PDA

View Full Version : Best/worst announcers

jaGmen
08-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Best- Jim Nantz, Al Michaels, Chris Collinsworth

Worst- Troy Aikman, Joe Buck, (I know he's college but I can't stand Brent Musberger)

Mythology
08-04-2010, 06:30 PM
It's fashionable to rip on Buck/Aikman, but no way are they the worst announcers. Fox gives them the ideal games, their status allows them better access to information, and they typically have more resources in which to help them call a game. They're both above average, in my opinion.

All the play-by-play guys are about the same. It comes down to which analysts give you the most interesting information, and which ones give the least relevant information?

Worst: Tim Ryan, Darryl Johnston, JC Pearson, Dan Dierdorf (and I like Dan, but he's lousy now)

Best: Cris Collinsworth, Solomon Wilcots (he's made big improvement), Ron Jaworski, and Phil Simms (although he annoys the hell out of me)

Honorable Mention: Trent Green is not the best, but he really was good late in the season

Here's some links for reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_on_Fox_announcers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Monday_Night_Football_commentators
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_on_CBS_announcers

darvon
08-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Chris IS a very good announcer. He has brightened the SNF broadcast considerably.

That said, I think inter-personal chemistry is a BIG thing in making an entertaining crew. I liked the old ESPN Sunday Nite threesome, although Theismann by himself is not my cup of tea. With the eternal Gold Standard being Howard/Frank/Dandy Don.

I also love Jaws in about everything he does.

And that guy on Red Zone is a lot of fun.

Bunghole
08-04-2010, 07:03 PM
I'll join in the bootlicking and mention Collinsworth. The simple fact is that he's engaging, enthusiastic and knows his football. The fact that he played on one of the best Bengals teams ever certainly doesn't hurt! Speaking of former Bengals turned announcers/color guys/commentators, I cannot stand Boomer Esiason. He's just too smug and arrogant and makes a nasty habit of dumping on his former team.

Also count me in the group that really liked and misses the Summerall/Madden duo when they were in their prime. Their voices spoke football to me, and despite Madden's goofiness (BAM! WHAM! BOOM! SMASH!...kinda like the cartoon dialogue balloons in the old Batman cartoons) he had an obvious enthusiasm and love of the game.

Al Michaels is currently the very best though. The MNF theme and his voice just resonate with me. And he's really good at his tempo with calling the games.

buzmeg
08-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Back in the day, I enjoyed listening to Ray Scott. Scott broadcast the first two Super Bowls for CBS.

He had a unique style (e.g. : "Starr. . . McGee . . . Touchdown, Green Bay!")

brauneyz
08-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Chris IS a very good announcer. He has brightened the SNF broadcast considerably.

That said, I think inter-personal chemistry is a BIG thing in making an entertaining crew. I liked the old ESPN Sunday Nite threesome, although Theismann by himself is not my cup of tea. With the eternal Gold Standard being Howard/Frank/Dandy Don.

I also love Jaws in about everything he does.

Wow, disagree with everything here except the part about Cris (no H). Can't stand the MNF crew (ever), and just despise three-in-the-booth in general. Jaws may break down plays well elsewhere, but in the MNF gig he's just another competitive clown in the circus.

Al & Cris followed by ... everyone else.

msclemons
08-04-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm one of the 12 people in America who liked Dennis Miller on MNF so my opinion is probably crap, but... Al Michaels is the best play-by-play on the air currently and Cris is an excellent pairing at commentator. Aikman is starting to grow on me like a bad fungus, his football knowledge is pretty sharp despite the fact that he's a Cowboy.

I strongly dislike the Ron Pitts/Tim Ryan combo mostly because the 49ers seem to get them every week and Ryan has a seething hatred for the 49ers that is ill hidden. I'm fairly certain the 49ers stole his lunch money in school or something.

GoBigOrGoHome
08-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Two man booth! Two man booth! Two man booth!

jaGmen
08-05-2010, 12:03 AM
Here are my reasons for all 6

Nantz is a good complement to Simms and really makes play by play come to life
Collinsworth being a former WR knows the game and explains stuff viewers wouldn't pick up on
Michaels has a classic voice

Buck doesn't care about football. His father was a baseball guy and the fact Joe talks monotone throughout the game shows me he doesn't care.
Aikman is so Cowboy biased it isn't funny. Plus he talked about hannah montana during a football game. This year he will rant about how awesome he thinks twilight is
Musbeger says random lines from plays and TV shows that have nothing to do with football

Another guy I like is Tony Siragusa. He has personality during his reports. I kinda like Dierdorf- he stays within the game and doesn't rant about random stuff

BuckeyeRidley
08-05-2010, 12:35 AM
I certainly agree that Al Michaels is the Best!! I've been an NFL & Al Michaels fan since 2002! Cris Collinsworth has been one of my favorite football analysts since his FOX days. He is truly one of the Good ones.

