PDA

View Full Version : Ugliest Helmets

Pruitt
07-28-2010, 11:12 AM
No, I won't include the Browns'. To me, it's pure, understated elegance.

There are a lot of bad logos and/or colour choices, but these are the worst:

Bengals - looks like it was designed by a kindergarten class
Jaguars - nice tongue
Bills - should never have changed from the classic
Pats - very 80's
Panthers - must have been the same designer as the Pats logo
Ravens - should be brown and orange
Broncos - like the Bills, should go back in time

Having said all that, my pick for the worst helmet has to be the Titans. That crappy logo on a white background is just awful.

ScottDCP
07-28-2010, 11:16 AM
No, I won't include the Browns'. To me, it's pure, understated elegance.

There are a lot of bad logos and/or colour choices, but these are the worst:

Bengals - looks like it was designed by a kindergarten class
Jaguars - nice tongue
Bills - should never have changed from the classic
Pats - very 80's
Panthers - must have been the same designer as the Pats logo
Ravens - should be brown and orange
Broncos - like the Bills, should go back in time

Having said all that, my pick for the worst helmet has to be the Titans. That crappy logo on a white background is just awful.

I can't argue a single point after the word 'elegance'. I would however argue that you missed one, in the other side of the Steelers helmet.

Bengals1181
07-28-2010, 11:21 AM
I can't argue a single point after the word 'elegance'. I would however argue that you missed one, in the other side of the Steelers helmet.

I'll argue all the words before elegance then.

You can say its tradition, but is there a more ugly color? Not likely.

mkocs6
07-28-2010, 11:25 AM
The Panthers and the Jaguars--like a lot of expansion teams from the '90s--embody the maxim, he who marries the spirit of the age soon becomes a widow. They went with trendy to colors to capitalize on fads, and they frivolous and silly to us now, even though we live in similarly flighty and vacuous times. Shame on you, every expansion club/relocated team with goofy pastels, teal, turquoise, and absolutely gratuitous amounts of black in your uniforms. Wearing these colors as part of a suit? You absolutely kill. On a playing field? You look silly.

mkocs6
07-28-2010, 11:29 AM
I'll argue all the words before elegance then.

You can say its tradition, but is there a more ugly color? Not likely.

The Browns' shade of orange exactly matches the Bengals'. Look it up, half-brother. Paul Brown wanted it that way.

Bengals1181
07-28-2010, 11:37 AM
The Browns' shade of orange exactly matches the Bengals'. Look it up, half-brother. Paul Brown wanted it that way.

first off, no it doesn't. And 2nd, if you knew your history you'd know the whole reason they changed to the striped helmet was to get away from the look of the Browns.

http://i.cnn.net/si/fannation/bengals-browns.jpg

Pruitt
07-28-2010, 11:39 AM
first off, no it doesn't. And 2nd, if you knew your history you'd know the whole reason they changed to the striped helmet was to get away from the look of the Browns.

Easy there chief - I know the history. Just hate the helmet.

Mordeci
07-28-2010, 11:45 AM
No, I won't include the Browns'.

Abstain. Invalid poll.

MattBer2c
07-28-2010, 12:03 PM
I voted for the Jags.

Side note: I like the current Bills and current Broncos logos a lot. With their super bowl rings, I doubt any broncos fan is looking back.

mkocs6
07-28-2010, 12:07 PM

Calm down, friendo. I was just talking about the original designs. My apologies for not being more clear. It's a little early for me here in Texas.

Bengals1181
07-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Calm down, friendo. I was just talking about the original designs. My apologies for not being more clear. It's a little early for me here in Texas.

no problem. Thought about that after I posted. Yes, original Bengals helmet was basically the same color.

ReaderM
07-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Personally, I used to think the worst Helmet's in the league were the old Pat Patriots ones but ever since they did the redesign, while I won't say they are the most elegant ones out there, it not bad either. I voted for the Bengals because as Pruitt said "Bengals - looks like it was designed by a kindergarten class" I'm just not a fan of the rotating strips over the helmet. It's one of those helmets that if it was in my den or something, just know it would probably give any no football fans that came over a classic gloss over due to the tackiness,

Personally i'm a fan of the Browns monotone color,it's more an edition by subtraction in this case. The Steeler color scheme and design is priceless and I don't care that the log on one side. I don't like the Jaguars team uniforms overall but I can't seem to find anything wrong with their helmet design and since the Jaguars and Panthers helmet design is so similar, that implies to them also. As for the Raven, I by principle alone don't like Art Modell so that clouds it and the Titans logo on their still me makes me wonder how they came up with that ( I understand what it represents but still..)

