PDA

View Full Version : 3-Headed Monster In DAL

DannyMilk
08-07-2010, 06:38 AM
I wouldn't say that I hate the Cowboys. I disagree that they are America's team...there's no such thing as America's team...I went to school with Romo for one year and got to know him well enough to cheer for him because he was always a good guy around me. So I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan, but I am EXTREMELY interested in how Felix, Tashard, and Marion will play out. Personally, I like Felix the best out of all these guys. Not sure what it is, but when I watch him play I love the guy. I like Tashard a lot too, and Barber isn't a bum himself. How would you distibute the carries with these guys? I think it's safe to say IMHO that Jones is the most explosive, but who's the best blocker? Who is best as far as receptions coming out of that backfield? I think it will be very interesting how it all plays out in the D, and for once, I will be paying attention to the Cowboys backfield (yes, that was a knock on Emmitt and a plug for Walter, bite me haha)

souza
08-07-2010, 08:32 AM
Jones 55%
Barber 30%
Choice 15%

Barber is by far the best blocker, choice and jones are comparable receivers... Felix Jones is the future, Barber needs to be fresh to have the most impact and Choice's versatility is an added weapon, especially in relationship to the rest of the cowboys offensive personnel...

Bengals1181
08-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Best RB corp in the league.

WashProWilly
08-07-2010, 11:37 AM

You hush your mouth! Its clearly Benson, Scott and Leonard!

:D

KabaModernFan
08-07-2010, 12:24 PM
If Felix Jones ever stays healthy, and they move Barber back into that deadly role as a closer...that's a ground attack that could potentially dominate games on a weekly basis. Then throw in Choice and it's definitely one of the best RB corps in the league. Not sure they would be the best, but definitely in the conversation.

souza
08-07-2010, 12:26 PM

Disagree wholeheartedly... If youre only qualifying true running back committees with at least two proven RBs, Id take Carolina, KC, and Baltimore over the Cowboys

Debatable: Buffalo, Miami, and NYJ (really high on Greene, mainly)
Sleeper committees in 2010 who may be better: Arizona, NYG, Washington, Chicago, New Orleans, San Diego

If you were just trading running backs team to team, Id take Peterson and Johnson (and whoevers with them) over the Cowboys' "three headed monster" (ATL and JAX are debatable)

Just my two cents, a great FPL debate topic...

Pattrick
08-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Jones 55%
Barber 30%
Choice 15%

Barber is by far the best blocker, choice and jones are comparable receivers... Felix Jones is the future, Barber needs to be fresh to have the most impact and Choice's versatility is an added weapon, especially in relationship to the rest of the cowboys offensive personnel...

Completely agree. I'm sure everyone remembers how effective Barber was coming off the bench? It seemed like his productions went down terribly after they gave him the starting job. He never seemed to care that he wasn't the starter. He always seems to be a team player and keeps out of ntrouble and stays in the film room, from everything you hear about him on the Dallas area radio talk shows. I think that as long as he keeps getting paid starter money, he should be fine coming off the bench.

RSConn5
08-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Barber is the best blocker and Felix is the best receiver out of the backfield. There are better 1-2 punches in the league but no team has a better trio than Dallas.

They need to give Felix atleast 20 touches a game whether thats in the run game, recieving out of the backfield, or in the return game because he is just a game breaker. I like to think of him as a poor mans Chris Johnson.

If Barber is healthy this year then get him back into that closer type role. Nobody will want to try and tackle a fresh Marion Barber in the 4th quarter after having to chase Felix Jones around all day. And he gets the short yardage and goal line plays.

Tashard gets whatever is left over and gets the carries in Dallas' version of the wildcat which he is great in.

