PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to FPL! Your service in the US navy

Colts01
07-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Phil,
Welcome and we are proud to have you as one of our pros!
You are I think A unique story as a player considering you served four years(? )in the Navy before going pro at 27.First and foremost thank you for serving our country.
My questions to start you off are.
-what game stands out to you most in your career
The super bowl or the Army-Navy game?
-How after serving did you land your opportunity with the giants?
-Of todays players does anyone remind you of yourself?
thanks again and welcome from all of Cris's Ninja's!:star:

ScottDCP
07-28-2010, 05:24 PM
I'm also curious about something to do with your service career:

Which is more exhilarating/terrifying - flying a helicopter in a storm, or covering/returning kicks?

Phil McConkey
07-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the welcome!
After graduating from the Naval Academy in '79, I went to Pensacola and earned my wings of gold as a Naval Aviator. I flew CH-46's and spent a total of 5 years active duty before getting out in '84 and showing up on the Giants doorstep, begging for a tryout. What I did in the service pales in comparison of what out brave troops are doing now in wartime. We sit here and talk about all the "warriors" in the NFL but the guys and gals that are trying to avoid REAL bullets are the real heroes!

-The Super Bowl would stand out more since I got to play in one vs. four Army-Navy games, however, the intensity of an Army -Navy, for me at least, is equal to the SB.
-I got my opportunity with the Giants through Steve Belichick, Bill's father, who was an assistant at Navy for many decades. Also, two of my coaches at Navy were on Parcells' staff when I got to the Giants, Lenny Fontes DB coach and Tom Bresnahan OL coach.
-Not sure who reminds me of myself, but one of the guys I really admire is Hines Ward. I love the way he plays the WR position and gives as much as he receives. For every WR that has played the game and taken all that abuse from defensive players, it is so refreshing to watch Hines jack someone up. I was doing color commentary for CBS and we had Georgia-Georgia Tech and I noticed him then.

Phil McConkey
07-28-2010, 11:04 PM
Landing a large, twin rotors aircraft onto the back of a rolling, pitching destroyer, at night is much more terrifying. A mistake and you crash, burn and die.

brauneyz
07-28-2010, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the welcome!
After graduating from the Naval Academy in '79, ...

Omnes viri.

ScottDCP
07-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Landing a large, twin rotors aircraft onto the back of a rolling, pitching destroyer, at night is much more terrifying. A mistake and you crash, burn and die.

Which is more fun?

Phil McConkey
11-03-2010, 06:26 PM
They are equally fun. They both give an incredible rush, take tons of concentration, and the fear of failure is a motivating factor!