PDA

View Full Version : America's SuperBowl Picks?

thephaze
07-28-2010, 01:29 AM
Every year it seems like there are certain 'band-wagon'
teams that people start the season talking about.

Sometimes its because of hype, free agents, a good draft,
coaching changes, or an 'easy' schedule.

Who are the most hyped teams so far going into the season?

I'm hearing a lot of talk about the Jets.

Also the Cowboys are getting plenty of cover stories (SI).

I've seen a couple of 'experts' picking the Ravens as well.

Thoughts?

msclemons
07-28-2010, 03:10 AM
If I were betting money in Vegas I'd say Cowboys - Ravens superbowl with the Cowboys winning. In the NFC I think the Superbowl hangover will hit the Saints and the Vikings won't catch lightning in the bottle two years in a row. In the AFC I think the Ravens simply have the most powerful team. In the superbowl the Cowboys have too many playmakers on both sides of the ball for the Ravens to match.

Of course, this is the NFL so the superbowl could end up being Falcons-Dolphins and I will look like a complete idiot. That's why I love the NFL.

sabre
07-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Since the Cowboys call themselves America's team they will be the choice in the NFC. The Colts and Manning seemed to be loved by America as well. So Colts-Boys would probably be the lowest vegas odds in my opinion.

FLPackerFan
07-28-2010, 09:35 AM
I am going to be a homer and pick my Packers to play the Ravens.

Ravens vs. Packers

GBPKS
07-28-2010, 10:46 AM
The Cowboys and the Jets are the two hype teams from the respective conferences, and I would say my Packers and the Ravens would be right behind them as "chic" picks.

I was drinking the Raven Kool-Aid earlier in the summer but the health of their secondary and now the injury to Sergio Kindle coupled with the improvement of the Bengals by signing TO is giving me a little bit of pause.

I still like the Falcons as a dark horse in the NFC, and I think the Patriots are kind of flying under the radar in the AFC.

walzav31
07-28-2010, 12:16 PM
I automatically take the Cowboys and Chargers off the list due to Norv Turner and Wade Phillips. Ben's issues and Welker's knee along with a lack of runnning threat take them down the list. The Bengals and Colts are the front runners in the AFC, and the question is can Cincinnati get the pressure needed on Manning? The Dolphins will be coming fast. The Saints look good, but it's so hard to repeat. I could see the Giants coming back and surprise. Packers will be right there. I don't see Favre matching last years performance. It always changes year to year. I'm leaning towards
Cincinnati Bengals vs New York Giants

Darren83
07-28-2010, 12:23 PM
No team is getting more publicity than the Jets right now. Somebody in the PR department probably leaked the T.O. to the Jets story yesterday so they could get one day's worth of headlines. The Cowboys have been getting their share due to early training camp and Super Bowl host/possible playoff game.

One team that is flying under the radar is the Giants. Coughlin made an excellent hire in new DC Perry Fewell, who is installing a Tampa-2. New addition Keith Bulluck as mike backer looks like a solid signing for $2.5M per. On the offensive side, Manning still has a top-5 O-line to protect and block for Jacobs/Bradshaw. Steve Smith had a breakout year at WR and Hakeem Nicks is a developing red zone threat. I could see this team picking up steam as the season moves along.

section124
07-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Hey Darren you stole my thunder, but you are right the giants are prime for a run once again its a good day to be a Giants Fan!

nate2588
07-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Jets vs Cowboys. With the Jets taking home the Lombardi trophy.

walzav31
07-28-2010, 12:45 PM
I think losing Faneca and Jones will be bigger than you think. They were key to that whole grind it out mentality. DC's have a whole offseason to study Sanchez, and the lights are shining bright on the Jets. 7-9

giantsfan97
07-28-2010, 12:49 PM
My pick is whichever good team has the least injuries vs. whichever good team has the 2nd least injuries.

kotar44
07-28-2010, 02:36 PM
As a Giant fan its nice to see all the G-Men love, but I'm a bit pessimistic about their chances, even though I already placed my bet on them in LV. I really like the Falcons to bounce back, and I'll take the Colts again until someone can knock them off. I also have some $$$ on the Jets missing the playoffs entirely, and if I could find someone to book Ryan being gone within 2 years I'd get some money on that as well.

section124
07-28-2010, 04:09 PM
kotar great post. i think we have a bounce back year i think we are hungry it all comes down to health as usual so we just have to cross our fingers. i agree with your jets points completely 6-10 no better, qb stinks old RB and unproven RB a star wide out who cant catch and a second who is going to miss the first 4 games. dont get me wrong that D is good but they still dont have anyone who can rush the passer off the edge. another 20 interception season out of sanchez and this team is doomed

Tinindian
07-28-2010, 06:18 PM
I automatically take the Cowboys and Chargers off the list due to Norv Turner and Wade Phillips.

