PDA

View Full Version : What does it take to win a super bowl?

jaGmen
07-29-2010, 09:51 PM
I know that question sounds weird, but if you were a coach what formula would you have for winning it all?

To me, teams need a good QB, be able to run the ball and have a defense that specializes in 1 or more areas. It doesn't have to be a great defense, but it has to do one thing well. For example, last year the Saints didn't have a great defense but they got a lot of turnovers and that saved them at key moments.

msclemons
07-29-2010, 10:23 PM
I would build the lines. I want good pass protection and a good pass rush. With protection a decent QB can be very good (see Rypien, Mark). With a good pass rush a great QB can seem mediocre (see Brady, Tom, SB XLII).

In this passing era you have to be able to pass and stop the pass to win consistently. The O-Line and D-Line are they keys to controlling the passing game in my uneducated opinion.

BubbaLove
07-29-2010, 10:25 PM
I think being able to stay relatively healthy doesn't hurt either.

Bengals1181
07-29-2010, 10:28 PM
health, balance, and cohesion

Docta
07-29-2010, 10:33 PM
Chemistry. QB needs to get along with his O-line and receivers.

bluestree
07-29-2010, 10:50 PM
All of the above, and it needs to come together by the middle of December. Never underestimate the importance of being on a roll. Teams that get to the Super Bowl usually seem like they're playing the game on a downhill slant.

Colts01
07-29-2010, 10:53 PM
All of the above, and it needs to come together by the middle of December. Never underestimate the importance of being on a roll. Teams that get to the Super Bowl usually seem like they're playing the game on a downhill slant.

07-08 giants are a great example of that

DaBearsFan
07-29-2010, 10:54 PM
What does it take to win a Super Bowl? Make the playoffs and play well once you get there.

In all seriousness, I don't think there's a magic formula of how to build a team that will win. The Saints won with a great offense and with an opportunistic boom-or-bust defense. The 2008 Steelers won because of a great defense, a bad O-line/running game and a QB who somehow fit that offense. The Giants won because of a great D-line, a strong running game and every thing else being barely good enough. I can go on, if you'd like.

In general, I think the best bet to winning the Super Bowl is a strong o-line and good pass defense (either by pass rush or pass coverage, doesn't matter to me). Those teams tend to be successful and have a better track record, but it's not a guarantee. And the best teams always adapt to their personnel (Silly example: you don't run the ball 40 times a game if your QB is Peyton Manning), and hope for the best.

Turk Schonert
07-29-2010, 11:09 PM
What does it take to win a Super Bowl? Make the playoffs and play well once you get there.

In all seriousness, I don't think there's a magic formula of how to build a team that will win. The Saints won with a great offense and with an opportunistic boom-or-bust defense. The 2008 Steelers won because of a great defense, a bad O-line/running game and a QB who somehow fit that offense. The Giants won because of a great D-line, a strong running game and every thing else being barely good enough. I can go on, if you'd like.

In general, I think the best bet to winning the Super Bowl is a strong o-line and good pass defense (either by pass rush or pass coverage, doesn't matter to me). Those teams tend to be successful and have a better track record, but it's not a guarantee. And the best teams always adapt to their personnel (Silly example: you don't run the ball 40 times a game if your QB is Peyton Manning), and hope for the best.

I've always believed that in order to get to the Super Bowl you have to have 3 ingredients:
1) you have to be a good team
2) you're key players need to stay healthy
3) you need luck throughout the course of a season (the bounce of the ball, officials calls, lucky breaks during a game, weather etc.)

As far as building a team, I would start with the QB, then I would build the offensive & defensive
lines, being strong upfront on both sides of the ball allows you to go in any direction from there on.

ReaderM
07-30-2010, 12:03 AM
I've always believed that in order to get to the Super Bowl you have to have 3 ingredients:

3) you need luck throughout the course of a season (the bounce of the ball, officials calls, lucky breaks during a game, weather etc.)

This one can not be stated enough, I'm a huge fan of letting the players decide the game but no matter how it goes down, it's 50% mental, 40% physical and 10% just pure luck

Kosar19
07-30-2010, 12:28 AM
I'm pretty sure step one is to not have your team in Cleveland. I hate you Modell.

In all seriousness, 1:A QB who won't lose you that game and can make a couple of plays
2:Solid in the trenches
3:A coach who doesn't wilt ,suffer indecision, or becomes a diamond factory in the clutch (insert coal....out comes diamond, Andy Reid style.)

Polishguy00
07-30-2010, 08:25 AM
Health, Luck, QB, O-Line, DBs (active FS is most relevant here), D-Line, then fill in the rest.

You don't really need to have a high-caliber run game, just one that can run when you have the lead.

Pruitt
07-30-2010, 10:25 AM
I think being able to stay relatively healthy doesn't hurt either.

Great point - seemingly obvious, but it's crucial.

Also, I don't think you'll ever find a Super Bowl Champion with weak lines.

GBPKS
07-30-2010, 11:34 AM
First and foremost, it certainly helps your odds to have a very good quarterback. Yes, there have been teams that have won it all without a stud at QB but that is few and far between and given the way the rules cater to the passing game, I think it is only going to become more crucial. Not having the star at QB increases the importance of the other factors. If you don't have it at QB, then your offensive line better be fantastic and your defense better be the '85 Bears or at least the '00 Ravens. If you have the star at QB, it stands to reason that he can protect himself from a weaker offensive line and he can compensate for a less-than-dominant defense.

Then from there - yes, the trenches are important, although I can't think of a team that has won it all recently that has a blue chip stud left tackle that is supposed to be so all-important in the NFL. The Saints won it all last year with a backup (Bushrod) playing left tackle all year. The Steelers won it all the year before with one of the worst offensive lines in football. The Giants won it all in 2007 with a former guard David Diehl kicked out to play left tackle. The Colts have never had the stud blue-chip left tackle. The Patriot dynasty never had a superstar left tackle.

I think the key on the offensive line more than anything else is to have balance and cohesion. The Giants offensive line didn't have any superstars but they were able to play together for 16 weeks. Certainly, health and luck become a factor there.

Then, you have to have at least a competent defense. Again, it doesn't have to be a dominant defense - the 2006 Colts or the 2009 Saints certainly proved that.

nate2588
07-30-2010, 04:43 PM
In order to win the Super Bowl you must have: Great pass rush, solid running game, a quarterback that can throw for first downs on 3rd down and does not make turnovers, health, and then of course luck.

BubbaLove
07-30-2010, 10:45 PM
Great point - seemingly obvious, but it's crucial.

Also, I don't think you'll ever find a Super Bowl Champion with weak lines.

Just one more nugget of wisdom from me; You must win all your games in the playoffs. ;-)