PDA

View Full Version : Pat Williams Training Camp Quote of Year

ReaderM
07-31-2010, 05:04 PM
Ran across this article on Pat Williams laying the Big Bang on Toby Gerhart during "supposed" non-contact drills and his quotes from it are priceless.

On Hitting Gerhart:
"I don't care who it is, man," Williams said. "This ain't college no more. They're grown mans out there. (Expletive.) Paying these college boys like they already played before, so (expletive), we just show 'em. This is a different breed out there. This is grown men. It ain't boys no more. But they pay 'em like they done played in the NFL now."

On whether he apologized for laying him on the ground:
"(Expletive). I don't apologize to nobody. (Expletive), get your ass up. Let's go. Point blank. That's how I roll. I've been playing for like 14 years. I don't complain about nothing. I don't whine about nothing. I'm just coming to camp to have fun. Same old, same old every year."

To his credit, Gerhart responded "It's expected. I feel like I'm playing football again." but Pat Williams, that's an OG for you

Notebook: Pat Williams delivers hit, words to put Toby Gerhart in his place (http://1500espn.com/sportswire/Pat_Williams_delivers_hit_words_to_put_Toby_Gerhar t_in_his_place)
Harvin leaves field with injury (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/56735627.html)

msclemons
07-31-2010, 05:09 PM
I think we know what Pat Williams' feelings are on a rookie-salary cap, eh?

Turk Schonert
07-31-2010, 05:10 PM
Ran across this article on Pat Williams laying the Big Bang on Toby Gerhart during "supposed" non-contact drills and his quotes from it are priceless.

On Hitting Gerhart:
"I don't care who it is, man," Williams said. "This ain't college no more. They're grown mans out there. (Expletive.) Paying these college boys like they already played before, so (expletive), we just show 'em. This is a different breed out there. This is grown men. It ain't boys no more. But they pay 'em like they done played in the NFL now."

On whether he apologized for laying him on the ground:
"(Expletive). I don't apologize to nobody. (Expletive), get your ass up. Let's go. Point blank. That's how I roll. I've been playing for like 14 years. I don't complain about nothing. I don't whine about nothing. I'm just coming to camp to have fun. Same old, same old every year."

To his credit, Gerhart responded "It's expected. I feel like I'm playing football again." but Pat Williams, that's an OG for you

Notebook: Pat Williams delivers hit, words to put Toby Gerhart in his place (http://1500espn.com/sportswire/Pat_Williams_delivers_hit_words_to_put_Toby_Gerhar t_in_his_place)
Harvin leaves field with injury (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/56735627.html)

Commissioner, owners, Can you hear the voices ? STOP the stupidity !!!

Bengals1181
07-31-2010, 05:14 PM
still pretty petty for Williams to take it out on Gehrart. It's not Toby's fault the system is the way it is, just like it wasn't Williams fault when he was a rookie and benefited from the same system.

Andy Freeland
07-31-2010, 05:16 PM
3 things we can glean from Williams' remarks:

1. He doesn't seem to like rookies.
2. Stay out of his way.
3. He will never be a contributor on FPL. We would have to buy asterisks by the truckload.

Andy Freeland
07-31-2010, 05:18 PM
still pretty petty for Williams to take it out on Gehrart. It's not Toby's fault the system is the way it is, just like it wasn't Williams fault when he was a rookie and benefited from the same system.

Pat Williams was undrafted, and sounds like he may not have completely gotten over it.

But to compare contracts: Pat Williams is in the last year of a 3-year, $22M deal. Toby Gerhart just signed for 4 years, $3.7M.

ScottDCP
07-31-2010, 05:29 PM
Pat Williams was undrafted, and sounds like he may not have completely gotten over it.

I think you may be on to something, there.

Chompurself
07-31-2010, 05:55 PM
I'm not saying what Williams did was right, but he's a veteran who's been in the league a long time....I'm sure this is just another one of those things to help break rookie in....I'm sure he doesn't hate the guy just proving a point.....

ScottDCP
07-31-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm not saying what Williams did was right, but he's a veteran who's been in the league a long time....I'm sure this is just another one of those things to help break rookie in....I'm sure he doesn't hate the guy just proving a point.....

Given that yhe still has a reputation in Buffalo that includes being a tremendous teammate, neighbor, and conversationalist, I think there mightve been some sort of socioeconomic bent to the affair.

bluestree
07-31-2010, 07:57 PM
Given that yhe still has a reputation in Buffalo that includes being a tremendous teammate, neighbor, and conversationalist, I think there mightve been some sort of socioeconomic bent to the affair.

This afternoon at Packer's camp, veteran LB Desmond Bishop blew up rookie TE Andrew Quarless. Rookie/Vet thing. Crowd cheered Bishop. Expect fans to call for him to be named a starter.

Colts01
07-31-2010, 08:01 PM
My guess is if someone laid out Bradford in( practice?...practice?were talkin about practice?) They would not have a job 5 seconds after contact

ReaderM
07-31-2010, 08:29 PM
Totally forgot that Williams was an undrafted free agent, well it definitely helps explain his attitude to rookie's salaries. Though honestly,i just think it was really a "Welcome to the NFL rookie" moment.. no not carrying pads for anyone on that team lol

souza
07-31-2010, 08:58 PM
Ha thats a helluva quote but thats the nastiness and drive that turned an undrafted free agent into a three-time Pro Bowler, Gerhart will be grateful come September that Williams is on his side, albeit on the downside of a stellar career...

ReaderM
07-31-2010, 11:59 PM
souza, I honestly think this will be Pat Williams last year in the NFL, especially if the Vikings make it to the SuperBowl. His contract is ending soon isn't it? I think combined with the StarCap case looming over them and the fact you noted, he is on the downside of a stellar career, I'm earnestly watching him this year with the expectation that it could easily be his last and watching him as he rides out into the twilight.

Wordsworth
08-01-2010, 03:04 PM
I don't see anything wrong with this, he's not taking a personal matter with Gerhart just showing the rookies how to play in the NFL. This happens on every team every year in every sport. The new kids get messed with by the veterans. The only difference in the NFL is that the rookies are often better paid.

Andy Freeland
08-01-2010, 03:24 PM
I don't see anything wrong with this, he's not taking a personal matter with Gerhart just showing the rookies how to play in the NFL. This happens on every team every year in every sport. The new kids get messed with by the veterans. The only difference in the NFL is that the rookies are often better paid.

I agree. What Pat Williams did to Toby Gerhart is the same thing Al Michaels did to me when I joined Sunday Night Football.

illmatc2
08-17-2010, 06:39 PM
It's always a good thing for Vets to toughen up the rooks cause otherwise the other teams vets will eat them alive.