Pruitt
07-28-2010, 01:56 PM

Gotcha. Those original helmets were bizarre.

Tinindian
07-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Yeah I like the kindergarten stripes on the Bengals helmets. It's way better than the orange ones that said "Bengals" on the side. Not a big fan of the Flying Elvis on the Pats helmets.

SEABAGS
07-28-2010, 04:43 PM
The Titans helmet is nasty looking. As much as i loved the Oilers helmets, i can't stand the Titans:p

Colts01
07-28-2010, 04:45 PM
I voted pats only because I really like the old logo

FLPackerFan
07-28-2010, 07:06 PM
I cannot argue wit this list and the comments. However I don;t mind the Browns. I am nostalgic and love the old school look and tradition.

Bengals - looks like it was designed by a kindergarten class { This is a horrible design }
Jaguars - nice tongue { Not a bad logo or helmet, will get changed when they move }
Bills - should never have changed from the classic { Wear the throwbacks, the are classic }
Pats - very 80's { Bring back the old uniforms with the minuteman, classic look }
Panthers - must have been the same designer as the Pats logo { They could us a change to something better }
Ravens - should be brown and orange { Not that bad, could be better }
Broncos - like the Bills, should go back in time { Bring back the previous look, the orange crush }

My other suggestions:

Falcons - Go back to the throwbacks, they look great with the red helmets and black jersey's
Texans - maybe add a stripe
Eagles - Go back to the previous look from the 80s and early 90s
Rams - Go back to the blue and yellow
Seahawks - Go back to the original look, what is up with the green jersey's

mkocs6
07-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Why do people hate the old school Pat Patriot logo? One of my favorite throwback designs in the league, to be sure, but absolutely nothing can top the pure, unmitigated splendor of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Bucco Bruce design. Hands down, favorite helmet ever.

ReaderM
07-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Why do people hate the old school Pat Patriot logo? One of my favorite throwback designs in the league, to be sure, but absolutely nothing can tops the pure, unmitigated splendor of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Bucco Bruce design. Hands down, favorite helmet ever.

Man, I was waiting for somene to bring this up.. Creamsicle Orange FTW!! First jersey ever was a Warren Sapp 99 in this color. Bucco Bruce was hands down one badass mascot. Do I like the new redesign, without a doubt but it shouldn't have taken them so long to bring the old uniforms back as throwbacks.

BubbaLove
07-29-2010, 12:19 AM
Where are the Rams helmets? I had to vote for other.

msclemons
07-29-2010, 12:23 AM
I'm so used to the modern NFL helmets that none of them seem ugly to me. The old old yellow packers helmet was pretty hideous though.

GiantsFaninToronto
07-29-2010, 12:32 AM
Packers. Hell, their color scheme is just pukey.

PrestigeWorldwide
07-29-2010, 12:32 AM
Wow Cleveland even comes in last in fashion standings. Congratulations.

codysmart
07-29-2010, 03:10 AM
I voted for the Jags.

Side note: I like the current Bills and current Broncos logos a lot. With their super bowl rings, I doubt any broncos fan is looking back.

It is too bad we won our Super Bowls with the current uniforms because now we will never change. We need to go back to or come up with a similar version of our 80's/early 90's helmets and unis. John Elway laughed at the current uniforms when they were first unveiled. Woody Paige is also on board with the current state of ugliness. I also voted for the Jags by the way...horrendous.

Tomb92
07-29-2010, 03:52 AM
Dolphins, I think it's dumb. Although it's more just their logo I guess. It's 80s in an enjoyable way, but I wouldn't say it's nice.

Pruitt
07-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Wow Cleveland even comes in last in fashion standings. Congratulations.

You're obviously a "glass half-empty" type of guy. As an optimist I look at it this way: The Browns have finally won something.

jaGmen
07-31-2010, 12:35 AM
Cleveland. They're the Cleveland Browns not the Cleveland Oranges

SixxShooter
07-31-2010, 10:45 AM
Amen, amen. There ought to be a law against the color teal. May look good on the condo in Cocoa Beach, but on a football uniform? Putrid.

