PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Fame Induction Speeches

bluestree
08-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Just finished watching the inductees to the HOF give their speeches. Inspirational, as always. For me some of the high points were the Steelers being there for Dick LeBeau, Floyd Little's very moving motivational, and Randy Jackson's real, honest conversation. Emmitt was great, John Randle very brief and truly modest. It was worth the watch.

BuckeyeRidley
08-07-2010, 10:37 PM
I agree Blues; Love watching it Every Year!!! The event, for me, officially kicks off football!! Gotta start the season with the Men (& women) that made the Game Great! LOVE IT!!

BuckeyeRidley
08-07-2010, 10:38 PM
I agree Blues; Love watching it Every Year!!! The event, for me, officially kicks off football!! Gotta start the season with the Men (& women) that made the Game Great! LOVE IT!!

I say women because Lesley Visser is inducted & Hopefully soon Cris' fellow associate Andrea Kremer will be inducted.

Andy Freeland
08-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Emmitt Smith talking about Darryl Johnston was the best moment for me.

BuckeyeRidley
08-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Also, Hope the Steelers players appreciate & love the league better because of witnessing the induction in person & hearing the stories from Legends

BuckeyeRidley
08-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Emmitt Smith talking about Darryl Johnston was the best moment for me.

True! He got emotional for the first time then & the crowd did their "Moose" call!! Loved the emotion Emmitt still has!

bluestree
08-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Forgot to mention Russ Grimm. As usual, lineman get no respect.

BuckeyeRidley
08-08-2010, 02:06 AM
Forgot to mention Russ Grimm. As usual, lineman get no respect.

Glad that you got him after all! Remember, Offensive Linemen are the most inducted position in the Pro Football Hall of Fame!

Pattrick
08-08-2010, 01:30 PM
I was disappointed at how poorly Jerry Rice's speech was given. He should have had a better speech coach and should have practiced it a few times before he read it aloud. I love Rice, he's the greatest player of all time but that speech really was a let down. Seeing Eddie D. again was nice, I miss having that man in the nfl!!

souza
08-08-2010, 01:37 PM
I was disappointed at how poorly Jerry Rice's speech was given. He should have had a better speech coach and should have practiced it a few times before he read it aloud. I love Rice, he's the greatest player of all time but that speech really was a let down. Seeing Eddie D. again was nice, I miss having that man in the nfl!!

Pattrick, I could not agree more about being let down by Rice's speech for a number of reasons... especially in light of some of the other passionate, stirring speeches last night

RogerH
08-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Also, Hope the Steelers players appreciate & love the league better because of witnessing the induction in person & hearing the stories from Legends

What's wrong with the Steelers appreciation of the game (one big, disgraceful exception under center duly noted)? I laughed for a long while at LeBeau mentioning the words "integrity" and "Jim Tressel" in the same sentence. What do you think, Santonio?

williwonte
08-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Once again the HOF shown itself for what it is. It is a media driven circus. Speech coaches, acting, phony histrionics. This is football players, but then it isn't here. The players don't pick the inductees. It is a bunch of sportswriters. What percentage of O line make it? HOF is for the glamorous. If it was real HOF, a team would be inducted, not an individual.

BubbaLove
08-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Once again the HOF shown itself for what it is. It is a media driven circus. Speech coaches, acting, phony histrionics. This is football players, but then it isn't here. The players don't pick the inductees. It is a bunch of sportswriters. What percentage of O line make it? HOF is for the glamorous. If it was real HOF, a team would be inducted, not an individual.

I'm pretty certain that the OL has more inductees than any other position.

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/positions.aspx

williwonte
08-12-2010, 11:01 PM
According to the NFL HOF, there were 36 OL and 23 QB. So mathematics says you need to rethink your comment. There is no parity.

msclemons
08-12-2010, 11:09 PM

Jerry Rice has always been horrible at public speaking. Remember his commercials in the Bay Area? He made Montana look Oscar worthy.

A guy can't be the GOAT at everything I suppose. I really think Rice gets nervous; in more relaxed situations he speaks really well. Put him on stage and the poor guy turns into a marionette.

KeithRyanCartwright
08-14-2010, 07:14 AM

Williwonte, lets be fair. I think, there's a little more to it than simply saying, "It's a bunch of sportwriters."

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/SelectionProcessFAQ.aspx

But to your question of, "What percentage of O line make it?" I don't know the percentage, but it's a shame that Jerry Kramer hasn't been inducted.

ScottDCP
08-14-2010, 08:27 AM
According to the NFL HOF, there were 36 OL and 23 QB. So mathematics says you need to rethink your comment. There is no parity.

There are five kinds of offensive linemen, and only one of quarterback, so applying a simple extrapolation gives a slightly skewed ratio. It's an even bigger divide than it appears to be at first glance.