I'm rooting for him to fail?