PDA

View Full Version : Report: Favre Retiring from Vikings

SpartaChris
08-03-2010, 10:48 AM
@Jay_Glazer on twitter said he told teammates he will not play this season due to wear and tear. PFT posted this:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/03/report-favre-tells-vikings-hes-not-returning/

Granted I'll believe it when I see it, meaning he has to sign his papers AND not suit up for the first two games this season, but sounds like he's done.

Kinda changes things up a bit..

tbelcher11
08-03-2010, 10:51 AM
@Jay_Glazer on twitter said he told teammates he will not play this season due to wear and tear. PFT posted this:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/03/report-favre-tells-vikings-hes-not-returning/

Granted I'll believe it when I see it, meaning he has to sign his papers AND not suit up for the first two games this season, but sounds like he's done.

Kinda changes things up a bit..
Just like everyone else, I'll believe it when I see it.

GBPKS
08-03-2010, 10:55 AM
My first reaction was "YES!"

My second reaction, after stopping to think about it, was that this "report" is meaningless.

I'm not questioning Jay Glazer or Judd Zulgad - I'm just questioning Brett.

Polishguy00
08-03-2010, 11:01 AM
To quote The Joker: Annnddd here we..........go!

DannyMilk
08-03-2010, 11:15 AM

ditto...just about to put it...Bears fans must think alike haha

DaBearsFan
08-03-2010, 11:19 AM
I find it funny that of the people that have posted, two are GB fans, three (counting myself) are Bears fans and the other has no label.

I echo my fellow Bears fans above me.... Annndddd here we go!

walzav31
08-03-2010, 11:22 AM
It has to be torture if your a Vikings fan. I completely understand the Packers decision to go to Rodgers. Childress should just tell the team. When you produce the way Favre has you can skip camp. I don't care how much he cries, the quotes, the stories and tributes that will come out over the next 3 weeks. He's playing.

Pruitt
08-03-2010, 11:24 AM
What are the odds that this is just a ploy to get away from Minnesota so he can come back to play for the Browns or the Bills?

Oh...

Thought so.

buzmeg
08-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Just wondering if this is a "here we go again" scenario???????????????????

GiantsFaninToronto
08-03-2010, 11:33 AM
I don't buy it. However, if he does finally call it a career, it opens up the door for Chicago to enter into the division crown discussion. I personally feel it's Green Bay's to lose; Favre or no Favre.

ScottDCP
08-03-2010, 11:35 AM
If so, I'll think about it when it happens.

bluestree
08-03-2010, 11:37 AM
What are the odds that this is just a ploy to get away from Minnesota so he can come back to play for the Browns or the Bills?

Oh...

Thought so.

Ever since Holmgren teamed with Mangini I've been looking for a scenario where Brett gets to Cleveland. Think about it, he reunites with Holmgren, a story that would get bigtime play all over the media, and Mangini named a kid after him for god's sake. It would allow Brett to get out from under the pressure in Minnesota. If he doesn't win a Super Bowl with the Vikings, it will be viewed as a failure, but in Cleveland he can make money, extend his records, and not have to worry about throwing another gut wrenching playoff pick, all the while maintaining he's hurting, but he's doing it for his mentor and friend. What a great guy! I still think the most likely scenario is he waits till the Viking faithful and the media think he's done, and then comes riding in to save the day, but the Browns thing has potential. You reading this, Brett? Go to the Browns, it would be huge!

SpartaChris
08-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Just wondering if this is a "here we go again" scenario???????????????????

Of course it is. It's Favre we're talking about. It's only August 3rd. Still, what, 4 weeks before the regular season starts? The longer he takes to file his retirement papers, the more imminent a return is.

Ripperlicious
08-03-2010, 11:47 AM
You guys are really believing this story? Once two-a-day practices are over and once they get out of the dorms, ole Favre will miraculously come back with his teammates breathing a sigh of relief. This is the Favre playbook to feel wanted. You guys are serisouly going to fall for this again.

Polishguy00
08-03-2010, 11:50 AM
The funny thing is that this is great news for us Bears fans if it actually happens. With how much "boy who cried wolf" stuff that has gone on for the last, oh, six years, I will believe he is retired for this season after week 6 of the season this year and then after week 10 next year. It there is a lockout, make that week 10 of 2012. Wait!! THAT is what the Mayans were talking about! Brilliant prognosticators. I'm going to find me a Mayan for my next shot at the lotto.

