PDA

View Full Version : In Yer Head

Jaco
08-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Sometimes teams get an opponent in their head, and that's exactly what has happened to the Houston Texans in regard to the Colts. They're 1-15 all time against them, and they've been going crazy in camp expressing that their #1 goal is beating Indy. This is all pre-preseason.

NFL Fanhouse:
As the 2010 NFL season approaches, when it comes to the Houston Texans one thing is becoming more and more clear. There is one major goal: Beat the Indianapolis Colts. That is a pretty obvious assessment, but the Texans have made it clear to an unusual extent during training camp, first with Owner Bob McNair expressing that view to USA Today and most recently with Texans Quarterback Matt Schaub very candidly and publicly reiterating the stance. "It starts with beating the (Indianapolis) Colts..."
(http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/08/10/houston-texans-2010-goal-beat-the-indianapolis-colts/?ncid=txtlnkusspor00000002)

Houston Chronicle:
On Sunday the Texans rested, but that doesn't mean they were permitted to forget about the Indianapolis Colts. "I think about them every day," middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans said...Which is what owner Bob McNair wants to hear. The Colts are weighing heavily on his mind. "That game needs to be our focus," McNair said. "We use (training camp) to get ready, but we want to get ready for Indianapolis. There's no more important game than that one. We've got to be ready. That's a game that can get us started on the right foot . It's exciting for me just to think about it."
McNair and Ryans then are of the same mind. "Our main focus already is on beating Indianapolis," the defensive captain said. "We've got to find a way to beat them, and it starts now."
(http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7145244.html)

Last I've got Peter King, who visited Colts camp today for a response:
[M]ore than a few Colts have noticed how inflamed the Texans are about the game. "It's like the most important game in the history of their franchise, from what we're hearing out of there,'' said one Colt veteran. "They might be putting a little too much emphasis on it.'' Well, having been there, I can tell you this: The Texans won't feel they're any good -- really any good -- until they can summit Mount Manning.
(http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/08/11/colts.postcard/index.html)

Now the questions: Should the Texans really be judging the success of their franchise this year on one game - especially the opening game? After all of the emphasis they're putting on this game, would a loss psychologically devastate the team this season? Finally, can anyone think of any other team which has a psychological edge this great over another?

Pruitt
08-11-2010, 09:13 PM
It makes sense. I remember back in the day when the Browns could NEVER beat the Steelers. EVER!!!

Worse was the 21 game losing run the Bills had against the Dolphins. They are now building a similar streak against the Pats.

Sometimes, a team plays in such a way that it seems when the first call or bounce goes against them.. It's over. I am a neutral when it comes to the Colts-Texans, but after seeing a few of Indy's recent wins against Houston, I believe that this is one of those streaks.

Polishguy00
08-11-2010, 09:27 PM
I don't think it is a smart thing to let a team in your head. It could lead to guys pressing even more.

One funny thought, though, since the Colts were brought up. Imagine if Peyton had NOT had that 4th quarter comeback in 2006. What if he still had no ring? Imagine how much ESPN would talk about that every year. The best QB argument would be less fun, because, come on, the Lovie Smith would have had circles run around him by Belichick. Because of that comeback we can have very long arguments between Brees, Manning and Brady.

Jaco
08-11-2010, 10:40 PM
I don't think it is a smart thing to let a team in your head. It could lead to guys pressing even more.

One funny thought, though, since the Colts were brought up. Imagine if Peyton had NOT had that 4th quarter comeback in 2006. What if he still had no ring? Imagine how much ESPN would talk about that every year. The best QB argument would be less fun, because, come on, the Lovie Smith would have had circles run around him by Belichick. Because of that comeback we can have very long arguments between Brees, Manning and Brady.

That's a good point. Right before the Super Bowl, there were people in the media saying that if he won, he might be the GOAT. That's a huge turnaround in four years. And though I'm a homer through and through, not a whole lot changed in those four years. Peyton's been statistically good year after year, and it's not like that was his first mega-comeback either. Do you remember that IND-TB MNF game (I think in 2003), the year after TB won the Super Bowl? Madden and Michaels were calling that the best defense of all time during the game, and the Colts ended up scoring like a thousand points in only a couple of minutes. That was the game Dungy went back to TB on his birthday. He recently said that was the game when he knew the franchise had turned around.

The Colts haven't won multiple championships. Wouldn't it make more sense (unless you're in their division) to build toward beating a team like the Steelers, as they've had more recent Super Bowl victories? Why would a guy like Rex Ryan come out and say Peyton "stole two rings" from him and talk about beating the Colts when he's got the Pats and Phins to worry about? I would have thought that if coaches and players were going to all flustered over the prospect of playing him, it would have started in 2004.

I love Peyton, but I don't understand why they'd be this obsessed. I guess, as Yogi Berra said, "[Sports are] ninety percent mental, and the other half is physical." Everybody's sudden infatuation seems to be less about stats and more about perception. Thank God they beat the Patriots. :)

msclemons
08-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Now I've got Cranberries stuck in my head. Die! Die!

Andy Freeland
08-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Now I've got Cranberries stuck in my head. Die! Die!

The band or the berry? Are you speaking metaphorically, or do you literally have cranberries stuck in your head?

msclemons
08-11-2010, 11:22 PM
All of the above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daPgZp9KnlM

iwatt
08-12-2010, 10:57 AM
My problem with Peyton Manning is that he really hasn't lived up to his own standards in the post-season. I was about to change that opinion this last year, when he took apart the Jets secondary in the second half of the AFC Championship game. That was freaking amazing.

But then he threw that pick, and I know a lot of apologist tried to blame Reggie Wayne, but the truth is that a second year Corner saw something that made him jump the route. That's on the QB. If Manning is going to get all the credit for running his own plays, then he has to take the blame for them as well.

Finally, the regular season MVP is a curse. When was the last time a winner of the regular season MVP won the Superbowl?