PDA

View Full Version : Happy with the Mays signing

walzav31
08-23-2011, 11:30 AM
He seems like a perfect fit for Zimmer. Seems a little soon to give up on a guy. New regime though in San Fran. I like the pickup!

vancemeek
08-23-2011, 12:57 PM
He'll probably just play situationally, but if Zimmer can coach him up, even just a little, he'll be better than Crocker.

Andy Freeland
08-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Mays is an interesting guy. His pure speed makes you think he would be a free safety, but he isn't good in man coverage and really struggles turning his hips. He understands the game, reads routes well and plays the run extremely well. I read that the Bears were interested in making him a LB, which makes a lot of sense. He's a great athlete, size and speed, good tackler, not afraid of contact at all, seems like he could be a really good player in the right system.

Bunghole
08-24-2011, 01:00 PM
The Bengals seem to do a pretty good job with converting former high draft pick players that are having mediocre to bad starts to their careers into decent players. Reggie Nelson, Benson, Leonard, even Adam Jones spring immediately to mind. And they usually get these guys for practically nothing.

I hope Mays works out. We certainly need help/depth at the safety position. We don't really have any proven impact players back there.