Yep, don't think much of either of those 2 as head coaches. Great Coordinators.

After consulting the tea leaves, I am going with Ravens vs Packers.

DM138385
07-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Jets vs Cowboys. With the Jets taking home the Lombardi trophy.

Are you a Jets fan or do you work for the FOX network ?

DannyMilk
07-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Colts-Vikings for me

GiantsFaninToronto
07-28-2010, 11:16 PM
I would not be shocked to see a Saints and Colts redux.

But I have a feeling that Minnesota and Baltimore is the pick if Favre plays. Green Bay will represent the NFC if he doesn't.

codysmart
07-29-2010, 02:14 AM
Packers and Jets seem to be the hyped-by-media teams. I can see the Packers doing well and the Jets not even making the playoffs.
I think the SB matchup will be a Manning Bros Colts vs Giants.

thephaze
07-29-2010, 01:30 PM
My pick is whichever good team has the least injuries vs. whichever good team has the 2nd least injuries.

Thats a pretty pessimistic view of the NFL.

Eli isn't the same QB without Plaxico.

GBPKS
07-29-2010, 02:04 PM

It's actually a pretty realistic view (and one that will only become more real if we get the so-called "enhanced" season) - the NFL is a war of attrition.

The teams we are evaluating right now on paper are not the same teams that will be deciding things on the field in January and February. Every team in the NFL has injuries, but it's also a matter of where you have them. The Packers were victimized last year by a rash of injuries in the secondary and had guys they picked up off the street in December trying to cover Larry Fitzgerald in a playoff game.

Obviously, if the Colts lose Peyton Manning or the Packers lose Aaron Rodgers, their Super Bowl dreams are over.

Colts01
07-29-2010, 02:14 PM

going strictly by his numbers he was actually a little better then the super bowl year

2007 with plax for a full season
att comp. comp% yds td Int.
529 297 56.1 3336 23 20

2010 no plax.
att comp comp% yds. td int
509 317 62.3% 4021 27 14

Bunghole
07-29-2010, 02:28 PM
Lions v Browns. Mark it down!

GiantsFaninToronto
07-29-2010, 03:29 PM
Disagree. By a lot. I daresay he's better off having guys to spread the wealth around.

Tinindian
07-29-2010, 04:19 PM
Got it! Lions v Browns in the superbowl, Feb 2036.

Thanks!

Bunghole
07-29-2010, 08:12 PM
Got it! Lions v Browns in the superbowl, Feb 2036.

Thanks!

LOL, not even then!

jaGmen
07-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Vikings vs. Bills. And both will somehow manage to lose!

Just kidding, right now I see the Packers and Chargers making it (but training camp is just starting and preseason hasn't started mind you). In the AFC it's all about who matches up with who. The Chargers own the Colts, the Colts own the Ravens, and yet the Ravens own the Chargers. It's just a matter of who plays who when. The Jets won't get as far as last season because this year they are the hunted, not the hunter. Ravens could do it, Bengals are certainly a complete team with TO, Colts always a threat, and we wait on SD to finally get to the big one.

Dallas can make it, Minnesota certainly can, Green Bay is likely the best with a good o-line, Saints are gonna fall this year, Falcons don't have enough D. Don't sleep on the Giants. They've had wheels come off the last 2 years, but they are a threat if they keep everything together

rxbrown86
07-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Steelers vs. Packers

giantsfan97
07-29-2010, 09:36 PM

I meant my statement to be pretty tongue-in-cheek but I do think that injuries are such a huge factor that it's nigh impossible to pick a Super Bowl matchup.

And I'll echo what others already said by stating that Eli had his best statistical season last year. The Giants defense and running game let the team down.

BubbaLove
07-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Lions v Browns. Mark it down!

I'll be wearing blue and silver on that day.