EDIT: So, in other news, I opened the garage door to get the car out this morning.

SpartaChris
08-03-2010, 12:04 PM
@Ripper- No one said they believed it, only that it's been reported. I'll believe it when he signs the paperwork and fails to suit up in week 1.

ReaderM
08-03-2010, 12:06 PM

I'm still upset his first "retirement" overshadowed Sapp retiring that same day so him starting this all over again is just stupid.

That being said, Vikings fans have to be really scared right now, this team is really dependent on Favre and the Vikings made a number of moves this off-season such as not trying to get McNabb with the assumption that Favre comes back. Favre was a huge part in the high level of play that Rice, Berrian and Harvin had last year and without him back there, teams can easily just stack 8 or 9 in the box. Also we can't underestimate how much he helped the Defense out also because last year by actually the team having a competent O, it actually gave the D some rest instead of them being on the field constantly or having to comeback on soon after a turnover. T-Jackson just at this point in time does not cut it as a starting QB for that team and if Favre "retires" then a lot of that Superbowl hype could easily go down the drain.May still be a a playoff contender but Superbowl one, we would have to see.

Bengals1181
08-03-2010, 12:08 PM
You guys are really believing this story? Once two-a-day practices are over and once they get out of the dorms, ole Favre will miraculously come back with his teammates breathing a sigh of relief. This is the Favre playbook to feel wanted. You guys are serisouly going to fall for this again.

nah, if he was going to do that he wouldn't have said anything at all.

I buy it this time.

buzmeg
08-03-2010, 12:11 PM
August is here and all media attention has shifted to:

"F A R V E"

End this crap once and forever!
[misspelling is intentional]

bluestree
08-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Adam Scheffter is reporting for ESPN that he is "certain" the Vikings will try to dissuade Favre from retiring by "sweetening" his contract. Chris Mortensen is reporting, with a smirk on his face, that "the text messages definitely went out" to players and mgmt. Andy Reid was questioned at Eagles camp and he smirked as well and said, more or less he would believe it when it happens. Mort also said the Vikings believe the situation is still "fluid". While the facial expressions and body language gives the impression no one is buying Favre's latest threat to retire, Mike Golic says he doesn't believe Favre could get away with unretiring for a third time, "i just don't see how he could do it." said Golic.

RSConn5
08-03-2010, 12:25 PM
He told Minnesota he was staying retired at this time last year too. That ankle will suddenly start feeling better once training camp is over and I wont believe he is retired until he isn't on the team for the opening kickoff in New Orleans. And even then i wouldn't put it past him to come back around mid-season if the Vikings are 5-3 to finish it out.

ReaderM
08-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Adam Scheffter is reporting for ESPN that he is "certain" the Vikings will try to dissuade Favre from retiring by "sweetening" his contract.

Which probably this whole thing is about in the first place, sigh... Usually I'm not a fan of teams and ownerships treat players and the respect a lot of them give players that has sweat & bleed for them in their later years though I do understand that the NFL is business first and foremost. However, I have to applaud how the Green Bay Packers handled Favre for the most part and basically said hey, you retired, we've moved on but sorry. Of course that whole Ordeal was crazy and probably if Favre hadn't told GB " well trade me to Tampa Bay and I will kick your asses in week 4" I probably would be going through something similar as the Vikings Fans and Chucky would still be coaching here.
[/I]

bluestree
08-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Chilly just gave his daily interview from camp and said "I haven't heard anything about Favre retiring." I kid you not!

Bunghole
08-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Ever since Holmgren teamed with Mangini I've been looking for a scenario where Brett gets to Cleveland. Think about it, he reunites with Holmgren, a story that would get bigtime play all over the media, and Mangini named a kid after him for god's sake. It would allow Brett to get out from under the pressure in Minnesota. If he doesn't win a Super Bowl with the Vikings, it will be viewed as a failure, but in Cleveland he can make money, extend his records, and not have to worry about throwing another gut wrenching playoff pick, all the while maintaining he's hurting, but he's doing it for his mentor and friend. What a great guy! I still think the most likely scenario is he waits till the Viking faithful and the media think he's done, and then comes riding in to save the day, but the Browns thing has potential. You reading this, Brett? Go to the Browns, it would be huge!

