PDA

View Full Version : Vikings still contenders without Favre?

Alex
08-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Without Favre, the Vikings can immediately take themselves out of the ranks of "Superbowl Contenders". I think the Packers can put themselves in the driving seat of the NFC North going in to the season. The Vikings still have a solid lineup, and should make the playoffs, but as Cris Collinsworth mentioned in one of his recent posts - Brett Favre was the difference in that team.

Wordsworth
08-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Tarvaris Jackson took them to the playoffs two years ago, so hope is not lost in Minnesota. All reports I've heard about Jackson has said he has improved leaps and bounds from when he was the starter and that if he were asked to play, he wouldn't hurt the team as many have predicted. I don't know how good he'll be but even average QB play and the Vikings will still be beasts. They're just too good to immediately fall out of contention without Favre, who they were successful without just season before last.

GBPKS
08-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Without Favre, the Vikings can immediately take themselves out of the ranks of "Superbowl Contenders". I think the Packers can put themselves in the driving seat of the NFC North going in to the season. The Vikings still have a solid lineup, and should make the playoffs, but as Cris Collinsworth mentioned in one of his recent posts - Brett Favre was the difference in that team.

I think the Vikings will be hard pressed to make the playoffs without Favre. They did go 10-6 with Tarvaris/Frerotte in 2008, but the core of the team is two years older now, Green Bay was in a rebuilding phase that year, and the 2010 schedule for the NFC North is absolutely brutal.

I think it will be a successful year for the Vikings without Favre if they can stay at the 9-7 level.

A Favre-less Viking team definitely makes the road easier for the Packers, but they still have to play the games and are an Aaron Rodgers injury away from being on the long road to nowhere themselves.

Turk Schonert
08-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Tarvaris Jackson took them to the playoffs two years ago, so hope is not lost in Minnesota. All reports I've heard about Jackson has said he has improved leaps and bounds from when he was the starter and that if he were asked to play, he wouldn't hurt the team as many have predicted. I don't know how good he'll be but even average QB play and the Vikings will still be beasts. They're just too good to immediately fall out of contention without Favre, who they were successful without just season before last.

I agree, the Vikings are a very good football team. The Vikings had a playoff team in '08, but they needed a QB that could take them to the Super Bowl, thus, they got Favre. Tarvaris has benefitted by watching Favre play, by being in the meeting rooms with him, and by seeing Brett work the locker room. Tarvaris will be a better QB then what people saw 2 years ago. Good enough to get the Vikings to the Super Bowl ? ... Brett couldn't even do that !

Alex
08-03-2010, 03:03 PM

There's still a leadership mentality that you're forgetting. The top teams all have a quarterback they can rally around and behind, a leader - Look at the Colts and the Saints. Is Tavaris Jackson that guy for the Vikings? I don't know, but Brett Favre certainly was. There's no denying that Favre brought something besides his arm to the Vikings...call it leadership, call it unity, call it whatever but he gave the Vikings a new spirit which is what really got them so far last year. Ironically, (you could argue) he is also what ended it for them...but hey, let's not be too hard on ol' Brett :)

Kosar19
08-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Jackson may be greatly improved but without Favre there's no one to riegn in Childess' incompetence. The Viking will still contend for a playoff berth, and may even do well, but their flaws are combustable. Will Peterson be able to hold on to the ball? Will they go home with three timeouts in their pocket, or waste them all in the third quarter?

FLPackerFan
08-03-2010, 03:12 PM
When in the past seasons have you seen a team with distractions like this and the circus it created actually win a Super Bowl. Most teams that have great seasons and win it all do not have these distractions. Plus the Vikings have one other thing working against him, their head coach is clueless. Even if T-Jak improves, how much respect is he going to have. The other thing is that I think one big loss they have is Chester Taylor. He was great at picking up blitzes.

bluestree
08-03-2010, 03:20 PM
I agree Alex, it's the leadership or maybe rallying point the Vikings lacked. Favre was like a standard they could rally around. Do they get that from TJack? I don't think so. He may have learned sitting, but he's been a starter and the fact that he was demoted, even for Brett, can't help make his guys feel like he's the man. Before Brett, this team was lead by the defense, maybe they can get back to that and running AP, but it will be tough to keep up with Green Bay's O, or Cutler for that matter. It's gonna be a war in the NFC North no matter what happens. That schedule will make it tough for everybody, and it will magnify the impact of injuries.

