PDA

View Full Version : Colts hire Jim Tressel as consultant

Colts01
09-02-2011, 04:22 PM
INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indianapolis Colts have hired former Ohio State coach Jim Tressel as a game-day consultant.

Coach Jim Caldwell made the announcement during a conference call with reporters Friday.

Caldwell says Tressel will serve primarily as a consultant on replays, which will allow the other coaches to focus on their individual jobs without having to worry about making decisions on replay reviews.

Tressel resigned at Ohio State on May 30 following an investigation that turned up evidence his players had received improper benefits.

Tressel also allegedly failed to notify the school's compliance department.

Caldwell says he chose Tressel because the two have had a good relationship for a long time and that it fills a job he'd been looking to fill for several years.

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press

Insert joke here <-------------

GoBigOrGoHome
09-02-2011, 04:28 PM
My how far the mighty have fallen.

Bengals1181
09-02-2011, 04:54 PM
good for him. He had been talking about a job with the Bengals as well. Can't blame him for choosing the colts.

Sander
09-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Caldwell certainly needs a consultant.

brauneyz
09-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Well, PFT already cracked wise about it, but it bears repeating here. Tressel will be suspended 5 games, just like Terrell Pryor, right? WRONG! :mad:

GoBigOrGoHome
09-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Well, PFT already cracked wise about it, but it bears repeating here. Tressel will be suspended 5 games, just like Terrell Pryor, right? WRONG! :mad:

Amazingly, this was the lead on PTI tonight. The NFLPA should raise holy hell if the league does not suspend the Vest. Either sit him down or lift the Pryor suspension.

wxwax
09-02-2011, 10:30 PM
I'm not against a man getting a second chance. But it's too soon. I really dislike Tressel, I think he's a dishonest sleazebag all dressed up in sanctimonious religious hockum.

I don't think it's too much to ask that a creep like that has to sit out at least one season before getting back into football.

wxwax
09-02-2011, 11:49 PM
Excellent column (http://blogs.indystar.com/philb/2011/09/02/yeah-fear-the-vest/) in the Indianapolis Star. I agree with him completely.

SpartaChris
09-03-2011, 08:16 PM

Hires like this are supposed to be cleared through the league first. Turns out the Colts didn't tell anyone when making the hire.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/03/nfl-will-review-jim-tressels-status-with-colts/

Full disclaimer- I personally don't care whether he's disciplined by the league or not. I literally have no thoughts, either good or bad, about the guy. His vests on the other hand...

As for suspending him, he already got fired, errr, resigned, so theoretically discipline was already enforced by the school. If the NFL were to suspend him, he'd essentially be punished twice for the same crime, no?

That and it's not like he fled to an NFL coaching gig in order to avoid discipline by the NCAA. I have no issues if the league chooses not to discipline him further.

GoBigOrGoHome
09-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Excellent column (http://blogs.indystar.com/philb/2011/09/02/yeah-fear-the-vest/) in the Indianapolis Star. I agree with him completely.

That dude says it right. And I agree competely as well.

msclemons
09-03-2011, 09:48 PM
I don't like Tressel a bit. I think he's a hypocritical douche.

However, comparing his situation to Pryor's is sophomoric. Pryor would not have been eligible for the supplemental draft without the deal his agent brokered for him. That deal included the 5 game suspension. If Pryor didn't want to take that suspension he could have waited until next April like most other college players would have.

Pryor was eligible for last April's draft. He chose not to enter and he had accepted a 5 game suspension at Ohio for the 2011 season. Then, after the NFL Draft he changed his mind and decided to go pro. At that point Ohio declared him ineligible for the 2011 season. According to the rules for the supplemental draft a player must lose his eligibility after the normal draft to be eligible for the supplemental draft. Pryor was not eligible until after he announced his decision to go pro. The 5 game suspension in the NFL is, in my opinion, a fair compromise for a guy who *censored* around two organizations. I still think Goodell should have stuck to the rules and made Pryor wait until the 2012 draft. By bending the rules he allowed Pryor to enter the league in 2011 and opened himself to this criticism every time a coach comes to the NFL from college.

Tressel's and Pryor's situations are not the same but because Roger bent the rules for Pryor Roger will be backed into a corner and probably have to do something to Tressel.

BuckeyeRidley
09-03-2011, 10:00 PM
I am glad he's going to do what he loves this year which is be around Football. He helped to take our College to embarassing lows this past year but I have respect for what he did with the Buckeyes during his time like beating MICH and having Nat'l Champ. game appears. My Colts should have Good use from him.

msclemons
09-03-2011, 11:56 PM
Buckeye is that avatar you? It is disgustingly loveable.

Amy
09-04-2011, 01:12 AM
I want to echo Clem's assessment above. And to say 'What the heck is wrong with Indy's Front Office this off season?? Lose Moore to the Jets, lose Mudd to the Titans! Then overpay a college coach to be replay boy. Hell, *I* could do that job, for a fraction of the salary. I even would take it, too, though I'd give bad advice in the Pats game! Seriously, pretty much anyone with a brain could buzz to a coach and say "Coach, throw the red flag." Why pay someone like Tressel a real coaches salary for something a housewife could do just as well??? I like the idea of the position, every staff should have one, but, I think the hire here was just, well, goofy.

BuckeyeRidley
09-04-2011, 01:43 AM
Buckeye is that avatar you? It is disgustingly loveable.

LOL Yup; Its Me! The Good Times will keep Rollin'!

msclemons
09-04-2011, 02:40 AM

I mean this in the most hetero way possible Buckeye: You're a good looking young man. Props.

mikesteelnation1
09-04-2011, 03:07 AM

I gotta ask... you're rocking the alma mater colors. You're flying the cowgirls avatar in your profile, but I spy a colts horseshoe in the background of your new photo. I'm hoping its a high school mascot thing. Jerry and Jim dont rub elbows so much!!!

mikesteelnation1
09-04-2011, 03:15 AM
Looks like Mr rodgers just moved into a new neighborhood with his horseshoe sweater vest, changed his shoes , and told peyton where he can get a hook up on his full sleeve and a new car!!! Anyway the practice squad took him up on the ink recommendation, so the trainers ordered a case of a & d ointment and lots of gauze.. smart hire though.. caldwell needs a specific guy to tell him when to take the red flag out..

BuckeyeRidley
09-04-2011, 04:27 AM
I mean this in the most hetero way possible Buckeye: You're a good looking young man. Props.

Thanks Man; & I look much different when the Cowboys give up leads and plays on Defense!