PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Salary Caps

StaggerMcTipsy
08-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Just wondering if there's anyone out there (who isn't an agent) who DOESN'T think instituting a cap on rookie salaries is a good idea, and if not, why?

Anyone?

Anyone?

souza
08-07-2010, 02:50 PM
(crickets chirping)

I think its funny that teams no matter what, have always continued to eventually give into paying their first round rookies ridiculous amounts of money... there hasnt been any real precedent I can think of, for a team just drawing a line in the sand on an early first rounder and saying "we are only paying this much, otherwise we are probably screwing ourselves and the risk isnt worth the reward...."

bluestree
08-07-2010, 02:53 PM
From a player's perspective, a rookie wage scale (that's really what we're saying when we say rookie cap, there's already a rookie salary pool for each team to stay within) would seem in the long run to generally hold down contracts. Rookie deals set a bar, like Bradford has done for Manning and Brady. What would mitigate that, is if the money that isn't paid to the top draft picks went to pay rank and file veterans a little better. But there's no guarantee that would happen, in fact, I doubt the owners would threaten a lockout just to move sideways. They want to reduce player costs, so I'm sure they want a rookie scale and additional wage concessions from the players.

StaggerMcTipsy
08-07-2010, 03:11 PM
From a player's perspective, a rookie wage scale (that's really what we're saying when we say rookie cap, there's already a rookie salary pool for each team to stay within) would seem in the long run to generally hold down contracts. Rookie deals set a bar, like Bradford has done for Manning and Brady. What would mitigate that, is if the money that isn't paid to the top draft picks went to pay rank and file veterans a little better. But there's no guarantee that would happen, in fact, I doubt the owners would threaten a lockout just to move sideways. They want to reduce player costs, so I'm sure they want a rookie scale and additional wage concessions from the players.

I agree there's no guarantee that would happen, but I'd be surprised if it didn't. It seems it would make it easier for owners/GMs to hold on to their star players once they hit free agency that way.

I also agree that rookie deals set the bar, but I think the bar SHOULD be set by veteran contracts, not rookie ones. So the negotiations for a rookie QB's contract should sound more like this: "Jon Kitna's getting paid X as a backup QB with a ton of experience under his belt. You're a rookie quarterback who's never taken a snap in the NFL, so you should be paid X minus Y." I mean, does anyone out there really think Sam Bradford should be paid higher than Peyton Manning?

RSConn5
08-07-2010, 03:21 PM
They need to do a rookie wage scale but only for the top draft picks. If you get drafted in the back half of the 1st round or later you really aren't getting paid a lot in comparison to the other players at your position. Revis is suppose to make $1 mill this year and CJ2K was suppose to make like $550K i think before his deal got restructured and they were both first rounders.

StaggerMcTipsy
08-07-2010, 04:32 PM
They need to do a rookie wage scale but only for the top draft picks. If you get drafted in the back half of the 1st round or later you really aren't getting paid a lot in comparison to the other players at your position. Revis is suppose to make $1 mill this year and CJ2K was suppose to make like $550K i think before his deal got restructured and they were both first rounders.

Agreed. I don't think anyone's sitting around going, "Those fifth-rounders are getting RIDICULOUS contracts!" As for Revis, if you look at the earlier years of his contract he was actually paid pretty well for his production. But yeah, obviously he's worth more than $1M, although I don't really agree with his insistence on getting an Al Davis-type of deal. Just because one guy's nutty enough to give a CB starting QB-like money doesn't mean you're entitled to the same kind of ridiculous deal. Just think what would happen if WRs started looking at Heyward-Bey's salary v. his production and started demanding that kind of money. You'd have guys like Brandon Marshall asking for $60M a year.

RSConn5
08-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Haha yeah im pretty sure all of the other owners should get together and establish that contracts given out by Al Daivs should in no way be used as a benchmark for other player contracts. The Raiders just don't count as an NFL team.

bluestree
08-08-2010, 11:55 AM
One of the things that is hard for me to swallow is the concept of "outplaying" your contract. A good example is Javon Walker. He signed his rookie deal with the Packers, spent the first year struggling to learn the playbook, did little his second as he learned to read defenses, then in his third he finally had a good season catching mostly jump balls from Favre, and immediately starts his hold out, because he finally did something. He "outplayed" his contract in his opinion, because he actually cought some balls! Now, let's go to Chris Johnson. Totally different scenario. He's great right out of the gate, leads the league, and therefore wants more money. "I'm better than you thought I was so give me more money!" Still a tough concept for the guy on the street to deal with, but more justified. Thing is, when you sign the contract, you don't say "For this I will give 85%", it's kind of ridiculous. Maybe the best thing would be a standardized system of paying for perfomance. The league would like performance based pay, but it would be tough on the players, because factors that have nothing to do with effort and ability effect production.

imiweli
08-09-2010, 04:16 AM
They should do an NBA style rookie scale, they way the top pick still gets paid handsomely but not a ridiculous amount (Bradford, Suh, Stafford etc)

That way teams like the Raiders who miss on the top overall pick arent hamstrung for many years. Also it would encourage teams to trade up into the top 5 picks, which never happens anymore outside of Sanchez.

StaggerMcTipsy
08-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Hey, I'm fine with players getting paid for "outplaying" their contracts -- as long as their pay can also be adjusted for "underplaying" their contracts. For instance, JaMarcus Russell, after his first 4 starts, would have been playing for roughly $9.35 an hour.

Curtis
10-13-2012, 08:56 AM
Speaking of caps, someone needs to bust some in these spammers.