PDA

View Full Version : That there bunch of guys milling around the o-line, a la New England...

ScottDCP
08-02-2010, 05:23 PM
I recall the moment they whipped that one on the Bills, Buffalo backed up deep, first and ten at the two or something, in New England. The offense looked terribly confused, and in three downs they had to punt. Has anyone ever tried to solve that particular front by running a quick-snap wedge? The linemen and LB's are already standing, giving you pad level advantage as blockers, with a TB or panicked (acting) WR running across the formation (think Josh Reed or Hines Ward) to clean up the edges, using a QB or FB to run the ball, you get four, five, or six yards with the bonus of shoulder pads at or slightly below belt level a couple times, does the urge to run that game perhaps go away? Has it been tried? Successfully?

msclemons
08-02-2010, 08:25 PM
You're right - it seems like the old "goose the center" for a QB draw would be a guaranteed 4 yards at least against the Times Square defense. I've never seen it happen though.

Turk Schonert
08-02-2010, 10:15 PM
I recall the moment they whipped that one on the Bills, Buffalo backed up deep, first and ten at the two or something, in New England. The offense looked terribly confused, and in three downs they had to punt. Has anyone ever tried to solve that particular front by running a quick-snap wedge? The linemen and LB's are already standing, giving you pad level advantage as blockers, with a TB or panicked (acting) WR running across the formation (think Josh Reed or Hines Ward) to clean up the edges, using a QB or FB to run the ball, you get four, five, or six yards with the bonus of shoulder pads at or slightly below belt level a couple times, does the urge to run that game perhaps go away? Has it been tried? Successfully?

Most of the walk around defenses occur on 3rd & long, so you would basically be giving up the ball by running this play.

ScottDCP
08-03-2010, 07:11 AM
Most of the walk around defenses occur on 3rd & long, so you would basically be giving up the ball by running this play.

Most yes, but I think back to that game against New England, and it started on first and ten. And if it's done inside the five, aren't most teams already planning to punt, and just hoping to get up near the ten, without turning it over? At least, most teams with offenses that aren't spectacular, and which seem to be the target for this?