Alex
08-03-2010, 03:26 PM
I agree, the Vikings are a very good football team. The Vikings had a playoff team in '08, but they needed a QB that could take them to the Super Bowl, thus, they got Favre. Tarvaris has benefitted by watching Favre play, by being in the meeting rooms with him, and by seeing Brett work the locker room. Tarvaris will be a better QB then what people saw 2 years ago. Good enough to get the Vikings to the Super Bowl ? ... Brett couldn't even do that !

exactly! btw, is there confirmation that Tavaris is the guy in Min or will there be open competition? Sage Rosenfels come on down? :-D

Wordsworth
08-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Jackson may be greatly improved but without Favre there's no one to riegn in Childess' incompetence. The Viking will still contend for a playoff berth, and may even do well, but their flaws are combustable. Will Peterson be able to hold on to the ball? Will they go home with three timeouts in their pocket, or waste them all in the third quarter?

I have heard several comments about Childress' "incompetence" and wanted to know more about this. What are his mistakes? Is it poor clock management, playcalling, what?

FLPackerFan
08-03-2010, 03:39 PM
How will Tavaris handle the pressure? He was demoted once already. if he has a bad game the fans will let him know. Plus he will be under pressure to not only lead this team, but to match Favre's numbers and leadership from last year. I don't think he is mentally tough enough to handle things like Aaron Rodgers did. plus I don't think Childress is a good enough coach to make him into an elite QB. I have said this several times before, the loss of Chester Taylor is huge. He was great back there as a blocker and receiver. Also Rice is hurt, he won't last all season if he is hurt now.

Alex
08-03-2010, 03:40 PM
I agree Alex, it's the leadership or maybe rallying point the Vikings lacked. Favre was like a standard they could rally around. Do they get that from TJack? I don't think so. He may have learned sitting, but he's been a starter and the fact that he was demoted, even for Brett, can't help make his guys feel like he's the man. Before Brett, this team was lead by the defense, maybe they can get back to that and running AP, but it will be tough to keep up with Green Bay's O, or Cutler for that matter. It's gonna be a war in the NFC North no matter what happens. That schedule will make it tough for everybody, and it will magnify the impact of injuries.

I think it's going to be a battle in the NFC as a whole...The AFC there are some definite teams looking great out of the gate (Colts, Jets, Ravens, Bengals, etc.) but its open season in the NFC. The Packers, Cowboys, Giants, and Saints (obviously), look like the font runners to me, but none of those teams (minus the Saints for winning the Bowl) have the same "je ne sais quoi" that the AFC team frontrunners have...I could easily see any of those teams beating one another and losing to lesser teams just the same...

Tinindian
08-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Are the Vikings still contenders without Brett Favre? Nope.

rxbrown86
08-03-2010, 09:00 PM
No, they are not contenders. I have the Packers, Giants, 49ers, Falcons, Cowboys, and of course the Saints ahead of them in the NFC. The Packers front office really looks good now that Favre has called it quits. Think about it, Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy's decision to part ways with Favre has brought their team closer together and has established them as an NFC contender for years to come. Simply because they have a great young QB leading their team. It was an unpopular decision at the time, but one that now was obviously a brilliant move. Meanwhile, the Vikings franchise has been set back several years because they may not have a QB for the foreseeable future. I believe the fortunes of both teams changed when the Packers parted ways with Favre and the Vikings signed him a year later. All because Thompson and McCarthy had the balls to make a tough call... this is what leadership is all about.

msclemons
08-03-2010, 09:11 PM
No one has faith in the Human Helicopter?

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww264/Jhereg-HG/sage.png

RSConn5
08-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Minnesota wont make playoffs without Favre. Have you seen their schedule???
@ New Orleans
Miami
Detriot
@ NYJ
Dallas
@ Green Bay
@ New England

Thats a possible 1-6 start.

