PDA

View Full Version : Enhanced Season

nickgage
07-29-2010, 08:57 AM
I was watching NFL Total Access last night and they interviewed Roger Goodell. One of the things that he talked about was the new "enhanced" schedule they are working on and want to implement next season. With the new "enhanced" schedule, instead of the traditional four preseason games, they will only have two preseason games and convert the other preseason games to regular season games, thereby extending the season by two weeks.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how this will work from a scheduling standpoint? Will the season now start in mid-August? Will training camps get bumped back two weeks so that the season still starts around the second week of September?

I'm curious as to how this will work and what impact it might have on any future CBA's?

Cris Collinsworth
07-29-2010, 09:10 AM
I was watching NFL Total Access last night and they interviewed Roger Goodell. One of the things that he talked about was the new "enhanced" schedule they are working on and want to implement next season. With the new "enhanced" schedule, instead of the traditional four preseason games, they will only have two preseason games and convert the other preseason games to regular season games, thereby extending the season by two weeks.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how this will work from a scheduling standpoint? Will the season now start in mid-August? Will training camps get bumped back two weeks so that the season still starts around the second week of September?

I'm curious as to how this will work and what impact it might have on any future CBA's?

I would guess the season would just run longer. TV ratings before Labor Day take a big hit.

Bengals1181
07-29-2010, 09:43 AM
hate this idea.

Injuries will go up because of 2 extra games and less pre-season time for conditioning.

It becomes harder to evaluate talent because there's 2 less pre-season games. What's that do to the Brady's, Miles Austin, TJ Housmandzadeh's of the world? Late round picks who didn't shine immediately but showed enough in the pre-season to make the club until their time to shine?

FessJL0861
07-29-2010, 09:44 AM
I heard a theory that would include one international game each. I hope it was conjecture and nothing solid.

Andy Freeland
07-29-2010, 11:02 AM
I heard a theory that would include one international game each. I hope it was conjecture and nothing solid.

I think that was only if they went to a 17 game season, not 18. With an 18 game season and 1 international game, half the teams would get 9 home games while the other half would get 8, which I don't think anyone would be in favor of. Though I suppose they could make it a little more fair by making international games inter-conference and having all AFC teams act as the home team one year and NFC the next, but I still don't think it would work.

FessJL0861
07-29-2010, 11:50 AM
That was the scenario. I hope it's unrealistic enough to be the undoing.

Colts01
07-29-2010, 12:51 PM
I think Bill Simmons had a GREAT idea,as Andy said only add one game or keep it at a 16 game season but just make the season a little longer by adding a couple more bye weeks per team,even if a couple weeks theres only 8 games it would extend the season and perhaps give teams a chance to get more guys healthy

GBPKS
07-29-2010, 01:18 PM
I think Bill Simmons had a GREAT idea,as Andy said only add one game or keep it at a 16 game season but just make the season a little longer by adding a couple more bye weeks per team,even if a couple weeks theres only 8 games it would extend the season and perhaps give teams a chance to get more guys healthy

I hate that idea - the bye week is the worst week in the NFL season for a team's fanbase, and I definitely don't want to see more of them. I understand a practical reason for doing it, but I don't think it would be very popular.

There's no reason to artificially extend the season. We don't need to play the Super Bowl in March...

Andy Freeland
07-29-2010, 01:23 PM
There's no reason to artificially extend the season. We don't need to play the Super Bowl in March...

Congratulations on winning the Super Bowl. Now go home and get some sleep, training camp starts in 3 weeks.

Turk Schonert
07-29-2010, 01:31 PM
I hate that idea - the bye week is the worst week in the NFL season for a team's fanbase, and I definitely don't want to see more of them. I understand a practical reason for doing it, but I don't think it would be very popular.

Amen to that !!!!!

Colts01
07-29-2010, 01:39 PM
ha play the super bowl on sunday,training camp starts on monday,wait I just described the NHL

WashProWilly
07-29-2010, 02:10 PM
I hate the idea too. Another factor is money. Preseason games are foisted upon season ticket holders at full price. There is no discount for watching future insurance salesmen playing against future high school coaches in the majority of playing time in the preseason games. I assume that NFL teams (and the NFL in general) make less money on preseason games than regular season games, ergo, let's shorten the preseason and add regular season games to be more profitable!

Many players don't seem to like playing in preseason games much due to the threat of injuries, which is understandable. But they are going to feel the same way about extra regular season games too, especially if they aren't going to receive increased compensation for playing two more games in which they (as starters, mind) would be playing more, while the owners pocket more money on their extra labor.

Also to be considered is teams that have locked up their divisions early having players sitting out even more games than they already do. Fans don't want to see that. Witness the outrage against the Colts deliberately not trying to finish with a perfect record. I'm not saying the Colts were wrong or right, but many people disliked that, and increasing the amount of regular season games will result in more of that, which in essence is basically creating preseason games at the end of the regular season for teams in that position! Not to mention this also creates more undeserving teams in the playoffs like we saw with the Colts, which allowed the Jets to sneak into the playoffs, which they otherwise wouldn't have been able to do on their own merits.

