PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Brooks retired

damgenius
08-11-2010, 12:47 PM
I heard Derrick Brooks retired. I think he should get in the Hall of Fame. Do you all agree?

StarvinMarvin
08-11-2010, 12:57 PM
I think he should, quite possibly 1st ballot. The man had game.

Cris Collinsworth
08-11-2010, 02:34 PM
I am so going after Derrick Brooks for this site. I am a fan of his on and off the field. Wish me luck.

damgenius
08-11-2010, 02:47 PM
I still wear my Derrick Brooks jersey all the time. He is one of my favorite players of all time and I would LOVE to see him on this site!

DannyMilk
08-11-2010, 06:10 PM
I was a huge fan of Brooks...not quite sure if he'll make the HOF right away, I think in due time he will. MY VOTE is yes though! And Good Luck Cris! Keep em coming...obviously none of your recruits have left yet!!! haha

Pruitt
08-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Doesn't matter of it's first ballot or not, he'll make it to Canton.

Guy was a rock. The type of player I'd watch and just wish that he was on my team.

BubbaLove
08-11-2010, 08:44 PM
1st ballot HOF. Great, great player.

Wordsworth
08-12-2010, 06:48 AM
Played 224 games for TB which is a franchise record. Eleven pro bowls. Nine All-Pro selections. 2002 Defensive POY. 1,698 tackles, 13.5 sacks, 25 INTs, 6 TDs. Those are some great numbers.

Tinindian
08-12-2010, 09:18 AM
He is clearly a HOFer. I don't think that he'll get in first ballot, even though he should.

Andy Freeland
08-12-2010, 09:48 AM
He's a HOFer, but I doubt he's a first ballot HOFer. The HOF voters have created a tiered system, though I don't know why. If someone isn't a HOFer 5 years after he retired, how much better is he going to get? Here's a great page from the HOF showing the first ballot HOFers and those that had to wait: http://www.profootballhof.com/history/eligibility.aspx

There's no shame in waiting: John Madden, Allen Page, Bill Wlash, Mike Webster, Michael Irvin, James Lofton, Kellen Winslow, Len Dawson, Fran Tarkenton, Night Train Lane, Jim Taylor, Paul Hornung, Lynn Swann and even Bud Grant all waited anywhere from 1 to 27 years.

ScottDCP
08-12-2010, 09:49 AM
I am so going after Derrick Brooks for this site. I am a fan of his on and off the field. Wish me luck.

Good fortune and favorable winds.

ReaderM
08-15-2010, 04:54 PM

Luck... if you get him on here, I might send you pics of me doing cartwheels, that's how ecstatic I would be. Also on the subject of his retiring, I've been busy for the last week so I haven't the opportunity to post really but this is what Brooks meant to me.

I make no qualms that I'm a huge Warren Sapp fan but while Sapp was the person was the player who I want to emulate on the field, Brooks is the player/ the man who I want to represent off it. There is nothing that we can say that can describe the class and professionalism he showed week after week. Some people complain about the knuckleheads that they have on their team and wish there were more high character guys. Well Tampa Bay fans KNEW that we had one of the greatest players ever to grace the NFL and one of the greatest leaders and spokesman off of it. Brooks was a man that a father could point to his son at a young age and say,this is how you play the game. Brooks, for a young Tampa Bay fan growing up during your Prime there are not enough words to express how much you were valued and I thank you for all that you did. Your retirement ceremony was nothing but the epitome of class and I thank you for allowing us to partake with you. God Bless in whatever you do in this next phase of your life and know that at least here you will always have a fan for life.