PDA

View Full Version : Trade Pennington ?

DM138385
08-10-2010, 10:33 PM
The whispers in Miami are starting to get a little louder about the Dolphins possibly trading Chad Pennington before the start of the season. At what price would you be willing to give up possibly the best backup QB for 2010, a 2nd, a 3rd round pick? If the NFL has shown us anything it is the value of #2 QB that your team has faith in, if it's me I'm keeping Pennington as an insurance policy on Henne getting hurt or not being able to handle the #1 job.

msclemons
08-10-2010, 10:42 PM
I can't see letting Pennington go for less than a #2 at this point. Depending on training camps some teams could be pretty desperate for a QB. If the Dplhins are going to settle for a #3 or #4 why not wait until after the season and have the security of a proven backup during the season.

Bengals1181
08-10-2010, 10:49 PM
if I ran the Bengals I'd give you a 5th rounder easy tomorrow. Would give you more if he weren't 34.

No team is going to give a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him. That's a pipe dream.

Turk Schonert
08-10-2010, 10:54 PM
When I hear that Miami is thinking about trading Pennington my first thought is that Chad isn't completely healthy. Pat White hasn't exactly been wowing the coaching staff. Miami has 2 late season games at in climate weather stadiums (NE, Jets) and they might not think that Pennington would be an effective QB if he had to play in those stadiums. Miami will push the ball down the field more this year with the acquisition of Marshall, that's not Chad's strength. I would think that Miami has a plan to get another QB if they trade Chad. My guess is that they won't get anything more than a 4th round pick if they trade for a draft choice.

msclemons
08-10-2010, 10:58 PM
if I ran the Bengals I'd give you a 5th rounder easy tomorrow. Would give you more if he weren't 34.

Pennington is 34? Dangit, I'm really getting old.

DM138385
08-10-2010, 11:42 PM

After the Hall Of Fame game you better up that to a #4. :)

Tinindian
08-11-2010, 12:04 AM
His value to the team is greater than his trade value. But thats through my eyes. If we could get (pipe dream) a 2nd or maybe a 3rd for him I'd have to really consider it. I don't see that as a likely possibility. I would keep him and cut freakin' Pat White.

Bengals1181
08-11-2010, 12:17 AM
After the Hall Of Fame game you better up that to a #4. :)

ha, tempting.

InNOutBurgler
08-11-2010, 07:29 AM
I'll reserve judgment for the preseason when White and Thigpen look to get a lot of work, but right now I'm thinking cut or reassign white to receiver...Trading Pennington I would only do if I could get a #2 for him, which won't happen. Pennington only works for some teams as well, he could not be an effective QB for teams like Oakland or Cincy with their vertical passing games. He's a good fit for Miami and I still have a lot of concerns about Henne...I'd prefer if he just decided to be Steve DeBerg 2.0 and hung around for 6 years as a professional, dependable backup who can win you a few games in a pinch or at least not lose them.

sphinx
08-12-2010, 05:52 PM
His value to the team is greater than his trade value. But thats through my eyes. If we could get (pipe dream) a 2nd or maybe a 3rd for him I'd have to really consider it. I don't see that as a likely possibility. I would keep him and cut freakin' Pat White.

I absolutely agree. A veteran willing to coach up a younger QB and quietly accept his reserve role is rare. I also highly doubt any team would give up more than a 4th rounder for Pennington coming off a season ending injury.

PumpknOne
08-16-2010, 02:01 AM
When I hear that Miami is thinking about trading Pennington my first thought is that Chad isn't completely healthy. Pat White hasn't exactly been wowing the coaching staff. Miami has 2 late season games at in climate weather stadiums (NE, Jets) and they might not think that Pennington would be an effective QB if he had to play in those stadiums. Miami will push the ball down the field more this year with the acquisition of Marshall, that's not Chad's strength. I would think that Miami has a plan to get another QB if they trade Chad. My guess is that they won't get anything more than a 4th round pick if they trade for a draft choice.