Keep the schedule the way it is, its perfect.

Bengals1181
07-29-2010, 02:12 PM

I'll take the health of my favorite team over not seeing my favorite team play an extra week during the season.

SEABAGS
07-29-2010, 02:34 PM
I don't like it either, but I rather see 1 more meaningful game than 1 pre-season game. Funny how the NFL doesn't use the term exhibition game anymore when referring to pre-season. Now they use "enhanced" as opposed to longer season.

The NFL is set up perfect now. Everything is in fours. FOUR quarters in a game, teams divide their schedule into FOUR quarters, FOUR divisions in each conference, FOUR teams in each division, regular season is FOUR months long, FOUR downs, playoffs are FOUR rounds long & four preseason games (alright, i'm pushing it)

DM138385
07-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Leave the season the way it is !! The NFL is far and away the number one sport in America, one of the reasons is with a 16 game schedule a team does not have much room for error, making EVERY game huge unlike MLB (162 are you kidding me) and the NBA November thru June, don't mess with a proven winner and 16 games is that.

giantsfan97
07-29-2010, 09:31 PM
The NFL is set up perfect now.
This. Change will happen for one reason only: greed.

It's a damn shame.

BubbaLove
07-29-2010, 09:48 PM
This. Change will happen for one reason only: greed.

It's a damn shame.

I hope you're wrong, I (like everyone else it seems) don't want to see any changes.

Moving to 18 games in a season whouldn't have much affect on ticket sales, but I wonder how much those 32 extra games would change the TV deals when they come up again.

buzmeg
07-29-2010, 09:52 PM
My favorite idiom to the idiots of the NFL:

If it's not broke, don't fix it!

'nuff said.

Bengals1181
07-29-2010, 11:23 PM
I hope you're wrong, I (like everyone else it seems) don't want to see any changes.

Moving to 18 games in a season whouldn't have much affect on ticket sales, but I wonder how much those 32 extra games would change the TV deals when they come up again.

sure it would. It won't change season ticket sales much, but a regular season game is going to get a heck of a lot more normal ticket sales than a preseason game.

BubbaLove
07-29-2010, 11:44 PM
sure it would. It won't change season ticket sales much, but a regular season game is going to get a heck of a lot more normal ticket sales than a preseason game.

Oh sure there will be a few teams that will gain some benefit. But truthfully if you get a 25% bump in 1 single game, that's pocket change to an NFL owner and whoever they share the proceeds with. What if you have a losing team and you lose lots of attendence for that extra game.

Television is where the big money would come from...Or maybe not.

msclemons
07-30-2010, 12:36 AM
Did Goodall actually say "Enhanced Season"? Talk about double-speak. Sounds like an Enzyte ad or something.

Andy Freeland
07-30-2010, 07:20 AM
Did Goodall actually say "Enhanced Season"? Talk about double-speak. Sounds like an Enzyte ad or something.

If your football season last longer than 4 months you should immediately contact a physician.

Polishguy00
07-30-2010, 07:49 AM
"Enhanced Season" makes it sound like the NFL was having some difficulty, sort of speak. Is the NFL only really doing well 11 out of 17 weeks and it really needs those pills? I am pretty sure that since everywhere but Jacksonville seems to sell out each week, almost all stadiums were bursting at the seams for every week with excitement. I am not sure it the world can handle the NFL being enhanced for a full 19 weeks. We need to consult the world.

The world just got back to me. It said it is fully satisfied with how the NFL is and the NFL needs to stop worrying.

Tinindian
07-30-2010, 09:28 AM
I think were stuck with this. I really don't like it. I think it will diminish the quality of what is on the field. One of the keys to footballs great success has been the wisdom of "always leave them wanting more". That is what has made the NFL's draft a huge event and why people follow things in the offseaon like we do. It's the want of more of it. This is not like the 70's when they had, I think, 6 preseason games and a 14 game season.

I fear that by the end of potentially, what, 22 games for a wildcard team in the superbowl, we will be watching the NFL version of zombies on the field.

Tinindian
07-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Another thing, I watched a bit of the Packers meeting with Goodell last night and there was some talk of this "extended" season but I didn't hear anyone try to talk sense into Goodell about this at all. I know that the decision is not really his, as he has to do the owners bidding on this and toe the line, but someone needs to give these guys some negative feedback on this. As a fan I don't think we have any voice in this at all. This is really a bad idea.

GoBigOrGoHome
07-30-2010, 10:16 AM

Speak for yourself. Since the bye week was introduced, we the Lions faithful have been guaranteed at least one week without a loss. :p

GBPKS
07-30-2010, 10:26 AM

I guess you have a point - I forgot that not everyone is like the Packers and Giants (sold out for eternity and beyond) and there are a fair amount of teams who do not sell out all their season tickets..

GBPKS
07-30-2010, 10:27 AM

I guess it's an easier sell to call it the "Enhanced" season than what it really is - the "Longer" season...

giantsfan97
07-30-2010, 04:55 PM

Maybe we could get Jimmy Johnson to do a commercial for it.