RogerH
07-30-2010, 02:14 PM
I think we may be due for another Steelers / Cowboys SuperBowl. In Dallas.

mattpett
07-30-2010, 03:39 PM
How great would a Bengals-Cowboys Superbowl be. You would have the circus on media day of T.O and Ochocinco, and T.O would be playing against his old team in their stadium.

giantsfan97
07-30-2010, 04:58 PM
How great would a Bengals-Cowboys Superbowl be. You would have the circus on media day of T.O and Ochocinco, and T.O would be playing against his old team in their stadium. I gotta say this idea makes me NOT want to watch the Super Bowl. Has there ever been more self-love concentrated in one area before? Please nobody respond to that with a NSFW link.

rxbrown86
08-03-2010, 12:07 AM
Steelers vs. Packers, mark it down. Sorry Bengals fans!

Chompurself
08-03-2010, 05:17 AM
So did Drew Brees retire?.........no??....ok Well I'm very unimpressed with the NFC so I'm gonna pick the Saints vs Ravens in the Superbowl.....

Pruitt
08-03-2010, 08:40 AM
Today, I'm thinking Chargers-Falcons.

IndyColtsFan
08-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Minnesota vs Indy- -- if Favre leaves then San Francisco vs Colts

other sleepers: Patriots, Miami, Carolina, Chicago

Alex
08-05-2010, 12:52 PM
I am going to be a homer and pick my Packers to play the Ravens.

Ravens vs. Packers

Thanks for the vote of confidence...hope to see your packers at the Bowl!

I'm gonna err on the side of caution tho and go Colts - Ravens in the AFC Championship but the Colts win to face the Vikings and Favre in the Bowl! How epic would that be?

RSConn5
08-05-2010, 01:11 PM
In the next couple of years i want to see the Colts vs. Giants in a Manning Bowl Super Bowl. But this year im thinking the favorites should be the Vikings and the Colts.

jaGmen
08-10-2010, 12:45 AM
I'm changing my AFC team to Pittsburgh. They are a team nobody is talking about and when nobody focuses on them they strike. Lest I remind you they have the best D in the league and get Ben back after 6. Everyone talking about Baltimore and Cincy and NYJ right now...look out

GoBigOrGoHome
08-10-2010, 01:29 AM
I'm changing my AFC team to Pittsburgh. They are a team nobody is talking about and when nobody focuses on them they strike. Lest I remind you they have the best D in the league and get Ben back after 6. Everyone talking about Baltimore and Cincy and NYJ right now...look out

From a thread a few weeks ago: http://footballproslive.com/showthread.php/138-NFC-NORTH-AFC-NORTH-Predictions?highlight=north+predictions

Agree 100% on the Steelers. Look at their history. Bad 2009 equals strong showing in 2010. Like death & taxes. Just the way it is.

KabaModernFan
08-10-2010, 01:15 PM
IF Favre comes back I'm tempted to say Minnesota vs. New England. If Favre does retire then I think I would replace the Vikings with the Cowboys.

Pruitt
08-10-2010, 04:30 PM
My brother in law was just in Vegas and he put down a small bet for me on my "July hunch" the Falcons.

I think that the last time my preseason hunch won the Super Bowl was the Cowboys in Dorsett's rookie year.

DannyMilk
08-10-2010, 05:48 PM
I was about to say, I'm talking about them haha...I hope that doesn't jinx them though

rxbrown86
01-24-2011, 07:21 PM
Steelers vs. Packers
Uh oh! I hate to say I told you so, but I did. Stay tuned, I have some thoughts to share with you all soon. As the great philosopher Terrell Owens once said, "get your popcorn ready!"

KabaModernFan
01-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Uh oh! I hate to say I told you so, but I did. Stay tuned, I have some thoughts to share with you all soon. As the great philosopher Terrell Owens once said, "get your popcorn ready!"

Self-promotion is the mating call of the mute button.

Pruitt
01-24-2011, 08:16 PM

Very impressive.

Almost as good as my Vikings-Ravens call.

GoBigOrGoHome
01-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Self-promotion is the mating call of the mute button.

Thank you, Tony Reali.

darvon
01-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, Your Superbowl Champions....

SuperBowl WINNERS!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjUh5GbqMxI)

msclemons
01-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, Your Superbowl Champions....

That video is so bogus. Caldwell moved; I mean come on man!

darvon
01-24-2011, 09:05 PM
It is so accurate! It is just the way I see it when I dream....

Colts01
01-24-2011, 09:28 PM
That video is so bogus. Caldwell moved; I mean come on man!

Damn CGI putting actors out of work!

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f369/djerc7/funny_homeless_signs_7.jpg

Andy Freeland
01-24-2011, 11:35 PM

Give the dude credit, he said it in July.

GoBigOrGoHome
01-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Props. Mad props.