IndyColtsFan
08-03-2010, 10:31 PM

that was such an awesome game- thanks for reminding me about that game

IndyColtsFan
08-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Minnesota wont make playoffs without Favre. Have you seen their schedule???
@ New Orleans
Miami
Detriot
@ NYJ
Dallas
@ Green Bay
@ New England

Thats a possible 1-6 start.

They won't start 1-6- they still have a ton of talent on that team with AD, Winfield, the DLINE,- yes it will be harder to make the playoffs without Brett but they can still do it

Colts01
08-03-2010, 10:34 PM

one of our better comebacks!

FLPackerFan
08-03-2010, 11:25 PM
No, they are not contenders. I have the Packers, Giants, 49ers, Falcons, Cowboys, and of course the Saints ahead of them in the NFC. The Packers front office really looks good now that Favre has called it quits. Think about it, Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy's decision to part ways with Favre has brought their team closer together and has established them as an NFC contender for years to come. Simply because they have a great young QB leading their team. It was an unpopular decision at the time, but one that now was obviously a brilliant move. Meanwhile, the Vikings franchise has been set back several years because they may not have a QB for the foreseeable future. I believe the fortunes of both teams changed when the Packers parted ways with Favre and the Vikings signed him a year later. All because Thompson and McCarthy had the balls to make a tough call... this is what leadership is all about.

Another thing that makes is a brilliant move is the fact they received a second round pick from the Jets when they traded Favre. Thompson used that second round pick he got for Favre to trade up and back into the first round to draft Clay Matthews Jr who ended up on the All Rookie team and will be a fixture on the defense for years to come. So the Packers have their franchise QB for the next 10 years and a franchise linebacker and the Vikings have a big headache, no QB, and a head coach with a contract extension who has no clue!

Wordsworth
08-05-2010, 05:17 PM

That game makes me cringe.

cobber66
08-05-2010, 06:02 PM
In my opinion Favre is the difference between an 8-8 Vikings team that misses the playoffs and an 11-5 team that wins the North.

Wordsworth
08-05-2010, 06:57 PM
As before, they made the playoffs with Tarvaris Jackson two years ago with a poorer offense. With the weapons they have now and Jackson being two years older and mentoring under Favre for a season, I think they could still make the playoffs. Whether or not they could get to the NFC championship game is a huge guess though.

Ragar
08-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Tarvaris Jackson took them to the playoffs two years ago, so hope is not lost in Minnesota.

I love this quote as it misses the entire portion of the year that Jackson was benched for losing the first 2 games, and had an overal record of 3-4, with a playoff loss. Gus Ferotte led that team to the playoffs, going 7-3 in a weak NFC North with a 9-7 Chicago team, a 6-10 Packers, and 0-16 Lions.
There should be no trust in Jackson with this team.

Wordsworth
08-05-2010, 07:10 PM
I love this quote as it misses the entire portion of the year that Jackson was benched for losing the first 2 games, and had an overal record of 3-4, with a playoff loss. Gus Ferotte led that team to the playoffs, going 7-3 in a weak NFC North with a 9-7 Chicago team, a 6-10 Packers, and 0-16 Lions.
There should be no trust in Jackson with this team.

Yeah I totally forgot about Gus Frerotte that season, you're right. I guess I assumed he was still unconscious from bashing his head on the sideline wall (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUNzZlBMM38) :-P

Ragar
08-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Yeah I totally forgot about Gus Frerotte that season, you're right. I guess I assumed he was still unconscious from bashing his head on the sideline wall (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUNzZlBMM38) :-P

I love that one as well :) , of course I'm a big fan of celebration injuries

IndyColtsFan
08-05-2010, 11:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK81Ej5hm8s

this takes the cake for celebration injuries IMO

TheLinc
08-06-2010, 12:57 AM
The first thing I would point to without the assistance of statistics is the Vegas odds of NFC teams making the Super Bowl. Several minds upstairs seem to think Favre means a great deal to the team, and I'm inclined to agree. I'm not shaking in my cleats about a Jackson led offense, skill positions be damned.