Bengals1181
08-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Disagree wholeheartedly... If youre only qualifying true running back committees with at least two proven RBs, Id take Carolina, KC, and Baltimore over the Cowboys

Debatable: Buffalo, Miami, and NYJ (really high on Greene, mainly)
Sleeper committees in 2010 who may be better: Arizona, NYG, Washington, Chicago, New Orleans, San Diego

If you were just trading running backs team to team, Id take Peterson and Johnson (and whoevers with them) over the Cowboys' "three headed monster" (ATL and JAX are debatable)

Just my two cents, a great FPL debate topic...

you could make an argument for Carolina. All the rest? no way.

KabaModernFan
08-07-2010, 08:46 PM
you could make an argument for Carolina. All the rest? no way.

How can you not argue Baltimore or Miami? Rice, McGahee, and McClain seems to me like a more accomplished and talented trio than Dallas has. I'm not sure I'd take Dallas over Brown and Ricky either. New Orleans was a good argument last year with Thomas, Bush, and Bell but not anymore I suppose.

Bengals1181
08-07-2010, 08:53 PM
How can you not argue Baltimore or Miami? Rice, McGahee, and McClain seems to me like a more accomplished and talented trio than Dallas has. I'm not sure I'd take Dallas over Brown and Ricky either. New Orleans was a good argument last year with Thomas, Bush, and Bell but not anymore I suppose.

Dallas def over Baltimore. Mcgahee's not that good anymore (never was that great to begin with), and McClain is good, but not better than any of Dallas' guys.

Dallas over Miami too.

RSConn5
08-07-2010, 09:02 PM

Baltimore is all Rice! McGahee is pretty much done at this point in his career. He is a decent backup and can give you some goal line carries but he will be out of the league in a couple of years. And isn't McClain the fullback?? I know he played some tailback a couple years ago whenever they had some injuries but i thought they pretty put him at straight fullback last year. When you have a guy that goes for over 2,000 yards from scrimmage it qualifys as a featured back not a committee.

Rice is better than all the Cowboy runningbacks but i would take all 3 of the Cowboy runnnigbacks over McGahee and McClain.

KabaModernFan
08-08-2010, 12:51 AM
Dallas def over Baltimore. Mcgahee's not that good anymore (never was that great to begin with), and McClain is good, but not better than any of Dallas' guys.

Dallas over Miami too.

LeRon McClain isn't better than Tashard Choice? Choice is largely unproven, and I think you're overrating Felix Jones just a little bit. He hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy for a full season, and that has to factor into rating him. For me it's this simple:

Rice > Jones (Not disputable)
Barber > McGahee (Semi-disputable, but that's probably being generous)
McClain > Choice (Simply because his better is better. McClain is better at pounding the ball inside than Choice is at anything he does specifically)

RSConn5
08-08-2010, 01:18 AM
Tashard is better than both McClain & McGahee. Just because McClain is a better short yardage guy doesn't make him better than Choice. Tashard is a better all around back. He could start on a lot of NFL teams. And no we aren't overrating Jones he is an absolute stud. Rice is better than all of Dallas' RBs but then the 3 Cowboy RBs are better than the other RBs from Baltimore.

souza
08-08-2010, 09:16 AM
LeRon McClain isn't better than Tashard Choice? Choice is largely unproven, and I think you're overrating Felix Jones just a little bit. He hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy for a full season, and that has to factor into rating him. For me it's this simple:

McClain > Choice (Simply because his better is better. McClain is better at pounding the ball inside than Choice is at anything he does specifically)

Go out for a night and come home to a great FPL discussion... Agree pretty close with the above statement.

While I wouldnt necessarily define Baltimore as a "running back by committee," they are a three headed monster as much as Dallas can claim. Each player has a clearly defined role that they fill extremely well (McGahee half the carries as Barber, McClain -18 to choice). RSCONN5, I think you are underrating all three backs in Baltimore...

