PDA

View Full Version : Polarizing Quarterback Class of 2010

mkocs6
07-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Has anyone else noticed that the incoming quarterback class has produced really strong opinions from fans and scouts alike?

Who do you think will succeed out of the four (Bradford, Tebow, Clausen, McCoy)? Who's going to crash and burn?

Sam Bradford was the consensus, obvious #1, but he ran a spread and didn't know how to fall correctly at Oklahoma.

Is Tim Tebow Superman, or is he going to spell the doom of Josh McDaniels?

Jimmy Clausen is like Heineken: those who like him, like him a lot. I don't.

Colt McCoy has been beaten up on NFL Network over height, arm strength, and even accuracy (despite a 70.6% completion rate at Texas!). Is he the quarterback with the most to prove, and can he do it in Cleveland?

Pruitt
07-28-2010, 09:45 AM
Of the four, I have a sneaky feeling that Tebow will make the most impact. Not saying he'll be great, but Bradford's had (I believe) two shoulder surgeries and is in danger of being thrown into the fire in St. Louis, and Claussen just has Mirer written all over him.

And Colt McCoy is in Cleveland.

mjchefer
07-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Agree, one of the four will surprise people this year, my money is on Tebow too. McCoy to Cleveland has recipe for failure written all over it.

GBPKS
07-28-2010, 10:43 AM
I think McCoy ended up in the best situation, because he is absolutely not going to see one snap this season and will get a chance to learn behind two reasonable veteran QBs.

Bradford is going to end up thrown into the fire behind a terrible Ram offensive line and get killed. In fact, if I were Bradford I might intentionally hold out for a few weeks just to make sure the Rams don't start me on Opening Day.

Clausen is in a real tough situation - he had another rookie QB drafted in the same class, and as Brian Brohm found out on the Packers - just because you were drafted first doesn't mean you're going to be higher on the depth chart. Matt Flynn outplayed Brohm in two straight preseasons and Brohm ended up out of town. Tony Pike could conceivably do the same thing to Jimmy Clausen. Plus, he has a lame duck coach in John Fox who probably won't spend the time to groom him.

Tebow is going to be a novelty act this year, and he is the most polarizing of the four quarterbacks. He was such a hero in college and nobody really expects him to do much in the pros as a quarterback. He is going to run some snaps this year and I'm sure McDaniels has a whole package for him.

If we're talking long-term success, I would put my money on McCoy, but overall I think this is a generally weak crop of quarterbacks.

ReaderM
07-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Honestly, I have no faith in this QB class at all..in what was arguably the deepest draft class in year, you had QB's all over falling all across the board and if it wasn't for McDaniel going against the grain in a highly debated move only 1 QB would of been taken in the first 40 picks.

I think Bradford would of had the potential to be good but is going to be rushed out onto the field early in St.Louis and coming back from those shoulder surgeries is going be killed behind their line. In Carolina, Clausen is going in as the legitimate #3 QB and has to first prove he can beat out Hunter Caldwell before he can think about challenging Moore. Tebow, while nobody will work harder then him is still at least 2 years from being rebuilt as a NFL QB and finally in Cleveland, I don't think they really view McCoy as anything more then a potential long term back-up. I think it's the class of 2011 headline by Jake Locker, Andrew Luck, Ryan Mallett & Christian Ponder that you will see multiple QB's taken in the first round again.

Darren83
07-28-2010, 11:47 AM
As a Bills fan, I was happy to see my team draft other needs besides one of these QBs. I have doubts whether Clausen's ball can cut through the wind of Orchard Park. On McCoy, Cleveland is doing the right thing and bringing him along slowly, but he sure looked slight at Gruden's QB Camp.

ReaderM mentions the seemingly talented and deep 2011 class. That is when I'd like to see the Bills make the selection.

Polishguy00
07-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Look, anything is possible and the unpredictability of the league is what makes it great. The 50% playoff turnover EVERY recent year makes it great. This class is not one I have a ton of hope for.

-#4: I think our friend from Notre Dame has the least chance to succeed. It is a weird situation with two QBS drafted by the team and it is a team in a bit of a transition and has a quarterback that was hot at the end of last season. I do not see how it is not Matt Moore's job to lose. That being said, Golden Jimmy ran an offense with some pro terminology and could be in the right situation if he is groomed to be a Jake Plummer-type. The ball control offense there may help and the play-action and roll-out could make it so that he only has to read half the field and make things easier. Having an athlete like Steve Smith come down with even your errant deep throws has got to help with confidence. Even though many do not like John Fox, I actually think he is not a bad coach at all.

-#3: Second-least to succeed is Sam Bradford. I don't care that he added 15 lbs. of muscle. I do care that he looks like he can make most of the throws and is accurate. One huge problem, though, is the surgeries and that shoulder. That shoulder makes me very scared. If his shoulder cannot take the hit from a college lineman that did not look too abnormal in terms of how he contacted the ground, how is it going to do with a really fast fat guy on it? Without the shoulder issues, I would have put him as most likely to succeed. I feel about him as I do about 1,000 carry college running backs. No sir, I don't like it. Damn, another thing I need to do research on is if there is any validity to that theory.

-#2: Anyway, on to Tebow. It is sad that I have to put the best H-back of the draft on the list as the #2 quarterback most likely to succeed. It is sad that I have to hear at least three more years of his name even if he busts. What isn't sad is the fact that he is a tireless worker and really has all those good things about him that we hear about. He has about the same chance of having a Big Ben moment as we have seeing the entire world population of women becoming completely sane at the same exact second. Maybe that's what the Mayans were really talking about. Anyway, because he is smart and blah blah blah; he has some chance to succeed, even at quarterback.