Well if he is not right medically, then I wouldn't want him. But otherwise I would give Lynch, or a 2nd round pick. I think he would be a good stop gap QB until Luck or Locker get settled in during the 2012 season. :)

PumpknOne
08-16-2010, 02:04 AM
Well if he is not right medically, then I wouldn't want him. But otherwise I would give Lynch, or a 2nd round pick. I think he would be a good stop gap QB until Luck or Locker get settled in during the 2012 season. :)

But I don't think they should trade him. I think the fish have a good shot at winning the division this year and the NFL is about depth. And what better than to have depth at the most important position?

InNOutBurgler
08-16-2010, 02:06 AM

As if we'd trade him to the filthy Bills!!! lol...just messing around man...actually we might because honestly it isn't even funny anymore how much you guys get jerked around. Buffalo is a team you should always have to respect...like Oakland, the NFL is worse when you suck. Plus you have two Penn Staters...so I can't hate you anymore.

InNOutBurgler
08-16-2010, 02:07 AM
But.....the K Gun did ruin my adolescence.

PumpknOne
08-16-2010, 02:33 AM

That makes me feel better.

GoBigOrGoHome
08-16-2010, 02:39 AM
Fast forward 10 years...Chad Pennington will be coaching in the NFL. Well.

Keeo that guy on your roster.

PhinsJunkie
08-16-2010, 08:29 AM

My adolescence was ruined by Tom Olivadotti; the worst defensive coordinator of all time. How he kept his job year after year was a mystery to me. Marino would have won a super bowl had we had even an "average" defense. We had good players on defense, but we could not scheme or gameplan to save our lives!!!

For nine years, the team was christened the "Olfans", because they had no "D". The Dolphins consistently put up big numbers. Unfortunately, so did every team we played.

I still go to confession asking for forgiveness for my many attempts on Olivadotti's life.

InNOutBurgler
08-16-2010, 09:12 AM
My adolescence was ruined by Tom Olivadotti; the worst defensive coordinator of all time. How he kept his job year after year was a mystery to me. Marino would have won a super bowl had we had even an "average" defense. We had good players on defense, but we could not scheme or gameplan to save our lives!!!

For nine years, the team was christened the "Olfans", because they had no "D". The Dolphins consistently put up big numbers. Unfortunately, so did every team we played.

I still go to confession asking for forgiveness for my many attempts on Olivadotti's life.

Damn you sir!! Damn you for bringing up that name!!

PhinsJunkie
08-16-2010, 09:28 AM
Damn you sir!! Damn you for bringing up that name!!

That name has been on my bounty list for years until Jimmy Johnson fired him and put me out of my mysery. Don Shula was too loyal to Olivadotti for some reason. And I've never forgiven Miami's local media for not raising the question of defense enough. Shame on the Herald, Sun Sentinal and WQAM for not pressing the issue. He would have never survived in a real sports town; yeah I said it...

mango
08-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Chad has a starter mentality and still believes he is one of the better QBs. Maybe the Dolphins are thinking about next year knowing Pennington will be somewhere else.
Front offices have always had a get what you can mentality, if they trade Penninton they better get something good, remember the Dolphins passed on Drew Brees
because he was coming off a shoulder injury.

Tinindian
08-16-2010, 03:12 PM

You had to do it, didn't you! Tom Olivaduddi is absoloutely the worst DC to ever coach on a team. I was so sick of watching his bend don't break schemes that always broke that I was ready for Shula to go. Don Shula was always extremely loyal to his guys, but his loyalty to Olivaduddi was mind boggling. Tom Olivadotti - I still hate that guy. Ya know I need to go back to that poll and change my answer for that because I really do hate that guy!

PhinsJunkie
08-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Agreed, he was the reason I was so anxious to get rid of Shula. Olivadotti could not scheme against a pop warner team. He made our defense soft and caused every offensive coordinator to look like a genius. I still hate him...

BuckeyeRidley
08-16-2010, 10:41 PM
I think that Pennington is worth the keep but I think that he is going to have to settle being a back-up QB in the league now. Appreciate his contributions but I think that Henne is gonna be in there and be able to do well (He's a U of M guy, I know! *cringes* LOL!).