Ray Rice has proven to be head and shoulders above any back in Dallas to this point and one of the 3 or 4 most complete running backs in the NFL (your 2,000 yards from scrimmage point helps) and I am one of the biggest Felix Jones supporters on here. Rice is everything the Cowboys want Felix Jones to become as the featured back in Dallas. Whatever the best case scenario for Jones' potential is this season, Ray Rice has already done it and maybe surpassed it.

McGahee had one less touchdown than the Cowboys' three-headed monster, while averaging 5 yards a carry, including 16 for 167 in week 17 (vs Oakland, but still...) Dallas' three headed surpassed 167 rushing yards in only 4 games, altogether. I dont really see how McGahee is "done," just a lightened load because of Rice's greatness. If Jones was Ray Rice to this point in his career in terms of completeness and durability, the distribution would be a lot closer to the Ravens (which I see being more of the case in 2010).

LeRon McClain is a two-time Pro Bowl, All-Pro player who rushed for 900 and 10 in 2008, "out of his element at running back." The guy can do it all, while qualifying arguably as the most complete "fullback" in the NFL. He's even had as many or more receptions as Jones and Choice did in 2009, each of the past two seasons. Choice is a singular threat that is dangerous, but in no way possesses the rare skill set of McClain.

Give me Baltimore's three headed monster over Dallas' in a heartbeat...

Carolina's backfield is significantly better than Dallas...

Still waiting on the argument for why Dallas' running backs are better than Kansas City's as well...

Good debate regardless!

souza
08-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Ask Dallas what they thought of McClain and McGahee in 2008... McClain went for 22-139-1 and McGahee 8-108-1 in a 33-24 win @ Dallas without Rice (coincidentally one of Choice's top performances as a Cowboy, as well)

Bengals1181
08-08-2010, 10:24 AM

see, you got it all wrong.

Barber = Rice

Jones > Mcgahee (not that close)

Choice > McClain

souza
08-08-2010, 10:45 AM
there isnt a single person in Dallas that thinks Barber is better than Jones at this point in their respective careers (let alone Rice's equal!!!!!!!!!)... not players, coaches, fans, the front office, Barber's family, or Barber himself.

Im still sticking to the argument that if you polled NFL personnel people... As many or more would place greater value on McClain's unique skill set than Choice's attributes

Pruitt
08-08-2010, 10:46 AM
I almost mentioned Buffalo's 3 running backs, but then realized that I was kidding myself.

Pattrick
08-08-2010, 01:25 PM
I almost mentioned Buffalo's 3 running backs, but then realized that I was kidding myself.

You might be onto something, keep an eye on them this year, they'll surprise a lot of people. CJ Spiller is lightning in a bottle man.

kotar44
08-08-2010, 01:38 PM
will it even matter? The 'Boys seem to want to force themselves to be a passing team no matter how good the running game is, and as a Cowboy hater that is good news to me. I'd be much more scared of them if they committed to being a running team matched with what should be an impressive defense...but as long as "Danny White" Romo is throwing all over the field, they are a threat to make the playoffs, but thats about it.

RSConn5
08-10-2010, 02:42 AM
see, you got it all wrong.

Barber = Rice

Jones > Mcgahee (not that close)

Choice > McClain

Ok im a Cowboy fan and even i think this is crazy. Rice is one of the top 5 backs in the league and reminds me a lot of Marshall Faulk. Barber doesn't even compare to Rice. I do agree with the other 2 parts though.

Bengals1181
08-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Ok im a Cowboy fan and even i think this is crazy. Rice is one of the top 5 backs in the league and reminds me a lot of Marshall Faulk. Barber doesn't even compare to Rice. I do agree with the other 2 parts though.

'eh that's because Cowboys fans don't appreciate Barber. Even when he made the pro bowl fans were trying to run him out of town.

They can both catch the ball out of the backfield, both can turn the corner on outside runs, Barber has better power as an inside back.

Andy Freeland
08-10-2010, 11:14 AM
I agree with RSConn. Ray Rice is a top 5 back. Barber is a good player, but Rice is clearly better in my opinion.