-#1: Colt McCoy has the best chance to succeed. Most throws have an air distance of 35 yards or less (I think) and I scoff at anything about how bad a guy's arm is until he actually plays in the league. If Charlie Frye can start as many games as he has in his career, then Colt McCoy can certainly get a chance. BTW, Charlie Frye is the answer to the question of "What do you get when a quarterback has everything you want except that his arm is a lot like Jim Miller's was when it was all torn up?" Chuck has what is known as a boomerang arm. Once the air flow catches it, it might come back. Colt McCoy has the best of the Best Case Scenarios which to learn from a veteran leader like Jake Delhomme and a veteran QB guy like Mike Holmgren. He even has a good to above-average line in front of him. He can sit out a year or two and get into the game when he actually knows the system. He could have a rise like Carson Palmer did. Now, if Delhomme has 10INT in 4 games to begin the year, all bets are off.

theshow47
07-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Just because Colt McCoy completed 70% of his passes in college that doesnt neccessarily translate to accuracy in an NFL offense. We all watch McCoy take every snap out of shoutgun and roll out and make short throws. When Texas played teams that had enough talent to expose the Texas offensive line Colt lost effectiveness. With that said I like the fit on a west coast offense. He's going to have to learn how to take 3, 5 and 7 step drops and read the entire field. Instead of reading 1/2 the field he will have to go through progressions that span the field.

Tim Tebow is a gimmicky player for his rookie year. In the SEC Tebow was able play power back due to fact that almost all SEC defenses now employ small fast linebackers to stop the spread offense. In the NFL he wont have a 6-2 220 pound linebacker meeting him in the hole he'll have a 6-3 250 pound man. As for his ability to throw the football, the man was no longer successful on offense with Percy Havin on the Vikings.

Sam Bradford is a product of the Air Raid Offense. Mike Leach used to be the O coordinator for Bob Stoops because Bob Stoops always thought that Mike Leach's offense was the hardest thing to game plan for. After Leach left for Texas Tech Stoops has continued to hire or promote Leach decendents. OU still uses the same route combinations they used when Leach was there. So as far as I'm concered the best thing that ever could have happened to Sam Bradford was getting injured his junior year. In doing so there was less game tape and not as much over analysing, otherwise teams could worry about this offense making Jason White look good too.

I loved Jimmy Clausen coming out of college. This guy got punched in the mouth every game because of his horrible O-line and he was productive. Heck he led countless 4th quarter comebacks, the other 3 qbs on this list cant say that. Also he played in a pro style offense, once again the other 3 qbs did not. His teams had less talent than half of his opposition. People look at what he did at 18 when he showed up in south bend in a limo and his high school league title rings on (when he played in high school California didnt have a state champion) to declair he was going. He was humbled since then, his college career didnt go accourding to plan (he promised 4 heismans). If everyone was judged by what they did at 18 we all wouldnt be able to get our first job

DaBearsFan
07-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Here's how I look at all the QB situation

Bradford is a legit player in a horrible situation. I worry that by the time he is done, it's a case of "played too early and became shell-shocked". I liked his skills in college and think those skills translate well (even in the spread), but I don't like the team he is on at all. But, if his team does turn things around, he'll be great.

Tebow is a guy who I think will be one of those guys who will stick around as a career backup for a while and maybe get some chances at times, but ultimately will never be able to reproduce his college greatness. His skills just don't translate well to the pros.

Clausen is going to be a boom-or-bust QB. He will either end up as a great QB or out of the league in a few years. If I had to choose, I'd go with star because I actually like Carolina's situation right now and think he can make all the throws, as well as he had some good years the last couple. But, I wouldn't bet too hard on that, because I see a bit of Rex Grossman in him.

McCoy is the anti-Clausen to me. I think that the worst case scenario for him is Chad Pennington 2.0 (which, Pennington was solid for a few years and led some good teams to the playoffs. Never killed his team). At best, however, he is going to be a borderline All-star QB for a lot of years that will win you a few and won't kill you, but isn't an elite guy (to throw out a name Carson Palmer post-knee surgery).

kotar44
07-28-2010, 02:30 PM
Funny, it doesn't seem very polarizing here. Most seem to agree there is no guaranteed star in the bunch, and most of the high profile guys have more questions attached to them than answers at this point. I still don't get the Tebow love...yea, hard worker, blah blah blah. The day a team plays a QB that can't throw because he works hard is still pretty far off. And as for him having a Big Ben moment, just remember how good a guy Todd Marinovich was in college, and he keeps getting busted for buying heroin on the beaches of L.A. these days.

msclemons
07-29-2010, 12:39 AM
Funny, it doesn't seem very polarizing here.

That's because smart people post here. It was a subpar QB class much like 2005. The only reason the Rams took Bradford was they had to take a QB. I wonder if we'll get an Aaron Rogers type surprise guy from this years batch?

Colts01
07-29-2010, 12:49 AM
That's because smart people post here. It was a subpar QB class much like 2005. The only reason the Rams took Bradford was they had to take a QB. I wonder if we'll get an Aaron Rogers type surprise guy from this years batch?
somewhere 6 to 8 weeks leading up to the draft it changed ,I recall Suh was a lock at number 1 for awhile

msclemons
07-29-2010, 12:52 AM
somewhere 6 to 8 weeks leading up to the draft it changed ,I recall Suh was a lock at number 1 for awhile

I think that was the Rams blowing smoke trying to trade down from the #1 pick.

mkocs6
07-29-2010, 01:48 AM
The Rams were also buried under previous drafts. They used their #2 on Jason Smith (T) in 2009, but drafted Chris Long (DE) at #2 in '08 and Adam Carriker (DT) at #12 in 2007. It's got to be hard to use three out of your last four picks (all of them in the top 12, three of them in the top 2) on defensive linemen.