Jaco
08-16-2010, 11:03 PM
I'd give you Curtis Painter straight up for him. I'll take the hit. You owe me, though.

Colts01
08-16-2010, 11:33 PM
I'd give you Curtis Painter straight up for him. I'll take the hit. You owe me, though.

I will better that Jaco,I will give them Painter and a couple of clipboards

msclemons
08-17-2010, 12:35 AM
I will better that Jaco,I will give them Painter and a couple of clipboards

Careful, one of those clipboards is actually Jim Caldwell.

PumpknOne
08-17-2010, 01:45 PM
I'll up the Bills offer, Lynch and a 3rd.

Tinindian
08-17-2010, 03:54 PM
I ain't biting on Lynch. Thanks, but no Thanks. As far as Painter goes, just send the clipboards.

RSConn5
08-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Is Tyler Thigpen still on the Dolphins' roster??? If he is i think he can be a very capable backup. He made some plays whenever he got his chance in KC.

Tinindian
08-17-2010, 04:17 PM
He is. I think the Dolphins have the best Qb situation from top to bottom in the league. Henne, Pennington and Thigpen. Admittedly, the jury is still out on Henne, but I don't know of any roster that has 3 Qb's on it that have each started and won in the NFL. I would be interested if there is anymore.

Oh yeah, Pat Whites there for know too.

PhinsJunkie
08-18-2010, 07:48 AM
He is. I think the Dolphins have the best Qb situation from top to bottom in the league. Henne, Pennington and Thigpen. Admittedly, the jury is still out on Henne, but I don't know of any roster that has 3 Qb's on it that have each started and won in the NFL. I would be interested if there is anymore.

Oh yeah, Pat Whites there for know too.

The Steelers QB situation is hard to compete with. They have Roethlisberger, Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch. The Ravens are not bad with Joe Flacco, Marc Bulger and Troy Smith.

Chompurself
08-19-2010, 10:20 PM
If I were the Dolphins I'd definitely keep him around, he could still be your best QB, we don't know what Chad Henne can do yet as a #1 QB......keep Pennington around in case Henne hits the wall or gets hurt......if some team is desperate enough to offer you a second round draft pick (unlikely) then you gotta take it but otherwise keep him as your back up you may need him

PumpknOne
08-19-2010, 10:40 PM
I ain't biting on Lynch. Thanks, but no Thanks. As far as Painter goes, just send the clipboards.

Ok. Lynch, a 3rd and 6th this year (2011) and a 6th next year (2012).

Were PAYING you to take him, please.

PumpknOne
08-19-2010, 10:44 PM

AND if Pennington starts more than 6 games in either of the next two seasons, the 2012 pick becomes a 3rd.

Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Tinindian
08-19-2010, 11:31 PM

Nope! No Lynch! LOL!

PhinsJunkie
08-20-2010, 10:26 AM
I agree. I want no parts of Lynch. He absolutely can't be trusted regardless of his talents. I would send Pennington to Buffalo for Lee Evans straight up. Imagine having Marshall and Evans on opposite sides with Bess and/or Hartline in the slot. With our running game and possible stellar defense, I would match us up against any team in the league.

Tinindian
08-20-2010, 10:44 AM
With CJ Spillers performance last night, I thought he was terrific, they could just cut Lynch and be done with it. However, he does have some ability and the Bills should be able to get something for him. Just not Pennington!

PhinsJunkie
08-20-2010, 11:06 AM
With CJ Spillers performance last night, I thought he was terrific, they could just cut Lynch and be done with it. However, he does have some ability and the Bills should be able to get something for him. Just not Pennington!

I would do it for Tyler Thigpen. He performed great under Chan Gailey in Kansas City when he was given the chance. I'm surprised a trade has not already happened. But I don't see them cutting Lynch. Every team in the league would jump all over him especially the Patriots.