I mean every word I say & truly like the work Al & Cris have put down. They are very deserving of their Sports Emmy wins.

DCBengalsFan
08-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Buck doesn't care about football. His father was a baseball guy and the fact Joe talks monotone throughout the game shows me he doesn't care.

That and he's constantly talking about things that distract from the game. His goal seems to be hosting a talk show with Troy with a game going on in the background; he'll get more excited about something he's talking about away from the game than a touchdown. Ego's way too big on that guy. Another of my least favorites is Gumble (either one) for similar reasons.

I like anybody who can give intelligent analysis and make the game more interesting while not making everything about them. Also having the ability to not speak in a monotone is appreciated.

Darren83
08-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Marv Albert is a highly underrated football announcer. Although he only does MNF with Boomer Esiason now, Marv used to be in the rotation on NBC when they carried the AFC games.

Always loved Marv and Paul Maguire, who was a bit of a Buffalo homer. Obviously, I didn't mind.

In the terrible category: Jaws and Gruden. Neither want to say anything bad about a player or coach, especially Gruden. He's clearly biding his time before making a return to coaching. Doesn't want to tick off a prospective player and/or player's agent.

Darren83
08-05-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm certain it's way under the radar, but the UFL announcers on Versus were quite good.

Dave Sims and Doug Flutie, with sideline reporting from Kordell Stewart.

Hope they are all back this season.

Pruitt
08-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Echo the two man booth sentiment.

Guys I Like: Dick Enberg, Al Michaels, Cris Collinsworth, Darryl Johnston, Gus Johnson (the only man alive who could get excited when the Bills have the ball), Dan Fouts and although he does college only now Brent Musberger.

Guys who seem to want to ruin a game: Dan Dierdorf (his laugh... make it stop!), Tony Siragusa, Solomon Willcots, Buck and Aikman, Ian Eagle and the worst of them all - Brian Billick.

Honorable mention: Ron Pitts for his work on "Destroyed in Seconds"

StarvinMarvin
08-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Unless you see Lapham doing a Big 12 game or the Bengals radio you have no reason to believe me. But the man is GOOD! Does his homework and knows his stuff. I'd love to see him get a network job.

A bit off target since he's not a booth guy, Tony Saragusa. It makes my eyes and ears begin to hemorrage.

TrojanScott
08-05-2010, 04:49 PM
No love for Gruden? I thought he helped MNF a lot.

GoBigOrGoHome
08-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Tirico & Gruden do the Thursday night NFLN games on ESPN Radio. They are really, really good without Jaworski. Too much tension between Jaws & Chucky on MNF.

sabre
08-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Have to go old school. Give me Trumpy, Criqui or Enberg and Olsen.

ReaderM
08-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Here are my reasons for all 6

Including the 3 Mike's, Buck is just one of those guy who during the football game I just can't stand the listen too. He's a baseball announcer that is doing the #1 Fox game and it sometimes drives me crazy. Aikman when you get around his cowboy biased ( honestly, I think most announcers bias ppl come up with are BS, with the exception of Aikman:Cowboys &Herbstreit:Ohio State) is a decent if not very good color guy who can give you needed info on the game. Buck is just too even toned and seems so uninterested no matter the game. Even though I wasn't rooting for the Giants or Pats that game, he absolutely butchered the Tyree Catch that game.

Jim Natz is also a personal favorite and Brian Billick was very pleasant surprise last year.

Swami
08-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Going even further back, I loved Summerall/Brookheiser! And I didn't mind Dennis Miller. His best line ever, from an open at Washington - something along these lines - "Tonight marks the 77th consecutive sellout in Washington, 78 if you count Trent Lott!" I howled at that one, and Miller couldn't stop smirking.

Chris is today's best. Knowledgeable, skilled and projects a sense of fun, as it's just a game, after all. Gus Johnson's a hoot too!