PDA

View Full Version : Is Training Camp really that bad?

ElShay
08-13-2010, 12:39 AM
Every year a number of high profile players decide to have surgery or minor procedures at a later date so that their return to the team occurs after training camp has already started. There are some that retire at the end of the season only to return in mid to late August (not mentioning names or anything).

Training camp is crucial to players that are trying to make the team or keep their jobs as starters, but it seems like its not that important to some of the players that are guaranteed their spot.

Is training camp really that bad that some players forgo vast sums of money just to have a couple extra weeks off? Are injury concerns the primary reason for this?

msclemons
08-13-2010, 12:46 AM
The established players don't receive much for training camp. Something like a $1000 per week expense check. Between meetings, two-a-days, living in a dorm, cafeteria meals... yeah, I'm guessing guys that have been there 5 or 6 times might not want to go back.

One of the pros would know better, but it looks like players put in 12-14 hour days in training camp. No days off. If I was good enough to have a guaranteed spot I might want to skip a few days in August too.

BuckeyeRidley
08-13-2010, 12:51 AM
I've always heard that Vets hate Training Camp! Why do you think Brett Favre is waffling for so long? LOL! I think that he has to think about him & his family but he's also got a mission to miss training camp! LOL!

StaggerMcTipsy
08-13-2010, 01:02 AM
In Michael Strahan's book he said the $250,000 he was fined for missing training camp during the year of his holdout was the "best money he's ever spent," and that he'd have gladly given up $1M to skip 4 years of training camp. (Not positive those monetary figures are correct, but that's the way I remember 'em.)

Dave Lapham
08-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Once you are a veteran player of a few seasons training camp can drag on and on. You have heard all of the speeches more than once. (Paul Brown gave the EXACT same speech to the team EVERY year to begin camp). If the coaching staff is intact, you already know the playbook except for minor tweaks. If you are in good condition, that is no issue. So camp can seem to go on forever. You may be 30 years old with 2 or 3 kids and having to abide by an 11:00 curfew? My second training camp was for 9 weeks. We played 7 pre-season games that year (Hall of Fame game) and none counted for anything. I have to admit wondering how much sense that made. Because football is much more year round now, training camps and pre-seasons are much shorter. I don't see them as that big of a hardship these days.

KeithRyanCartwright
08-14-2010, 06:52 AM
"...The established players don't receive much for training camp. Something like a $1000 per week expense check..."

Really? My bad. When a guy signs a multi-million dollar contract I always thought training camp was part of the deal.

Bengals1181
08-14-2010, 01:16 PM
I've heard multiple players who when they retired said they'd still play if they didn't have to practice and workout throughout the week. If they could just go out and play on Sunday, they wouldn't retire.