StarvinMarvin
07-31-2010, 01:10 PM
Where are the Rams helmets? I had to vote for other.

Gotta agree. They look like something you'd see in a hypnotist's show.

Dave Lapham
07-31-2010, 02:03 PM
Can't hate the Bengals helmet. The first year we made the change, we won the AFC Championship and lost SB16 to the 49ers. That is the helmet I can't stand for obvious reasons. There is not an uglier helmet in the league in my eyes than the SF49ers.

ReaderM
07-31-2010, 04:26 PM
You're obviously a "glass half-empty" type of guy. As an optimist I look at it this way: The Browns have finally won something.

Hahaha. I can't seem to hate on the Browns color scheme.. I mean any teams whose name/colors & history inspired the phrase " I'm taking the Browns to the SuperBowl" can't be too bad.

Alex
07-31-2010, 04:44 PM
the browns helmet feels like giving up... :-D

Pruitt
07-31-2010, 05:12 PM
Hahaha. I can't seem to hate on the Browns color scheme.. I mean any teams whose name/colors & history inspired the phrase " I'm taking the Browns to the SuperBowl" can't be too bad.

Best sports euphemism until "I'm taking my talents to South Beach".

Funny thing is that Cleveland fans are lucky. The team was named for Paul Brown. Imagine if his last name was "Schwartz" or "Kostolowicz"

Chompurself
07-31-2010, 06:14 PM
The Bengals helmets are and have always and will always be the most ridiculous in most of sports(besides the toronto raptors)

Bengals1181
07-31-2010, 08:22 PM
The Bengals helmets are and have always and will always be the most unique in all of sports(besides the toronto raptors)

fixed it for you!

Bunghole
07-31-2010, 09:38 PM
Why do people hate the old school Pat Patriot logo? One of my favorite throwback designs in the league, to be sure, but absolutely nothing can top the pure, unmitigated splendor of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Bucco Bruce design. Hands down, favorite helmet ever.

I completely agree. I wish they'd never changed their unis either. They had the most unique look in the NFL. I was a huge fan in the Doug Williams/Ricky Bell/Jimmy Giles/Lee Roy Selmon days. Its a shame they lost to the Rams 9-0 in 1979...

BubbaLove
07-31-2010, 10:11 PM
The Bengals helmets are and have always and will always be the most ridiculous in most of sports(besides the toronto raptors)

Wait a second...I watch a decent amount of NBA every season and I have never once seen a helmet on the court.

ReaderM
07-31-2010, 11:53 PM
Wait a second...I watch a decent amount of NBA every season and I have never once seen a helmet on the court.

Wait until Lebron & the Heat return to Cleveland, that whole game might be played in helmets and other protective gear

Pattrick
08-01-2010, 05:27 AM
I voted for the Titans, I can't stand their helmets, they look horrible to me. I will say that I loved the old "Oilers" helmets.ll of my friends thought it was stupid but I liked it. I think I liked it because of Warren Moon.

Also, I see no problem with the Bills, Browns or Bengals. I don't see any ugly in there.

BisonTribe
08-01-2010, 06:40 AM
The bigger mistake the NFL made in the branding of the Panthers and Jaguars is that they went with themes entirely too similar. The Jags then messed with the uniforms quite a bit with different combos, etc until finally standardizing with the latest look. While I think mistakes were made with regard to these two teams, what the Bills and Broncos did to their brand is almost criminal. The Bills helmets are ridiculous now, and the Broncos logo looks incredibly "trendy". It's one thing to try and make the best of a mediocre branding effort, it's another to completely destroy a brand you spent decades building.

Pruitt
08-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Wait until Bosh returns to Toronto, that whole game might be played in helmets and other protective gear

Fixed it.

I think Raptors fans now have someone to hate more than Vince Carter.

SEABAGS
08-16-2010, 11:46 AM
what's up with the colts helmets they were wearing Saturday..........uck

throw back or throw up?

KabaModernFan
08-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Fixed it.

I think Raptors fans now have someone to hate more than Vince Carter.

It won't even be close. Vince Carter is still the most hated figure in Raptors history, and most likely will be forever unless someone turns on the team during the Finals and starts scoring for the other team. Kinda like Hulk Hogan when he joined the nWo. Currently, that's Vince Carter.