As a Bengals fan, I would love this. We could finally put the Brett Favre curse to bed forever.

footballgal
08-03-2010, 12:55 PM
He just cannot stand that nobody was talking about him this offseason. But now SI.com has links to all his great games and his stats, blah blah blah. Whether it's true or not, everybody has to talk about him now. The man has a serious narcissism problem.

Hirly5
08-03-2010, 12:57 PM
I think he will retire because he doesn't think his ankle can hold up for a whole season. He wants to be able to say that he never missed a start in the NFL. What if he pulls a Pedro Martinez and comes back in the middle of the year so he doesn't have to go through a 16 game schedule and possibly a deep run in the playoffs? Week 10 Farve comes in to save the Vikings as their season teeters on disaster. ESPN aka the Evil Empire would eat this up.

At this point in his career, he has so much money that Minnesota "sweetening" his contract can't be much of a factor. He just wants to toss the football around, sell some wranglers and take his prilosec so the craw daddies don't give him indigestion.

As far as some mentioning him going to other teams, no way will that happen. He is content with playing 8 home games in a dome plus the away games that will be played in warm weather and in a dome.

I am sure Rachel Nichols is posted up on his front yard giving around the clock reports to the Evil Empire.

Bunghole
08-03-2010, 01:00 PM
He just cannot stand that nobody was talking about him this offseason. But now SI.com has links to all his great games and his stats, blah blah blah. Whether it's true or not, everybody has to talk about him now. The man has a serious narcissism problem.

I'm sure that a fresh set of Wrangler commercials designed to portray Brett as the everyman, backyard football gunslinger are already in production to soothe his ego.

bluestree
08-03-2010, 01:22 PM
ESPN and ESPNEWS are running wall to wall Favre, calling everybody in the league, showing highlights, brett's top 10 games etc. He's gotta love this!

Bengals1181
08-03-2010, 01:55 PM
I am sure Rachel Nichols is posted up on his front yard giving around the clock reports to the Evil Empire.

I wish Rachel Nichols was posted up on my front yard.

Ripperlicious
08-03-2010, 02:03 PM
OK, here's the REAL STORY about what's going on. Favre is a DIVA, we all know this. He is also very smart. What he is doing, as he has the past three or so years, is making the teams he plays for practically beg him to play. He not only does this to feel wanted, he does this to protect his legacy in case he falters in the coming year. Again, this is very smart. On one hand, if he does well, then more power to him and he can basically do no wrong. On the other hand, if he falters, he can say, "Well, I only came back because my teammates wanted me too"...He's do media savvy, he can throw a pick to kill their chances at going to a Super Bowl AGAIN, and shrug it off as his body is breaking down. Either way, he wins, and that's what the whole Favre in/Favre out waffling is all about.

BearThruThickNThin
08-03-2010, 02:06 PM
I can't believe we are going through this again, for the third straight season. I'm going to try to avoid paying attention until I see Tarvaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels under center in Week 1. Even then he might consider coming in midway through the season to save the day. If he's too lazy for training camp he may be too lazy for the first half of the season.

Kosar19
08-03-2010, 02:07 PM
As Simmons said ....@sportsguy33 Where can I bet that Favre is coming back during the 2010 season? Just give me odds. This is a lay-up. Free money.

Ripperlicious
08-03-2010, 02:13 PM
So do I think he's retiring. No way. Favre wants his records (namely the consecutive games played and TD total) to remain intact, and Peyton Manning is still too close to him in both regards. There's no way Favre is hanging it up. No way indeed.

Wordsworth
08-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Can we all agree not to get caught up in the Favre hype and just wait until something ACTUALLY happens? :P

Alex
08-03-2010, 02:34 PM
how about we discuss whats going to happen with the vikings without him...as opposed to argue whether or not the reports will hold true. http://footballproslive.com/showthread.php/818-Vikings-still-contenders-without-Favre

GoBigOrGoHome
08-03-2010, 02:35 PM
I wish Rachel Nichols was posted up on my front yard.

I'll offer my yard as a tour stop as well.

GoBigOrGoHome
08-03-2010, 02:38 PM
100,000+ people have voted in the 'is Favre actually retiring?' SN poll on ESPN and it is at 50/50. But, the WWL is eulogizing his career ad nauseum. Makes me sick.

Alex
08-03-2010, 02:39 PM
As Simmons said ....@sportsguy33 Where can I bet that Favre is coming back during the 2010 season? Just give me odds. This is a lay-up. Free money.

can anyone find the odds??? :-D

Wordsworth
08-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Totally agree about having Rachel Nichols in my front yard. Actually can I trade her in for Hannah Storm?