Tinindian
08-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Thigpen isn't going anywhere. Let's look past this year. Henne should be the starter and Pennington will probably be gone to another team of his own volition. White, I expect, will be cut in the final cutdown this year (he hasn't improved and is still an interception machine) so if we trade Thigpen, who is our backup? Who would be our 3rd QB?

I don't see Thigpen going anywhere at this point.

PhinsJunkie
08-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Backup QBs are everywhere in this league and they are recycled more than head coaches. It would not be hard for us to get a serviceable backup. Bulger went to the Ravens, Letwich went to the Steelers, Carr went to the Niners, Brunnell went to the Jets, Grossman went to the Redskins. Not to mention Jeff Garcia when to the CFL because he couldn't land an NFL job..... Every year this changes. So, I think we are putting way more importance on backups than they are worth.

Now if Gailey offered Lynch for Thigpen, with the uncertainty of Ricky Williams playing beyond this year and Ronnie Brown in the last year of his contract, I think Parcells will jump on it. Plus Lynch will come cheap and motivated to prove his worth.

PumpknOne
08-22-2010, 01:24 AM
The Steelers QB situation is hard to compete with. They have Roethlisberger, Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch. The Ravens are not bad with Joe Flacco, Marc Bulger and Troy Smith.

Batch is great if the next in line is the punter. He has a career 77 passer rating, he has never thrown for more than 13 TDs in a season, and if you combine his career fumbles lost and interceptions thrown he has turned the ball over just as much as he has scored (57 TDs & 56 turnovers). Awesome.

Smith has done nothing.

If you had omitted those two names I would have agreed with your point. But this was a case of subtraction by addition. :)

PumpknOne
08-22-2010, 01:30 AM
I agree. I want no parts of Lynch. He absolutely can't be trusted regardless of his talents. I would send Pennington to Buffalo for Lee Evans straight up. Imagine having Marshall and Evans on opposite sides with Bess and/or Hartline in the slot. With our running game and possible stellar defense, I would match us up against any team in the league.

Yeah, no problem. We'll serve up our only proven WR on the roster. Tell you what, we'll throw in the hope diamond too.

Tinindian
08-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Yeah, no problem. We'll serve up our only proven WR on the roster. Tell you what, we'll throw in the hope diamond too.

LOL! Hope Diamond!

PhinsJunkie
08-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Batch is great if the next in line is the punter. He has a career 77 passer rating, he has never thrown for more than 13 TDs in a season, and if you combine his career fumbles lost and interceptions thrown he has turned the ball over just as much as he has scored (57 TDs & 56 turnovers). Awesome.

Smith has done nothing.

If you had omitted those two names I would have agreed with your point. But this was a case of subtraction by addition. :)

Be that as it may, both Batch and Smith could start for the Bills. No question about it...

PhinsJunkie
08-22-2010, 08:03 PM

You've got a "proven" wide reciever with nobody to get him that ball. I'm surprised there's a Bills fan who knows what the hope diamond is. You guys are not known for the wine and cheese crowd. You're a rare breed...

PumpknOne
08-22-2010, 09:10 PM
You've got a "proven" wide reciever with nobody to get him that ball. I'm surprised there's a Bills fan who knows what the hope diamond is. You guys are not known for the wine and cheese crowd. You're a rare breed...

Football is not a wine and cheese sport. You want wine and cheese, go to a Panthers game. There are plenty of fair weather fans there who don't know **** about football.

PumpknOne
08-22-2010, 09:17 PM

Thanks Captain Obvious. I thought I ended up in this forum because we were set at QB.

Pattrick
08-22-2010, 09:21 PM
it's all fun and games until name calling begins, guys, then someones feelings get hurt and then Mom and Dad have to get involved..

Turk would be the Mom, I think. No disrespect. Certain Mother's command an awful lot of respect.

PhinsJunkie
08-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Football is not a wine and cheese sport. You want wine and cheese, go to a Panthers game. There are plenty of fair weather fans there who don't know **** about football.

