PDA

View Full Version : Whats your thoughts ? Is there going to be a Lock out in 2011 yes or no?

SRK1
08-03-2010, 12:58 AM
I don`t think in the end there will be any lockout...I think the owners and the players will see that a lock out helps no one and they will come to some kind of agreement before its too late..Theres to much to be lost by both sides...Lets hope both sides wise up....I mean they both have a great thing going ...dont mess it up.

DannyMilk
08-03-2010, 01:04 AM
I agree as far as the fact that both sides would lose too much. The only thing that worries me is HOW FAR AWAY both sides seem. As I've mentioned on other posts on this topic, I'm not the most well-informed person on this topic, but as a fan I see something getting worked out, mainly because I think football rules and I can't go a season without it.

bas3643
08-03-2010, 01:06 AM
You couldn't have said it any better SRK1. Obviously I dont think that there will be a lockout in 2011. From what I hear about the CBA problem now, someone on one side is going to have to do alot of giving in..... But by time its said and done we will have football in 2011 and for years to come..

OverTheTop
08-03-2010, 01:17 AM
I agree as far as the fact that both sides would lose too much. The only thing that worries me is HOW FAR AWAY both sides seem. As I've mentioned on other posts on this topic, I'm not the most well-informed person on this topic, but as a fan I see something getting worked out, mainly because I think football rules and I can't go a season without it.

Yes it appears that both sides would lose too much to not get a deal done at some point. The part that has me baffled the most is how can the owners still get the television revenue without having the games to be played on TV?? This is something that has been discussed in the forums and Cris mentioned it in a webcast. That just seems wrong about the owners not having to take too much of a hit due to the money they will get from the networks without any games being played. The mind tells me that there will be a lockout but my gut and heart tells me there will be football in 2011.

StarvinMarvin
08-03-2010, 02:16 AM
Yes it appears that both sides would lose too much to not get a deal done at some point. The part that has me baffled the most is how can the owners still get the television revenue without having the games to be played on TV?? This is something that has been discussed in the forums and Cris mentioned it in a webcast. That just seems wrong about the owners not having to take too much of a hit due to the money they will get from the networks without any games being played. The mind tells me that there will be a lockout but my gut and heart tells me there will be football in 2011.

As I understand it, the owers do indeed get paid next year even if no games are played. However, the monies they collect in that year will be deducted from monies paid to owners in future years when games ARE played. In effect, they pay back the back by getting reduced dollars down the road. At least that's how the owners are painting it.

As for a lockout? I just can't fathom that the owners and players would kill the golden goose they have created. But I do think nothing will be resolved until the last possible moment.This whole season will see a lot of posturing by both sides, a delay of the draft until say July, maybe a 1 week training camp and then a typical early September Opening weekend. Brinksmanship at it's finest.

Kosar19
08-05-2010, 01:21 PM
I think there will most likely be football next fall, but don't expect any kind of progress until after the season. Companies don't like to start negotiating until they have to, and they may look at the season as a distraction. I don't think it will be easy and it all hinges on the 18 game season I think. There is the real possibility that the owners are really pushing the idea of an 18 game season, and then back off of it if the players are willing to reduce the amount of the "pie" that goes to players salaries. The veterans will end up with more money because of the inevitable rookie wage scale, we keep the 16 game schedule that works well, and we have football next fall.

Or, the owners REALLY want an 18 game season AND to reduce the players cut and we have no football next year. I wouldn't see that as bargaining in good faith, but when Billionairs are arguing with millionairs over a few million dollars, you never know what is going to happen.

GoBigOrGoHome
08-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Let's remember this: the guys who play football are hyper-competetive, strong-willed, stubborn men. Assume that guys who make enough cash to purchase NFL franchises carry those same character traits. This is going to get real hairy before a resolution comes.

Pruitt
08-05-2010, 04:26 PM
It's too depressing to think about. Goddell is a hardass working for 32 hard asses (except Ralph Wilson who's ass undoubtedly sags). They aren't giving an inch.

I smell 1982 all over again.

Dave Lapham
08-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Let's remember the owners opted out of the current deal. It is all about $$$$. The owners feel the current deal is too one sided. Their strike fund will be funded by the networks. There is a future payback, but I think the Direct TV deal recently signed is exempt. The owners will be able to outlast the players financially.....billionaires vs. millionaires. I just hope it does not cost fans an entire season of football. It could get nasty for a while.

bluestree
08-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Couple of comments made this past week. DeSmith stated unequivocally the players will not strike. However, while not asked directly whether the owners would lock out the players in the event they do not reach an agreement, the commish referred to the possibility of there being no Super Bowl in 2012. "I do believe there will be a Super Bowl in Indianapolis in 2012," Goodell said. "If not, we'll work on that."
I believe the owners have decided to try to break the union, and obtain major pay and benefit concessions from the players, fans be damned. Scab football, anyone?