GBPKS
08-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Look, at some point, Favre will have to retire for real. Why not now?

cobber66
08-03-2010, 02:59 PM
You can bet Chilly is doing everything he can to change Brett's mind again!

chris
08-03-2010, 03:02 PM
@Ripper- No one said they believed it, only that it's been reported. I'll believe it when he signs the paperwork and fails to suit up in week 1.

or weeks 2-10......

FLPackerFan
08-03-2010, 03:34 PM
This whole thing is a circus. I will believe his is done when the papers are filed. Minnesota's season is doomed this year just like the Packers 2008 season was. Teams that win it all do not have these kind of distractions going on. Just look at the history of the teams that made it to the Super Bowl. The way Aaron Rodgers handled himself in 2008 and has blossomed as a top QB ad leader has me convinced he will win a Super Bowl for the Packers. Perhaps more than one. No one player is bigger than the team. In Minnesota, Favre has what he had under Mike Sherman in Green Bay. He calls the shots, not the head coach. Childress and Bevell are his patsies. McCarthey and Thompson would not give him free reign and you saw what happened. The 2007 season was great, but just as easily they could have lost a few more games. Luck has to be on your side at times. Look at Minnesota Vs San Francisco last year. They won on a last second hail mary that got caught. I can feel for the Vikings players who worked their tail off in the off season only to have to go through this all over again. Even if T-Jak has improved, he is still doomed. He will be under more pressure than before and will have to live up to putting up numbers that Favre did last season. If Favre comes back, i don't think he will have the season he had last year. He will be 41 years old. he took a real beating in the NFC title game and is coming off ankle surgery. If you see the teams 2010 schedule, it is tough early on.

New Orleans - Beat him to a pulp last year
Miami - No push over, will come after him. Plays a 3-4
Detroit - Always play the Vikings tough and are improved. Get Suh signed, and who knows, could add a Haynesworth if he gets out of D.C
NY Jets - Rex Ryan will go after him. I think they will be motivated. I predict Favre gets knocked out of that game.
Dallas - Will be bringing the heat on him again
Green Bay - Improved, will bring it this year. Motivated.
New England - Belichik will go after him.

This is not an easy schedule. The Vikes play some of the top defenses and the Saints showed what to do. Plus the loss of Chester Taylor will hurt because he was a good blocker and would pick up blitzes. On top of that Sidney Rice is not 100%. The Vikings gambled and lost. Last year they should have won it all but blew it. Now you have to deal with this. Even if he does show up and play, if he has bad games or gets hurts, their will be resentment in the locker room. It is a potential powder keg and the fuse has been lit..

bluestree
08-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Totally agree about having Rachel Nichols in my front yard. Actually can I trade her in for Hannah Storm?

Two words, Wordsworth (?) Bonnie Bernstein.

bluestree
08-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Here's an interesting prediction before the fact by Leroy Butler;

Is it real or is a contract ploy?
By Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel
Aug. 3, 2010 1:52 p.m. |(27) Comments

Green Bay -- Last night I was talking to former Packers safety LeRoy Butler about his comments not so long ago that Brett Favre didn't know what to do with himself after football and that's why he couldn't retire.

Butler also mentioned that he had heard through some NFL channels that Favre was trying to extend his contract to three years at $13 million a year. He didn't know if Favre wanted guaranteed money behind this year or some kind of assurance he would be paid next year if there was a lockout.

Then, this morning, comes news that Favre has informed people with the Vikings that he is retiring. Who exactly he informed hasn't been reported, but some players reportedly got text messages saying that he was done.

Early this afternoon, FoxSports.com reported that the Vikings are prepared to offer Favre more money and more time away from camp prior to the season. Since nothing has come out of the Favre camp yet, and the Vikings haven't released any official word of Favre making a decision, one can only assume that his retirement is not guaranteed.

FLPackerFan
08-03-2010, 03:41 PM
These are not the things that Super Bowl Championship teams should be dealing with when they are expected to win. Distractions like this can kill teams.

SpartaChris
08-04-2010, 02:29 PM
or weeks 2-10......

Nah, if he hasn't suited up by week 1, I'll believe he's done. By then his consecutive starting streak will be over. As we all know he's a narcissist, there'd be no point for him in continuing if he can't keep that record.

Of course you could be right..