Who died and made you king of football gourmet? I happen to enjoy my wine and cheese! And I don't need to be a Panther fan for that. Must be nice to be a "super fan". Last I check, tickets cost the same for everyone regardless of your food choice.

PhinsJunkie
08-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks Captain Obvious. I thought I ended up in this forum because we were set at QB.

Can't ever assume the obvious for Bills fans. You guys have not made the playoffs in 10 years since Wycheck's pass to Dyson. Gailey passed on three good quarterbacks to pick up a RB when you had two starting capable backs on your roster. Last I check, QB was the problem. It was obvious to me. So what may be obvious to me, is oblivious to the Bills organization... Just like super bowl wins.

msclemons
08-23-2010, 02:53 AM
it's all fun and games until name calling begins, guys, then someones feelings get hurt and then Mom and Dad have to get involved..

Turk would be the Mom, I think. No disrespect. Certain Mother's command an awful lot of respect.

You have to admit, the divisional rivalries add some spice to the NFL season. Especially the East coast rivalries. Those folks hate each other.

Tinindian
08-23-2010, 12:49 PM
No, there is not alot of love lost between any fans in the AFC East. None of us are bigots though, we hate each other equally!

Tinindian
08-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Well, Maybe we hate Jets fans a little bit more. Nobody's perfect.

Pattrick
08-23-2010, 08:04 PM
You have to admit, the divisional rivalries add some spice to the NFL season. Especially the East coast rivalries. Those folks hate each other.

Yes they do. I admit it brings spice but it just looked like it was going down the "not nice things being said" road. I had to BGR them a little...

InNOutBurgler
08-24-2010, 04:46 AM
No, there is not alot of love lost between any fans in the AFC East. None of us are bigots though, we hate each other equally!

I don't hate equally...I can't bring myself to HATE the Pats....they sucked balls for so long and they run their organization the way I like to see it run. I want to hate them but I can't. I admire and respect them and the Fins always play them tough, Brady's QB rating is like 70 something against them. I mostly hate the Bills because they ruined my adolescence. But no one come close to my hatred of the Jets.....

By the way...about the wine and cheese thing...who the F wants a wine and cheese crowd at a ballgame? Even if that's your thing you're supposed to pretend it isn't at a game. Go to a USC game or a Padres game sometime...wine and cheese everywhere...and it's just like being lobotomized.

Tinindian
08-24-2010, 10:09 AM
I never used to have too much trouble with the Patsies until they lost all class and started blatantly running up the score on teams in 2007. The Jets are always at the top of the hate list, but the Bills and the Patsies are never too far behind.

Agree, the wine and cheese crowd needs to stay home.

PumpknOne
08-24-2010, 11:52 AM
I never used to have too much trouble with the Patsies until they lost all class and started blatantly running up the score on teams in 2007. The Jets are always at the top of the hate list, but the Bills and the Patsies are never too far behind.

Agree, the wine and cheese crowd needs to stay home.

I am a red wine guy, but I agree. Nothin but lots of beer and man food at a game. Start drinking and eating at 7am and stop about 9pm (for a 1pm game).

As for the AFC East hate, it's the Pats for most Bills fans right now. We tend to hate who we can't beat. That's why we hated the fish so much. You guys beat the hell out of us for almost two decades until we flipped the script in the late 80's and the 90's.

Tinindian
08-24-2010, 09:04 PM
I am a red wine guy, but I agree. Nothin but lots of beer and man food at a game. Start drinking and eating at 7am and stop about 9pm (for a 1pm game).

You and I think alike!

PhinsJunkie
08-24-2010, 10:27 PM
"Nothin but lots of beer and man food at a game. Start drinking and eating at 7am and stop about 9pm (for a 1pm game)."

Quite an accomplishment. I'm sure you're very proud of yourself.

PhinsJunkie
08-24-2010, 10:32 PM
"Agree, the wine and cheese crowd needs to stay home"

Who says wine and cheese can't appreciate football? Do you think owners of the teams are bratwurst and beer eating people? Think again. To each his own, but the idea that real fans only drink beer or eat "man food" is idiotic.